Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Irish Atheist so aggressive?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Preaching the word of God. I was today handing out leaflets outside NUIG.
    And somebody physically abused you? Did you report it?

Also, what has this assault got to do with the posters here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Preaching the word of God. I was today handing out leaflets outside NUIG.
    What has you being attacked got anything to do with Atheists and specifically Atheists on this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I have been verbally and physically abused

Kids all over the world were repeatedly verbally, emotionally, sexually and physically abused by priests for years.
    I still pray though for each and every one of you.

Do you pray for those priests too? I think they need your prayers more than we do.
    I believe that deep down you are good people.

Do you believe that deep down they are good people too? Because I damn well doubt that they are.

Was Hitler a good person deep down? What about Gary Glitter? Joseph Fritzl? I can go on you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ChristianJenny

UDP wrote: »
    What has you being attacked got anything to do with Atheists and specifically Atheists on this forum?

Its very relevant. Atheists are very aggressive in General because they do not have the same sense of morality as Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Its very relevant. Atheists are very aggressive in General because they do not have the same sense of morality as Christians.

Chooo chooo, the morality train is on it's way! Chooo chooo!

Listen, Carl Sagan, and countless others proved that monkeys have morals and they don't have religion, so please do not tell me that you get your morals from a book which talks about god commanding people to rape and murder entire villages.

Up until recently the vatican had slaves, too. Was that moral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

Oh people, don't feed the troll.

[-0-] wrote: »
    Kids all over the world were repeatedly verbally, emotionally, sexually and physically abused by priests for years.

Do you pray for those priests too? I think they need your prayers more than we do.

Do you believe that deep down they are good people too? Because I damn well doubt that they are.

Was Hitler a good person deep down? What about Gary Glitter? Joseph Fritzl? I can go on you know.

I would certainly like to think deep down they are good people. There is evidence to suggest otherwises. Look at the former atheist regimes of communist Russia and Cambodia to see evidence of what a godless culture was like.

DeleveleD wrote: »
    Oh people, don't feed the troll.

Look on the street I put up with this nonsense and divergence all the time. If you dont want to debate then dont reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I would certainly like to think deep down they are good people. There is evidence to suggest otherwises. Look at the former atheist regimes of communist Russia and Cambodia to see evidence of what a godless culture was like.

Nazi Germany? Iraq? Afghanistan? Anybody?!

Edit: Godwin!

ChristianJenny, you gots a lot of learning to do. You see the answer is in your statement. Atheism does not equal communism. I think it is communism and corrupt humans you have a problem with.

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to understand why you were at least verbally abused in Galway.

Your horribly religious-centric preconceptions are inevitably going to offend. You call yourself a Christian yet you are really just espousing hate under the cloak of religion. What would Jesus do, I wonder?

I foresee a short stay for you here as I think you're too far gone to save from yourself.

Look on the street I put up with this nonsense and divergence all the time. If you dont want to debate then dont reply.

Hear hear, a challenger appears.

You want to debate? Very well, then at first please explain what you mean by "deep down".

Dades wrote: »
    I'm beginning to understand why you were at least verbally abused in Galway.

Your horribly religious-centric preconceptions are inevitably going to offend. You call yourself a Christian yet you are really just espousing hate under the cloak of religion. What would Jesus do, I wonder?

I foresee a short stay for you here as I think you're too far gone to save from yourself.

Oh I see. A Christian comes into the lions den and the Romans cover in fear. How strange.

You want to debate? Very well, then at first please explain what you mean by "deep down".

Thanks you my firend for trying to listen to me. Well I believe every person has a soul, this soul is the voice in your head. It shapes your morality. Sometimes this voices gets hidden due to the godless nature of todays existence. The power of prayer is needed to rediscover this morality.

Oh I see. A Christian comes into the lions den and the Romans cover in fear. How strange.
    No, I think the issues is the lions will pounce and you will not survive or you will run for cover. I loves fresh meat...

Hang on - who are Romans in this analogy?

ChristianJenny, you don't know any of us to judge us. And last I checked Christians were supposed to leave the judging to the man above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Thanks you my firend for trying to listen to me. Well I believe every person has a soul, this soul is the voice in your head. It shapes your morality. Sometimes this voices gets hidden due to the godless nature of todays existence. The power of prayer is needed to rediscover this morality.

Can you provide evidence of cases where people's "souls" have lost their voices as a result of living in a "godless" society?

And I don't mean cases of atheists doing bad things. Because Christians have been just as bad, if not worse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I think you'll find that most people here are Irish, though we've Scottish and a recent German contributor as well.

Welcome, btw, if you're not a troll (quite a few pass by here, so I trust you'll forgive the conditional).

