Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys were having a boiler stove installed and we got a quote from the plumber, labour only 3500 euro that included stove installation and heat genie only. all other works to be completed by a builder. meaning all demo and reconstruction of the fire place area, what do you guys think of this price about right? or extortion thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Hi folks,

After some research we are looking at fitting a Henley Apollo 5kW inset into our existing fireplace.
    A lot of the inset type stoves claim it's an easy DIY fit. But Henley don't. Now obviously they don't want any comeback for improperly fitted units. But if it was fitted by a competent person, whilst paying attention to the safety risk, properly sealing around the insert etc. Surely this would be ok.

Our house is a few years old, chimney is in good condition. Room is ventilated and I would fit a CO alarm.

Other units have a rope seal around the edge, a blot into the base of the unit and a clamp that holds against the inside of the chimney lintel. Is the Apollo fitted the same way?

Edit:
    Looks like the Apollo needs the fireback to be removed, so that's not going to be an option. Back to the drawing board !

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Edit:
    Looks like the Apollo needs the fireback to be removed, so that's not going to be an option. Back to the drawing board !

Popping out the fireback is the easiest part of fitting a stove.

Obviously there may be reasons why you don't want to in your house.
    I presume there is? Otherwise I defo wouldn't look at fitting the stove yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I don't want to remove the fireback as we plan to sell up and build a house in a few years. So I want to be able to put it back to a regular open fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't want to remove the fireback as we plan to sell up and build a house in a few years. So I want to be able to put it back to a regular open fireplace.

Do you not think a stove would add value compared to an open fireplace?

It certainly would if I was the buyer!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

hello folks,

I have a big old aarow stove with was using the top exit for the flue.
    I now want to use the back opening where there is a plate to remove for it.
    BUT....there are no screws or visible slots or crevices to insert a lever to remove this. Also from the inside there is nothing.

Anyone have one of these stoves?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

The newer aarrow stove plates and spigots remove by turning them ,
    Might be fire cement but its simple turn 90 degrees and align tongues with slots and should pop off...with little hammer and chisel to get it to turn..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

buppydogs wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm looking for recommendations on a 20kw boiler stove please.
    I've seen the Henley, Hota, Boru and Hunter stoves - has anyone experience of any of these?
    Thank you

limerick/cork area.
    thanks

I was in the market for similar to what you want. I narrowed it down to a stratford Eb16 (which is 20+kw in total, 16 to water plus 3-9 to room), Yola 20kw and a Hunter Herald. The Stratford was the most expensive of the 3 at close to 2k but I went for the Yola on the recommendation of my plumber who really liked the design and liked the fact that there was a boiler chamber across the top of the firebox and the baffle was also made of thicker steel. Quite a big firebox in it so be prepared to burn fuel but the old adage you will see quoted many times on this thread is: fuel = heat and that seems to be the case no matter what machine you buy....

If i was looking again,I would throw Inish into the mix but I didnt fancy the additional hassle of the double door (2 fire ropes, 2 bordered glasses to be cleaned, 2 that can be broken etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Hi, I'm installing an Inis Bofin solid fuel insert stove next week and what i'd like to know is this, I have an 8" flue in the chimney and do i need to go far up the chimney with the pipe from the stove and also do i need to seal round the pipe.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

arandale wrote: »
    Hi, I'm installing an Inis Bofin solid fuel insert stove next week and what i'd like to know is this, I have an 8" flue in the chimney and do i need to go far up the chimney with the pipe from the stove and also do i need to seal round the pipe.

Many thanks in advance.

There is more to fitting a stove than that.
    With those questions please get a professional to fit it for you.
    There is safety (life) risks for you
    plus badly fitted stoves dont give out heat - for example have a read of recent threads on this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

How long would it take most people's stoves to start chucking out heat?

Is there much difference in time between free standing v insert?

Would many leave it burning all night? I'd be a bit wary (with no good reason really), so just wondering if you come down in morning to freezing kitchen/diner how long before it heats up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

kennyb3 wrote: »

Would many leave it burning all night? I'd be a bit wary (with no good reason really), so just wondering if you come down in morning to freezing kitchen/diner how long before it heats up?

