Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Might have just convinced my better half to start this soon. Huzzah! New thread perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

You had me hooked on the last so I'll sub to the next too :P

Not got to play in the last few days. Hopefully get some time tonight.

For Rikku being one shotted, thats normal at the start. The easiest way to counter this is to have her at the beginning of each battle for a short while. She's pretty quick so quite often can get a steal in and get a second turn before mobs get their first. That way you can steal and get out without danger. It doesn't take long to get her out of that danger zone though.

I'm still torn as to what to do with Kimahri. He's at a point where I can send him into another sphere grid area. I had him going the direction of Rikku for more steals but now that I have that, I kinda want to send him elsewhere. I had thought downs Aurons path but can't get there very easily so now I'm thinking Lulus for a second high damage caster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    Might have just convinced my better half to start this soon. Huzzah! New thread perhaps?

I'd like to see how they get on with this one. It's not the cakewalk FFVII is. If you aren't overlevelling you really need your tactics to beat some bosses, Seymour in the mountains was a total nightmare for me. I never had to even bother with stat buffs in previous FF games but FFX was on par with SMT for the tactics needed for the later bosses.

Edit: BTW does this one have the advanced sphere grid? Would love to give the game a go with that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Edit: BTW does this one have the advanced sphere grid? Would love to give the game a go with that.

Has the option at the start yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Noxin wrote: »
    You had me hooked on the last so I'll sub to the next too :P

Not got to play in the last few days. Hopefully get some time tonight.

For Rikku being one shotted, thats normal at the start. The easiest way to counter this is to have her at the beginning of each battle for a short while. She's pretty quick so quite often can get a steal in and get a second turn before mobs get their first. That way you can steal and get out without danger. It doesn't take long to get her out of that danger zone though.

I'm still torn as to what to do with Kimahri. He's at a point where I can send him into another sphere grid area. I had him going the direction of Rikku for more steals but now that I have that, I kinda want to send him elsewhere. I had thought downs Aurons path but can't get there very easily so now I'm thinking Lulus for a second high damage caster.

You'll get teleport spheres at some point in the nearish future so I'd advise against tracking back or going totally out of your way. I always try to keep Kimhari in the Tidus/Auron region myself thou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd like to see how they get on with this one. It's not the cakewalk FFVII is. If you aren't overlevelling you really need your tactics to beat some bosses, Seymour in the mountains was a total nightmare for me. I never had to even bother with stat buffs in previous FF games but FFX was on par with SMT for the tactics needed for the later bosses.

Took me ages the first time. Had to grind to collect a load of gil and buy a load of holy waters to customise the armor for zombie-resistant or whatever it was called.

Can't wait to play it again. It's probably my favorite game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My tactic was to alternate using shell and protect. He was one shotting me in his final form but with those on I could survive.

When the hell have shell and protect ever been useful in a FF before! :) It was probably the first time the main series was properly challenging since FFIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

This time round I'm using the stat stacking buffs "cheer" and "focus" etc, for longer battles and bosses.
    They really pay for themselves, especially in boss battles, you can theoretically keep casting them until you're completely invincible.

My restriction is "no grinding".
    I love how cut throat the fights are, you either one hit kill something or it almost one hit kills you; Ambushes are lethal.
    On the road outside Luca, I was ambushed by a group of fairly ordinary fiends, one of them confused Tidus, who begun murdering his teammates. In the end I tagged in Yuna and had Valefor and sort them out.

The fights have a nice bite to them, and it forces you to play by the rules to make it easy, because if you don't you can very quickly find yourself looking at a game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Also Valefor; I love Valefor as a summon, did you know only certain monsters can actually attack her?

Enimes who don't have long range attacks or magic (lizards, wolves, monoliths etc) just helplessly stand there, and with her high evasion she evades as many attacks and she takes.

Makes you wonder how powerful her and Shiva could be if you decided to follow Lulu's route on the sphere grid (they would amplify the abundant evasion and magic).

My first play through, I sent Yuna down Auron's path as early as I could, and the likes of Ifrit became so unbelievably powerful. In subsequent playthroughs I'd use Rikku's for the initial large burst of HP spheres with some agility, before then moving on again to, Auron, Tidus or Wakka.
    but this time I'm going to try Lulu's, just to see if I can make Valefor (and possibly Shiva) my best mid-game summons. At this stage i know the system so well that going down the magic attack heavy route might be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Spoiler:
    I actually find the laughing scene completely hilarious; how the rest of the team think Yuna and Tidus have both gone nuts. In hindsight, it's very tragic when the truth is revealed and Tidus goes "all the things I said were really damn inapproriate". This game is full of those little ironies and touches. Another example I noticed was Auron waits outside the Farplane along with Rikku and appears to be in pain when a sending is happening nearby

The game is full of these little touches and subtleties that only hit you on the head later on.
    There are points when I stop and just watch the game and am stunned to think this was a remaster a 12 year old game. It's amazing what good art design that makes sense (for the world) is timeless and much more relatable than the animu, sci fi trope cluster**** that the XIII series was.

