Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

For anyone interested, my Facebook photos of last night's gig are open to public so please feel free to view

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151786682250145.862148.810160144&type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

So what was this historic encore that MCD were promising?

Anyway, while I decided not to go in the end I'm glad the gig went smoothly for those who went. There's nothing worse than watching brainless morons try their best to wreck it for others.

So what was this historic encore that MCD were promising?

I couldn't figure that out myself, probably Whole Lotta Rosie, if someone from AC/DC had come out on stage and played with them....which they didn't

Maybe someone was backstage and something was planned, but then scrapped, then again maybe MCD are full of even more **** then before. It just makes them look like morons. Love Axl poking fun at the fact he was so "wooden" last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Admittedly, I'm not a massive G'n'R fan but I do enjoy what I know of their music. I got a ticket at the last minute and I wasn't aware it was expected to be such a late show. I left during mi amor 2.0 but at that stage I just thought it was utter nonsense. The few hits they played were brilliant but all the solos and stuff in between was boring as hell!
    I had to leave early if I wanted to get home (no taxi fare, just luas money and the promise of a lift before 1.... I'm 24 I swear!). After seeing the setlist I must say I am a little disappointed that I didn't stay. To be honest though, Axl spent more time backstage than anywhere else.
    As I said, I don't know much G'n'R except for the hits so anything off chinese democracy was lost on me. I thought most of the songs I hadn't heard were long and dull, and I know some people around me felt likewise.
    Just my thoughts anyway. I'm glad people who stayed had a good night. Next time I'll have to remember to either drink more or show up later.

Also, I thought Thin Lizzy were amazing! Made the night worth it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I couldn't figure that out myself, probably Whole Lotta Rosie, if someone from AC/DC had come out on stage and played with them....which they didn't

Maybe someone was backstage and something was planned, but then scrapped, then again maybe MCD are full of even more **** then before. It just makes them look like morons. Love Axl poking fun at the fact he was so "wooden" last time.
    Pretty sure the epic encore they were refering to was Civil War, a song thats been rarely played since 93.

Raging that I didnt go to this! What were Axels comments in relation to the last time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

For anyone interested, my Facebook photos of last night's gig are open to public so please feel free to view

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151786682250145.862148.810160144&type=1

Can u post them here??

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

Admittedly, I'm not a massive G'n'R fan but I do enjoy what I know of their music. I got a ticket at the last minute and I wasn't aware it was expected to be such a late show. I left during mi amor 2.0 but at that stage I just thought it was utter nonsense. The few hits they played were brilliant but all the solos and stuff in between was boring as hell!
    I had to leave early if I wanted to get home (no taxi fare, just luas money and the promise of a lift before 1.... I'm 24 I swear!). After seeing the setlist I must say I am a little disappointed that I didn't stay. To be honest though, Axl spent more time backstage than anywhere else.
    As I said, I don't know much G'n'R except for the hits so anything off chinese democracy was lost on me. I thought most of the songs I hadn't heard were long and dull, and I know some people around me felt likewise.
    Just my thoughts anyway. I'm glad people who stayed had a good night. Next time I'll have to remember to either drink more or show up later.

A classic review from someone with a mere passing interest in the band. i.e. someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Some points to note

- The band have always done the soling thing, ever seen the live in Tokyo DVD's from way back in 92/93? It was done then too. At this stage people should be aware of that.

- The few hits they played? Don't Cry, Welcome to the jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Mr Brownstone, Nightrain, It's so easy, Live and let die, Estranged, Civil War,etc etc is more than a "few" hits.

- Axl was on and off the stage, but it was genrally fairly quick. It's common knowledge he needs doses of Oxygen between songs, the chaps 50, do you still expect him to perform as if he's 21?

- How the fluck did you not expect it to be a late show? Axl is always late. Late in slane in 92, late now in 2012, if you don't know that you must be from Mars.

