Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

Hi Guys,

I'm new to both SW and Boards (well as a poster!)

I'm going to have a look at my first meeting next Tuesday (would go tonight but I'm going to see Chicago with my housemate :-D )

I like the idea of SW as it isn't a diet, it's a long term lifestyle change and it's been so helpful for some of my friends.

I love to exercise and eat healthily, but I lose motivation very quickly and eat a lot of junk around my healthy meals. putting all my effort to pot. So I'm hoping the group support will be exactly what I need

The thing is, I try to eat quite naturally, I don't like artificial sweeteners etc.
    also, with the exercising, I tend to try and have meals which are low in refined carbs (breads, pastas, potatoes) and higher in protein. so they tend to be meat and vegetables.

Would this fit in with the SW lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dancingshoes

I'm hoping my username will be "sexy thong" by 2013 :D:D:D

ha ha ha :D

Welcome EmmaMC, you sound like you are on the right path allready, you just need some guidance, I hope you enjoy your first meeting

use the sw online site it's brilliant for recipes and motivation

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

emma_mc123 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to both SW and Boards (well as a poster!)

I'm going to have a look at my first meeting next Tuesday (would go tonight but I'm going to see Chicago with my housemate :-D )

I like the idea of SW as it isn't a diet, it's a long term lifestyle change and it's been so helpful for some of my friends.

I love to exercise and eat healthily, but I lose motivation very quickly and eat a lot of junk around my healthy meals. putting all my effort to pot. So I'm hoping the group support will be exactly what I need

The thing is, I try to eat quite naturally, I don't like artificial sweeteners etc.
    also, with the exercising, I tend to try and have meals which are low in refined carbs (breads, pastas, potatoes) and higher in protein. so they tend to be meat and vegetables.

Would this fit in with the SW lifestyle?

Hi Emma, welcome to Boards and to the SW forum.

I'm doing the Extra Easy plan on SW which is basically as much as I want of potatoes, pasta, lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, etc., a huge range of unlimited amounts of fruit and veg (which MUST form 1/3rd of each of your three meals in order for the programme to work), plus one Healthy Option A (milk, cheese etc.) and one Health Option B (cereals & other foods with fibre) per day. Oils and fats are hugely limited so your cooking is done with low calorie spray oil. You are allowed to have up to 15 Syns per day (e.g. Curly Wurly is 6 syns.) If you have had your milk from your Healthy Option A for the day but you want some cheese, the cheese must come out of your Syns.

If you tend to limit bread, potatoes & pasta, then the Original Choice plan might be the one for you, I'm only a newbie to SW so other posters here might be able to help you more on that one!

I think if you really want to, you will fit SW into your life, I actually find it better than any programme I've ever done, I'm eating loads! I make sure all my meals are filling, my daily fruit gives me my sugar and my beloved Curly Wurly is my treat every night :). See how you get on at the meeting anyway and good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭polly27

Hi all , was down a pound, really dissapointed to be honest as was sooooo good and walked every day, i felt like crying , i know its better than being up but there has to be something im doing wrong?

• Advertisement

a loss is good polly, I feel like that as well, expecting all to come off in one week. but you said it yourself, a loss is a loss, and all that exercise is doing you good either way. good luck with the rest of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

a loss is good polly, I feel like that as well, expecting all to come off in one week. but you said it yourself, a loss is a loss, and all that exercise is doing you good either way. good luck with the rest of the week

I stayed the same again this week was motivated then ended up getting Harry ramsden fish n chips, then other night I had half a spice burger and half portion of chips. Also just remembering I was at a kids party munching galore. So I'm very lucky to stay the same. Doing bootcamp 2/3 a week now so I think that's helping as well.

To poster who lost a pound. A loss is a loss and you might see extra big loss next week.

Also not into motivation myself, too expensive for me. Sw has so much support between class, Facebook, boards and sw website.

I need big kick up the bum n really need to follow plan but it's great that the odd time u can eat chipper or cake and still lose

polly27 wrote: »
    Hi all , was down a pound, really dissapointed to be honest as was sooooo good and walked every day, i felt like crying , i know its better than being up but there has to be something im doing wrong?

You lost a pound, that's great, all those little losses add up to big results so chin up!! The efforts you put in this week might not show until next week so stay positive x

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I agree with the above 1 Lb is loss and next week you could have more than this . If you lost this much every week between now and christmas week you would have 18 lbs gone which is over a stone.
    Get your leader to look at you food diary and see where you could make improvements. Perhaps you are eating something that your are not syns or eating something that is high in syns. Also are you eating enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oldme_nume

Hey there,

Apologies if I'm asking an old question, I've tried going through old posts - lots of great support and advice here so at least I know I'm in the right place.