The only problems I have are the faces and the no option original soundtrack, but then I have the original anyways. A lot of the newer tracks seems to gone string mad like the XIII series is been forced on it in terms of sound and sheer unecessary noise. Why not just do re-record the original sounds with real instruments

For example this track was immersably better with the drums and propulsive beat, rising choir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Hardest part so far was having enough Ability Spheres. I ran out very quickly by the time I was at Kilika Temple. I was adamant that I wouldn't skip a single sphere so I decided to wait until I had an ability sphere before anyone could move forward.

By the time we left Luca, everyone was at a standstill and backed up with at least 4-6 spheres moves each to use. Lulu had 10. It wasn't until we encountered the Dual Horns towards the end of the Highroad that I was able to get an ability sphere. But then I kept overkilling them and they wouldn't drop the ability sphere. Eventually got one and taught Wakka Distill Ability straight away.. Since then I've been grabbing one per battle just in case.

Doesn't Yuna go past an extract ability sphere almost immediately? I always have it on her and use it when I'm short.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

What a game! So I just beat Seymour on Mt.Gagazet & about to enter Zanarkand for the 1st time in about 7 years. Going to be emotional.:(

Wanted to post some tips as i had this game mastered on PS2 & am en-route to Platinum on PS3!

Ability Spheres for me were very scarce at the same time as MitchKoobski said, Got distil ability & that was sorted but i found myself running out of mana spheres late in the game so get Kimahri to learn that distil.

I also have all the Al-Bhed primers collected, the ONLY ones missable are the 3 in the Al-Bhed home & 1 before the Cloister of trials in Beville. Every other thing in this game can be returned to later & completed.

As for Kimahri, i got him to jump into Rikku's grid to learn Steal as when you're fighting Biran & Yenke on Mt.Gagazet you can Steal up to five lvl 3 unlock spheres from them. Very handy and The only ones I've managed to get so far!

Also, anyone that wants the Platinum, there is one VERY HARD & absolutely F**king annoying bronze trophy.

"Win a race with a catcher chocobo with a total time of 0:0:0"

Now, I've many hard Platinums & believe I'm capable of almost any challenge in gaming but i honestly thought it was beyond me to get this when I first tried it. I was racing continuously for about 2 hours and best i could do was 15 sec's. I was heartbroken thinking this could stop my Platinum but then i started using the Directional buttons to control the Chocobo & it was MUCH easier! Still very hard but i finally managed to do it! :D
    My stat's for achieving it were as follows:

Won race in 37 sec's, Got hit by 1 bird (plus 3 seconds) & collected 15 balloons (-3 seconds each). Won't ever have to do that Fcuking thing again! :)

Also, not sure if you guys know this, but it looks like the Gold trophy "Complete the Sphere Grids for all main characters" is bit misleading. Apparently we have to fill ALL the empty nodes on ALL characters Sphere Grids to unlock it. That means grinding the Monster Arena A LOT for the spheres to change them & move turns.

If you're using the expert Sphere Grid it's made easier as there's less nodes than the Standard but will still require a grind. None of that bothers me but thought I'd mention it in case others didn't know.

Once I get to free roam with the airship I'll be tackling the rest of the game to complete all the optional stuff, or at least make progress on it. So much Value in this game for €40. Those era's are truly gone & FFX is the last of the Greats.
    Hope any of that helps, i'll be sure to check back here to see the other tips people post & post more myself!

P.S Recruit "Brother" The Al-Bhed Airship pilot for Blitzball ASAP. He is a beast. I have him, tidus, Wakka, Rin (travel agency) & a few others mopping up games for me now! Love Blitzball! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I'm shuddering at the thought of the 200 lightning bolts. Was reading a thread on a different forum about trophies you would implement.

One sick individual proposed a trophy for dodging 199 bolts and then getting hit.

Also my go to must have blitzball recruit was Wedge up front along with Zev Ronso in midfield. They were the cornerstone of a team with such an impressive record,it would put the all blacks to shame.

Hardest part so far was having enough Ability Spheres. I ran out very quickly by the time I was at Kilika Temple. I was adamant that I wouldn't skip a single sphere so I decided to wait until I had an ability sphere before anyone could move forward.