- Fair enough if you didn't like the Chinese Democracy stuff, if you found it dull that's your taste, but overlong??? The tracks you would've heard ain't that long. Lack of familiarity there I would say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

thecatspjs wrote: »

I agree with alot of this. I like the earlier stuff and I dont know any of Chinese Democracy. Im checking out some of Chinese Democracy on youtube this morning though.

The long solos while Axl was off stage did get a little bit tiresome - there's only so much longwinded ultimate guitar solos you can take in one night. Yeah you'd appreciate the playing on a technical level but that's about it. I noticed alot of people using that time to go to the bar or take a pi$$.

It was great to hear the material from Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusions, and that definitely got the most reaction from the crowd.
    I really enjoyed the long guitar intro to Don't Cry. There was a really long version of Knockin on Heavens door which was pretty cool - alot of it just bluesy rock guitar parts with intermittent vocals from Axl in the background. Civil War and Paradise City at the end injected alot of life into the crowd. Im glad I stayed til the end though I was tempted to leave.

Probably a cliched comment, but it's a bit of a weird buzz when three new guitarists are playing other peoples material that have left the band. Just watched an interview on youtube with Slash recounting how they came up with the different parts to Paradise City in a van, and how he did all the solos that day. So many new faces almost makes it like a tribute act. Still a good flavour of what it would have been like to go to a concert during the Use Your Illusion world tour.

All in all, it was an enjoyable gig and it's good that the crowd and Axl behaved themselves. Also appreciative that everyone got their moneys worth. Thin Lizzy were good too.

WHAT A NIGHT!!!!!!!

Axl Rose was on fire, an incredible performer, and the band were so in key. But, more importantly, the people of Dublin gave him exactly what he wanted and there wasn't a single boo. Besides, most of the scumbags were too high, so when Axl did come on I had about four people beside me just holding their heads in their hands and falling on the ground completely spaced out....quite funny when you think about it....

I didn't see anyone even try and launch a bottle, best crowd ever, even Fortus and Ron started clapping when Axl thanked the crowd for their patience - and then he even made fun of himself over last time haha

Panther and the Black Queen or whatever they're called were ****ing useless! Absolute **** and I couldn't get behind any of their material. That girl at the front needs to just get her **** together.

Thin Lizzy... I can't fault what great songs these are, but they just remind me of what a legend Phil Lynott was, and what great session players these men are. That guy fronting Thin Lizzy sounds a lot like Phil at times though, which isn't really what you want, because it makes you think they've turned on the Greatest Hits lol...still, a really enjoyable set, but I think they'd thrown in a few numbers to extend the set...didn't understand why there were six members of this band and only three of the original Thin Lizzy. But anyway, still, did think as a support they got the crowd going. During 'Whiskey In The Jar' though all I taught of was this....;)

Guns N' Roses.... Incredible set, Mental Mickey will be silenced this morning (JOKE) and this really was more then even I (by some definitions a hardcore fan) was even expecting...what a sound, it just exploded when Axl came out and the people just gave him the energy he wanted...we didn't even seem to mind that the injury affected his ability to run around like a lunatic, as he said himself, it was more then he'd done the last time lol

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM AGAIN NEXT WEEK IN NEWCASTLE!!!!!

OH, AND I MET BUMBLEFOOT BEFORE THE SHOW, FINALLY...PICTURE SOON

AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I MET scudzilla AND HIS MISSUS IN THE CROWD, SERIOUSLY, WHAT A LEGEND...WAS REALLY NICE TO FINALLY MEET SOMEONE ELSE FROM ROCK AND METAL WHOSE POSTS I'VE BEEN READING FOR YEARS IN ENGLAND TO KEEP ME SANE AND ON THE PATH OF IRISHNESS

LOL. I ended up going to the gig. My bro bought me a pair of tickets for my b'day. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how chilled Axl was, and at how good they sounded.

Loads of highlights for me: in particular TWAT, Estranged, Sweet Child O'Mine, Better.

My brother got a load of videos on his phone too, so I'll either post them here, or on my FB page......?

