Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

any idea on a rough price, on stove + all plumbing work etc, stove to heat rads and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caher123

k123456 wrote: »
    Difficult to give you a price, as as was part of plumbing upgrade
    but we have 5 zones, all heated by the stove
    most of the time, we only have 1 or 2 zone in use, so great energy saver

In practice, we fire up the stove, it heats one large room, approx 6 big rads there, and HW

on hour or so before hitting the hay, heats up a third zone, (50% of the bed rooms)

Hi,

Just wondering how does the zoning with your stove work? Is it on an electronic controller or manual valves? Is there a safety override in case one zone over heats or is it not possible for all zones to be all off at the same time?

Also when you upgraded your plumbing was there much involved in setting up the zones?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How much is a zoned heating system as a matter of interest?

You have very few options zoning when it comes to solid fuel as there should always be an open circuit. You say you have a big system but 9 radiators on a system isn't big at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Caher123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering how does the zoning with your stove work? Is it on an electronic controller or manual valves? Is there a safety override in case one zone over heats or is it not possible for all zones to be all off at the same time?

Also when you upgraded your plumbing was there much involved in setting up the zones?

Thanks

All set up by plumber, think the "systemlink" is the hub of the system

we have five zones, three would suffice , ie upstairs , downstairs and hw
    winter : Stove used 95% of time, gas 5%
    after 30 mins , the water jacket around the stoves heats up, and the default zone auto kicks in, our our case default is the living kitchen (stove Boru boiler stove carraig mor)

We can of course switch on the other zones, on, timer-activated or a boost (1hr, 2hr, 3 hr)

outside winter, gas boiler, connected to five zone, used for hw, can be timed, boost etc,

Re safety, once the stove heats up, the hot water, must go somewhere, that is the job of the default zone

When one zone heats up, another zone kicks in

All set up by plumber, think the "systemlink" is the hub of the system

we have five zones, three would suffice , ie upstairs , downstairs and hw
    winter : Stove used 95% of time, gas 5%
    after 30 mins , the water jacket around the stoves heats up, and the default zone auto kicks in, our our case default is the living kitchen (stove Boru boiler stove carraig mor)

We can of course switch on the other zones, on, timer-activated or a boost (1hr, 2hr, 3 hr)

outside winter, gas boiler, connected to five zone, used for hw, can be timed, boost etc,

Re safety, once the stove heats up, the hot water, must go somewhere, that is the job of the default zone

When one zone heats up, another zone kicks in

What happens if the zones don't open ?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What happens if the zones don't open ?

One zone, the default will always open, once the stove heats up. The stove water heats, there is some kinda thermo on /off switch linked to the pipes
    behind stove

One zone, the default will always open, once the stove heats up. The stove water heats, there is some kinda thermo on /off switch linked to the pipes
    behind stove

This default zone, is it always open or will it always open? As in is there a pump or valve on the default circuit?

This default zone, is it always open or will it always open? As in is there a pump or valve on the default circuit?

It will always open (when the stove is lit , approx 30 mins later, the heat builds up, and the zone opens) , the default zone, can be any zone, you prefer , when the plumber installs. Ours is the main living room, the norm according to plumber is HW zone

It will always open (when the stove is lit , approx 30 mins later, the heat builds up, and the zone opens) , the default zone, can be any zone, you prefer , when the plumber installs. Ours is the main living room, the norm according to plumber is HW zone

So a motorised valve opens then is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I know I posted here before- we were delayed in getting our stove but was since recommended pierce stoves. anyone come across them? Just a general opinion, found a fella that does them at a great price and hoping to get fireplace with it for under €2.5k.

• Advertisement

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    I know I posted here before- we were delayed in getting our stove but was since recommended pierce stoves. anyone come across them? Just a general opinion, found a fella that does them at a great price and hoping to get fireplace with it for under €2.5k.

is that price including installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

dm1979 wrote: »
    is that price including installation?

