Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

lazydays50 wrote: »
    Can anybody please help? My two year old Stanley Oisin Stove has suddenly stopped drawing, the chimney was cleaned two weeks ago. Last night the fire was glowing red and then all of a sudden it just started smoking (First time ever) and the fire died!! Tried this morning with all the windows open and just got a smoke filled room!!!
    Any help please?
    The top baffle isn't in the right position or the chimney is blocked.I know you said the chimney was cleaned but what type of chimney is it

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Possibly a "cold plug of air" in the chimney....

the outside air temperature being much colder than the air in the chimney

if this is the case....I light twisted papers when starting the fire to ensure

there is enough heat going up the chimney to force the cold air out and

get the draft going ......open a window and be brave ....light a couple of

twisted papers to cause a good flame in the stove ...small wooden sticks and

a turf briquette or two.....to keep it going.....

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Hi I bought a stocton 7 six months ago and I am very happy with it. My only problem is the fire bricks have cracked and I just wondering do I need to replace them or is this anything to worry about. I will be amazed if I have to replace them every 6 months

Thanking you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lucillel

lucillel wrote: »
    Hi, been looking for some reviews on this stove, how are u finding it now?? the fire basket looks small do u have to refuel alot ?? is it worth the buy. i have a small sitting room and think this would be idea, just worried re size of fire box. and lack of reviews.. thanks..

I purchased the dimplex inset westcott 4.3kw stove and im not happy at all. My brother is a plumber and he installed it. He has installed lots of stoves and everyone else is happy, So im quiet confident that its installed correctly. It was also well insultated.
    However it is not throwing out the heat like i would like. Great heat when i open the door but alot of good that is. I burnt pure coal last night and it was very hot great heat, but when i use logs you might as well sit on it to get any heat. At first i blamed the logs but then i tried my neighbours logs who has a stovax in her sitting room also inset. My god the heat out of hers compared to mine. Now hers is a 5.5kw but her sitting room is twice the size. Im very disapointed. I rang dimplex and they said they wont touch it as it was not installed by an approved installing guy from dimplex. Am i doin something wrong. any tips or advise please. There is no heat coming out thru the vents at the top.. ?? it usually time to go to bed by the time it gets hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I purchased the dimplex inset westcott 4.3kw stove and im not happy at all. My brother is a plumber and he installed it. He has installed lots of stoves and everyone else is happy, So im quiet confident that its installed correctly. It was also well insultated.
    However it is not throwing out the heat like i would like. Great heat when i open the door but alot of good that is. I burnt pure coal last night and it was very hot great heat, but when i use logs you might as well sit on it to get any heat. At first i blamed the logs but then i tried my neighbours logs who has a stovax in her sitting room also inset. My god the heat out of hers compared to mine. Now hers is a 5.5kw but her sitting room is twice the size. Im very disapointed. I rang dimplex and they said they wont touch it as it was not installed by an approved installing guy from dimplex. Am i doin something wrong. any tips or advise please. There is no heat coming out thru the vents at the top.. ?? it usually time to go to bed by the time it gets hot.

I have the same stove and find it brilliant. The trick is to open the bottom vents until the fire is going well, then totally close them and leave them closed. Now the top vent for the airwash I close 3/4 of the way, and by 3/4 you will notice the series of holes inside the door you want them only open by 1/4 if that makes sense, so very little air is getting to the fire.

The flame inside the stove should be a slowly moving yellow flame, a red hot roaring fire means too much air in and your losing too much up the flu. I find this stove most efficient when there is very little air being fed to it, after an hour it starts to pump out the heat.

I also insulated the inside of the fireplace before installing which I think is a must for max efficiency. Good luck

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

Thank you for you reply, i am a bit confused, you say bottom vents i only have one in the bottom and the top one is the airwash, am i missing one ? i do close the bottom one when its reddened but still dont throw out heat..
    What are u burning ?

i must look for the series of holes inside the door,
    i have read the manual over and over and i find no mention of second bottom vent...

