Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Irish Atheist so aggressive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

In fairness I still have huge problems with a hamster running for president. Call me bigoted if you like but that's just the way God made me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    In fairness I still have huge problems with a hamster running for president. Call me bigoted if you like but that's just the way God made me! :pac:

That's not a nice thing to say about the deputy first minister of Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

DeleveleD wrote: »
    Hello there! I'm a German Thanks in advance, DeleveleD

There's your answer right there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Monty. wrote: »
    I came here with an open mind
    Citation needed.

Monty, your existence in this forum - like that of dead one - only continues in order to catalogue the worst aspects of the religious mindset. Keep up the good work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Malty_T wrote: »
    Oh and Monty could you give an example of this bigotry by any of the following posters :

Robindch,
    Dades,
    Wick -dammit- Zombrex
    Bluewolf. (Ahem, bluewolf ya loon Malt)
    Sarky,
    Oldwisnr
    Sponsored Walk
    Strobe.
    Newaglish.
    Sensibleken.
    Genghis Cohen.
    Giselle.
    Ickle Magoo.
    ShooterSF.

Ta.

Hey!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hey!!

you big bigot ya

Quiet, you bigot! :pac:

EDIT: snap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm no bigot and that's a fact seeing as my opinion is the only one that matters.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you're so open minded it's an inspiration, MM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

Tomk1 wrote: »
    or as that Mayo mag 4you, baby-eaters, satan-worshipers, etc.

Can someone translate this for me? I have been looking at it for 5 minutes and nothing registers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Panrich wrote: »
    or as that Mayo mag 4you, baby-eaters, satan-worshipers, etc.

Can someone translate this for me? I have been looking at it for 5 minutes and nothing registers.

This lovely bundle of mindless apologetics is what I believe Tomk1 is referring to:

http://www.4you.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    This lovely bundle of mindless apologetics is what I believe Tomk1 is referring to:

Cripes!

Panrich wrote: »
    Cripes!
    I know! They've absolutely positioned the navigation bar 120px from the left while allowing the main content table to centre inside it's containing DIV.

Crazy Christians!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hey!!
    I'm not on it either. Hooray! I'm a bigot. I've always wondered what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Dades wrote: »
    I know! They've absolutely positioned the navigation bar 120px from the left while allowing the main content table to centre inside it's containing DIV.

Crazy Christians!

I've come to realise that faith in religion is inversely related to aptitude for web design.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

gbee wrote: »
    There's your answer right there.

Don't make me pull Godwin's Law on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Here's my own observations :
    Most adults are secure in their own beliefs and have no need to attack the beliefs of others, but some reason the typical Irish atheist seems to be both immature and insecure. Prejudices regarding religion are taken as blanket gospel, and they refuse to distinguish between individuals. They also tend to be evangelical atheists who want to convince and convert everyone to their unbelief, copying religion at its dogmatic worst, pretending they have all the answers. They think Irish life would be vastly improved if only everyone believed as they do. Unless your prepared to agree with everything they say, you'll never have a two way conversation with them, they just like to shout the same script over and over with their fingers in their ears. They've taken the hysterically over the top publicity seeking pantomime acts of Dawkins / Hawkins etc. as their role models. I came here with an open mind to understand their own views and perspective, but they have none of their own. If one of them shows the slightest signs of diverting from the script, he's shot down by the rest. I just come here now to see if there is any bottom level to their bigotry. So far there is not, but it has been a useful exercise to get to know their true mentality.

I like that thing you said about not distinguishing between individuals. I found it particular poignant that you backed it up with a real world cross-denominational example by doing so repeatedly in your own post.

Pretty much the argumentative equivalent of hitting yourself in the face with your own foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

Malty_T wrote: »
    Oh and Monty could you give an example of this bigotry by any of the following posters :

Robindch,
    Dades,
    Wick -dammit- Zombrex
    Bluewolf. (Ahem, bluewolf ya loon Malt)
    Sarky,
    Oldwisnr
    Sponsored Walk
    Strobe.
    Newaglish.
    Sensibleken.
    Genghis Cohen.
    Giselle.
    Ickle Magoo.
    ShooterSF.

Ta.

I'm the bad guy?!
    michael+douglas+falling+down.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

DeleveleD wrote: »
    Hello there!

I assume the topic pretty much gives my question away.

I'm a German and have moved to Ireland about a year ago. While the people on the street seem generally friendly, I'm not the kind of guy to walk up to some stranger and make friends.

