Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X HD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

im probably going to put it on the long finger sine layton vs wright is out this month too

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

picked this up with Infamous tomorrow but will be playing infamous more. Can't wait to get stuck in on the long haul though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Klair88 wrote: »
    picked this up with Infamous tomorrow but will be playing infamous more. Can't wait to get stuck in on the long haul though!

I have inFamous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Will prob pick this up today. Either through the store or gamestop. Don't think there is any price difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was in Gamestop St Stephen's Green and tried to pick it up on the Vita only to be told it's sold out. I would usually just buy it from the PSN store but because of the apparent drought on Vita memory cards, I can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Same. I have no platinum trophies yet but what better place to start with one of my all time favourite games. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick this up myself with work and because there will be a lot of it before I go on holidays in a couple of weeks. Straight away purchase when I get back though. Really can't wait!
    Annnnd I completely caved and bought it at lunchtime today. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Omg a FFX HD remake?

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Took over 5 hours to download and about 30 minutes to install. Do not buy this on PSN if your internet isn't up to scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Is it wrong to say I'm more excited for this, than any game in the last 5 years, despite the fact I completed 3 times between 2002-2004?

One of my favourite pieces of fiction ever.
    I've played the series since the mid 90's and I look back at this as the Last Final Fantasy, and in many ways, the best.

Final Fantasy was always best, when it was a Japanese game with worldwide , influences and, not anime.
    It was a fantasy grounded in reality.

X managed to have a mythology that was understandable.
    Spira, looking back was the best realised world in the series and one worth saving.
    Its a small miracle that this game seemed to be immune to Toriyama influences

Great to play a JRPG again with relatable, even normal adults as main characters. Turns out X really was as good as it was.
    The narration by Tidus is brilliant. May well be the darkest, true to life game in the series.

It really does feel like a "journey" with characters that you grow to love, that the games industry have been trumpeting for years every other week and rarely if ever deliver on that hype.

A staunchly
    atheist/agnostic game, the laughing scene in context when the truth is revealed, i love the "spiral of death", and a world in stasis, the depressing themes, airship attack on Bevelle and Sin, that bittersweet, heartbreaking ending
    game.

PSU said it best:

It's a timeless tale of romance, religion, and metaphor, backdropped by one of Square's most well-realized worlds and blanketed in character subtlety that doesn't weigh down the story's perfect pacing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

well I bought this for the Vita as an impulse purchase and raging I didn't get the US version. I forgot FFX-2 was download only. 3.5GB, christ. My 64GB card is tied to my US account and I've only got a 4GB one for my EU account. looks like I'll have to get a new card.

• Advertisement

Adamantium wrote: »
    Is it wrong to say I'm more excited for this, than any game in the last 5 years, despite the fact I completed 3 times between 2002-2004?

One of my favourite pieces of fiction ever.
    I've played the series since the mid 90's and I look back at this as the Last Final Fantasy, and in many ways, the best.

Final Fantasy was always best, when it was a Japanese game with worldwide , influences and, not anime.
    It was a fantasy grounded in reality.

X managed to have a mythology that was understandable.
    Spira, looking back was the best realised world in the series and one worth saving.
    Its a small miracle that this game seemed to be immune to Toriyama influences

Great to play a JRPG again with relatable, even normal adults as main characters. Turns out X really was as good as it was.
    The narration by Tidus is brilliant. May well be the darkest, true to life game in the series.

It really does feel like a "journey" with characters that you grow to love, that the games industry have been trumpeting for years every other week and rarely if ever deliver on that hype.

A staunchly
    atheist/agnostic game, the laughing scene in context when the truth is revealed, i love the "spiral of death", and a world in stasis, the depressing themes, airship attack on Bevelle and Sin, that bittersweet, heartbreaking ending
    game.

PSU said it best:

It's a timeless tale of romance, religion, and metaphor, backdropped by one of Square's most well-realized worlds and blanketed in character subtlety that doesn't weigh down the story's perfect pacing.
    I totally relate. His narration is excellent. It's my favourite game bar VIII of all time. I find myself getting more adsorbed as I go in. The nostalgia is unreal!

I just wanted to say how amazing this game looks. It looks better than XIII did and that's no lie. It's so smooth looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I presume they're not changing anything on the balance and bug end of things?

I remember Attack Reels (Wakka) just murdering everything, along with Tidus' final overdrive.
    But all the other were fairly sub par once you got towards the end of the game. Lulu's in particular felt like a missed opportunity.

Also, I remember being annoyed that if you had armour that extended the limit of your life beyond 9999 and took it off, you permanently lost all the extra life you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Gbear wrote: »

I remember Attack Reels (Wakka) just murdering everything, along with Tidus' final overdrive.
    But all the other were fairly sub par once you got towards the end of the game. Lulu's in particular felt like a missed opportunity.

