Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Does slimming world really work ? im 29 5 foot 11 and 17 stone 10 , i dont eat much and of late have been watching what i eat , sometimes eating less than 500 calories a day but im still putting weight on, think about ten pounds so far this year, what am i doing wrong and can slimming world help ?

Hi Mick,

Yes, slimming world really does work. I've managed to lose over 2 stone with it at the moment and it really doesn't feel like a diet. It's more of a lifestyle change.

To be honest, by the sounds of it you're eating far too little. 500 calories a day is far too little for the human body to function. The average man should have 2500 calories per day and if it falls under 1200, your body will go into starvation mode. When your body goes into starvation mode, anything you eat will be converted to fat regardless of how healthy it is. This could explain the unaccounted weight gain.

I'd give slimming world a shot. it taught me how to make healthier and more sensible food choices while still allowing myself to eat. Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Does slimming world really work ? im 29 5 foot 11 and 17 stone 10 , i dont eat much and of late have been watching what i eat , sometimes eating less than 500 calories a day but im still putting weight on, think about ten pounds so far this year, what am i doing wrong and can slimming world help ?

Trust me it truly works. I didnt nessessarily eat a lot of food although i picked and it was all about what i eat.

Loosing weight and maintaining weight is all about what you eat not nessessarily how much you eat. I find since doing SW i am eating more than i did before, sometimes i feel i dont need to eat but it truly benefits on the scales.

Remember your body goes into starvation mode if its not getting enough food, and if you are only consuming 500 calories your body is probable doing that and then if the food isnt healthy then its hanging onto everything hence the gain of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

This week will be a challenging one! I am going to be starting my week 7 (can you believe I have got to week 7!!) of the Couch to 5K tomorrow... no more walking intervals.... Yikessssss!! :eek:

3 days of 25 min runs... bring it on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What you are doing wrong is eating less than 500 calories a day. Your body will try and hold on to what you have and you've slowed your metabolism down. You need to be eating more, eating correctly and exercising.

Slimming World will help you in terms of motivation, accountability and education. The rest is up to you.

As pointed out above though, if you have unexplained weight gain then you should probably see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Up 2.5lbs. I deserve it. But I'm still gutted. I really need to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wellyd wrote: »
    Up 2.5lbs. I deserve it. But I'm still gutted. I really need to cop on.

I'm the opposite - 2.5 down. So still .5 lbs of pizza fat left over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DivineMsM

Hi All,
    Can I join in please!
    I went to SW almost 2 years ago, but I wasn't really committed and fell on & off the wagon. Killing me how much weight I could have lost if I just stuck to it, but hey ho.
    So I have been following the plan by myself on & off since last summer. I am 2.5 stone down- very much taking the scenic route to weight loss, and I still have another 3-4 stones that I want to shift.
    I would REALLY like to be a particular weight by the end of the summer. That's a target of 23lbs down in 76 days. Am I mad, is that achievable?
    I am separated with 2 kids, so I cant get out to walk and exercise in the evenings. I bought a treadmill last week, and I intend to do 30 minutes (or more) most nights brisk walk/jog. I am so unfit, 30 minutes last night and I was in a complete sweat, which can only be good, right?
    Anyway, I haven't read through all of the thread, but looking forward to chatting to you all and hopefully getting some motivation & tips from you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Took the week off as I was on a stags at the weekend and knew I'd have no chance of eating well

Did play football on Saturday though and felt great throughout the hour. Last time I played I was dead after 5 minutes. BEaring in mind I don't exercise, I was delighted

Back on plan now for next Monday, a maintain would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

DivineMsM wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Can I join in please!
    I went to SW almost 2 years ago, but I wasn't really committed and fell on & off the wagon. Killing me how much weight I could have lost if I just stuck to it, but hey ho.
    So I have been following the plan by myself on & off since last summer. I am 2.5 stone down- very much taking the scenic route to weight loss, and I still have another 3-4 stones that I want to shift.
    I would REALLY like to be a particular weight by the end of the summer. That's a target of 23lbs down in 76 days. Am I mad, is that achievable?
    I am separated with 2 kids, so I cant get out to walk and exercise in the evenings. I bought a treadmill last week, and I intend to do 30 minutes (or more) most nights brisk walk/jog. I am so unfit, 30 minutes last night and I was in a complete sweat, which can only be good, right?
    Anyway, I haven't read through all of the thread, but looking forward to chatting to you all and hopefully getting some motivation & tips from you all.