I reckon that will probably be the last time we'll see Axl here. The guy struggles to do a full set nowadays. My brother reckoned he's on some o2 now himself lol!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

LOL. I ended up going to the gig. My bro bought me a pair of tickets for my b'day.

jackie-chan-wtf.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

So I am sure my hubbie will post in a little while but from me....

Highlights for me of the night, This I love and Civil War I would say.

Points on what has been said already, yes Axl left stage but briefly and not very noticeable. The band were amazing, the show was amazing and I am glad Axl wasn't running around as his vocal kicked ass.

As a big GNR fan I was lucky enough to photograph Slash when he played here, disappointed at not getting a photo pass for GNR last time I decided on the day not to go, ok I was pulling a strop but obviously glad I did. When this gig was announced we both said we were not buying tickets, quickly followed by, we will be there and heck am I glad we went to what might possibly have been the best gig I have ever been to.

Axl is one of the few rock legends left, he may be the only original member of the band left but he is the perfect example of a rock star, a pure diva but he has got the talent and he let it rip last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

****ty camera on the phone, but WHAT a gig. Axl sounded incredible. Great to see rock n roll royalty in person.

205508.jpg

205509.jpg

205510.jpg

205511.jpg

205512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I haven't heard a single negative review (a couple of ok reviews but they were people who didn't know a lot of the songs) so I'm guessing if they come back again, it'll be a sell out. They more than made up for last time.

Was looking at the touring schedule and UK have about seven shows. That seems like a lot to me. Yes, it's a bigger country but it isn't THAT much bigger. Four I thought would have been loads (London, Manchester, Newcastle and Scotland).

The country order seems a little random too but I'm guessing that was more down to what dates they could get.

Raging that I didnt go to this! What were Axels comments in relation to the last time?

In fairness, Civil War has been played in almost gig they've done since the start of the year and a few last year in North America...so, it seems that MCD were talking **** again.

He said something like "bear with me, you'll have to bear with me because...I'm just finding out what I can and can't do" of course in relation to his leg injury on the table and then said "but of course you'll notice I'm probably moving around a lot more then the last time I was here, eh?" at which point Tommy (the bassist) breaks his heart laughing

I also felt sorry for Tommy when they played his song, Motivation I think he calls it, and nobody reacted at all...plus his microphone was far too low.
    Can u post them here??

Yeah, sure

535155_10151786685880145_810160144_24408619_541748654_n.jpg
    526234_10151786686020145_810160144_24408621_1644290788_n.jpg
    577200_10151786686120145_810160144_24408622_417074939_n.jpg
    150132_10151786686390145_810160144_24408626_1090550229_n.jpg
    389368_10151786686455145_810160144_24408627_1898195036_n.jpg
    582260_10151786686560145_810160144_24408628_2060786407_n.jpg
    547258_10151786686690145_810160144_24408629_1726760322_n.jpg
    556768_10151786686865145_810160144_24408630_2001471453_n.jpg
    561356_10151786687010145_810160144_24408633_825553378_n.jpg
    36576_10151786687120145_810160144_24408635_1431731799_n.jpg
    535176_10151786687230145_810160144_24408636_1173364766_n.jpg
    544798_10151786687310145_810160144_24408637_930303483_n.jpg
    554568_10151786687385145_810160144_24408638_1475554446_n.jpg
    552959_10151786687500145_810160144_24408639_487676002_n.jpg
    75203_10151786687655145_810160144_24408641_1165460519_n.jpg

Me and Mr Foot

385757_10151786685735145_810160144_24408618_1144215345_n.jpg

Hey Motley. I recognise you from your pic. I saw you in the queue outside....

I was out there with my brother sitting near the various food vans stuffin me face.