Thank you for you reply, i am a bit confused, you say bottom vents i only have one in the bottom and the top one is the airwash, am i missing one ? i do close the bottom one when its reddened but still dont throw out heat..
    What are u burning ?

i must look for the series of holes inside the door,
    i have read the manual over and over and i find no mention of second bottom vent...

Sorry didnt mean to confuse you, yes close the bottom vent when there is a good fire going. I only use the airwash when the fire is going to let in a SMALL amount of air. I dont keep the airwash fully open, close it about 1/2 to 3/4 way.

However each stove will be different depending on the draw of the chimney and fuel that you're using. I am burning briquettes.

Did the installer insulate around the sides of the inset within the fireplace?

Hi thank you again for your reply, yes he insulted all around the sides and underneath, i saw him do it. yes i do close the bottom vent and some of the top vent but still not throwing out heat. Have u tried wood ? why are u using briquetes, im after ordering seasoned hardwood now ash the best so must see how that goes.. i have a feelin tho something is wrong..
    when i sand in front of it, its warm but now warmer that an open fire.. when i open the door the heat is fab.. defeats the purpose.. i rang dimplex in ireland and they gave me a name of a guy that calls out but his phone is turned off . €80 call out charge but worth it if it gets going.. hope he returns my call.. how long do you have ur's?? who istalled yours was it an approved person by dimplex ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi folks, does anyone know of any boards user who would have a similar knowledge base to the likes of "stove fan" who used to be active in this forum? I'm looking for some unbiased expert advice and would be willing to pay say 15eur for a 30 minute chat over MSN/Gtalk if it meant I'd be spending my money wisely on the correct stoves.

I started a thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056825252

any recommendations on who may be able to help would be appreciated :)

Hi thank you again for your reply, yes he insulted all around the sides and underneath, i saw him do it. yes i do close the bottom vent and some of the top vent but still not throwing out heat. Have u tried wood ? why are u using briquetes, im after ordering seasoned hardwood now ash the best so must see how that goes.. i have a feelin tho something is wrong..
    when i sand in front of it, its warm but now warmer that an open fire.. when i open the door the heat is fab.. defeats the purpose.. i rang dimplex in ireland and they gave me a name of a guy that calls out but his phone is turned off . €80 call out charge but worth it if it gets going.. hope he returns my call.. how long do you have ur's?? who istalled yours was it an approved person by dimplex ?

Well if you were using unseasoned wet pine or softwood that may explain the poor heat. Try a bail of briquettes and see in a few hours after a nice fire is going and the air is closed off mostly. After 2 hours your shouldnt be able to leave your hand above the top vents its so hot.

The majority of heat with this stove will be pushed out of the top vents thru convection around the fire box. Mine takes about 2 hours to give max heat. The only thing i can think of if the baffle was left out completely or wasnt properly installed.

I have mine a few months and installed it myself. I use briquettes just because I find them handy but have used timber and coal with good results also.

• Advertisement

Well if you were using unseasoned wet pine or softwood that may explain the poor heat. Try a bail of briquettes and see in a few hours after a nice fire is going and the air is closed off mostly. After 2 hours your shouldnt be able to leave your hand above the top vents its so hot.

The majority of heat with this stove will be pushed out of the top vents thru convection around the fire box. Mine takes about 2 hours to give max heat. The only thing i can think of if the baffle was left out completely or wasnt properly installed.

I have mine a few months and installed it myself. I use briquettes just because I find them handy but have used timber and coal with good results also.

well after about 6 hours of pure coal last night there was no heat coming out thru the top vents only from all over so maybe it the baffle.. ill say it to my brother and thank you very much for taking the time to email me. i dont know what the baffle is but i will say it to him and hopefully he will know.. and be able to sort it and its not a big job.. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 illionman

Hi All,

Lots of information here thanks but not many mentions of installation costs?
    (maybe Im going blind!) I tried to search boards and this thread) :)

Anyway I have an existing Firebird 90 oil boiler and was looking to install an inset boiler stove in the living room to replace my open fire and have it back boiler enabled.

