Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: Round 14 - Singapore Grand Prix

Options
  • 20-09-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

With Sebastian Vettel on the verge of becoming the youngest double world champion it would be easy to say that this season has been one of utter domination by the German. However once you scratch beneath the surface of the championship standings it is clear that this has been one of the best seasons in years in terms of pure racing and this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix looks set to continue that trend!
    The Marina Bay Grand Prix Circuit

singapore.png

The tracks winds its way aroundMarinaBaywith the Singapore streets and skyline providing a dramatic backdrop for a circuit that has already gained acceptance from Formula 1 in just four years.

Drivers love the challenge of racing on the city-state’s streets while the teams enjoy the technical and logistical problems that racing at night provides. With a mixture of fast, flowing sections and slow chicanes and hairpins theMarinaBaycircuit offers a great challenge to drivers and engineers to find the perfect compromise as they set their cars up.

Speaking before the race 2009 race winner, Lewis Hamilton, was keen to talk about the challenges facing drivers:

"I love street circuits and I really enjoy this place,” said the Englishman. “It's almost two tracks in one: there are quite a few fast corners, which require good set-up and a bit of commitment, but there are also lots of tighter 90-degree bends, which are slower and more technical. You've got to keep it precise through these and just be patient, waiting for the tyres to bite before getting on the throttle. If you're impatient, then you end up losing time because you over-stress the tyres and you over-drive the car.”

The track surface is low grip as a result of being public roads and having to deal with the everyday dust and grime from everyday road users and as a result the grip level changes immensely as the weekend progresses. The track consistently improves and gets faster as more rubber is put down. The last driver across the line in qualifying will have a significant advantage and will be able to take advantage of the best conditions of the session.

Throughout the year Vettel has consistently been able to time his final qualifying lap to perfection and been the last driver to start his flying lap. This ability will be key for the Red Bull driver as he strives to give himself yet another pole position. Last year however, a mistake in qualifying cost Vettel dearly that saw him qualify second and unable to overtake pole sitter Fernando Alonso for the duration of the 61 lap race.

Timo Glock finished second toHamiltonin 2009 and while the Virgin driver will have to rely on poor reliability on Sunday to even challenge or a point it is clear that he is upbeat and looking forward to a race at a track that Virgin will bring aerodynamic upgrades to:

"It's great to be back in Singapore where I finished in second position in 2009,” commented the 29 year old. “The Singapore Grand Prix is clearly one of the highlights of the year and my favourite track on the calendar. It really is an amazing experience and I just can't wait to get in the car and drive through the streets of Singapore at night again. It's great fun! The Marina Bay Street Circuit is very challenging. Just the fact that it is a street circuit already makes it very demanding, but if we add the fact that it's a night race it just adds to the excitement. Car set-up is tricky, as with any other street circuit, so Friday will be a busy day. I am looking forward to the final leg of the season."
    Challenges for this weekend

The nature of the circuit and hosting the race at night provides numerous challenges to the teams…not least having to sleep during the day and work at night! With numerous races now taking place in the later hours of the day the teams however have gained more than enough experience in this regard.

The main challenge for them is to find the best compromise setup that will allow drivers to ride the bumps and have a stable car through the faster corners. Red Bull’s Mark Webber spoke of the challenges facing drivers over the course of the race:

"The Singapore night race is a challenging one,” said the six times Grand Prix winner. “The track is bumpy and although the 1500-odd lights do a good job at illuminating the circuit, it's not like racing in daylight and that makes it tiring. It's also the longest race of the year, running close to the two-hour time- limit set by the FIA, and the intense heat and humidity makes it pretty warm in the cockpit. You have to watch your hydration during the build-up to the race.”

Sam Michael, outgoing technical director of Williams, has been in the news since the Italian Grand Prix following confirmation that the Australian will move to McLaren at the end of the year. This will be Michael’s last race for Williams and comes at the scene of their last realistic opportunity to win a Grand Prix.