Just noticed this small turnout for the M&G Photos on the website - any of you there?

http://www.gunsnroses.com/media/photos/23911

Only six people it seems to meet just three band members - glad I didn't spend £120 just to meet Ashba, Dizzy and Ron (with all due respect;))

That girl in the black and the glasses is going to regret wearing that top:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

The thing is, how long more can Axl do this nostalgia tour and get away with it? I just don't get him. He disowns the old band yet his idea of moving on is 1 album since 1994. There is no sign of any new material on the horizon. He hasn't once hit the studio with this line-up. He seems to be a spent force creatively. He is 50 now and probably has about 5years left with the way he sings before he just won't be able to deliver. I think these tours are just a cash grab so that he can retire and continue his lavish lifestyle. He puts on a good show but once you've seen it once it just becomes boring and predictable unless he throws a strop. How the mighty have fallen. I really thought we'd have 3 albums from the Chinese Democracy era by now.

TheGimp wrote: »
    The thing is, how long more can Axl do this nostalgia tour and get away with it? I just don't get him. He disowns the old band yet his idea of moving on is 1 album since 1994. There is no sign of any new material on the horizon. He hasn't once hit the studio with this line-up. He seems to be a spent force creatively. He is 50 now and probably has about 5years left with the way he sings before he just won't be able to deliver. I think these tours are just a cash grab so that he can retire and continue his lavish lifestyle. He puts on a good show but once you've seen it once it just becomes boring and predictable unless he throws a strop. How the mighty have fallen. I really thought we'd have 3 albums from the Chinese Democracy era by now.

This is 100% bang on.

TheGimp wrote: »

I have to disagree. All of the band members (with the exception of Ashba) contributed to the latest album Chinese Democracy in a big way - even Frank re-recorded a lot of the drums so that he could make his presence felt.

I understand what you're saying but since Ashba has joined the band we've had loads of tours, globally, we've had a lot more media related things (such as pictures, meet and greet, Axl on THAT Metal show on VH1 Classic, twitter updates, Ashba being the kind of poster boy for the band)

Ashba himself has done a lot to make this band more Media accessible because beforehand Axl was shying away from tackling issues and doing interviews...Ashba arranged for him to appear on THAT Metal Show and this was a huge boost and led to the second leg of North American dates earlier this year...and I think the band are making a huge effort

Plus, Ashba has spoken about the fact that he's already written new material with Axl for a future release, and Tommy sang a song last night that was written and recorded by the new line up (minus Axl). Wasn't the best, but hey, they're making an effort more than 2002...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

I have to disagree. All of the band members (with the exception of Ashba) contributed to the latest album Chinese Democracy in a big way - even Frank re-recorded a lot of the drums so that he could make his presence felt.

I understand what you're saying but since Ashba has joined the band we've had loads of tours, globally, we've had a lot more media related things (such as pictures, meet and greet, Axl on THAT Metal show on VH1 Classic, twitter updates, Ashba being the kind of poster boy for the band)

Ashba himself has done a lot to make this band more Media accessible because beforehand Axl was shying away from tackling issues and doing interviews...Ashba arranged for him to appear on THAT Metal Show and this was a huge boost and led to the second leg of North American dates earlier this year...and I think the band are making a huge effort

Plus, Ashba has spoken about the fact that he's already written new material with Axl for a future release, and Tommy sang a song last night that was written and recorded by the new line up (minus Axl). Wasn't the best, but hey, they're making an effort more than 2002...

I have to disagree with you Motley .. TheGimp's point all relate to the fact that almost nothing new has been created by this line-up. Media appearances etc are not "output" ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Adrift wrote: »
    A classic review from someone with a mere passing interest in the band. i.e. someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Some points to note

- The band have always done the soling thing, ever seen the live in Tokyo DVD's from way back in 92/93? It was done then too. At this stage people should be aware of that.

- The few hits they played? Don't Cry, Welcome to the jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, You Could Be Mine, November Rain, Mr Brownstone, Nightrain, It's so easy, Live and let die, Estranged, Civil War,etc etc is more than a "few" hits.

- Axl was on and off the stage, but it was genrally fairly quick. It's common knowledge he needs doses of Oxygen between songs, the chaps 50, do you still expect him to perform as if he's 21?

