Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things to do during a gap in Lectures!

• 20-09-2011 11:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a suggestion in the the Off Topic thread, I present to you, The "Things to do during a gap in Lectures" Thread!!

Because of Boards.ie's rules on advertising, this thread could be slightly problematic, but I reckon if the following rules are adhered to, we should be OK.

1) You must have more than 100 posts to post in this thread. This is so that businesses don't start registering accounts and posting up links to their own business. If you post make a suggestion without the post count required, it'll be deleted.

2) Following on from the last one, don't be pimping you're own business either, even if ya do have some kinda Stupendous Student Special Offer Deal!!

3) No links to websites or phone numbers.

4) No chat on thread - just posts about things to do. For off topic Nonsense, head over to the DIT Off Topic Chat Thread. If you want to discuss something mentioned on this thread, do it there and just link to the relevant suggestion

Also, to make the thread easier to read put a title on each thread - The title must contain the Campuses they are applicable to, the activity that you're suggesting, and the price level.

Price levels are:
    €0 - Free,
    €0.01 - €5 Cheap,
    €5.01 - €10 Pretty Cheap,
    €10.01 or more - Damn Expensive

Ex: Aungier Street - Pub - Cheap or Cinema - Cahal Brugha Street and Bolton Street - Pretty Cheap

In the post, give as much details as possible, full price, any restrictions, weather or not you need a student card, etc etc.

I'm not trying to be a NaziMod, but I want to keep the thread as fit for purpose and within the rules as possible, as I think it could be a good resource!

So without further ado, I open up the floor to your suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

€0 or more

Has a good selection of shops as well as a TGI Fridays and various coffee shops. Not a bad place to spend a wet afternoon. :)

Some shops may offer disscounts to students.

Edit: title was ment to say Stephens Green Shopping centre

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

On a nice day, it's good to get a good group of people from your course to go to Stephen's Green, sit around in a circle, have a good chat and a laugh.

I would suggest bring a ball with you, but the Greens "Police" will be on you and confiscate it if you do. Just grab some food and/or a coffee and enjoy.

There was many an afternoon spent just lounging about there last year!

Karma Bar, just beside Aungier Street, has a great buzz about the place, and Pints of Fosters are only €3 :). They do a cheapish Student Menu, but only for a once off now and again. Bar staff there are lovely as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Against the Grain on Wexford Street (just up from the main Aungier Street entrance) is a really nice pub with a great selection of world beers, and lovely food which (here's the pretty cheap bit!) is two for one on Tuesdays!

Can get a nice pub dinner for 6-7 quid if you go with a mate.

Cineworld on Parnell street do an unlimited card, which entitles you to Unlimited Free Cinema (3D or 2D) at anytime throughout the month, for only €19.99/month.

One catch though, as far as I know, you have to set it up for a year by direct debit - so if there's a month where things are tight, you won't be able to not buy it.

That said however, if there is a month when you're broke, having an unlimited Cinema Card is probably a good thing - save you some cash on going out.

• Advertisement

€18.95- €23.95

Not so much something to do but somewhere to eat. They do a cheapish early bird menu. Its around €18.95 for a drink (Coke ect) , Main, and a choice of either a starter or desert. Not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Great idea for a thread, but just as an FYI I'm on boards mobile and you can't see the title of posts on it so I don't know what some of ye are talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

Take a wander around to the different DIT locations around to see what they are like and to have an idea where abouts they are in case events are being held in specific campuses! =]

National Museums

€0- Free

All are free and worth a visit. :)

http://www.museum.ie/en/about-us.aspx

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread, but just as an FYI I'm on boards mobile and you can't see the title of posts on it so I don't know what some of ye are talking about!

Agh stop moaning!:D

Ah no, I noticed that myself, but all the details are in the body of the post anyway, so I reckon we'll survive without!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The Disney Shop on Grafton Street,Myself and others from my course spent a good hour last week watching all the clips from films and songs etc in the little screen upstairs.

We weren't the only one so at elast we didn't seem like copleate weirdos.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Get involved! DITSU run welfare campaigns and promote events all year long. There's usually some freebies involved and it's a great way to meet new people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭i124Q

Get an eff buddy and go to the jacks.. oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Sit outside getting wet looking at the vacant shed space over the pond in Boton St.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

The ivy gardens is only about a 5 minute walk from kevin st and aungier st.

Its a great place to go for a walk and get your lunch etc, especially on a sunny day.

Its down harcourt st, take a left ( opposite coppers) down at the right hand side of the carpark these a small door leading into it.

One of Dublins hidden gems as most people dont know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I sometimes go down to one of the places where you can play xbox and ps3 online for €2.50 an hour, lil bit pricey but it passes the time alright.
    (No €20 deposit when you bring your own game)
    I use the one just on northside of the ha'penny bridge.

Advertisement