Yes of stove and fireplace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

We got a stove fitted in Sept, it's zoned as upstairs & down, hot water & under floor. My problem the last two weeks is it's heating the water to 50 and then you can hear the stove gurgelling. I will have to go into the hotpress and turn the stat down and then it will move to whichever valve is open.

Is there something wrong with the stat or something else. I have the plumber coming on Saturday as he's putting in a new systemlink so want to have an answer for him when he comes. He says this is normal? I don't?

RubyGirl wrote: »
    We got a stove fitted in Sept, it's zoned as upstairs & down, hot water & under floor. My problem the last two weeks is it's heating the water to 50 and then you can hear the stove gurgelling. I will have to go into the hotpress and turn the stat down and then it will move to whichever valve is open.

Is there something wrong with the stat or something else. I have the plumber coming on Saturday as he's putting in a new systemlink so want to have an answer for him when he comes. He says this is normal? I don't?

sorry but do you mind telling me how much you paid for the lot, stove + insulation, were thinking of having one put in but cant find a roundabout figure of costs anywhere. many thanks

dm1979 wrote: »
    sorry but do you mind telling me how much you paid for the lot, stove + insulation, were thinking of having one put in but cant find a roundabout figure of costs anywhere. many thanks

Stratford EB16 €1650, plumber 550, supplies 700 & electrician 80. I had all the pipework there as I had an open fire with a back boiler in it.

How is your hot water zoned from your stove?

How is your hot water zoned from your stove?

Dont get to technical with me, prob wont answer your question correctly. The stove heats the hot water and then to whichever valve I have open.

Dont get to technical with me, prob wont answer your question correctly. The stove heats the hot water and then to whichever valve I have open.

And what if no zone is open?

And what if no zone is open?

I would assume it would heat the water and then start making noise in the pipes.

I would assume it would heat the water and then start making noise in the pipes.

It wouldn't just heat the water, it would boil it. There should always be an open zone

• Advertisement

It wouldn't just heat the water, it would boil it. There should always be an open zone

Yes I know that and that was my question, it's not going to the open valve its hopping when the water is heated.

Yes I know that and that was my question, it's not going to the open valve its hopping when the water is heated.

And what I'm saying is that there shouldn't be a valve. Is yiur pump gone or maybe the stat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Olong

Hi there, we would like to install a wood burning stove in our new extension...some of the walls are all glass floor to ceiling. Could you tell me how far from triple glazed glass can you have a stove and what type of stove would you recommend in this situation.

Thanks!

many thanks RUBYGIRL!

And what I'm saying is that there shouldn't be a valve. Is yiur pump gone or maybe the stat?

Stat I'm thinking, is'nt kicking in properly.

Stat I'm thinking, is'nt kicking in properly.

Is the stat controlling a pump or a motorised valve?

Is the stat controlling a pump or a motorised valve?

Not sure I think it's a pump.

Not sure I think it's a pump.

Would you mind showing a few pics of the Hotpress?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I am currently in the market for a stove and just plan on plonking it on the hearth of the open fire and putting the flue up the chimney.

Does the flue from the stove need to go all the way up the chimney or just a bit of the way up?

I was under the impression that the whole chimney had to be linedto the top, but the shop/installer said that it doesent.

Some clarification would be much appreciated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

TheChevron wrote: »
    I am currently in the market for a stove and just plan on plonking it on the hearth of the open fire and putting the flue up the chimney.

Does the flue from the stove need to go all the way up the chimney or just a bit of the way up?

I was under the impression that the whole chimney had to be linedto the top, but the shop/installer said that it doesent.

Some clarification would be much appreciated?
    Mine certainly was - and sealed top and bottom with vermiculite. My sister was told that her entire three-storey chimney would have to be lined with liner AND vermiculite - needless to say that didn't happen :eek: (nor did the stove, in the end).

Think it might depend on the age/condition of the chimney flue though - mine is over 100 years old so there was never any question of it not needing to be lined.

Advertisement