In the 2009 race Nico Rosberg was in position to challenge for the win but crossed the white line as he came out of the pits and was given a drive through penalty that cost him dearly. Since then the team has been in a constant downward spiral and even the major upheaval of the team’s technical department makes it difficult to see much light at the end of the tunnel for one of the most successful team’s in the sport’s history.

Even though this is sure to be an emotional weekend for Michael after spending more than ten years with the squad it is clear that his focus is firmly on how to end his relationship with the squad on a high:

"Singapore has all the challenges, for both the drivers and engineers, of a classic street race, but with the addition of it also being held at night,” said the Williams technical director. “There is a large improvement in track grip as the race weekend progresses. There are also more bumps and kerbs to deal with compared to normal and downforce is set to a maximum. Good traction with minimal understeer are always the focus of the car set-up here. We have an upgraded diffuser and a new front wing assembly for the first of the flyaways. We'll test both of them on Friday."

Last year James Key was the engineer at the centre of attention with the then ForceIndiatechnical director looking to move to Sauber. The Englishman has enjoyed a successful first season with the Swiss squad and this could be a very strong race for Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez.

Last year Kobayashi enjoyed one of his strongest weekend’s with a top ten qualifying position and a strong race before crashing out. The team is in high spirits and eager to score points and move into sixth in the constructors’ championship, they are just one point behind ForceIndia.

Speaking about the challenges of Singapore Key commented:

"Following Spa-Francorchamps and Monza, which are unique circuits, we go to another unique track in Singapore. It's a long and windy high downforce street circuit, which is typically quite bumpy. It needs good mechanical grip. Traction levels and braking stability are important as well. It's a hard circuit for the brakes.”

“We'll be running a high downforce configuration, and we will be working on the mechanical grip,” continued Key. “Pirelli will supply the soft and super soft tyres, the same as in Hungary, and we feel these are generally better tyres for us than what we have had at the last two events. We'll be looking closely at the balance of the car and its ability to absorb the kerbs and the bumps. We tested some new engine maps in Monza for the first time, and we will develop these further in Singapore. Even with DRS, overtaking will be difficult on this track, so qualifying positions and strategy are going to be important."

The DRS system could play a crucial role this weekend. While, as Key said, overtaking will still be difficult it is clear that the DRS has played a crucial role in assisting overtaking this year. If the Pirelli tyres struggle to deal with this street circuit, as they did at Monaco, there could be opportunities to find a way past the car in front. Martin Whitmarsh, team principal of McLaren, certainly believes that there is potential for an exciting race on Sunday:

"I think we're set to continue the trend we've witnessed so far this season, with DRS enlivening races that hitherto would have been somewhat processional,” said Whitmarsh. “The addition of DRS means that we should expect some truly electrifying racing this weekend. The track is wide enough to support close and exciting wheel-to-wheel racing and I sincerely hope that's what we see this weekend.”
    Formula 1 revolves around Pirelli tyres in 2011

As has been the case throughout the season thus far the race will swing on the performance of the Pirelli tyres. The Italian manufacturer has done a superb job of enlivening races with a high performance tyre that degrades quickly. This weekend’s race should, once again, provide a thrilling shootout where drivers are forced to think on their feet and adapt to the performance of the tyres as the ever changing nature of the track surface provides a unique challenge for drivers.

Pirelli will once more be the focus of much attention at Jerez
    Paul Hembery was keen to comment on how Pirelli will impact proceedings over the course of the weekend:

"Singapore is a race that adds a unique and truly spectacular new dimension to the Formula One calendar,” said the Pirelli motorsport director. “Because it is such a specific event, this makes it quite hard for teams to arrive at the best set-up and you often see some quite different solutions. Our tyres have to work equally effectively within a wide range of parameters, and this is one of the biggest challenges for us over the course of the year. A lot is made of the heat in Singapore, but what people tend to feel is actually the humidity, which means that our tyres should be comfortably within their working range when it comes to ambient and track temperature. The tyres will be working as hard as the drivers this weekend: many of the drivers say that this street circuit is even more demanding than Monaco.

