Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Hi

Looking for a recommendation for a good double sided stove, probably inset,
    10 - 12kw that wont break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Mine certainly was - and sealed top and bottom with vermiculite. My sister was told that her entire three-storey chimney would have to be lined with liner AND vermiculite - needless to say that didn't happen :eek: (nor did the stove, in the end).

Think it might depend on the age/condition of the chimney flue though - mine is over 100 years old so there was never any question of it not needing to be lined.

My house is 5 years old. Well insulated. I would assume that the flue is in decent condition.

I was just looking for some general opinions on whether the flue should be lined to the top or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 liam1987

so if i have a question regarding stoves where should i be posting it

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

TheChevron wrote: »
    My house is 5 years old. Well insulated. I would assume that the flue is in decent condition.

I was just looking for some general opinions on whether the flue should be lined to the top or not.

AFAIK the old position was that for a stove of 5kw or less it was not necessary to line once everything was in good condition.
    I think HETAS regs would now say that you should always line to the top.

Speaking to some fitters they were of the opinion that for less than 5kw still no need to line once a visual inspection shows that all is in order.
    (This is just my experiences to date - I am not in the trade)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 buppydogs

Hi All,
    I'm looking for recommendations on a 20kw boiler stove please.
    I've seen the Henley, Hota, Boru and Hunter stoves - has anyone experience of any of these?
    Thank you

limerick/cork area.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

buppydogs wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I've seen the Henley, Hota, Boru and Hunter stoves - has anyone experience of any of these?
    Thank you

limerick/cork area.
    thanks

Ive the Boru Carraig Mor, happy with it heat wise, although the glass needs daily cleaning even with the top vent (airwash) open)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭galway1973

Hi
    I am looking for an insert stove to heat sitting room 18 x12 with bay windows and a window either side of the fireplace. It also has a door to hall and double doors to the kitchen which are open most of the time. I was looking at the boru range of stoves. Can anyone recommend or give me some advice on anything?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

buppydogs wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Thank you

limerick/cork area.
    thanks

Stratford eco-boiler 20HE is meant to be the most efficient. €1850

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

galway1973 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking for an insert stove to heat sitting room 18 x12 with bay windows and a window either side of the fireplace. It also has a door to hall and double doors to the kitchen which are open most of the time. I was looking at the boru range of stoves. Can anyone recommend or give me some advice on anything?
    Thanks

Pretty much describes my sitting room, we fitted a boru 400i looks pretty, heats the room and more very easily only in since September but atm we love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Any recommend a decent digital room thermometer to see what temperature my stove gets my room too.

Any one else use one or have any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

k123456 wrote: »
    Ive the Boru Carraig Mor, happy with it heat wise, although the glass needs daily cleaning even with the top vent (airwash) open)
    I've the same stove on it's 3rd winter. What are you burning in yours I use coal and spruce timber and it only barely blackens the glass. The best way to clean the glass is a damp rag dipped in ashes.

A few threads on here with boru stove scare stories but mine works fine so I can't verify them.

My house is 27 years old and I've 2 stoves and the chimney isn't lined.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I've the same stove on it's 3rd winter. What are you burning in yours I use coal and spruce timber and it only barely blackens the glass. The best way to clean the glass is a damp rag dipped in ashes.

A few threads on here with boru stove scare stories but mine works fine so I can't verify them.

Hi Sam

The glass gets smoky residue, its not black, and you can see thru it, but not as clear of course as clean glass. using very well dried softwood , spruce etc

I notice that the deposits occur overnight, and not while the stove is running fully

I have three controls bottom circular one at 3
    sliding vent , open to get the fire going, then 30 mins later I close this
    the top slider, airwash, generally leave open or half open

when hitting the hay, i open both sliders fully

I wonder am I using the controls incorrectly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I have now been told that the canopy on my fire is too low 530mm, and that the lowest stove the stock is 550mm high, so the fitter can not install the stove?

Is there any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have now been told that the canopy on my fire is too low 530mm, and that the lowest stove the stock is 550mm high, so the fitter can not install the stove?

Is there any way around this?

Can you chop a bit off the canopy?

I thought I was facing this when I put my stove in - the canopy itself was just high enough but there are two bits on either side that come down and they were talking about cutting them off - but in the end the stove just sits in front of the lot, which is fine (I thought the stove would be too far out into the room like this until I saw it).

Or could you remove the canopy and fit another, shallower one, or just tidy up the mantlepiece without the canopy?

