Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X HD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Probably not as none of them were ported to PC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Really looking forward to playing X again, but I hated X-2. I know it's supposed to be a light hearted version, but ugh...didn't even get past the start bit where Yuna and co. were singing in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This seems to be a cheap option for the limited edition version: http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/final-fantasy-x/x-2-hd-remaster-limited-edition/10856117.html

Is the release date 27th December though?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Is the release date 27th December though?

March 18th in the US, maybe the 20th here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah ok, it actually says 31st March 2014 in the pre-order for the regular edition.

I can't wait for it, I loved FFX. I didn't really like the slant that FFX-2 took though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Here's the trophy list.

Dodge 200 Lightning Bolts, Obtain all Celestial Weapons, Defeat Penance.. Full 100% completion really. Looking forward to doing it all again!

Apparently there might be an FFX-3: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/

Sin might be coming back. Wonder if they'd continue the strand in FFX-2 where it was all a prequel to FFVII. Maybe Sin could be Jenova or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

snausages wrote: »
    Apparently there might be an FFX-3: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/

Sin might be coming back. Wonder if they'd continue the strand in FFX-2 where it was all a prequel to FFVII. Maybe Sin could be Jenova or something.

Wouldn't surprise me. Square Enix seem to a bit desperate for ideas these days.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Just gimme the HD, no need for X-3.

What is puzzling though is the refusal to remake 7. If they're willing to add in all this stuff because they need ideas for games, then Remaking 7 is probably like a winning lottery ticket to them. Of course this is all on the proviso that the assumption of an X-3 are true.

Unless it's being held back as sort of their last phoenix down to save them if they ever get into financial trouble. /****ty FF joke.:p

That trophy list looks fair difficult though. Both a blessing and a curse, in that it will probably motivate me to actually 100% but that lightning bolt one is going to drive me insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think nearly enough people played FFVII to make it worth remaking. It'd essentially be making a new game from scratch. I didn't know the game even existed until I was finishing secondary school though that's obviously anecdotal. It's far too big of an investment to indulge simple nostalgia. If Square Enix thought it'd be a good idea, then they'd do it. Today's generation seems mainly interested in the likes of Call of Duty and Battlefield than RPGs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

True, it could be that I'm overestimating the level of exposure it had compared to FFX. It was the first FF I played and was blown away by it, so obviously my own personal memories of it will impact that. That said X is probably my favourite game if all time so I couldn't give 2 farts if they remake VII since I'm getting to play X again.

Ocarina 3D sold pretty well considering the platform. VII-HD would break records.

Apparently you cant change the soundtrack in the re-release. I'm going to look and see if I can find it somewhere to listen to. Pity the battle theme sounds so busy and over-orchestrated.

VII-HD would break records.

I doubt it. Nintendo games seem to have their own devoted band of followers who'll buy them regardless, though it's been explained to me that their games are almost always high quality and largely peerless.
    FFVII on the other hand is a basic RPG and there are much more satisfying experiences available. Square Enix knows this. I'd say your best hope is modding the PC version. Remember, this is the company that released this. If they thought there was any chance of a remake doing better than breaking even then they'd have done it by now. The idea that they're holding it back as some kind of ace in the hole is ridiculous.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ocarina of Time did ok but didn't get the sales that a HD remake of FFVII would warrant to be considered successful. The game will have to be made from the ground up, there's no easy way to up res FFVII like they did with FFX. Also it would need some major work done on it. FFVII is quite simple and I'm not sure it will go down well in this day and age when you have the likes of SMT's press turn system and even the likes of Bravely Default. The game in it's original form is pretty janky as well, the mini games are awful and it's an obvious rush job in many areas. it would need a lot of polish. One worry could be the fanboys getting annoyed if they change too much even if it makes it a better game. In short basically they would have to give it the budget of a brand new game.

There's a large vocal group that wants a FFVII remake but the fact is that nostalgia doesn't sell and the group that want FFVII and will buy it is far smaller than the audience Square Enix would get with a brand new game.

Also one of the reasons FFX has been chosen to be remade is that in recent japanese polls it's now voted as the favourite by the public. There's a much bigger audience there for FFX and it cost them a fraction of cost a FFVII remake would cost.

This book is coming out today: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X-2.5

Final Fantasy X-2.5 (ugh :rolleyes:). I'd say it's almost certain there'll be a X-3.

Neogaf has some translated stuff from X-2.5. It sounds awful: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741166

Tidus kicks a blitzball and his head explodes lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That sounds beyond bad. Like a really bad fan fiction sequel.

Surely, even with Square Enix being as bad as they are now, this couldn't be real?

The badness is probably exaggerated. Having said that I caught a look at Lightning Returns leaked ending on youtube an it's probably the barmiest ending to an FF yet.
    Lightning travels to France

Very disappointed by some of the videos of this on Youtube. FFX was famous at the time for its facial animation detail but in the new game the characters look like inanimate dolls. Wakka is the exception for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very disappointed by some of the videos of this on Youtube. FFX was famous at the time for its facial animation detail but in the new game the characters look like inanimate dolls. Wakka is the exception for some reason.

Rose tinted glasses. Those animations haven't been changed since the original release.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Rose tinted glasses. Those animations haven't been changed since the original release.

This is a massive difference

Look at those dead eyes. Tidus is even worse (5:30)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is a massive difference

When you look at this video, you have to admit, it does look a lot worse than the original

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

You have to remember this isn't your TV screen your looking at. I bought Kingdom Hearts 1 HD which came out about the same time and the difference was truly massive.

Depth of field effects seem to be totally missing as well. PS2 was a beast when it came to post processing effects and transparencies while the PS3 and 360 to a lesser extent really struggles with them. It's beginning to look like the Silent Hill port where they have pared back on these so that it will work on the new machines.

You have to remember this isn't your TV screen your looking at. I bought Kingdom Hearts 1 HD which came out about the same time and the difference was truly massive.

You don't really need to see it on a TV though, the difference is pretty plain to see. On a tv it'll look sharper but sometimes sharper isn't always better with these old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Disappointed that there won't be an option for the Japanese audio, I didn't care when the game came out but after hearing and recognizing some of the voices (especially waka) that I'd like the option. In this age of DLC I'd say it'll show up and unless it's an exorbitant price I'll get it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So whos getting this?

I'll definitely be picking it up at some point but won't be for ages due to the impending **** ton of college work that's about to hit in the next month and a half. Will play it then and add it to FF13-3, Bioshock, Tomb Raider and any other PS+ games that have come out in the last two months in my backlog.

This will definitely be first to be played though and that platinum trophy, she will be mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Same. I have no platinum trophies yet but what better place to start with one of my all time favourite games. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick this up myself with work and because there will be a lot of it before I go on holidays in a couple of weeks. Straight away purchase when I get back though. Really can't wait!

Advertisement