I can only talk about insert (Henley Achill). In hour is in near to full output and has the room over 20 degrees. This is using wood.

I’ve gone to bed few times with the stove still burning. The morning after stove is still warm and has the room reasonable warm (around 17 in comparison to the hall/kicthen which drops to 12/11 degrees).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i got a bag of that kiln dried hardwood for the stove for the first time, trying it out this evening, is this long burning and does it give better heat than the softwoods

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

kennyb3 wrote: »

I have a freestanding stanley aoife in my kitchen /diner & a large bedroom & bathroom off that like a L shape . The house is never cold in the morning. Stive takes an hour to to throw out full heat . After that time it get very hot . I use a little over a half bucket of ecobrite stove coal a day & about two blocks & it's lighting when I go to bed at 11.30. Best money ever spent & my gas bills are about half of what they were & house was never as hot as it is now. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Stove not heating room well!!

We have had a Hunter Herald 8 flat top installed over 5 years but as we didn't live in the house the first couple of years ourselves we didn't realise how badly it performs (if we did we would have asked shop/installers to come back out to have a look at it and we can't now as the shop is gone).

The draft is generally good but you could keep holding your hand on the top of it without burning your hand and the heat output is minimal even with a blazing fire. It is not connected to radiators but should be warming the room only.
    Sometimes it also lets out smoke when we open the door to put in more timber or nuggets.

Do you think that it is not installed properly, or is it a really bad stove that we would be better off trying to change for another model?

We have a much cheaper and smaller Chinese make stove in another room in the house which is soooo much better as the heat output is very good and the stove itself heats up really well (compared to the hunter stove that I could sit on top of without burning!).

Any ideas of how to fix this, or have other people had similar experiences with this stove?

PS. we have had to change the throat plate as the original one broke, and replaced it with a metal plate

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bought the Henley Cambridge there last week. Was looking to get a plumber to put it in but will be waiting 6 weeks at least it seems from ringing around.
    No back boiler so will be a straightforward install.
    Really looking forward to the heat out if, have a very large fire op at the minute and its sucking heat up no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyone got any of the Thorma stoves? would love to hear reviews on them

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Had our room heater stove installed last week. Flue goes straight up and out through single storey roof, turns 45 degrees back to existing second storey wall, another 45 turn and up over gutter (pitched roof) by about 60cm.

All working great unless it's windy, when smoke gets driven out the vents of the stove and also appears to be coming out of twin wall flue at the join between single wall flue and the twin wall flue near the ceiling. This is a bit worrying as it fills the room with smoke and i had to let the stove go out. I have a vent in the room. Stove is pretty much unusable in this state.

Is this a cowl issue? Wrong flue routing? Any ideas what might be causing this? I have called the installer this evening and wait patiently for his return visit (was waiting over a month for installation anyway!)

Any opinions appreciated
    Sumo

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boy4

doing some renovations after christmas looking to put in a stove the room size is around 7 met by 4 met with a kitchen of that size 4 met by 4met want to heat 12 radiators aswell the wall the stove will be going on has no chimney could i bring the flue straight up the wall and out through the roof save me having to build a chimney what stove would you recommend your knowledge would be appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Another question from me. Anyone know what has to be done to the back of the fireplace when going for a look like this

http://www.lamartine-fireplaces.com/lamartinefireplaces/Main/Stove_Waterford_Oscar.htm

Is it vermiculite board you'd need to ensure is installed or what is it called (remember it being called something beginning with S too)?