Also, I remember being annoyed that if you had armour that extended the limit of your life beyond 9999 and took it off, you permanently lost all the extra life you had.

Lulu's O/D was ridiculous. Don't think I ever got over 5 and since the damage is reduced, it was more worth your while doing a doublecast.

Risteard wrote: »
    Lulu's O/D was ridiculous. Don't think I ever got over 5 and since the damage is reduced, it was more worth your while doing a doublecast.

If you were able to level it up to the point where you could cast 5/6 full strength Ultimas it would've been worth it and she would've been worth using (instead of just giving Yuna some offensive spells).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gbear wrote: »

They're hardly bugs now. Most of the best FF game battle systems are based around end game exploits that break the game engine. They know just how stupidly powerful combinations of attacks can be but unlike other games they freely embrace it.

Just beat the Goers 2-1! Tidus and Wakka being bosses.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They're hardly bugs now. Most of the best FF game battle systems are based around end game exploits that break the game engine. They know just how stupidly powerful combinations of attacks can be but unlike other games they freely embrace it.

I love the exploits.

It's like nobody ever sat down and thought about what 12 x 99,999 is equal to.

My only complaint is that there aren't more exploity characters that would break up your default end-game combo of Tidus, Wakka and Yuna.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Pros:
    they didn't **** it up too much.

Cons:
    Why did they turn Lulu's voice down so much, you can barely hear her. They gave Tidus' voice loads of unneeded bass.
    sometimes the characters look overly tall and thin like it was designed for a super wide TV but not a regular sized one.

Oh and the biggest con of all, they included FFX-2 (lol)

Tell me, you know when there calling for Wakka in the final and Tidus looks all disappointed and swims off.
    Does that happen no matter what the score is? or only if you're losing/drawing? Tidus having a face like a slapped arse I mean, not Wakka rejoining the game.

Just beat the Goers 2-1! Tidus and Wakka being bosses.

TO HELL WITH YOU :pac::pac::eek:

I reset 6-7 times trying to beat them and it just wouldn't go my way. I know how to Blitz and have not lost a game since but that first game can be rage inducing.
    I beat it years ago when I first played through but this time around it was just not happening. Even after holding them to 0-0 for the first half, stealing in the second and getting an early start, they just started the second by bypassing all my players (even after being bumped into) and scoring an easy shot. Damn you Keepa. YOU SUCK!!!! Jackass!

Loving the HD remake though. Tidus can look effing retarded at times though (beginning scene on way through Zanarkand when he looks up at the TV of Jecht, his mouth makes him look like a window licker.)
    But still, memories of the game are great.

I had been playing through FFVII and IX every so often. I forgot how much better the sphere grid is.
    Currently up to Macalania Woods with plenty of grinding in between.

Just curious if anyojne else plays like me? Making sure each character gets a turn in every battle? Makes for longer play but leaves no one out power wise.

sometimes the characters look overly tall and thin like it was designed for a super wide TV but not a regular sized one.

That's how they originally looked. The European version of FFX was a travesty which squashed the aspect ratio with black borders so everyone looked fat in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I had another session today just starting from the first blitzball game.
    When I bought the game(two days ago now), I played until I got as far as a 1-1, two minutes from the end of the first blitzball game. Anyways Tidus has his hissy fit and I was wondering if if you're ahead he's not quite so bummed about tagging Wakka in, I turned it off without saving.

but I tried again today and was clearly leading 1-0 but it's the same CG sequence. I was satisfied that it happens no matter what.

Anyways I did that and enjoyed the savage scene where Seymore summons Anima and the stupid laughing scene. I also endured the embarrassment of hearing people shout "my" name. i.e., Auron, in the game... it's just... weird.

Then I just played blitzball at the save point all ****ing evening. I love the game so much, I almost wish it was a separate, standalone game. Seriously I never loved a mini game more then Blitzball.
    I've even set myself a restriction this time: no signings; original Besaid Aurochs (and Tidus) only, and when he eventually becomes available to sign Wakka.

Datto is actually class, and a really good partner up front for Tidus.
    Tidus has his broke ass Jecht shot, but in general lower endurance then Datto, so if your two strikers are being marked far away from the goal, by one defender each, Datto is the better option; He can take the tackle early and dribble toward a free shot on goal, where as Tidus needs the Jecht Shot or risk losing possession, so you need to give him the ball near goal to avoid the shot power falling too much.
    For the first 5~10 games Datto was actually scoring more then Tidus.