My living room is approximately 16 x 13 feet.
    I was looking for something like this
    http://www.aquathermstoves.co.uk/aquatherm-eco-f21-wood-boiler-stove

modern flush looking landscape shape not narrow portrait shape
    (regardless of the rad sizes in the rooms I dont have them to hand. just looking for typcial cost of stove required like the aquatherm)

if no one has a price on the aquatherm not to worry its the following im more interested in.

Whats a guide price for installation?
    Will the installation cost cover taking out the existing fireplace?
    Possible need to lengthen the existing fireplace cavity in width?
    plumbing in the pipework for a back boiler as none exists i.e. expansion tanks or extra pumps required for the boiler stove etc.

Any quick guides would be great. (I live in the wesht! if that impacts labour costs at all)

Thanks in advance!!
    Nick

Hi, You need to do a lot of work to install a stove like that into a standard fireplace. Both building work and plumbing work. The standard fireplace was sized to take a normal 16" or 18" fire back and this is obviously too small for the stove you want to install. Both sides of the opening supports the chimney starter that supports the chimney flu pipes and to remove this and replace it higher up is a big job. It would require 2 builders for a week. Removing the fireplace it self is easy. After that there is the plumbing to the radiators and hot press. Not to difficult if the hot tank is situated close to and above level of stove and the pipework from the radiators is close by and sized appropriately(Possibly not) Probably have to buy a new hot water cylinder also. I would say no change from €5,000 to install that stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Stovax inset stove v Boru inset stove.

Have had to change from original plan and need to purchase today. My fireplace is being taken out and apparently hearth stone is not projecting out enough to put stand alone stove on it so I have to get an inset one.

Is there a lot of difference in installation/price/reliability/functionality for similar kw outputs?
    In a bit of a panic .

Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Have had to change from original plan and need to purchase today. My fireplace is being taken out and apparently hearth stone is not projecting out enough to put stand alone stove on it so I have to get an inset one.

Is there a lot of difference in installation/price/reliability/functionality for similar kw outputs?
    In a bit of a panic .

Please help

Hi i fitted a stovax 7 kw stove 6 months ago and I find it brilliant. The installer told me a 7kw inset stove is same as 7kw free standing stove as regards output. I got the chimney lined as i decided to do full job as I was doing it. The stove cost me 1000 euro with 400 to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

In a bit of a panic .

Please help

A friend had a small hearth , all he did was get an additional piece of Marble in his case added to his existing heart......didn't cost much......I have two stand alones and find them very good.......

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

Ive had a plumber out and he suggested an Inis Meain stove for our house, we have 16 radiators altogether has anyone got one of these installed??
    Thanks

Also can rads only be heated and not hot water?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jim420

Lads could really do with some help,had problem with our old range so decided to put in a multi fuel stove,couldn't go to big with the stove as it was a boiler stove and only heated the hot water,no rads.we ran it the exact same as the old range but we started seeing black soot running down the walls,opened everything and seen a shiney black tar like stuff has formed on the top of the soot box over the flue comin from the stove,now it has started to drip down and run into the walls..
    could it be solved with a flexi flue from the top of the black pipe to the top of the chimney?

fire003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

jim420 wrote: »
    Lads could really do with some help,had problem with our old range so decided to put in a multi fuel stove,couldn't go to big with the stove as it was a boiler stove and only heated the hot water,no rads.we ran it the exact same as the old range but we started seeing black soot running down the walls,opened everything and seen a shiney black tar like stuff has formed on the top of the soot box over the flue comin from the stove,now it has started to drip down and run into the walls..
    could it be solved with a flexi flue from the top of the black pipe to the top of the chimney?

fire003.jpg
    2 reasons cause this it is cresotes it is caused by burning to wet of timber ideally timber should have a moisture content of under 20 percent
    Secondly the flue gases are cooling to quickly this can be cured by lining the chimney as this will insulate the chimney and then you will have the right size chimney for the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jim420