Just wondering if anyone has had success using SW online? I would love to go to a class but there's none in or around Dublin city centre (evenings / weekends) from what I can see, and I've been checking in on their site over the past 3 months.

If you do SW online don't you miss out on the Image therapy and all that? I've done food diaries / meal plans before it just feels very isolated and easy to slip into old habits.

I have also done WW in the past but found the points were hard to implement over time - SW just seems much more realistic!

Looking forward to your thoughts and again, sorry if this is a repeated question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lessofme

Tonight I joined Slimming World in Tullamore. The class leader is Vinnie O'Brien who has lost almost 4 stone with slimming world.
    He explained the plan well and the class was big so next week he is going to have a second class - class will be at 5.30 and 7.30.
    I can't believe that I can eat unlimited amounts of potatoes, rice, pasta, meat and veg. I have read the book a few times now. I have to do a proper shop tomorrow.
    Can any one give me any advice as someone starting off on Slimming World?

oldme_nume wrote: »
    Hey there,

Apologies if I'm asking an old question, I've tried going through old posts - lots of great support and advice here so at least I know I'm in the right place.

Just wondering if anyone has had success using SW online? I would love to go to a class but there's none in or around Dublin city centre (evenings / weekends) from what I can see, and I've been checking in on their site over the past 3 months.

If you do SW online don't you miss out on the Image therapy and all that? I've done food diaries / meal plans before it just feels very isolated and easy to slip into old habits.

I have also done WW in the past but found the points were hard to implement over time - SW just seems much more realistic!

Looking forward to your thoughts and again, sorry if this is a repeated question!

There is a class in Holles Row on Tuesday at 5.30 and 7.30 if that suited u. They have fb page think its slimming world ballyfermot/Holles row

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sierra21

Hi Polly,

I've been going for six weeks now and have lost a total of 8 pounds. Most weeks i'm down a pound. It really does add up and i'm delighted with my progress so far. I've dropped a dress size and generally feel much better because i'm doing lots of walking & eating much more healthily. It's probably healthier to loose weight slowly & you will see results, just give it a bit of time.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Do you want to post your food diary for the last few days and we can see if there is anything that you are missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sierra21

lessofme wrote: »
    Tonight I joined Slimming World in Tullamore. The class leader is Vinnie O'Brien who has lost almost 4 stone with slimming world.
    He explained the plan well and the class was big so next week he is going to have a second class - class will be at 5.30 and 7.30.
    I can't believe that I can eat unlimited amounts of potatoes, rice, pasta, meat and veg. I have read the book a few times now. I have to do a proper shop tomorrow.

I've been going for six weeks and have lost eight pounds and am really delighted with the programme.
    Some tips - Muller Lights make great deserts/snacks and most are either syn free or half a syn. I mix them with fruit.
    The cookery books are very good (on sale at meeting) although you probably can get most of the recipes free on the website, but I like having a book to flick through and to plan meals. If you like Indian food the curry book is particularly good.
    I've registered with the website. I use the electronic food diary most days and find that good. I am also doing a fitness challenge. To get to that (and there may be a more efficient way) click on "useful features" button on the red panel towards the top of the website. Then go into page 2 of latest useful features. Click on "brand new body magic challenge" Click on "begin your body magic challenge here" Click on the link to FIT log which is embedded in a paragraph down the page. I'm going for the platinum which involves recording exercise over 5 days, for an eight week period.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

lessofme wrote: »

Anytime you are hungry first of all reach for the superfree first (they will give you a better boost and better loss)...After that try a free food: A big help for me has been MullerLight yogurts and Mugshots.

And prepare and plan your week if you get caught out then thats when i find i struggle a bit..

oh and body magic lots and lots of body magic

I was reading somewhere, I don't think it was on this forum that someone eats the Toffee flavour Muller Light with a banana - just like banoffee, it sounds delicious!! Just an idea for you all x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oldme_nume

bulmersgal wrote: »
    There is a class in Holles Row on Tuesday at 5.30 and 7.30 if that suited u. They have fb page think its slimming world ballyfermot/Holles row
    Ah thanks! I'll certainly check that out. When I was looking on the Slimming World page under Dublin 2 places like Firhouse, Clondalkin and Tallaght were coming up and I've never heard of Holles Row so I presumed it was out that way also and just a mistake on the site!

It's a bit out of the way for me but will be a good incentive to get up off my bum!! Going to sign up next week...excited to get started after all this time lurking / reading / promising to change and doing nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

have WI tonight... really dreading it havnt had a great week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Weigh in due this evening, as usual butterflies in my stomach!!!! After an ok Thurs and Fri, not so good weekend, a good mon and tues, heres hoping the scales reads well :)

If any of you like fish i made a pretty good alternative to chowder.... lots of garlic in water and allow to boil to get the flavour released, pich of salt and pepper to taste and then add the mixed fish i had smoked haddock, cod, prawns and whiting, add lots of veg your choice i had carrots, onions, peas, sweet corn and allow to simmer until veg is cooked. You can mix some quark in before serving for added protein if you choose. honestly it was really good!!!!

