Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Oryx wrote: »
    Club 5k tt tonight (running). Gave a time of 23 mins and took off alongside two lads I know are solid runners. We stayed neck and neck the whole way, I think we dragged each other along, no room to slack off the pace at all. We only broke ranks for the sprint finish. Managed 22.25 for 5.2k which I'm dead happy about given the way things have been going. This running with other people lark is cool. :)
    Again with the WOW! :) Very nice time for 5.2k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Super 5k time Oyrx. I know you are feeling the fatigue at the moment but you must be happy with the fact that even though you're not at your best you are still knocking out great running times like that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Paying for yesterdays jog today. Am pooped so its a rest day for me. :)

Got out on my (road) bike today! And I hadn't forgotten how to ride it! But by 30 miles I sure could tell I hadn't ridden it in a while. Hard work! Did a forty miler out and back, and the out was fast and easy... Cos the sneaky wind that I didn't even know was there just killed me on the way back. Still. A good session seeing as I couldn't get to hell and back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

How you coping with taper madness?? ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    How you coping with taper madness?? ;)
    I've had the most insane two weeks coping with a project in work, which had me headwrecked anyway. It didnt help everything else.

I am walking a tightrope at the moment, trying to manage this semi burnout that Im trying to overcome. Not easy at the sharp end of a marathon schedule, and with a swim coach who has hit the winter season on a mission.

Added to that, Ive not followed any kind of a plan, (even though, thank you jb, you did give me details of one), I havent been able to stick with any regular training, just doing what I can as and when the body allows it. I can only hope that what did get done, and the base I have, will get me through without too much agony. Times don't matter anymore, I have to just do this to enjoy it. As Scotty says in star trek 'She canna take no more'.

tl;dr? There is no taper madness. There is just madness.

If you haven't read Marthastew's Berlin race report, then you should. If you really feel you are not properly prepared to nail this race, then go out there and just have fun. Soak up the crowd and the energy.....pace it smart, smart, smart.....enjoy the scenery and the people....encourage people along the way, especially since there will be loads who will be struggling and needing a word of encouragement. There was this lad on Sunday who was running the marathon for no other reason than to have a good time and help others. I met up with him a few times - and one of those times was when I was struggling a good bit and he helped me take my mind off things with his singing and running backwards and stealing pom poms from the cheerleaders and throwing down a cheer with them. He was great. Share what you've got to help others meet their goals if you can. And enjoy the day. :)

There was this lad on Sunday who was running ......

:D Love it :) She's been hanging out here so long you can't even hear an accent anymore :)

RedB wrote: »
    :D Love it :) She's been hanging out here so long you can't even hear an accent anymore :)

I know!!! Hubby rolls his eyes...some of the words are part of my lexicon now. I said "head torch" to someone at the bike shop the other day and they just looked at me. ;)

Another week done. Two weeks and two days till the mara, no targets hit, a few missed, but I tried, anyway. At the risk of repeating myself, Im tired. Which always makes me sing this in my head.

I can't do any tempo work, but I do have 3 20 milers in the bag. Which means I know I can get around, but I havent a feckin clue how to pace it. Im almost as bad as KG with his 3 week anyone-can-do-it marathon plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I can't do any tempo work, but I do have 3 20 milers in the bag. Which means I know I can get around, but I havent a feckin clue how to pace it. Im almost as bad as KG with his 3 week anyone-can-do-it marathon plan.

Offer- 3:45 pace to halfway, speed up/down/maintain until 20, scream profanities at each other over the final 6.2.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Offer- 3:45 pace to halfway, speed up/down/maintain until 20, scream profanities at each other over the final 6.2.
    I like the sound of the screaming profanities bit. :p

I like the sound of the screaming profanities bit. :p

Well, the offers there if you want to brush up on your French. But don't let it stop you aiming for faster. What's your target? (Don't say you don't know)

I had hoped to get a 3.30 this year, though it was an optimistic ask. Now I want to get as close to 3.40 as I can. Trying for anything less just doesnt interest me. I know Dory has said about running a fun race if I cant attempt a target, but my mind isnt there. So I'm going to run by feel for ten miles, then check my watch and see where Im at. If Im feeling good, Im going to go for the target. If Im not feeling good, Ill probably hail a taxi.

