Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy X HD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't mind the arena at all. Was good fun collecting and fighting all those unique nasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Kiith wrote: »
    I think X was one of the few games that i've ever really enjoyed the grinding. Although i do remember using a cheap way of levelling, where damage taken would turn into exp. Some enemy only did one 9999 hit, so i remember just letting him hit me over and over again, giving me insane exp.

Cheap, but effective.
    ohyes.

1.let wakka,tidus,auron killed most of the enemies you countered
    2.make them overdrive->AP, Triple AP weapon (and two auto pheonix in the team)
    3.fight Don berry in arena, dealt 99999 damage to you
    4.99lvl in 5mins lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

One thing I hated is the Omega Dungeon.

There is all these chests with excellent gear but the chances of something being in them is small.

I read online at the time that the whole thing is timed and you need to wait 5 seconds between opening them or something but could never manage it. Seemed really silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

fantastic news.

for the record, my gripes with FFX:

Grinding luck was insane. you needed luck spheres, then hundreds of fortune spheres.
    Could be partially fixed with random drops of fortune spheres, for example, by all the custom monsters at the arena.

Luck was over powered too, having 255 luck meant you were never hit and never missed (rendering accuracy and evasion pointless).

Don't care how deadly a move is, Zanmoto on dark Aeons and Penence is TOO cheap. you're an idiot if you do, and an idiot if you don't.

Despite good efforts the tradition of unbalanced limit breaks rares it's ugly head:

Gods
    Wakka
    Yuna

Middling
    Tidus
    Auron

Losers
    Lulu
    Rikku/Kimari

I believe Lulu's Ultima fury and flare fury work out worse then the normal spell unless you have Onion knight and insane magic. Each flares or ultima does about 1/3 normal damage (which means you only get more damage then normal after 4 spins, but 3-4 spins are about all you'll get anyways)

Rikku's attacking limit breaks are not enhanced by stats, so she'll be doing like 800 x 3 damage and 19998 and whatnot making any of her attacking limits actually weaker then her attack end game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Turns out it's not a hd remaster of the original, it's done in the FF13 engine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    Turns out it's not a hd remaster of the original, it's done in the FF13 engine.

Interesting. I'm willing to bet that the Crystal Tools engine has been built from the FFX engine since it was such a good PS2 engine. I don't think we'll see re done textures but some high quality shader effects would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm willing to bet that the Crystal Tools engine has been built from the FFX engine since it was such a good PS2 engine. I don't think we'll see re done textures but some high quality shader effects would be nice.

They would be working from the original assets that were created rather than those actually seen in the game.

Varik wrote: »
    They would be working from the original assets that were created rather than those actually seen in the game.

Doesn't mean anything though. There's lots of remakes of games on new engines like the Code Veronica one coming out soon which is built on the Capcom Framework MT engine instead of the dreamcast engine. they use the same polygon meshes and models and textures. It costs far too much money to redo textures and polygon meshes. You might get some textures redone if they are particularly bad but if this is selling cheap then it's not worthwhile to redo everything. Don't expect this to look like FFXIII, it will look like a slight improvement of the PS2 game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thought when you mentioned XIII you meant it would have the XIII battle system for a minute there!

Oh God, Kimahri. What an absolutely useless character.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Thought when you mentioned XIII you meant it would have the XIII battle system for a minute there!

Oh God, Kimahri. What an absolutely useless character.

Onlly in late-mid to late game.

At that stage only Tidus, Wakka and Yuna are any use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was the one that started me playing the rest of the Final Fantasies.

I ended up only using Kimahri every so often as to keep him from falling too far behind in case I had to use him. His Overdrives were woeful though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

You really need to be playing with the expert grid for Kimahri to be any use. I had him doing more damage than Auron on one of my playthroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

any idea if blitzball will be online?! i doubt it but could happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I would buy a PS3 JUST for this.
    I enjoyed Final Fantasy X back in the day (God, I sound old :P ) and would love to play the HD version of it.
    Someone said in the first couple of posts in this thread about the lightning dodging, I hated that but loved it at the same time.

Was there anything mentioned about X-2 getting a HD version?, because I loved that game also (The music was soooooo good)

I enjoyed Final Fantasy X back in the day (God, I sound old :P )

And now I feel ancient. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

And now I feel ancient. Thanks.

Me too. 2002 feels like yesterday!

Mr. K wrote: »
    Me too. 2002 feels like yesterday!

Saying that. They could release it as a 10-year anniversery do-hickey with added bonuses (Now I really sound old)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Saying that. They could release it as a 10-year anniversery do-hickey with added bonuses (Now I really sound old)

Added bonuses...like X-2?!

If that is the case.

SQUARE-ENIX. TAKE ALL MY MONEY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm really hyped for this, X is my favourite FF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

a bonus would be a card saying "SE hereby officially disregard the events of the game formally known as FFX-2 and strip in from Spira's narrative canon"

a bonus would be a card saying "SE hereby officially disregard the events of the game formally known as FFX-2 and strip in from Spira's narrative canon"

X-2 was very good lads.
    Come on!

Look beyond the three Charlie Angels, think of the cool new factions, their excellent back stories, that creepy (sinister almost) sphere showing what looks like Tidus.

I hated FFX-2. Not because of the awful story and writing (my god it was bad but sometimes amusing). The battle system was great. It was the fact that if you didn't go through with a faq you'd miss the good ending. Now that I'm not so OCD and I can just look it up on Youtube I really want to go back to it.

Meh, I really enjoyed the stories of the three main male characters as I said!

Battle system wasn't bad either.

EDIT: I also thought the genocide aspect bit was a bit racey for a FF game!

Anyone reckon they might do the same with XII. I've been watching clips on youtube and I'd forgotten how sharply written it is.

H. H. Asquith

Anyone reckon they might do the same with XII. I've been watching clips on youtube and I'd forgotten how sharply written it is.

That's because Matsuno was involved, squares only decent storyteller at the moment and also Alexander O. Smith did the localisation, by far the best localiser in the business. However I feel the story in that game is a mess, you can tell what point Matsuno had stopped writing when he left because things just get wrapped up too quickly and the Bahamut turning up out of no where was pulled out of some ones ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

That's because Matsuno was involved, squares only decent storyteller at the moment and also Alexander O. Smith did the localisation, by far the best localiser in the business. However I feel the story in that game is a mess, you can tell what point Matsuno had stopped writing when he left because things just get wrapped up too quickly and the Bahamut turning up out of no where was pulled out of some ones ass.

You're right there. I think the single biggest mistake of that game was Vaan (and also Penelo). Plus the story is very disjointed after you land in that desert and you basically spend the next 20 hours walking until you finally get through Feywood and things pick up again.

Having said that if you approach it as sort of a free roaming RPG and do all the marks and side quests and only accidently get yourself involved with the main story it's a great game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I loved XII's big, sprawling map. It seemed like such a step backwards to revert to X's insanely linear world for FFXIII

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I hated FFX-2. Not because of the awful story and writing (my god it was bad but sometimes amusing). The battle system was great. It was the fact that if you didn't go through with a faq you'd miss the good ending. Now that I'm not so OCD and I can just look it up on Youtube I really want to go back to it.

Did you actually manage to do everything and get the bonus ending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Dunno if I've said this before. But if X-2 was just it's own rpg in it's own world about three bounty hunters with the same battle system and dresspheres would have been the greatest game ever.

Advertisement