"As we've seen in the past, particularly in Canada, the combination of soft and supersoft tyres provides plenty of opportunities for the teams to put in place some interesting strategies, with the supersoft in particular expected to provide an appreciable performance advantage. The free practice sessions in Singapore will be crucial, as the teams assess the effect of each of our tyres on their set-ups and overall speed."

Weather for this weekend

High temperatures, and high humidity, are expected throughout the weekend with scattered thunder storms also forecast. There has not been a wet Singapore Grand Prix since it came onto the calendar but with Pirelli having tested in the wet weather under the Abu Dhabi lights there is little to fear in relation to how the lights and track surface would make it difficult for drivers to see the track, as was the case for MotoGP rider in Qatar last year.

The challenge of heat and humidity will surely be the biggest test for drivers throughout the weekend but an untimely shower in qualifying or the race could provide a dramatic challenge for drivers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm currently on my way to this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Whilst the racing this season hasn't really needed the weather to spice it up there's a part of me that hopes for some wet racing under the lights. It could really shake up the field,and with the drivers title a foregone conclusion some of the chasing pack may be willing to take some risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A bit of rain would be a lot of fun. :) I fancy Vettel to be ridiculously far ahead of Webber yet again and by extension to be ahead of everyone else in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

If we do get rain on the Sunday, would that make it the first open-wheel wet night race in any discipline? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I'm currently on my way to this one!

Nice one Monkey, I went to a couple of races this year and I've got to say I was blown away! Have a good weekend

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I did a lap in low light levels in the snow in a open-wheel car:pac: Does that count :)

Shopping trolley in a tesco carpark? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

This weekend’s race in Singapore promises to be one of the most difficult of the season from a strategic perspective.

The Marina Bay Circuit offers a combination of challenges to teams with the track surface gradually cleaned throughout the weekend offering vastly different characteristics at the start of the weekend to the end of the race.

The nature of the track layout also offers challenges to teams and drivers with the rear tyres receiving the brunt of wear due to the constant accelerating and braking throughout the lap. As a result it is very easy to overheat the rear tyres while conversely with all corners seeing relatively low apex speeds it is quite difficult for drivers to “load” the front tyres and generate sufficient heat to get the front tyres into their optimum operating window.

With the Singapore Grand Prix set to last for just under two hours drivers set off from the grid with exceptionally heavy fuel loads, approximately 170kg the highest of the year. This will place a tremendous strain on the tyres and with the nature of the track already causing extreme wear on the rear tyres it is clear that the opening stint of this Grand Prix could be exceptionally short as drivers are forced to deal with a severe lack of rear grip.

Pirelli will bring the soft and supersoft tyres this weekend. These are the same compounds that could only last 14 laps in Hungary, the equivalent of eight laps in Singapore.

These factors will give the cars that are gentle on their rear tyres, the likes of Sauber, Ferrari and McLaren, a significant advantage on two fronts. They will have fresher rubber for the majority of the race but much more importantly these teams will limit the potential of a safety car hampering their pace in the race.

The possibility of the safety car being deployed is quite high in Singapore with each of the three previous races having seen accidents cause the deployment. As a result teams will do their utmost to ensure that they are in a position to make a “free” pitstop under a neutral track. This plays into the hands of the likes of Sauber and Toro Rosso who will do their utmost to make just a single pitstop as they try to move through the order from rows five, six of seven on the gird.

One of the most surprising elements of races in Singapore has been that once a car gets falls into the midfield it is all but impossible for them to get back to the front of the field, regardless of the speed of their car. This was illustrated perfectly by Felipe Massa in 2008. The Ferrari driver came into the pits for a scheduled stop in the lead but after a disastrous stop that saw him leave the pits with the fuel hose still connected the Brazilian found himself in the midfield and unable to finish better than eighth.

Due to this difficultly, and the 24s pit time, teams will do their best to limit the amount of time spent in pitlane and will do their best to be as flexible in case the safety car is deployed.