I appreciate your offer, but I find running a race with someone either keeps me too relaxed or kills me. I need my own pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Offer two!! You and Kurt head out with 3:30 group, blow up mile 18, scream profanaties at each other and at me for screwing up your race then slide off to the pub. Deal:rolleyes:

One benefit you have Oryx is there is absolutely no time pressures on you and you can just go out enjoy it and take everything in along the way.

I had hoped to get a 3.30 this year, though it was an optimistic ask. Now I want to get as close to 3.40 as I can. Trying for anything less just doesnt interest me. I know Dory has said about running a fun race if I cant attempt a target, but my mind isnt there. So I'm going to run by feel for ten miles, then check my watch and see where Im at. If Im feeling good, Im going to go for the target. If Im not feeling good, Ill probably hail a taxi.

I appreciate your offer, but I find running a race with someone either keeps me too relaxed or kills me. I need my own pace.

That's all good. Too rich for my current state in any case. Sounds like you have a decent strategy, and with the training you've done its very doubtful you'll need taxi money. I'll hold onto a few choice cusswords just in case you're faltering over the last few miles, but I sincerely doubt I'll be using them. that you'll be within earshot when I use them.

Its probably too rich for my current state, but I dont want to do a 4.xx.xx and be sick that I didnt try harder.

I don't know if you have already checked or even have an interest, but I think all you need to get into Boston is a 3:45 (2013 is closed, so we're talking 2014) assuming I've got your age group correct. I qualified for 2014 with last weekend's time....so....if you happen to cross the finish line under that time in two weeks, then stick thoughts of Boston in your back pocket.....registration opens in September of next year. ;)

The joys of getting older :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And I'll be looking for Boston 2014 if I manage to actually train for London 2013. Boards party in Boston. :)

• Advertisement

And I'll be looking for Boston 2014 if I manage to actually train for London 2013. Boards party in Boston. :)

We all heard it here....the queen in Boston in 2014. Oryx, just come in under 3:45, the rest doesn't matter. And rumor has it Kurt is going for 3:15 to qualify as well. We may have to book out an entire floor somewhere. ;) Note to self: start training for the after party now. :D

Ah but I'm planning another IM in 2014... :)

So?? IMs and marathons are not mutually exclusive....and what better way to prepare for your IM than to have your running at "that" level a few months in advance. There are several rock star boardsies who do a spring marathon and summer/fall IM. I don't know which IM you are looking at, but I would imagine there will be 3 months or more in between the marathon and the IM. :)Boston, Boston, Boston..... ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sure a marathon is great training for an IM. Isn't there one after that long cycle y'do?!

Sure a marathon is great training for an IM. Isn't there one after that long cycle y'do?!
    I only remember crawling.

I only remember crawling.

I only remember you running off into the sunset :)

My 2c off a similar setup in 2010. Run comfortably to 16M at 3:45 pace. Keep 100m -200m ahead of the pacers so you're pacing steady but in your own space. I was happy at that mark in 2010 and pressed on carefully to 3:42:46 and finished with a smile on my face.

RedB wrote: »
    I only remember you running off into the sunset :)

My 2c off a similar setup in 2010. Run comfortably to 16M at 3:45 pace. Keep 100m -200m ahead of the pacers so you're pacing steady but in your own space. I was happy at that mark in 2010 and pressed on carefully to 3:42:46 and finished with a smile on my face.

And a Boston qualification in your pocket....except for that gender thing. ;)

And a Boston qualification in your pocket....except for that gender thing. ;)

:) and the age thing (then)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oryx, If you want to go sub 3:45 but don't want the hassle of a pace group just go in wave 1.
    The 3:45 group will be at the start of wave 2 so you will have a few minutes head start....

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Oryx, If you want to go sub 3:45 but don't want the hassle of a pace group just go in wave 1.
    The 3:45 group will be at the start of wave 2 so you will have a few minutes head start....
    I think I'm already assigned to a wave? I still don't know what I'm going to do but I'll start and see what happens.

Ran yesterday. Not stunning but the legs did have a nice bit of bounce on the hills. The two short runs earlier in the week had been the worst, felt sick and awful, so this was needed.

Swam and kettlebells (not at the same time ;) ) today just for somethin different to do.

Advertisement