Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oryx wrote: »
    I think I'm already assigned to a wave? I still don't know what I'm going to do but I'll start and see what happens.

Ran yesterday. Not stunning but the legs did have a nice bit of bounce on the hills. The two short runs earlier in the week had been the worst, felt sick and awful, so this was needed.

Swam and kettlebells (not at the same time ;) ) today just for somethin different to do.

Yeah if you put down your target as sub 3:45 you will be in wave 1.
    You are allowed to move back a wave but not forward so people targetting sub 3:45 are encouraged to go to the front of Wave 2.
    If you want to run your own race without the hassle of pacing groups then stick to wave 1 you will be fine. Just don't let us 3:45 pacers catch up to you ;), you should have about 3 minutes head start...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bless me father, for I have sinned. It has been 5 days since my last confession.

(catholicism is like hotel california. You can check out any time you like but you can never leave)

Anyhoo, another week is flitting by. It feels like I havent done much, but Ive been slogging away. Just swimming and running, yet again the bike is being ignored. Ill get back to it sometime.

Ran just over 7 miles yesterday evening, and it was ok. Legs felt lovely starting, but quickly stiffened and tired. However, when I saw a guy running ahead of me and went to catch up (as you do) I found that there was plenty of life in them. It must be all in my head.

Marathon? What marathon? Never have I felt so unprepared. :)

Another day, another run. 9.63 miles at my one and only pace. I'm slow, but hey, I'm consistent. Took 88 mins. I took another rest day yesterday, yet again body said Nah, and I couldn't train. And today was another sluggish one, but I have faith that I can grit my teeth and get it done on the day. Only a week now. I'm almost looking forward to it. Imagine, no swim and bike beforehand! Just gotta kick back this week, eat well, rest well, and listen to lots of motivational music. Then come out fightin. :)

I swam this morning. Just 45 mins of easy drills. I even risked the sniggers and wore my swim snorkel for the kicking just to make it easier. I am under strict instructions from my kb coach and mentor (who knows how crash bang wallop I am) not to do anything strenuous this week. So I better behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I can't work out if you are sand-bagging, or genuinely in the "suck-it-and-see" mode for this DCM attempt....

You've got the endurance, so if you've any speed work done, you might just surprise yourself.

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    I can't work out if you are sand-bagging, or genuinely in the "suck-it-and-see" mode for this DCM attempt....

You've got the endurance, so if you've any speed work done, you might just surprise yourself.
    Genuinely not sandbagging. I've had a very up and down few months and until I start the marathon and see how it feels I have no idea how its going to go. I'd love to think I'll have a Hollywood moment where it all comes right at the end (complete with triumphant music) but it will probably be messier than that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Best of luck with it either way. After your exertions during the summer there must be an element of 'ha, sure it's only a bit of a run'. Enjoy the day out whatever happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey chickie-mama!! A quick note to you to wish you an enjoyable marathon on Monday. I know you've not felt in your groove the past few months, but trust that all the quality work you put into preparing for your 14 to 15 hour IM is still with you and will stand to you for your 3 to 4 hour trot around Dublin. (Eh hem, please note - 14 to 15 hours vs. 3 to 4 hours.). If you determine that 3:30 isn't in the cards on the day, then go for the Boston qualifying time and put that in your pocket as a tidy little option for later. I think you're going to surprise yourself and do quite well (what's your PB?), but if nothing else, shake it up a bit and give the lads something to talk about!!! ;) Good mojo heading your way from across the pond. Woo hoo!! :D

Thanks Dory. You're the best.

I ran for a half hour last night but it wasn't very inspiring. Straight to bed after, I was pooped. Up early to swim today, and everyone in the club seemed to have the same idea. The lanes were crammed. I swam 50's in sets of four from easy to flat out, but in reality it was slow, slow, slow, fast-ish. Took lots of breaks.

Not a great session on any level, I was sleepy and my heart wasn't in it. One of them days. Might do one more run if I feel like it and that's it till 9am Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Good luck Monday, see you on the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Best of luck for Monday, I won't see you on the start line but i might catch a glimpse of the purple & gold on the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

See you on Monday, make sure you brush up well and make an effort otherwise i will be dissapointed:) Stick with me and I guarantee we will have a blast so much so i may actually forget my pacing duties.

See you on Monday, make sure you brush up well and make an effort otherwise i will be dissapointed:) Stick with me and I guarantee we will have a blast so much so i may actually forget my pacing duties.
    I'm getting my hair done specially :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Good luck Monday Oryx...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Don't listen to him Oryx, you're not trained for 3:30, you'll kill yourself from the stress. Is that really what you want? Is it?

Come aboard the 4:15 pacer groove train, we've packed a picnic, plenty of chunky fun to go round;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck on Monday missus. If I'm out on the course you'll see me at either mile 8 or mile 9 - have fun, this is probably the only race I prefer to Connemara.

Enjoy the day. Marathons are way more fun when you can whinge about not doing it fast enough afterwards. :D

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Don't listen to him Oryx, you're not trained for 3:30, you'll kill yourself from the stress. Is that really what you want? Is it?

Come aboard the 4:15 pacer groove train, we've packed a picnic, plenty of chunky fun to go round;)
    Reverse psychology? Hmmm? Hmmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Kurt Godel wrote: »

+1, the 4.15 train is definitely where DCM 2012 is at:D
    Between Digger's Big guns;) and Kurt's picnic, and you're already familiar with his charm and wit;) and Ankers'.... Well, I haven't met him yet but I'm sure he's amazing:) and then there's little old me:):)...... 4.15 all the way:D

Have a great day K whatever you decide to do:D

Marthastew wrote: »
    +1, the 4.15 train is definitely where DCM 2012 is at:D
    Between Digger's Big guns;) and Kurt's picnic, and you're already familiar with his charm and wit;) and Ankers'.... Well, I haven't met him yet but I'm sure he's amazing:) and then there's little old me:):)...... 4.15 all the way:D

Have a great day K whatever you decide to do:D

WHAT!!?? Marthastew, you get to pace with both Kurt AND Digger?? OMG....you must've thought you died and went to heaven when you heard your assignment. (and if Ankers is amazing...)

It all sounds very tempting, but then there's jb. My heart is torn. So I guess I'll have to stay somewhere in the middle. :)

• Advertisement

Registered and ready-ish and praying it is over 2 degrees at the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Doesn't matter, you'll fly it anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

The race is not on TV, darn. But good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Best of luck - didn't like the look of the 3.30 pacers on the expo stand, though...:)

Izoard wrote: »
    Best of luck - didn't like the look of the 3.30 pacers on the expo stand, though...:)
    Gah. Didn't even think to look for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck Oryx. Hope you have a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Enjoy tomorrow, i won't say good luck as its only a marathon;)

Rumor has it you are Boston qualified!!! Woo hoo!!! I don't have a clue if you PBed (my bet is you did because you rock!), but serious congratulations on a fine day out for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Well done Oryx. Once again I'm vanquished by your awesome powers! Sweet time and congrats on PB

• Advertisement

My legs hurt like buggery. :) 3.40.31 for the curious. Details later. I'm goin home to get drunk.

Advertisement