Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHAT THREAD for ex-Katia storm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

tzfrantic wrote: »
    could it get stronger then that

Extremely unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

You really don't give up do you? No body knows exactly how strong the winds will get in Meath, you have been told approximate estimates, what more do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Of course. But perhaps not this particular wind event.

I'd be guided by what the experts here are estimating. There's a great pool of knowledge and experience that they share with us.

Out of curiosity, why asking so specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

just want to see some trees' fall but is it unlikely now with that speed

You'd be surprised by what several 50 mph gusts can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

are you planning on cutting up the trees for firewood for the winter ???? :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Has owenc moved to meath?:p

trees could still fall in less at risk areas, due to the trees being in season and the ground being fairly saturated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaWwx_v0p0

;)

NIALL D wrote: »
    are you planning on cutting up the trees for firewood for the winter ???? :eek::D

I like this plan!

i have this big tree that is at a tilt and the soil is very wet with the 70 mph winds knock it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ur not wearing a I shot JR t shirt are u?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

NIALL D wrote: »

Well im guesing the poor guy has no chainsaw, we are in a recession you know.

lol no the tree is infront of the gate so if it fall we will be traped inside our garden

i have this big tree that is at a tilt and the soil is very wet with the 70 mph winds knock it down

Depends on many factors really.

Direction of wind, direction of tree tilt, root spread and structure, soil type, soil moisture content, height of tree, spread of canopy, foliage on tree, etc, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

I suspect that's the least of his worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Tactical wrote: »

Depends on many factors really.

Direction of wind, direction of tree tilt, root spread and structure, soil type, soil moisture content, height of tree, spread of canopy, foliage on tree, etc, etc....

Oh ok that makes sense thought u were like pat short waiting gleefully for trees to fall except trees sub in rabbits lol

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

winds have jus picked up here quiet a bit in south tipp in the last 15min

However, the government sure could use the excise and VAT from the fuel used to power the chainsaw ;)

Maybe they'd love a good storm so lots of petrol and two stroke oil could be used in chainsaws :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Might help get the economy back on its feet. There again, with the corresponding drop in sales of home heating oil due to an excess of available firewood from fallen trees it could be a worrying time trying to balance the nations finances :p;):D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Eerie calm here in inner city Dublin. Very warm also.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Would I be right in saying the wind direction would be a south westerly to north easterly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

P.S. Very calm here tonight in Derry. Had been raining the last 2 hours. But the wind is definitly not as strong as it has been the previous 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

It got pretty warm in Mayo (near Louisburgh, lucky me!) before the winds got up about an hour ago. Cooling off a bit now, and noisy out there. I'm drowning out the wind by listening to 'windy' tunes - Bowie's 'Wild is the Wind' is the best so far :) Can't see me getting a lot of sleep tonight, cos I *don't* want trees falling, they're next to the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Very windy down here now.

G'night all.

Been very enjoyable, almost as good as snow watch time.

See ya all good and early in the morning as winds start to pick up a little.

Stay safe and enjoy the wind event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

lol no the tree is infront of the gate so if it fall we will be traped inside our garden

You want to see trees fall...so that you'll be trapped inside your garden...okaaaaay...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Im in a t-shirt and sipping a pina calada here but thats not the weather its the drink:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

P.S. Very calm here tonight in Derry. Had been raining the last 2 hours. But the wind is definitly not as strong as it has been the previous 2 nights.

Yeah it's the exact same here in Dungiven. Raining a little heavier now though by the looks of it but nothing significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Is everyone just jumping frm forum to forum like me? (Ribbit) in search of new posts and really really enjoying the chat!
    I predict 56 mph winds in firhouse BTW and 62 mph in cavan (eh can't find icon for ironic wink but imagine it here)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Yep, that's more or less what I'm doing too - along with the 'windy' tunes (Spinal Tap - Break Like the Wind). Ahh, nothing like a potential crisis to bring out the fun side of folk ;)

• Advertisement

Is everyone just jumping frm forum to forum like me? (Ribbit) in search of new posts and really really enjoying the chat!

Weirdo:rolleyes:

Advertisement