So I decided to join these boards and was delighted to find an Atheism & Agnosticism forum. Not much of a person of god myself I thought that I might find some nice discussions going on here.

However, I was almost shocked to find so much name calling and aggressiveness going on. Not only against people of different belief systems, but also amongst the atheists and agnostics themselves.

I'd simply like for someone to explain all this fighting and infighting to me, as it is very different from what I've come to learn as the behaviour of more rational folk.

Thanks in advance, DeleveleD

Depends on the posters I guess. Which threads are you referring to?

As has already said you should remember that there is often history between various posters, and that some posters may have simply run out of patience with others.

This is normal on an internet forum.

More worrying examples would be where a completely new person joins in and is instantly called names and made fun of. This is much less acceptable than someone calling a troll a troll for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

strobe wrote: »
    Now now, 'promised', not threatened. :)

Although acquiring diseased animal faeces is proving somewhat more difficult than I had originally envisioned. How am I to know whether or not it is diseased for a start? I mean presumably all animal faeces would carry some disease or another. But to be sure would require some very expensive lab tests. A work in progress. I'll keep you up to date as it develops.

Nice, you do that.

• Advertisement

All faeces are diseased from our point of view. They're mostly composed of bacteria that live in the gut of the animal which expelled them. Of course, they're not diseased to every animal- I know of a few tiny marine organisms that feed on excrement. Sometimes they even expel their own, wait for it to be colonised by different, more nutritious bacteria, then eat it again.

Sometimes I wonder if God has some kind of scat fetish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Here's my own observations :
    Most adults are secure in their own beliefs and have no need to attack the beliefs of others, but some reason the typical Irish atheist seems to be both immature and insecure.

Funnily enough, it seems to me the exact opposite - atheists are much more secure and relaxed about their version of reality than most of the religious posters.
    Prejudices regarding religion are taken as blanket gospel, and they refuse to distinguish between individuals. They also tend to be evangelical atheists who want to convince and convert everyone to their unbelief, copying religion at its dogmatic worst, pretending they have all the answers. They think Irish life would be vastly improved if only everyone believed as they do.

I think you are way off the mark here. Atheists want to dicsuss and explain their view point, that's what this forum is about, if Catholics like yourself were so secure about your beliefs as you claim I don't think you would get so upset about it.
    Unless your prepared to agree with everything they say, you'll never have a two way conversation with them, they just like to shout the same script over and over with their fingers in their ears. They've taken the hysterically over the top publicity seeking pantomime acts of Dawkins / Hawkins etc. as their role models.

Wrong again - there are frequent interesting discussions here where people have differing positions - see the Burka Ban thread for example, where both sides were taken and argued in depth. The difference is the arguments tend to be rational rather than based on religious dogma.
    I came here with an open mind to understand their own views and perspective, but they have none of their own. If one of them shows the slightest signs of diverting from the script, he's shot down by the rest. I just come here now to see if there is any bottom level to their bigotry. So far there is not, but it has been a useful exercise to get to know their true mentality.

I despair when someone talks about having an open mind then comes out with this kind of crazy talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

oldrnwisr wrote: »

You should see their magazine, it make's the website look tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

You should see their magazine, it make's the website look tame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This from the guy that threatened to post "diseased animal feces" to a Catholic newspaper.

You speak with a forked tongue.

Just for you ; Matthew 10:11-34

Have you seen the quality of Catholic newspapers? It'd surely improve it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I just come here now to see if there is any bottom level to their bigotry. So far there is not, but it has been a useful exercise to get to know their true mentality.

This from the guy that threatened to post "diseased animal feces" to a Catholic newspaper.

You speak with a forked tongue.

Just for you ; Matthew 10:11-34

I see you skipped a few Matthew's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

swampgas wrote: »
    Funnily enough, it seems to me the exact opposite - atheists are much more secure and relaxed about their version of reality than most of the religious posters

Then get over trying to belittle believers, their faith.

We reckon you're wrong, because a lot of stuff in your books doesn't make sense or has been shown to be wrong through repeatable, verifiable methods.

That's hardly belittling, is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

alex73 wrote: »
    Then get over trying to belittle believers, their faith.

And Im guessing that believers and their faith are so linked that to belittle one is to belittle both?
    Can I belittle your odd phrasing?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hey!!

You see that space between ShooterSF and Ta? Well there's where your name was but it just disappeared a while after I wrote it must have used the wrong magic ink.

Advertisement