Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Off Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Zyzz wrote: »
    Oh snap did I write pub? I meant eh..study

Sorry for the mis-spelling! :D

Of course, of course. Simple mistake to make :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BamboozledFinn

If DIT is to become a university when it moves to Grangegorman does that mean it'll change it's name? If so, any ideas on what they might go for?

If DIT is to become a university when it moves to Grangegorman does that mean it'll change it's name? If so, any ideas on what they might go for?

At the moment, DIT is a University in all but name, as it has it's own degree awarding powers - where as all the other ITs have degrees issued by HETAC or FETAC, depending on the level.

I'd say that when it does get University status, it'll probably be called DUT - Dublin University of Technology. All the other names are taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Anyone else getting a "connection is untrusted" warning when they try to log in to student email tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a "connection is untrusted" warning when they try to log in to student email tonight?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BamboozledFinn

Dreddybajs wrote: »

I'm getting it too! :(

I added it as an exception, then got an error page... went back to dit.ie and clicked through again and it worked.

Hhhhmmm....I can't seem to get into the timetables though. :confused:

Yeah, the timetables have been down for a few days for me.

I've said it before, I'mma say it again - webtimetables is awful!

Similarly off topic;

Had 9 hours of lectures today - 9 feckin' hours!

Kinda makes up for it in the fact that I have Thursdays and Fridays off tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

Ouch!! I think one of the days I'm in from 9 until 8... Not looking forward to labs starting next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm in Thursdays 9-6 but with a 4hr break in the middle... Not sure what I'm gonna do with myself!

Also, appropriately off-topic, Tesco has a deal of a sandwich, crisps, and orange juice for €3. My lunch sorted for the longer days.

Aard wrote: »
    I'm in Thursdays 9-6 but with a 4hr break in the middle... Not sure what I'm gonna do with myself!

Also, appropriately off-topic, Tesco has a deal of a sandwich, crisps, and orange juice for €3. My lunch sorted for the longer days.

Im the same on Thursdays. Except mine is a 5 hour break. Go to the cinema or something I suppose. :confused:

Wow. That's not bad. Not bad at all.

I go to the Aungier Deli myself. Any roll or wrap for €2.50. Or soup for €1. Food is nice aswell.

swiftblade wrote: »

Im the same on Thursdays. Except mine is a 5 hour break. Go to the cinema or something I suppose. :confused:
    You could get an unlimited card from cineworld, 19.99/month. it'd pay for itself in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've a four hour gap on Monday's went to the cinema with a few people yesterday. It was a grand way to kill a few hours.

I'm considering getting the cineworld unlimited card for €20 a month. Even you go four times it's worth it. We went at 12.40 yesterday and it was €6.90 for a student ticket.

Edit: grand rajnah: great minds think alike eh? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Web timetables really is appalling, thankfully I copied down mine into a spreadsheet, I'd be seriously lost if I hadn't, hasn't been working for ages now.

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Edit: grand rajnah: great minds think alike eh? :P

Well, what can I say :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

DIT students get 2 for 1 in the IFI some days, not sure which. But it's a lovely little cinema with a cool café/bar and some decent showings as well :)

You could get an unlimited card from cineworld, 19.99/month. it'd pay for itself in no time!

20 quid a month. Not bad. :) Is that with a student discount?

We should make a sticky for stuff to do in between lectures :)

• Advertisement

swiftblade wrote: »
    20 quid a month. Not bad. :) Is that with a student discount?

We should make a sticky for stuff to do in between lectures :)

No thats just their price, it's really good.

Yeah that's not a bad plan. What else could we add to it, no point making a sticky for 1 or 2 things!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

I had a gap last year from 11 in the morning until 7 that night n then it changed to a gap from like 1 until 7 and it was like that for my whole first semester... One of the things I did while I was wandering around town was make my way to the other colleges so I would have an idea of where all the different DITs were and what they were like! Could be something to take up a few hours if ya don't already know about em and stuff! =D

No thats just their price, it's really good.

Yeah that's not a bad plan. What else could we add to it, no point making a sticky for 1 or 2 things!

Decent pubs nearby ,shops (Forbidden Planet FTW!) , ect. :)

Could add places that do deals at lunch time too.

I'll make ye a deal!

If we can get 5 seperate posts with good (and preferably free/cheap) things to do during lecture gaps, I'll move em all to a new thread and sticky it!

I count 2 so far, Cinema and Explore DIT Buildings.

One thing that we do in my group is go to Stephen's Green when it's nice out, there could be 20 of us sitting/lying in a circle. It's a great way to pass a couple of hours!

EDIT: Including swiftblades post, were up to 4

Might not be to everyones taste but the National Gallery is free addmission. :)

Actually all the National Museums are free

Londis are curretnly doing a lunch special thing, were if you buy 4 lunches from them you get the 5th free. :)

Thread's open.

I'll move over any posts that are just suggestions, but if there's other stuff in the post, I'll let ye post it over yourselves!

Dear god, it's a lot more complicated to move the posts than I thought.

The time stamp on them is before I created the new thread, so they moved automatically to the top of the list, which doesn't work, cos I needed the instructions on top. So I decided to delete that post, but somehow I deleted the bloody thread!

Fuck sake :mad:

I'm sick of trying it now, I'm convinced the software doesn't like me.
    I have just moved the posts back here.

So, I'm sorry, I tried, but yis are gonna have to add new posts yourselves guys! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In a similar theme to cinemas and museums, the National Concert Hall often has lunchtime concerts for cheap. A couple of years ago I used to go regularly to free concerts around that time; don't know if they're still on. Incidentally, they sell tickets to everything for €5 (students only!) in the 10 minutes or so before a performance, so in theory you could go see a world-famous orchestra for one-tenth of the price!

• Advertisement

In a similar theme to cinemas and museums, the National Concert Hall often has lunchtime concerts for cheap. A couple of years ago I used to go regularly to free concerts around that time; don't know if they're still on. Incidentally, they sell tickets to everything for €5 (students only!) in the 10 minutes or so before a performance, so in theory you could go see a world-famous orchestra for one-tenth of the price!

Throw it up in this thread so we can have all the suggestions for stuff to do in the one spot.

Advertisement