Robbie.G wrote: »
    2 reasons cause this it is cresotes it is caused by burning to wet of timber ideally timber should have a moisture content of under 20 percent
    Secondly the flue gases are cooling to quickly this can be cured by lining the chimney as this will insulate the chimney and then you will have the right size chimney for the stove

Cheers for the reply robbie.the first time it happened,we cleaned everything and then only burned coal and its happening again so its liner time i think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Devrobia

Hi all...Does anybody know much about this stove and could they give me some info on it and is it any good. Thanks a million, it's a Yola 17kw Inset Boiler. Here's the link

http://yolastoves.wordpress.com/17kw-inset-boiler/

• Advertisement

Hi lads. I've been looking around for the last couple of weeks for an insert stove. I had an open eire in my sitting room and after last winter i swore i wouldn't waste that much money on feeding an open fire. I bought a Dimplex Wescott 4.3kw during the week and put it in today. I'm only using small amounts of turf as that's whats recomended and have to say its early days but it seems to be great so far. Its very simple to fit and for someone that's on a tight budget its a very reasonable price of €420. I should be able to recoup my money over a winter or 2 on solid fuel.

Hi,
    i am just wondering how u are findin you dimplext westcott as im not happy at all with mine, does the heat come out thru the vents on top & side ? i am gettin very little heat from mine unless i burn coal its a great fire with door open but defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Hi - I'm building a new house 2900sqft and have conflicting advise on stove install, we've nothing done yet so the thinking is a 40 tube solar with a condenser boiler - we left pipe work for a gravity feed to the 300ltr tank directly overhead - now our plumber is saying that if the stove isn't on a lot then go with a non boiler to heat the living and kitchen but if the missus is home all day in the future get a boiler one and plumb it in --- lot of other people telling us to plumb in now ? Thanks in advance for any feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lkkev80

We are thinking of replacing an open gas fire (which gives out very little heat) with a Mulberry Yeats non bolier stove, has anyone got any feedback on this model of stove - good or bad?? Price is reasonable compared to some other brands.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Hi Stove Fan
    Have bought a Stanley Lismore with boiler - 12Kw to boiler and 5kw to room. I am so disappointed as it's not operating as I had hoped. Initially I had a problem with the thermostat rod - it was loose and wasn't working. The only way I could vent the fire was to open the ash door and then it roared up the chimney and set the boiler banging and clacking. A Stanley agent came out and fixed this but it still doesn't seem to be much better. I'm not sure it's fixed as I have to leave it fully open all the time to get any draw. He checked the draw on my chimney and said it was ok. I only get a lively fire for a while and then it slow burns even with the thermostat fully open. In the morning a lot of coal remains unburnt. The stove itself never gets hot to touch so I reckon it can't be giving out the proper amount of heat.
    My room size is 10.5ft x 29ft x 9ft.
    I'm really confused and disappointed. Would really appreciate any advice.

Sorry didnt mean to confuse you, yes close the bottom vent when there is a good fire going. I only use the airwash when the fire is going to let in a SMALL amount of air. I dont keep the airwash fully open, close it about 1/2 to 3/4 way.

However each stove will be different depending on the draw of the chimney and fuel that you're using. I am burning briquettes.

Did the installer insulate around the sides of the inset within the fireplace?

i got onto dimplex, they put me in touch with the services guy, he had a few questions for my brother as regards installation and says he thinks its installed correctly, He said he could call out to me and charge me €80 but feels it would be throwing good money after bad. Said he has alot of people not satisfied with this stove. They just dont throw out the heat.
    my sittin from is 12 x 10 tiny. Little or no head comes out the vents. Baffle plate is correct. I have contacted my supplier now and they are dealin with dimplex. I want my money back, i dont even light it anymore as its a waste of fuel and time. Very disapointed. Wanted this for xmas.
    I am going to go for a stand alone lost faith now in the inset.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Hi,
    Looking for some quick advice on stoves.
    We had one installed last year, we got chimney cleaned just after we got it in. We got chimney cleaned again a few weeks ago and the sweep had to get up on roof. The stove has been very smoky since. There is a 'chinaman hat' on the Chimney Cowl / Guard and this is much lower down than it was before. Would this have any effect on it, does it need to be brought back up a little?
    Also should we have an air vent installed in the room with stove in. I open the windows whenever I am lighting the stove and for a while after. But cant really leave them open for long at this time of year.
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