What exactly did your physical abuse consist of -- did you report it to the police?

I'm afraid I still don't quite follow you. So the "good deep down" is not actual goodness but just what you refer to as the soul?

For you see, I try to carry my goodness skin deep. I donate to charity, I regularly partake in chartiable events such as beach cleaning.

I work in customer service which requires of me to help little old ladies every day in the nicest possible way.

I have not yet murdered anybody and, in fact, am an incredibly gentle and peaceful person.

But if, as you say, I'm only a good person deep down, than this must mean that all these acts are just an end product of my godlessnes and inheritly evil.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Well (many of us) believe there is no such thing as a soul, or a universal morality, and that any individual morality comes from millions of years of evolution, combined with how you were raised and your life experiences.

What's not important is where you get your morality from, but that you exhibit a decency toward your fellow man. Some do, some don't - but that line is rarely drawn by religion or lack thereof.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    I think you'll find that most people here are Irish, though we've Scottish and a recent German contributor as well.

Welcome, btw, if you're not a troll (quite a few pass by here, so I trust you'll forgive the conditional).

What exactly did your physical abuse consist of -- did you report it to the police?

I have had tea and coffe thrown at me, called every name under the soon such as Peadophile protecter etc (I'm not even Catholic) have been called stupid for believing in God and if you dont F off away from here you'll be in trouble. Drunk people after nightclubs throwing left over food at our prayer sessions. Along that tyope of stuuf. Jesus Christ's message is one of forgivness so we forgive them.

Dades wrote: »
    Well (many of us) believe there is no such thing as a soul, or a universal morality, and that any individual morality comes from millions of years of evolution, combined with how you were raised and your life experiences.

What's not important is where you get your morality from, but that you exhibit a decency toward your fellow man. Some do, some don't - but that line is rarely drawn by religion or lack thereof.

Do you hear a voice deep downinside you. If so that is your soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Any excuse to repost these. Hope nobody minds.

ChristianJenny, I hope that you can take the time to watch these videos and realise that your "atheists have no basis for their morality" is a complete non-starter.

On a personal note, I'd rather have my moral code based on a rational consideration of my actions than rely on the morals outlined in the Bible any day of the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I have had tea and coffe thrown at me, called every name under the soon such as Peadophile protecter etc (I'm not even Catholic) have been called stupid for believing in God and if you dont F off away from here you'll be in trouble. Drunk people after nightclubs throwing left over food at our prayer sessions. Along that tyope of stuuf. Jesus Christ's message is one of forgivness so we forgive them.

I've met those type of people previously. Many of them would regard them selves as Irish Catholics.
    What makes you think they were atheist?

No I don't.

I was a catholic for years. I was an altar boy. I went to Medjugorje.

Not a peek, and not for want of listening. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I have had tea and coffe thrown at me, called every name under the soon such as Peadophile protecter etc (I'm not even Catholic)
    Did you report them to the police?
    have been called stupid for believing in God
    Well, in all fairness, you've just said a couple of fairly obnoxious things about non-religious people here a few minutes ago, so if you're saying that kind of thing to people's faces too, I think you shouldn't be surprised if people react badly.

How do you know its not schizophrenia?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Welcome Jenny, Alahu Akbar to you. I'm here to inform you that you might be making a big mistake. The One True Faith is Islam. I know this because the Qu'ran, says as much and it was transcribed by Mohamed, pbuh, under the guidance of the Archangel Gabriel, pbuh and it is the true book of God. The circular evidense for this is rock-solid

Christianity is the wrong religion and I'm afraid you won't be getting in to heaven unless you accept Mohamed, pbuh, as God's last prophet. It's possible that you may have eaten pork or shellfish in your lifetime and for this I don't think there is much hope for you in the afterlife.

I suggest that you learn about the Qu'ran and the life and message of Muhamed, pbuh, before it's too late. There is an islamic expert in this forum called dead_one. It may be worth speaking to him as he can send you in the right in the right direction on your journey to everlasting peace.

Asalaam Alaikum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have had tea and coffe thrown at me, called every name ........... that tyope of stuuf. Jesus Christ's message is one of forgivness so we forgive them.

Except you're still carrying around your dislike of those events and letting it colour your perceptions of everyone you talk to who's not Christian. It doesn't sound like you've let go of very much at all. you may need to try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You've gotten much more aggressive since your OP :pac:
    Drunk people after nightclubs throwing left over food at our prayer sessions.

TBH I have absolutely no sympathy for the type of people who feel the need to try and convert drunken revelers at 2am.
    Reminds me of a time on Grafton St. some loons Christians were waiting outside the pub at closing time with their John 3:16 signs and one of my mates launched into this:

What if it tells me to burn things? :)

Advertisement