Or shop around for lower stoves? My sister was in the market for a very shallow stove and there were some tiny ones out there (not so sure how good or bad they were), there might be some which are squatter than the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

80s Child wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My dad just bought the Contura i4 for a room 5m × 6m x 2.4m

Our room is 8m x 4.5m x 2.4m. From the calculators it says that we need 4.5kw stove.

What would you recommend?

Budget: €1000 - €1500.

Thanks

Following on from this, we went to look at a few this evening and we liked the one of the Inis stoves, InisBofin to be exact.

Has anyone got any experiences/opinions on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Following on from this, we went to look at a few this evening and we liked the one of the Inis stoves, InisBofin to be exact.

I've had an Inis Airc (5KW freestanding) for a year now, and couldn't be happier. Works like a dream, looks good, and has saved me a small fortune in gas.

Not sure if that's any help to you as you're looking at an insert, but just thought I'd put it out there.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've had an Inis Airc (5KW freestanding) for a year now, and couldn't be happier. Works like a dream, looks good, and has saved me a small fortune in gas.

Not sure if that's any help to you as you're looking at an insert, but just thought I'd put it out there.

Cheers Heidi

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I have one. One of the best purchases I ever made tbh

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I have one. One of the best purchases I ever made tbh

Cheers Rarnes.

Ya, the prognosis seems to be good. Happy days!

• Advertisement

Hi Sam

The glass gets smoky residue, its not black, and you can see thru it, but not as clear of course as clean glass. using very well dried softwood , spruce etc

I notice that the deposits occur overnight, and not while the stove is running fully

I have three controls bottom circular one at 3
    sliding vent , open to get the fire going, then 30 mins later I close this
    the top slider, airwash, generally leave open or half open

when hitting the hay, i open both sliders fully

I wonder am I using the controls incorrectly ?
    Mine also gets that smoky residue it could be the sap from the spruce. I turn the dial in my stove up to 8 which is the highest setting then if it gets too hot i turn it down to 4.

Can anyone recommend a decent wood moisture metre, please,

Lots avail from China on ebay,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Trying to decide on an 8KW stand alone stove and at the moment and we are looking at the Boru Carraig Beag and the Hamco Ennell stove. Trying to weigh up whether to go for Steel or Cast Iron. Any one any opinions on the above two stoves or any alternative 8KW stoves ?

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Can anyone recommend a decent wood moisture metre, please,

Lots avail from China on ebay,

Thanks

I have an Arada meter working ok, you can check it out at arada.uk.com cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I hope this is the best place to post this.

I am looking to get a stove installed in my sitting room. The main difficluty been that I live in a mid terrace house and since it is a new build, there is no chimney installed.

Anybody have an idea of the cost involvded for installing a flue and stove in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I hope this is the best place to post this.

I am looking to get a stove installed in my sitting room. The main difficluty been that I live in a mid terrace house and since it is a new build, there is no chimney installed.

Anybody have an idea of the cost involvded for installing a flue and stove in this scenario?

The cost of fitting including flue without stove
    Could cost in the region of €1500
    As the flue alone would be in the €1000 mark
    That would be a dry stove (room heater)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Would you mind showing a few pics of the Hotpress?

5kr1hh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bringastick

Hi All,
    Wondering if anyone has experience of Yeoman Devon or Stovax Stockton 8?? Looking for something with roughly 8kw output. Have narrowed it down to these two, already have a stovax Riva insert in another room and love it! Stoves make Yeoman also I think? Just wondering if anyone has comments for or against..? Pricewise the Stovax Stockton 8 is coming in €20 cheaper so very little in it! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bringastick

Hi All,
    Wondering if anyone has experience of Yeoman Devon or Stovax Stockton 8?? Looking for something with roughly 8kw output. Have narrowed it down to these two, already have a stovax Riva insert in another room and love it! Stoves make Yeoman also I think? Just wondering if anyone has comments for or against..? Pricewise the Stovax Stockton 8 is coming in €20 cheaper so very little in it! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

Hi guys, looking to install a 30kw boiler stove (Henley druid) house has roughly 30 rads and is 300 m2.

Stove would be 2-3 meters from existing oil boiler through one exterior wall. System is open, cold water tank and immersion are a small distance (roughly 15m).

I'm finding it difficult to get prices for fitting. Alot of plumbers just won't call out when they say they will. First guy wanted 2800 excluding the stove, second guy wanted 6000 including buffer tank but no stove. I think these are abit on the pricey side.

Any recommendations or advice would be really appreciated.

Advertisement