i got onto dimplex, they put me in touch with the services guy, he had a few questions for my brother as regards installation and says he thinks its installed correctly, He said he could call out to me and charge me €80 but feels it would be throwing good money after bad. Said he has alot of people not satisfied with this stove. They just dont throw out the heat.
    my sittin from is 12 x 10 tiny. Little or no head comes out the vents. Baffle plate is correct. I have contacted my supplier now and they are dealin with dimplex. I want my money back, i dont even light it anymore as its a waste of fuel and time. Very disapointed. Wanted this for xmas.
    I am going to go for a stand alone lost faith now in the inset.

This stove is tested in factory conditions and certified to give out 4kw of heat so the supplier\manufacturer will be covered
    4kw to a well insulated and sealed room is fine but to a room with poor insulation and draughty doors and windows is too low.
    Try burning some kiln dried ash as this gives maximum output in a stove and you cannot be sure what type of coal you are using as most suppliers dont know what they are selling and if it is suitable for stoves
    Problem is not with the stove itself as it will give 4kw, problem is usually the fuel or installation or operation. Leave both air controls open for maximum output and burn good dry fuel as hot as possible with a good flame going for half an hour and you will get plenty of heat in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

Big Vern wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for some quick advice on stoves.
    We had one installed last year, we got chimney cleaned just after we got it in. We got chimney cleaned again a few weeks ago and the sweep had to get up on roof. The stove has been very smoky since. There is a 'chinaman hat' on the Chimney Cowl / Guard and this is much lower down than it was before. Would this have any effect on it, does it need to be brought back up a little?
    Also should we have an air vent installed in the room with stove in. I open the windows whenever I am lighting the stove and for a while after. But cant really leave them open for long at this time of year.
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

Get the sweep back to raise up the cowl as this is blocking your draught, get him to check inside the back\top\baffle of the stove also to make sure it is all clear
    Never get him back again after this as any sweep who blocks up a chimney with a cowl fitted too low is a cowboy and probably not cleaning the chimney properly anyway.
    If stove is greater than 5kw output then an air vent should be fitted in the room. If you need to open the window to get the stove to light then you need an air vent anyway regardless of the output of the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chesty04

Stove Fan wrote: »
    To have a freestanding stove in the fireplace like in the photo, you would have to have the marble suffound and fireback removed/knocked out. Depending on the age of the house the flue gatherer/support would need to be removed and a new one installed higher. This isn't a simple job as the flue gather supports the clay flue liners and the dry sand/cement backfill.

If the house is oldish it wouldn't have a flue gatherer, Have a look up the chimney, if you see a flatish base with a circular exit then it has one, if not and you just see brick/stone all the way up it's a more simple job to enlarge the fireplace.

It might be a better/cheaper option to go for an inset stove?

Stove Fan.

Hi Stovefan...

I've just bought a stove with the intention of fitting it in a fireplace very like the one shown in the photo from c_ashelmore...thought I just needed to stick the flexi flue up through the flue gatherer and chimney flue and then fireseal around it...why are you recommending removing the marble surround and fireback?? U got me worried now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Devrobia wrote: »
    Hi all...Does anybody know much about this stove and could they give me some info on it and is it any good. Thanks a million, it's a Yola 17kw Inset Boiler. Here's the link

http://yolastoves.wordpress.com/17kw-inset-boiler/[/QUOTE]

We have this stove installed with the past month and we're really happy with it. It has a fine large firebox and nice size window. We have a large double rad in the same room which we always need to leave on with it. Our room roughly 16 x 12 We have 5 other large single rads and a large double, these rads get really hot once a good fire is down and we have plenty hot water also. I took a long time to decide on a stove and I m really happy with this. Price 1,575 euro.

Advertisement