Grr I had a long reply written and it didn't post!!
    Anyway welcome to the thread and good on ya for getting back on the SW plan! You've lost lots already, fair play to you.
    The plan has changed a bit since you were a member so make sure to sit in on the new members talk at least once so you can get it straight in your head.
    I think your aim is totally achievable as long as you do it by the book. You sound determined and ready, which is so important.
    I'm the last person who should be giving advice re exercise as I am terminally lazy but consider doing the body magic challenges, some of the members of my group are doing them and it really seems to motivate them. Also, if your kids are old enough, maybe ye could go swimming or play football or whatever, something active each day as a family? Some of my friends make a point of doing this so that they have 30 minutes of activity a day even if they don't get round to other exercise, might work for you too.
    Anyway good luck with it and enjoy it! This thread is a great resource so don't hesitate to post any questions etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Hi all, I've only posted on here once and never really got the courage to after that but I have decided I need to change so I'm going to start posting, I started Slimming World in Jan at 20st 2 1/2 lb, I am about 5ft 6 and was a size 22. 6 months on I have lost 2 and a half stone and am hoovering between a size 16 and 18. Over the past few weeks I've not stuck to the plan much and last week I had a pound and a half on so decided to hit myself a swift kick and get back on track! I get weighed on a Thur so hopefully I'll be able to post every week and let you all know how I'm getting on, might give somebody else the motivated that you all have given me since Jan, thanks everybody

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    Grr I had a long reply written and it didn't post!!
    Anyway welcome to the thread and good on ya for getting back on the SW plan! You've lost lots already, fair play to you.
    The plan has changed a bit since you were a member so make sure to sit in on the new members talk at least once so you can get it straight in your head.
    I think your aim is totally achievable as long as you do it by the book. You sound determined and ready, which is so important.
    I'm the last person who should be giving advice re exercise as I am terminally lazy but consider doing the body magic challenges, some of the members of my group are doing them and it really seems to motivate them. Also, if your kids are old enough, maybe ye could go swimming or play football or whatever, something active each day as a family? Some of my friends make a point of doing this so that they have 30 minutes of activity a day even if they don't get round to other exercise, might work for you too.
    Anyway good luck with it and enjoy it! This thread is a great resource so don't hesitate to post any questions etc ;)

Thanks Dee. I'm determined today... hope it lasts!
    I work full time so I by the time I get home and get kids fed etc there isn't time for much, hence the treadmill. Will definitely get us out and about at the weekends. 'Terminally Lazy' just about sums me up TBH, so this time I am really going to make an effort. Plus I've now got a bloody big treadmill taking up space in my living room....

'Still Thinking' sounds like you are doing great, its so hard to keep motivated isn't it? I am good for a few weeks then I just get exhausted with it all.

Do you guys share recipes etc on here or is there another thread for that? I definitely need some ideas as I tend to get stuck in a rut.

Some recipes pop up, and the more the merrier. Loads of support too

Best of luck to those of you starting or re-starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

Down 2.5lbs and won slimmer of the week plus I won the raffle as well. 13.5lbs down so far.

deisemum wrote: »
    Down 2.5lbs and won slimmer of the week plus I won the raffle as well. 13.5lbs down so far.

Teacher's pet ;)
    Good on ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

If you were to have a cheat nite. Wud the nite of weight in be the best to do it. Or does it really matter when it will still affect you

If you were to have a cheat nite. Wud the nite of weight in be the best to do it. Or does it really matter when it will still affect you

Honestly try to fakeaway if you can. The syns in most takeaways are ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Honestly try to fakeaway if you can. The syns in most takeaways are ridiculous!

I didn't end up doing it in the end. Only had -1/2 down today and wud dishearten ya

I didn't end up doing it in the end. Only had -1/2 down today and wud dishearten ya

Don't be disheartened, remember the weight loss mantra: a loss is a loss is a loss is a loss is a loss (repeat ad infinitum!)