I mean eventually when Tidus gets enough HP to use Jecht shot whenever he's near goal, he becomes the broken character of the Universe, but until that point, Datto's the surer bet. Plus I had the fortune of learning a good tackle technique with him, and the odd time he'd actually win the ball of a defender and just swim up and score.

I've only hit the pathway outside Luca, but if my full unbelievable love of FFX hasn't come back yet, my absolute love for Blitzball definitely has. It's only a shame there wasn't a 'hard' mode since at this stage I know the game so well it's never really a contest to win and sometime the AI is just so ****ing stupid you just think "Just ****ing shoot, you'll beat Keepa, shoot, just aim for the goal your shot is 14 and Keepa's catch is like, 8".

Blitzball love officially rekindled.

Noxin wrote: »
    Just curious if anyojne else plays like me? Making sure each character gets a turn in every battle? Makes for longer play but leaves no one out power wise.
    I play like that. Triangle for the win. It's actually a decent strategy as I have steal on Yuna & Rikku so I get items in every game too. I didn't have to grind yet because of it and my characters are doing great. Just making sure to get Overkill's whenever I can.
    Datto is actually class, and a really good partner up front for Tidus.
    Datto is one of the best forwards in the game. I have to carry Tidus at times to get experience but Datto is just a beast. He learned tackle slip there and I almost don't want to use it as it makes it a no contest. I remember in previous playthroughs I would drop Tidus altogether and pick someone else like Wakka.

What I normally do to any character who needs leveling up, I stick him in midfield. Botta & Jassu get serious points when I do this as midfielders usually have poor endurance. I just signed Svanda (?) I think her name is called from the Calm lands and let Letty go. I also lost to the Al Bhed Psyches there 2-1. Judda & Lakkam had elite defence or brawler on and it usually ended with 3 people on break. :( I find the Ronso's the easiest team by far. Bet them 9-0 last time.

I lost against the Goers in the opening game as well 2-1. Robbed with about 8 seconds to go in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I really wanted to try and beat the Aurochs this time. In all my years I always lost with like 10 or 20 seconds left. I was also worried that I would not remember how to play at all and fumble my way through a crushing loss.

Ended up beating them 3-2. First half started off great and I managed to scrape a standard goal with Tidus, but as soon as we kicked off again they tore through my defence and scored. 1-1 going into the second half, but I had done enough passing to level up some of the players and I equipped Tidus with the Jecht Shot. Got a hold of Tidus and went straight for the goal against three players. Barely survived a break and then knocked out the other two and blasted it in. Once again, we kicked off and they powered through my defence and scored. Wakka comes on and I manage to keep us level. 15 seconds left and I just go for it. 13 END versus 12 AT. Barely survived and powered through with his Venom Shot for the win.

Feckin' delighted! I mean all I got extra was a strength sphere, but I'm still happy!

6m2rvE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I can see this being the first PS3 game that I get a platinum trophy in. The only thing standing in my way is 200 goddamn lightning strikes.

I can see this being the first PS3 game that I get a platinum trophy in. The only thing standing in my way is 200 goddamn lightning strikes.

Don't remind me of that. I dread the idea of attempting it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Noxin wrote: »
    Don't remind me of that. I dread the idea of attempting it again.

My best score so far is 7. I'm thinking I should wait till I get a no encounters. Rikku is getting one shotted atm so I'm thinkingi need to go back to the previous level and level her upa wee bit.

I'm in the Habit of using all my charecters in the fight.

Just play on, lv her up in the forrest or the desert if needs be, don't waste your own time going back to areas with lower exp gain if you've nothing else to collect back there.

She has a few hp nodes near the start of her grid so she'll catch up pretty quickly.

Noxin/Littlefinger definitely wait until you have no encounters :P

I generally lv everyone up equally too, but not for every single fight, it just gets too tedious, especially when most areas will have a fight nor two with weaker enemy's and relatively low exp gain.

Just play on, lv her up in the forrest or the desert if needs be, don't waste your own time going back to areas with lower exp gain if you've nothing else to collect back there.

She has a few hp nodes near the start of her grid so she'll catch up pretty quickly.

Noxin/Littlefinger definitely wait until you have no encounters :P

I've missed at least one primer if not two. I'll see how I get on tonight!

Tsk tsk, how could you :P

I'm awfully anal about making sure I get every primer as they become available. I guess you could also track back for the jecht spheres while you're at it then, thou. Well, clear the forrest 1st.

• Advertisement

Tsk tsk, how could you :P

I'm awfully anal about making sure I get every primer as they become available. I guess you could also track back for the jecht spheres while you're at it then, thou. Well, clear the forrest 1st.

well balls didn't realise I'd missed I'd missed some of them too D: . Thanks guess I'll be back grinding tonight.

Advertisement