- How the fluck did you not expect it to be a late show? Axl is always late. Late in slane in 92, late now in 2012, if you don't know that you must be from Mars.

- Fair enough if you didn't like the Chinese Democracy stuff, if you found it dull that's your taste, but overlong??? The tracks you would've heard ain't that long. Lack of familiarity there I would say.

Just because someone isn't aware of how GnR shows are, doesn't mean they "haven't got a clue" and their opinion doesn't count.

Just because Axl's always late and he's been taking breaks for years doesn't make it right, regardless of whether you know about them or not. And he' 50 for God's sake not 90. 5 or 6 five minute solos lasting 5 minutes or whatever they were is excessive at any gig. There are loads of frontmen older than Axl, e.g. Bruce Dickinson, Bono and some others considerably older, Brian Johnson, Mick Jagger who manage doing a 2 hour gig without needing a break every 10 minutes or so. And wasn't he restricted in his running around last night because of his accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Here's a few photos taken from the comfort of my seat, getin' auld you know.

DAC94D2AC3D54554A79BA0D84E6470C3-0000336305-0002858893-00440L-B816CF261C9141289F5E96B978F8DEFB.jpg

5EFE7D58DB80481C865DB9F385C8F4ED-0000336305-0002858892-00440L-5D87DA7DF89745C39E5728E541AC1AA6.jpg

092DB46C758946DAA9D534AF52DA761F-0000336305-0002858891-00440L-2471C77066BD478692B6143BE9BC76A4.jpg

E5151689B25A40448EB27AB6D2B5427C-0000336305-0002858890-00440L-0CAC7DCCD498405691AD3215D3F0A13D.jpg

E805B9F0DDFD49238584122FD78661DB-0000336305-0002858889-00440L-BC9EDBCF3EB74F7786027DB28F63E4DE.jpg

9482470F30AC42649E4F9A9DE8B2BB5A-0000336305-0002858888-00440L-AE1EEC74825348C9844F3616627E9822.jpg

9A48E6CD290D496DB65D21F83A307768-0000336305-0002858887-00440L-CD5438650C444A6981CBF91BF339B241.jpg

C707103F6A32478EB11CC1E9622EC3D3-0000336305-0002858886-00440L-C85FB67B69A04318ADD3E54F6E99E0BF.jpg

D18470AB9601476585F59AD233F99803-0000336305-0002858885-00440L-208DBD733AF64C2BBF2925BC85B7DB82.jpg

49C0D21A4D914749B834512AC0A9A14E-0000336305-0002858884-00440L-50CFBC58C9234B8683FB3F21D6F26CB8.jpg

CC78A0FD2CAB48E0A47B9CA06FA6F417-0000336305-0002858883-00440L-7D10881D53BC4CCBA35197232854D70C.jpg

60ADFE34BCA94FC6A600B5C73F694F9D-0000336305-0002858882-00440L-7380797C515D452FB071812AD53B0D75.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Motley Crew, did you have a rucksack last night ? if so, I am the girl in the pit who told you that it was open, thanks a million for the pictures, I was jumping around far too much to take photos

Not sure what the oxygen actually does. How does that enhance vocal ability? Or how would it rejuvenate him? It's not like the gig was on top of Mount Everest.

At the start, one guy with a backpack had a strange way of getting to the front of the crowd. He basically ran full speed through everyone nearly knocking over everyone he pushed. I was surprised he wasnt decked.

I wonder who got Axl's mic that he threw into the crowd in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rednik wrote: »
    Here's a few photos taken from the comfort of my seat, getin' auld you know.
    Hope you stood up when Lizzy told you to :D
    Motorist wrote: »
    Not sure what the oxygen actually does. How does that enhance vocal ability? Or how would it rejuvenate him? It's not like the gig was on top of Mount Everest.
    It's all the running around he does. It gives him his breath back quicker. The way he sings means he needs a lot of it. When he doesnt run around, his voice is perfect. When he runs around he gets out of breath, and his vocals suffer. The oxygen is to try and counter that.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Great feckin gig last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps the uncertainty of how it'd go down played a big part too.