I had this problem too but I just sat out and grinded for a while. Kept all ability spheres and used them on Wakka until he got extract ability. Once I did that I fought another 5 or 6 battles and used extract ability on each mob. Had about 15 then and it was enough. Shortly after, you get flooded with them.

I think I have 70+ now have not used extract ability since.

Beat Seymour & Wendigo last night. Seymour was alot easier than I remembered and Anima was a joke. It kept using boost. My melee was doing almost 2k damage so it was down in no time. It managed to use pain once on a character I think and no OD.
    Wendigo is one hard hitter though. Almost one shotting Auron and easily taking out anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Quick question re The dodge 200 lightning strikes trophy. Is it dodge 200 in a row or cumulative

In a row.... yes it is that horrible. and no you cannot save after x amount and continue later.

Noxin wrote: »
    In a row.... yes it is that horrible. and no you cannot save after x amount and continue later.

There is going to be a lot of blood sweat and tears when I go for it.

I find that now that I'm 12 years older than when I first played it, I'm using a lot more logic for bosses and the game feels a lot easier.

Just made it to Macalania Temple, but when I first played the game it took me nearly 30 minutes to defeat the Spherimorph boss in Macalania Woods. This time around I quickly realised that attacking him results in him countering with his current element. So I had him beat in about 5 turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Risteard wrote: »
    I'm shuddering at the thought of the 200 lightning bolts. Was reading a thread on a different forum about trophies you would implement.

One sick individual proposed a trophy for dodging 199 bolts and then getting hit.

Also my go to must have blitzball recruit was Wedge up front along with Zev Ronso in midfield. They were the cornerstone of a team with such an impressive record,it would put the all blacks to shame.

I replayed this 3 or 4 years ago and it's actually pretty easy.

It takes about half an hour or so and you need to be in a quiet dark room and completely focused.

It helps to keep track of the number. So stand next to a tower as a base and head back to it every 10 or so - allows you to get water, answer the door or whatever without getting distracted and also jot down what number you're on.

At the time you find it in the game the goodies you get for doing it are actually very powerful - a few health spheres and the likes.

• Advertisement

Does anybody have a good guide on who to grab before I get stuck in to playing Blitzball?

I can remember Wedge and Brother being two must haves, but the rest is just a blur. I'm gonna hold off until I have the airship, but I may as well hire people along the way if I run into them.

Does anybody have a good guide on who to grab before I get stuck in to playing Blitzball?

I can remember Wedge and Brother being two must haves, but the rest is just a blur. I'm gonna hold off until I have the airship, but I may as well hire people along the way if I run into them.

Brother - Al-Bhed Airship pilot.
    Nimrook - Al Bhed - Found on Airship
    Kelk Ronso - ???
    Rin - Al-Bhed airship
    Wakka
    tidus

That's my team so far & i know, i pretty much stole the talent from the Al-Bhed team! :D

Gbear wrote: »
    I replayed this 3 or 4 years ago and it's actually pretty easy.

It takes about half an hour or so and you need to be in a quiet dark room and completely focused.

It helps to keep track of the number. So stand next to a tower as a base and head back to it every 10 or so - allows you to get water, answer the door or whatever without getting distracted and also jot down what number you're on.

That sounds like a great Strategy! I also found this one on YT that looks a lot easier, havent tried it yet & was going to make a video myself and post it but i'll give credit to the original video that showed me it.

Right beside the 3rd Cactuar stone, there's a way to always make the lightning Strike in the exact same place everytime. So if you run a circle into the same area in a rhythm, you'll always know when to Hit X to dodge the Lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is this exclusive to Gamestop as far as B&M stores go here? Can't seem to find it anywhere else. Looking for it for the PS3.

How much is it on PSN?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Is this exclusive to Gamestop as far as B&M stores go here? Can't seem to find it anywhere else. Looking for it for the PS3.

How much is it on PSN?

39.99 on PSN for the two games. The download was 23 GB so you need decent interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

39.99 on PSN for the two games. The download was 23 GB so you need decent interweb.

Thanks.

Trying to get it as cheap as possible because I won't be able to play it that often so looks like I'll get it off the internet for ~€30.

Gamestop have it at €40 and can't find it anywhere else.

My girlfriend mentioned seeing it on Amazon for €24 but I never checked to verify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

The internet is definitely way cheaper than Gamestop. I was shocked to see how much they were selling it for.

Does anyone know offhand when you get your first lvl 3 unlock sphere. My google fu is failing me. Kimahri is at one and pifler gil is behind it. I don't want to move him on until I get one. I'm at the start of Macelina Woods.

• Advertisement

They should start showing up in chests and from some bosses in a bit. If you were lucky you may have gotten one from an overkill already, but I think you might be stuck until after Macalania.

Advertisement