There's nothing worse than feeling disheartened but the best thing to do is try stay on plan. I was 2.5lbs up last night and as tempted I was to go to dominos, I went home and had a huge portion of diet cola chicken and today I feel better for it! Our consultant had a good chat with us a few weeks ago about cheat meals after weigh in. She said that it's not a black hole where what you eat doesn't count, it's going to reduce your loss for next week. I'd never actually thought of it like that and it made so much sense! Also about feeling disheartened, I weigh in at half 7 on mondays so I always have most of my dinner ready so that if I have a gain or feel like crap after weigh in, I can go home and have a SW friendly dinner instead of reaching for the bad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I was 1.5 down today. So lost 13.5 in total. That's a really good idea about having a sw friendly dinner ready to eat after weigh in to prevent falling off the plan!

• Advertisement

We do a huge home made curry for WI night (Monday). Loads of SW chips and boiled rice. We use about 14 syns worth of madras curry paste but that does dinner for 2 and lunch for 2 (on Tuesday!) so it's not too bad.

It feels like a takeaway but it's pretty good. We use an onion, a pepper, a carton of passata, loads of mushrooms so there's some speed food in there. A little bit of fruit after is probably needed

There's nothing worse than feeling disheartened but the best thing to do is try stay on plan. I was 2.5lbs up last night and as tempted I was to go to dominos, I went home and had a huge portion of diet cola chicken and today I feel better for it! Our consultant had a good chat with us a few weeks ago about cheat meals after weigh in. She said that it's not a black hole where what you eat doesn't count, it's going to reduce your loss for next week. I'd never actually thought of it like that and it made so much sense! Also about feeling disheartened, I weigh in at half 7 on mondays so I always have most of my dinner ready so that if I have a gain or feel like crap after weigh in, I can go home and have a SW friendly dinner instead of reaching for the bad stuff.

Hi Wellyd can I ask you how you make the diet cola chicken? I tried it last night but TBH I wasn't bowled over. I used 4 chicken breasts and lost of onions, peppers, baby corn & courgette- but only one can of diet coke. Wondering if maybe that wasn't enough?

DivineMsM wrote: »
    Hi Wellyd can I ask you how you make the diet cola chicken? I tried it last night but TBH I wasn't bowled over. I used 4 chicken breasts and lost of onions, peppers, baby corn & courgette- but only one can of diet coke. Wondering if maybe that wasn't enough?

A lot of people find it a bit bland but maybe it's just because I'm such a plain eater that I love it! I usually make a huge portion that I can use for leftovers or freeze! I use 1 carton of passata, 2 chicken stock cubes in 350ml of water, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 3 tbsp of soy sauce, 3tbsp of Worcester sauce, 2 cans of coke, 4-5 tbsp tomato purée and some mixed herbs. That makes a huge portion but I love it! I put some chicken and some mushrooms in it because I don't like other veg. But I usually throw some peppers and onions in it for my boyfriend and he loves it too. I'm such an unadventurous eater so maybe that's why I love it!

I don't think I've lost anything this week :(
    Had my little blowout last Wednesday evening, 100% on plan since, wonder if hayfever can be blamed for this one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Didnt make weight in last night but popped on the scales myself and up to 2, its been a disaster of a week. Hope when i go back next week ill be down the 2

Down half a pound, thank feck, hope for more next week.
    Lemon meringue pie hifi bars, I've got high hopes for these...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

dee_mc wrote: »
    Down half a pound, thank feck, hope for more next week.
    Lemon meringue pie hifi bars, I've got high hopes for these...

Ah I missed the free bar the other evening - couldn't stay because I had to run home and take my dog to the vet! I always use my hex b for breakfast so have never bothered with the bars - are they nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah I missed the free bar the other evening - couldn't stay because I had to run home and take my dog to the vet! I always use my hex b for breakfast so have never bothered with the bars - are they nice?

Aw, we didn't get a free bar. But yes, I bought a pack last night, and they are yummy :) very sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Oh and I stayed the same this week which I was ok with as I went over my syns at the weekend. Need to cop onto myself this week, still haven't reached my stone (3.5lb to go).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

A free bar? no chance of it from my group!

I am desperate to lose weight his week as I had put on 1.5 lbs last week and stayed the same the week previous, want to get this weight moving downwards again! :D

Testing out the group off O'Connell Street tomorrow :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement