Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have a day off tomorrow and want to choose a stove, I won't have much time so I am looking for a the biggest showroom possible in Dublin, any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hatch03

raglan wrote: »
    Hi hatch03 and emg74,
    Regarding the stratford stove, we have a EB20 installed the last 2 months. We are very happy with hot water and heat to upstairs rooms with it, but feel there could be more heat to the actual rooming is in from the stove itself. We have tried burning anthracite as recommended by stove supplier but this itself was hit and miss and have since discovered a lot of people have problems burning anthracite. We are now burning ecobrite which seems to be much easier to handle and a mix of logs. But unless we have a good big fire on of logs and coal and dials open at 5, there doesn't seem to be a fantastic amount of heat to the room as I would expect from the volume of fuel. A lot of the time you can still place your hand on the top of the stove as its not raging hot, where as we had a small Stanley Oisin stove before which you couldn't touch the outer body because of the heat. I suspect it may be the different type of metal used for each stove, as Oisin seems to have a cast iron body. Just wondering have you experienced any difficulties with room heat, heat off the stove itself, any advice would be great. As I said apart from this problem, very happy with it.mmay also require experimenting more with different coals etc.....
    Hi raglan
    Just read emg's response, pretty much de same from me, no problem with heat, u probably don't wanna hear it, but too much if anything, we're burning turf (and not great turf at that), heats all de rads in de house and de room(14'x14') with a small fire. Do u have de bracket to circulate de heat on inside de stove, dats de only thing i can think of.
    Hope dis helps

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭raglan

Hi Hatch03,
    Sorry what is the bracket on the inside? Ours came packaged in the box so assumed we had everything. Am going to ring their technical department to ask a few questions as well. Is the top of your stove very hot to touch even when burning turf?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hatch03

raglan wrote: »
    Hi Hatch03,
    Sorry what is the bracket on the inside? Ours came packaged in the box so assumed we had everything. Am going to ring their technical department to ask a few questions as well. Is the top of your stove very hot to touch even when burning turf?
    Its a bracket dat connects onto de back wall of the stove, it comes out from de back wall at 45degrees and along de top towards de front, if u have de manual its on page 10, its called a FEDS cover.
    Ya u wouldn't leave ur hand on it 2long, put a fire down an hour ago and its piping!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭raglan

Ok thanks for that, I'll look about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PadraigMc

I would like to install an inset stove in an existing fireplace. I have attached a photograph. The width of the opening is 410mm and the height is 600mm. Could anyone recommend a suitable insert. I do not want to change the existing fireplace.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

PadraigMc wrote: »
    I would like to install an inset stove in an existing fireplace. I have attached a photograph. The width of the opening is 410mm and the height is 600mm. Could anyone recommend a suitable insert. I do not want to change the existing fireplace.
    Thanks.
    There isn't a insert that will suit that fireplace.The timber surround is to close for a stove to close to combustible.You need to change the fireplace for any stove

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Robbie.G wrote: »
    There isn't a insert that will suit that fireplace.The timber surround is to close for a stove to close to combustible.You need to change the fireplace for any stove

I've been told that metal strips can be placed onto the fireplace to stop warping. Is this not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 walsheliz

Hi guys,
    Anyone got a step by step on now to connect and sal the pipe to my stove and to the reducer I propose to insert into the clay flue.
    I'm looking for the items to use fire cement, rope etc and how to connect the black enamel pipe to my stove which has a 145mm external diameter male connection.
    How do I seal the outside of the 8in reducer to the inside of the clay flue?
    Is there a link showing pictures or drawings I can refer to.
    Any help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

MugMugs wrote: »

I've been told that metal strips can be placed onto the fireplace to stop warping. Is this not the case?
    There is nothing that stops warping of the steel insert but that is not the issue it's distance to combustibles that can't be done with a wooden surround on a fireplace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Robbie.G wrote: »
    There is nothing that stops warping of the steel insert but that is not the issue it's distance to combustibles that can't be done with a wooden surround on a fireplace

Wood that is constantly heated and cooled becomes super-combustible within a certain number of hundreds of heat-and-cools, and can burst into flame from quite a small heating. That's why you shouldn't have wood within a short distance of a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

HI Folks
    Just got a morso squirrel 1430 installed. Have a (stupid) question. There are two air inlets - one is a lever at the bottom of the stove that goes left/right. The other is a circular one below the door on the ashpan that goes clockwise anti clockwise.

I don't know which way (on both inlets) actually opens ! I.e is it left or right on bottom lever (I think right = open) and is it clockwise/anti clockwise on circular lever?

Any help appreciated!!

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    HI Folks
    Just got a morso squirrel 1430 installed. Have a (stupid) question. There are two air inlets - one is a lever at the bottom of the stove that goes left/right. The other is a circular one below the door on the ashpan that goes clockwise anti clockwise.

I don't know which way (on both inlets) actually opens ! I.e is it left or right on bottom lever (I think left = open) and is it clockwise/anti clockwise on circular lever?

Any help appreciated!!

8 and 10 in this manual, yes? http://www.pant.org.uk/Files/manuals/stove%20text.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Brilliant stuff - that manual is much clearer than the one morso provided me with. Thanks!

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff - that manual is much clearer than the one morso provided me with. Thanks!

Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

illionman wrote: »
    Thanks for that Brianne and Qualitymary, I have never heard of that make. Good to hear they are made in Ireland. The output seems impressive. I would be interested to hear Brianne how it performs when you get it up and running properly. Thanks again,

I have my Yola stove up and running now with a week and still getting used to it. I must say I am really pleased with it. When you have a good hot fire in it the rads are really hot. It has a big firebox so it will take plenty fuel. I am using smokeless coal and timber. Again there is nice heat coming from it when it is lighting well. Now I have a long double rad in the room also which I need to leave on as well as the stove. I like the look of it as it has a nice large window but as other stoves it can blacken up at times and just trying out various cleaning remedies in the morning to clean that.

Brianne wrote: »
    I have my Yola stove up and running now with a week and still getting used to it. I must say I am really pleased with it. When you have a good hot fire in it the rads are really hot. It has a big firebox so it will take plenty fuel. I am using smokeless coal and timber. Again there is nice heat coming from it when it is lighting well. Now I have a long double rad in the room also which I need to leave on as well as the stove. I like the look of it as it has a nice large window but as other stoves it can blacken up at times and just trying out various cleaning remedies in the morning to clean that.

How much did it cost to connect all the radiators up, if you don't mind my asking, and was it a big job? Were you converting from gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

No we had a back boiler already so that was'nt an issue. We just replaced a single rad in the sitting room with a double and the same in the kitchen and we have 5 other single rads working off it. We have lots of hot water. We also put in flue liner. Its an inset stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Hi Folks,

In the process of buying a new house and one thing we want to get is a multi fuel back boiler stove.

Just wondering if any one has gotten one in and what type?
    Also if you are in the Dublin area a PM of who you got to install it and were they any good.

Thanks.

Well folks. In a three bed mid terraced timber frame home. Relatively small sitting room with a granite fire place.

Looking at this kind of stove, any experience of them?

http://www.thestoveyard.com/catalogue_item.php?catID=4149&prodID=20728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 illionman

Brianne wrote: »

Thanks for the update Brianne, glad to hear your stove is working well. I have been looking but haven't seen that particular model yet apart from on the net but I would like to see it in the flesh! The size of the firebox is an issue for me as I burn mainly timber but then again I know timber is not great on its own for heating water and rads etc. I still have not come across an inset boiler bigger that 16" or 400mm at the back so I guess they are just not there.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Well folks. In a three bed mid terraced timber frame home. Relatively small sitting room with a granite fire place.

Seems very expensive for 4.8kw.

Guy on adverts is suppose to be very good and has much better deals.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/martec/

He has 6kw for 225 and 7kw for 270.

Much better deals imo.

Look at this monster 12kw for 500.

http://www.adverts.ie/heating/12kw-multifuel-double-door-stove/1765718

Friend has a 7kw one he got for 300 euro and it gives great heat, his sitting room is open and joined to kitchen/hall and it heats the whole place up very well.

