Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Hi, I am selling my car, ad is https://www.carsireland.ie/2402554

It is in Donedeal and Carzone too. Curiously enough I have two "prospect buyers" from the UK that have offered money without seeing the car and they will send the cheque and send someone to ship the car when it has cleared.

This is the message:

" it's like we can come to an
    agreement,so keep the ad off market and consider sold to me.I am okay
    with the price,your details is needed for payment to be issued out to
    you via post,in which reputable courier will handle the shipment.

So do not worry about that OK. I will be sending you a cheque its will
    be cleared before pick up.....I will send the shipping agent details
    when the payment clears.

Get back to me with your details as requested below:
    Full name...
    Residential address...
    City..
    State..
    Zipcode...
    Country...
    Cell Phone number...
    Home Phone number...

Can you remove it from the posting and consider it sold to me? If i
    have the payment details today the payment will be sent on Monday
    OK..I will be looking forward to read from you...if you have whats-app
    you can chat me up on xxxxx.

Regard.
    Thank You..........xxxxxxx
    N.B....The cheque will have to be cleared before the pick up of the car."

I know it has to be a scam, but I am not sure what they might be interested in, my address???

Cheers

Edit: Obviously there are cheaper cars in the UK than mine

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What they’ll do is overpay you for the car using a fake draft, then get you to give them money back. You lose the money you give them, and the bank takes back the fake draft money.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What they’ll do is overpay you for the car using a fake draft, then get you to give them money back. You lose the money you give them, and the bank takes back the fake draft money.

Hmm, but I would not give money back until the draft has cleared? But yeah, that makes some sense

If it’s a foreign draft, I think the money shows in your account before it actually clears or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Was just about to post a similar thread /question

Have a 05 Focus with nct till next July taxes till end of this month
    Was hoping I’d just be able to trade it against the car I was getting but the dealer didn’t want it
    I’d nearly have let him take it for free to avoid the hassle of selling it !

I’d hate to scrap it as it’s been a fine car and is still running well
    But I don’t think I want the hassle and stress of trying to sell it
    Insurance will be switched to new car in 2 weeks so may just give it till then to try and sell

Time has come to sell it and I am very nervous about it all.
    Tax is up at end of month.
    Insurance has been switched to new car
    So I do not know where that leaves me for test drives.......I have just put it up on Done Deal but I may take it down overnight while I think about . I would get a few 100 for it no doubt but I do not want to take any risks whatsoever. I don't know what to do tbh
    It is parked off road at drive of house if that makes any difference. I would hate to scrap it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Theres a certain type of person that you’ll be dealing with at that end of that market.

Scrap it and be done with it.

Theres a certain type of person that you’ll be dealing with at that end of that market.

Scrap it and be done with it.

:(
    Would they not be the same type of person?
    I am leaning this way though sadly cos it is running fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Stick it up on the "Your car for sale" thread on Boards, and also in the Bangernomics thread

One final question
    The tax is out on November 1st
    Do I need to declare it off the road by then and if I do will this affect test drives ?

Have has a few time wasters enquire and that’s it so far
    If i end up having to tax it I might very reluctantly have to scrap it

Don’t declare it off the road. Just drive it, you’ll be fine til December at the least.

• Advertisement

Don’t declare it off the road. Just drive it, you’ll be fine til December at the least.

It’s parked up off road anyway

Some amount of time wasters out there :(

Try doing it for a living :’(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres some chancers out there.. I have a car for sale and someone made a stupid offer and said, “The car was crashed in the uk” and sent me a history check. All the details of my car were wrong. nct, tax, date of import etc. Didn’t even have a reg shown on the check. Clearly a report from another car that had been wrote off.

The things people will do to get a few quid off the asking price! I bet he sent that same message and report to loads of people!

km79 wrote: »
    Some amount of time wasters out there :(

And just like that it was gone
    Got a phone call from a genuine person at 330
    Collected and paid in cash (the amount I had been hoping for too) at 430
    Logbook signed and kept by me
    Name and address double checked against their licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Anyone know what the best time of year to sell a car is? Put my car up two days ago and no bites yet

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Two days ago was New Year's Eve. You need to give it more time.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Two days ago was New Year's Eve. You need to give it more time.

Yes apologies, I meant more along the lines of no saves etc I'm in no rush but generally asking what times of year would most second hand sales happen?

The car becomes worth less as the year goes on so now is a good tome to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Kilboor wrote: »
    Yes apologies, I meant more along the lines of no saves etc I'm in no rush but generally asking what times of year would most second hand sales happen?

Selling a cheap or dear car?

If it's cheap and cheerful check your price.
    Let off brothers 12 year old Mazda over the Christmas.
    Plenty 4 or 5 saves. 200 odd views.
    Still plenty activity at lower end of market.

• Advertisement

Selling a cheap or dear car?

If it's cheap and cheerful check your price.
    Let off brothers 12 year old Mazda over the Christmas.
    Plenty 4 or 5 saves. 200 odd views.
    Still plenty activity at lower end of market.

Roughly 9k so not cheap but I'm undercutting dealers by 1k if not more for others. NCT tomorrow so after that I'll see if interest increases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Kilboor wrote: »
    Roughly 9k so not cheap but I'm undercutting dealers by 1k if not more for others. NCT tomorrow so after that I'll see if interest increases

If new NCT put up a new ad or bump the old one. Put "New NCT" in title

Lot of people have no interest in short NCT

€1k isn’t a lot to be undercutting dealers by.

€1k isn’t a lot to be undercutting dealers by.

It's up to 3k in some cases but thanks will reconsider if interest doesn't increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There needs to be more than 1k difference between your private sale and a dealer. Remember that a buyer could haggle a decent discount off the dealer which brings it closer to your asking price again. Many people will be happy to pay that difference for the protection of some sort of warranty from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

How much of an impact do dents and scratches have on a sale price?

I've got a 08 Mini, about 100k km, with a dent in the corner of the rear bumper where it was reversed into a pillar once - just under the tail lights but they're not damaged - and some serious patches of paint peeling on the bonnet and roof. This is not the car but it's representative, think multiple patches of this:

65a88477_b3ac_473a_b34b_3b4ce6d03163_41cfa741a5459ab6d6534c683a6066e2c2a13a33.jpeg

Mechanically the car has been bulletproof, regular service, new brake pads last year, never failed an NCT, though I get that's a hard sell when its exterior is poorly maintained.

I imagine it's way too old for it to be worth trying to repair the damage, so how much of a discount would you expect for that?

An 08 mini would be a low value trade car anyway so it won’t have a disastrous impact on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

bazz26 wrote: »
    There needs to be more than 1k difference between your private sale and a dealer. Remember that a buyer could haggle a decent discount off the dealer which brings it closer to your asking price again. Many people will be happy to pay that difference for the protection of some sort of warranty from a dealer.

How much would mileage affect how much you should be undercutting a dealer? Going to be selling a golf soon, it’s a 152 with 33,000kms and dealers are selling similar ones for €13k with almost 100,000kms more.

Depends on the spec really. Could make 14/15k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭brimeh

L-M wrote: »
    Depends on the spec really. Could make 14/15k.

True, will take it in to a dealer and see what they'd give me for it to get an idea.

Advertisement