Arrived at the O2 about 7:15 and quickly made my way to the bar to grab two (miniature) pints for myself (and a baileys (???) for the lady friend), followed by a quick smoke before heading stagewards to catch the first act of the evening, Vengeance and the Panther Queen.
    I'm sorry to say that it I really didn't enjoy their set at all :(. The sound for a start, was abysmal, guitars were muddy and difficult to hear clearly, the drums lacked any real impact until maybe 3/4 songs in, and the vocals were for the most part, were incomprehensible besides a high pitched warble that sounded like it could* be a Beth Ditto-esque style of singing. I can't really judge the band therefore, because I'd be lying if I tried to say I actually heard them in any real sense. If I'm around town again sometime they're playing I might catch them again, and hopefully the sound issues were genuinely just sound issues and not just a lack of cohesion between the musicians involved.
    At this point I was very wary of how the sound might pan out for the night, and as we slowly tip towed our way closer to the front barrier, I kept my fingers crossed that a different engineer would be at the helm for the legendary Thin Lizzy.
    Make it to three rows from the front.
    Brian Downey walks onstage to rapturous applause, followed by the rest of the band at their respective positions, Ricky Warwick takes the mic: "Are you Ready???".
    205561.jpg
    What followed was an hour of absolute ear candy for me, I'm a pretty big Thin Lizzy fan, and hadn't heard this lineup perform before. All I can say, if you haven't seen it, they're well worth a few bob for a good night out. They played for about an hour and threw in all the classics such as Massacre, Still In Love With You, Emerald, Rosalie, Jailbreak etc etc. I would have happily spent another hour with these guys on stage just so I might get to hear the likes of Angel of Death or Black Rose. Pure class, they had energy by the truckload and did all of the songs justice.
    So about 9:30 Lizzy disappeared into the wings, and the stage crew began to disassemble their gear and ready the stage for Gn'R. Some girls asked to be pulled from the front barrier. Hand on barrier, success.
    9:55 - Stage is ready, pyro in place, sporadic chants of "Guns... n'.... Roses" from around the venue. Clock is ticking. Take a few minutes to sing along to that Xmas tune by RATM as its played over the PA.
    Cameraman "Sixx Williams" takes a seat in front of where we're parked at the barrier. Looks a bit browned off, holds his head in his hands for a good ten minutes. Hmm... Is there a problem?
    205562.jpg
    No Problem. Lights go out at 10:20 and we're given some Chinese Democracy.
    Now, I must say, it took me quite some time to warm to Gn'R after they took to the stage, maybe it was the fact that I enjoyed Thin Lizzy so goddamn much, maybe it was the lineup, maybe it was Chinese Democracy itself, as I'd never really warmed to that album too much. So I reckon it wasn't until You Could Be Mine was belted out that I really started feeling the goosebumps that I so readily associate with a good gig.
    205563.jpg
    I must say, for all the hype, I don't think all that much of DJ Ashba. Might be just me, but he comes across to me as more interested in himself than the actual music, and seemed to wander around on his own quite a bit, with little interaction with the rest of the band bar wAxl. Then again, from where I was I couldn't see a whole lot of him anyways, asides from when he came over centre stage or stage right, he seemed to spent most of his time over stage left. Bumblefoot though, I must say, I was amazed by. Its not too often you see a dude playing a bit of fretless guitar live, and he did it quite well, and seemed quite humble and more about the actual music than the rest. The bloody tears makeup thing he had going on looked pretty kickass too.
    205564.jpg
    I must concur with some of the other posters from earlier that the solos were a little bit much, especially considering the length of the show. During the second half of the gig I was thinking "would they ever hurry the feck up and play a goddamned song!". Although I thoroughly enjoyed Dizzy coming up front and playing Baba O'Reilly (which the majority of the people in my direct vicinity had never heard, young wans, eh?).
    205565.jpg
    Was nice to see wAxl poking a bit of fun at himself and even criticising his own vocal performance during the encore, maybe there's hope for him yet? (nah)
    All in all a very enjoyable night, despite having to walk back to town since the Luas had finished running, the girlfriend got plenty of face time on the big screen too (I think the aforementioned Mr. Williams had a bit of a thing for her).
    Highlights of the night:
    Thin Lizzy : Are You Ready
    Thin Lizzy : Massacre
    Thin Lizzy : Emerald
    Thin Lizzy : Still In Love With You
    Guns n' Roses : Welcome to The Jungle
    Guns n' Roses : It's so Easy
    Guns n' Roses : Better
    Guns n' Roses : You Could be Mine
    Guns n' Roses : Don't Cry
    Guns n' Roses : November Rain
    Guns n' Roses : Civil War
    Guns n' Roses : Night Train
    Frank Sinatra : My Way (played over the PA at the end, danced and sang our way towards the exits! :D )