Also how safe is it to be painted behind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Hi every one, i bought riva 55 stove it says wood burning on the box got installed by professional last week , with metal flue liner . but i can hear wind noise from the stove. When i lit the fire on open the primary air inlet it blaze fire so fast and look like it will explode its like cooking fire with huge noise. also when i open to put some more wood some ash always fly in house .
    Lastly can i use coal in this fire place??
    Also glass is gone black even burning dry wood?
    Any help will be appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Duffy99

I have just moved house and I now have a stove. I noticed tonight inside the stove is a piece of loose metal which is held in place at the back of the stove it is like a flame guard it is sort of curved forward from the back when it is in place.......... as it sort of stops flame reaching the top of the stove can some one tell me is this normal. I was able to move it and could have taken it out when I was cleaning the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Duffy99 wrote: »
    I have just moved house and I now have a stove. I noticed tonight inside the stove is a piece of loose metal which is held in place at the back of the stove it is like a flame guard it is sort of curved forward from the back when it is in place.......... as it sort of stops flame reaching the top of the stove can some one tell me is this normal. I was able to move it and could have taken it out when I was cleaning the fire
    It sounds like its the baffle which is removable for cleaning purposes.
    It must go back in the correct place.
    What make and model of stove is it as there are hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Duffy99

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It sounds like its the baffle which is removable for cleaning purposes.
    It must go back in the correct place.
    What make and model of stove is it as there are hundreds.

There is no name on the stove sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Duffy99 wrote: »
    There is no name on the stove sorry.

Can you take pics of it inside and out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

beatle wrote: »
    Stove not heating room well!!

We have had a Hunter Herald 8 flat top installed over 5 years but as we didn't live in the house the first couple of years ourselves we didn't realise how badly it performs (if we did we would have asked shop/installers to come back out to have a look at it and we can't now as the shop is gone).

The draft is generally good but you could keep holding your hand on the top of it without burning your hand and the heat output is minimal even with a blazing fire. It is not connected to radiators but should be warming the room only.
    Sometimes it also lets out smoke when we open the door to put in more timber or nuggets.

Do you think that it is not installed properly, or is it a really bad stove that we would be better off trying to change for another model?

We have a much cheaper and smaller Chinese make stove in another room in the house which is soooo much better as the heat output is very good and the stove itself heats up really well (compared to the hunter stove that I could sit on top of without burning!).

Any ideas of how to fix this, or have other people had similar experiences with this stove?

PS. we have had to change the throat plate as the original one broke, and replaced it with a metal plate

Whats the Draw like ? Open the door on the cold stove slightly. Only slightly and light a match and hold to the gap at the door. If the flame is sucked in then there is a draw and if blown out then there isn't.

What kind of timber are you burning ? Is it seasoned?

When burning solid fuels, are you opening the bottom air supply ? What type of stove is it ?

Whats the Draw like ? Open the door on the cold stove slightly. Only slightly and light a match and hold to the gap at the door. If the flame is sucked in then there is a draw and if blown out then there isn't.

What kind of timber are you burning ? Is it seasoned?

When burning solid fuels, are you opening the bottom air supply ? What type of stove is it ?

The draw is generally good. If I open the doors very slowly no or very little smoke comes out. The main issue I ahve with the stove is really that the heat output is so small.
    We burn seasoned timber and also brickets or nuggets. The thing is, we have a second stove (different make, can't remember name but it was much cheaper and smaller) which we use in the very same way and burn the same material, and that stove gives off great heat. I have just got a number for a stove installer so will give him/her a ring and see if he/she can have a look at it and figure it out. I will report back if/when we get a solution to this problem. I have left it for too long already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hi guys,

I'm looking at putting a stove in my sitting room (17 feet x 10 feet). I was looking at a few today. Would a 6kw stove be enough?

The 8kw and 10kw stoves look a bit big for the room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Hi guys,

I'm looking at putting a stove in my sitting room (17 feet x 10 feet). I was looking at a few today. Would a 6kw stove be enough?

Any advice guys?

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

6kw would be enough. That's what we have in one room which is only slightly bigger than yours, and it is great for heating that room. As you may see from my other posts, however, not all stoves are good, or perhaps, not all stoves perform well (possibly due to installation issues?).

I would go for a 6kw stove, but read reviews online for the models that you are considering, and get an installer with a good reputation.

Advertisement