RoverZT wrote: »

Seems very expensive for 4.8kw.

Guy on adverts is suppose to be very good and has much better deals.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/martec/

He has 6kw for 225 and 7kw for 270.

Much better deals imo.

Look at this monster 12kw for 500.

http://www.adverts.ie/heating/12kw-multifuel-double-door-stove/1765718

Friend has a 7kw one he got for 300 euro and it gives great heat, his sitting room is open and joined to kitchen/hall and it heats the whole place up very well.
    Cheers for that. Where I was intending to source it from is quite a bit cheaper. I was moreso wondering about the make/maker....

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Hi all, I'm hoping to put a double sided insert stove into an existing fireplace that backs onto a kitchen. The current surround etc will all go. House was built in the mid-70's. From calculations I'm looking at something around. 14Kw

Is there anything that will limit my options in relation to the choice of stove? Depth of wall etc?

And how do I go about installing this? Break out and put in a series of lintels all the way through to support the existing chimney? Again anything that will limit the choice of stove?

Finally any recommendations on a make/model based on personal experience, or a supplier?

thanks -
    Gambas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,604 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks,
    I'm looking for some help identifying this particular stove http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/4095925
    Any help will be very much appreciated.

p.s I've tried contacting the seller for info but no joy as of yet.
    p.p.s this model is currently in my Mam's new house and I just want to be sure i can get parts for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

I have a Baby Gabriel stove for 2 years. It was the smallest stove I could find as I have a small room. I only burn wood in it so I took out the grate as it was taking up too much room. I find now that it burns much better. it's very controllable and and there's great heat out of it!

TTTT wrote: »

I have a Baby Gabriel stove for 2 years. It was the smallest stove I could find as I have a small room. I only burn wood in it so I took out the grate as it was taking up too much room. I find now that I can it burns much better. it's very controllable and and there's great heat out of it!
    Cheers for that. I've got a small sitting room to heat but was somewhat hopeful that it would throw out enough to heat the Hall and kitchen in the doors were left open. Would your hallway and kitchen feel the benefit too from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hi All,

Lots of information here thanks but not many mentions of installation costs?
    (maybe Im going blind!) I tried to search boards and this thread) :)

Anyway I have an existing Firebird 90 oil boiler and was looking to install an inset boiler stove in the living room to replace my open fire and have it back boiler enabled.

My living room is approximately 16 x 13 feet.
    I was looking for something like this
    http://www.aquathermstoves.co.uk/aquatherm-eco-f21-wood-boiler-stove

modern flush looking landscape shape not narrow portrait shape
    (regardless of the rad sizes in the rooms I dont have them to hand. just looking for typcial cost of stove required like the aquatherm)

if no one has a price on the aquatherm not to worry its the following im more interested in.

Whats a guide price for installation?
    Will the installation cost cover taking out the existing fireplace?
    Possible need to lengthen the existing fireplace cavity in width?
    plumbing in the pipework for a back boiler as none exists i.e. expansion tanks or extra pumps required for the boiler stove etc.

Any quick guides would be great. (I live in the wesht! if that impacts labour costs at all)

Thanks in advance!!
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Cheers for that. I've got a small sitting room to heat but was somewhat hopeful that it would throw out enough to heat the Hall and kitchen in the doors were left open. Would your hallway and kitchen feel the benefit too from it?

yes it heats my kitchen too which is connected by an opening with no door. I have another bigger stove in the kitchen but I usually only light one of them. you might have a draught if you leave doors open though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi everyone. I've been given this old very heavy cast-iron stove, I want to install it in a small joinery workshop to use up off-cuts and lessen the chill. It needs a bit of work to get it ready to fire, but nothing too difficult. I am a bit baffled by this flue outlet - what sort of fitting might attach to it? I want to put a 5" stainless steel flue on to it. There are two broken-off studs visible, drilling and tapping those isn't a problem.

Thanks JC

Photo0021.jpg

Advertisement