I've a few more pics here that I'll upload soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Pyro During November Rain
    205567.jpg
    wAxl and the Bumble
    205568.jpg
    Fortus Windmills while Ashba Pouts
    205569.jpg
    Another BumbleAx
    205570.jpg
    Aaaaaaand time to say G'Luck G'Luck G'Luck
    205571.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Sorry but you are way off the mark there. Frank added, at best, a few fills. Most of the drum parts were written and performed by Brain. Bumblefoot contributed one or two additional parts, like fretless guitar and a ridiculous elephant noise solo on Shacklers. Fortus didn't write anything on Chinese Democracy. The record was primarily written and recorded by Rose, Stinson, Finck, Brain, Bumblefoot & Paul Huge. There are versions of TWAT & IRS from 1999 that attest to this.

Ashba is an absolute whore for the limelight and in it for himself. The guy is a ****in shameless self-promoter. Before he had even taken to the stage with GNR for the first time he included their discography on his website, despite the fact that he hasn't recorded a note with them. Then he appeared in several ads for Marshall where he was labelled as GNR guitarist, again before he had even played with them. The guy is in it for himself and once he gets a whiff that Axl has no intention of releasing another record he will be off that sinking ship like a rat. Mark my words.

Ashba is constantly making these claims in the media and contradicting himself. One minute he says he wrote new material with Axl and the next it is just material he sent Axl that he likes. This line-up has yet to enter a studio or record together. With no sign that they ever will. Why do you think Buckethead, Brain and Finck left? Because they know Axl is a busted flush. By the way that song by Tommy is off his solo album and has nothing to do with GNR, other than him busting it out for his solo spot.

I know you are a big fan but the penny will drop with you soon enough. I used to be like you too and have been a fan since '88.

There will never be another GNR album of original material. Axl is spent creatively and has burnt so many bridges, including those with his own record company, that he has become nothing but a liability in the eyes of the industry. He may have one album to deliver contractually but I bet it will be a remix album and outtakes from the Chinese Democracy sessions. One or two unreleased new songs included would be about as much as you'll get. A whole new album will never happen.

You only have to look at who is managing him these days to see what a basket case he has become. His manager is Beta Lebeis, his Brazilian housemaid, 7 years his senior that he calls "mother".

**** me.

Apparently Tommy and Frank were in Aston Quay last night at the Gypsy Rose after the gig

http://gypsyroseclub.com/

Their logo looks slightly like GNR actually

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Hope you stood up when Lizzy told you to :D

It's all the running around he does. It gives him his breath back quicker. The way he sings means he needs a lot of it. When he doesnt run around, his voice is perfect. When he runs around he gets out of breath, and his vocals suffer. The oxygen is to try and counter that.

Ah okay. In fairness though that's still just some bizarre eccentric ritual though.

If getting on oxygen was so good, wouldn't all sports players have oxygen at the side of the pitch to rejuvenate. Or in American football where they change teams depending on the play. If he did exercise once a week, it would be far superior.

Advertisement