Drag it to the first safety car on soft tyres then drag it to the end on hard tyres after the safety car. Button should pit as early as possible since he'll be behind Hamilton in quali anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

wud like to see schui quailify in top 5 and make a great start and try for podium if car has improved enough. barring that get hamilton stuck behind again :D

wud like to see schui quailify in top 5 and make a great start and try for podium if car has improved enough. barring that get hamilton stuck behind again :D

Nah, Schumi from 11th to 5th off the start then up the inside of Hamilton into turn 4. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I spent 4 hrs last night playing this on F1 2010, It took me 3 hours to master the Singapore Sling. I think it's a great track.
    I was looking at BBC weather and it may be raining on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Probably going to miss this because of work, but will surely find full race highlights somewhere that evening.

Wonder where they're going to have the DRS zone(s)? Ideal positions would be to have the 'within one-second line' in between 4 and 5 with activation just after 5 for the long run down to 7. Or, could place the 'within one-second' line 50 or so metres before the pit entry and the activation line just after the exit of 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Vettle for the win. In each of the competition rounds so far I've been avoiding voting for Vettle, both hoping him a DNF and me to pull in a good points haul. Now, any time he didn't win I just couldn't pick the right option. So here's my safe bet for this weekend, Vettle to win - and then the superstition will work and cause the DNF.:rolleyes: I know you guys are getting bored of me wishing the DNF! Or maybe a DNS??

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Think it's gonna be a wet race.

kwalshe wrote: »
    I spent 4 hrs last night playing this on F1 2010, It took me 3 hours to master the Singapore Sling. I think it's a great track.
    I was looking at BBC weather and it may be raining on Sunday.

first time was it??????? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Hope its a wet race and Vettel doesnt win and its an exciting race, not looking for much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

first time was it??????? :D
    I wish it was, I meant taking it at nearly full belt.
    I think it's very early in the year for this , I suspect Vettel might take the championship this weekend.
    When you look at his dominance , it's quite remarkable.
    You don't really get the sense in the media about his achievment or his path to his current abilities.
    When God (i.e Schumacher) , was all over every podium in his prime, they were always highlighting his background and the details of what made him such a strong driver in every sense, i.e training , technical ability around the car and team structure
    Can't wait....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heavy showers forecast from Saturday onwards, so if we don't get a wet one, I'm 95% confident we'll get a damp one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Kerbs breaking apart it seems. Track repairs delayed P1 (I think) and a few of them have been removed...

🤪

Should be little or no need for kerbs on street tracks tbh.

Also John Watson is fun to have on commentary for FP2, he has a lot of the same opinions as a few on here and isn't as diplomatic as most. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I think I lost more fluid than the drivers during that! Humidity is at about 65%!

People don't realise the humidity in Ireland, it's over 90% for about half the year and rarely goes below 60%!

Also, why still no rain in Singapore? :(

HHF and Eddie together. I've never found out the full story there but there does seem to be more than a little awkwardness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

was anyone listening after the intro to today's show? Eddie and Jake were describing the attention to detail of the circuit, pit-lane etc. right down to the grass and shrubs. Then Eddie said that there were free performances from Shakira, Linkin' Park and .......... Rick Astley :eek:
    I think I'm hearing things... :confused::confused:

b47249272100ac7547d659e25b23d09d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That bit about the tyres was fascinating. I knew why drivers really try to avoid flat spots, but I didn't know it got that bad. I didn't know they deliberately go for "marbles" after the race, just to add to the car's weight for the scrutineers.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    That bit about the tyres was fascinating. I knew why drivers really try to avoid flat spots, but I didn't know it got that bad. I didn't know they deliberately go for "marbles" after the race, just to add to the car's weight for the scrutineers.

Have you ever heard of Martin Brundle? :pac: He mentions it enough. :)

Whereever that interview with Maldonado is is where I want to live. :pac:

rubins what can kimi offer to williams next season "haha i dont know i realy dont know"
    love it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

amacachi wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of Martin Brundle? :pac: He mentions it enough. :)
    He mentions what enough? He mentions flat spots a lot, yes, but I've never heard him describe before today how a severe flat spot can shake the whole wheel off the car. That's what I meant by "that bad". Gimme a break ... :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Well I was more talking about the picking up marbles after the race thing, he's always on about that.

When it comes to flat-spotting he's referred to this a few times, about 40 seconds in.

Advertisement