• Advertisement

stayed the same at WI this evening so a bit annoyed with myself.. know i could of done better but onwards and upwards

Hi all thanks everyone for your words of encouragement, really appreciate it,

food on on typical day is 2 wheetabix for breakfast with low fat milk

snack on fruit

lunch, mostly always a big salad with tuna (in brine) or some slices of ham (no fat)

Dinner then is meat eg chicken, mince , with veg and one or two boiled patatoes, dont mash them so no butter or salt,

then i have 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day, had been using too much sugar so have cut back on that this week and would have a small bar as a treat and thats it, drink more than 8 glasses of water a day and go walking every 2nd day or so and then to be down a pound i didnt know why, think its near time of month so maybe that has a lot to do with it,

have started from today writing down all i eat as its the only way i can cheat,

have a wedding this friday , any tips on how not to go too mad? have a 30th party then sat but im hoping a good long walk sat, sunday and monday and on my lunch break tuesday and eat well that i will be down, i have 4 stone to loose but i have to take it pound by pound and a pound down is better than a pound up, the weekends are my downfall as i always have something on lately, just going to have to work around it and not allow one night ruin my whole week, this is my year to loose this weight and i know it can be done

well done to all who are doing so well and to those like me who are a little dissapointed this week, chin up and heres to next weeks weigh in and being down on those scales hopefully:)

My god I need more will power are healthy this morning went on 5 mile walk then had great lunch went over to boyfriend and he wanted mc Donald's so I caved in! Did do bootcamp tonight as well. Got bootcamp 2 more before weigh in so hopefully I'm down. Going to try walk as much as I can and eat better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I am so bad at updating her but had my WI tonight and down 3lb so thats the grand and amazing total of 3st 9lb since the 14th March.

Delighted, find the plan on the whole very easy. Even manage the odd glass of red wine or Coors light. I really love that I can have a latte or a chinese and still lose weight. I suppose I am not really looking at it as a diet more a way of life and have booked the personal shopper for 4 hours in Liffey Valley for November. Have not bought a thing to wear since last Christmas (well, I did buy one dress in New Look a couple of weeks ago) so a new wardrobe is planned. I hope to have at least another stone and a half gone by then.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Fair Play Carolinespring, good to hear some success stories. and as for a wedding, polly, I have one also, I plan to dance the night away, so I won't be sitting at the table drinking calories. I am staying overnight at the hotel an will be packing my swim suit and hit the pool before I check out...Hangover or no hangover.

the whole point of SW is to be able to enjoy yourself. enjoy the wedding, even the meal, just don't go crazy when they bring out the sandwiches and cocktail sausages at 11, you don't need them, you won't be hungry :)

have fun

Carolinespring, that's an amazing loss in literally a few months, congratulations, you must feel marvellous!! Ooh Id love to be that far into my loss, Im only at week two!!

for any crisp lovers here I discovered walkers baked stars today there's only 4.5 syns per pack and they're delish esp the mild sweet chilli :)

thanks i plan to do the same as dancing is so much fun plus it burns calories, the food that comes out for the afters doesnt bother me as this will be my 4th wedding this year and when the food came out for the last 3 i was too busy chatting and dancing to notice and as you say you dont be hungry so have no worries there.

am hoping for a least two pounds of a weight loss next week so ill be going for a long walk saturday as you say hungover or not :) and again sunday and monday evening and tuesday on my lunch break so heres to seeing less of us next week and we will still have a great weekend

well done carolinespring you are as are so many others on here and inspiration, wow a personal shopper that will be so exciting and you will really see how far you have come with having to buy a whole new wardrobe, enjoy and keep up the good work

am hoping for a least two pounds of a weight loss next week so ill be going for a long walk saturday as you say hungover or not :) and again sunday and monday evening and tuesday on my lunch break so heres to seeing less of us next week and we will still have a great weekend

good stuff Polly I was down 2 today so happy days, will be hard to get that next week, but I'll have manners at the wedding.

Starting Weight : 14 3.5
    WI 1: 14 2
    WI 2: 14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MagicPants

Brilliant and I've four stone to lose too so we're starting off at the same point! :D

Me too guys I've been at SW since April and have only lost 16lbs however thats good enough for me considering every weekend seems to involve drinks and a night out/eating out. So I'm delighted to be down that weight rather than up which can happen after Summer!!:D WE can all do it slowly but surely it can be done. SW is a great diet lots of healthy food..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement