Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    Training is not good, Dory. Not good at all.

Ah, I hate to hear that...but I will hope that your definition of "not good" is actually "not too bad". I'm sure your perspective is a bit skewed because of all that IM training - so perhaps it's just comparatively speaking (volume of training) that makes you feel it's not good, when in fact it's marathon-good. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I've just had a bad few days and will be taking some time off.

PM me if you need anything. Hopefully you just need to hit the re-set button, but I am pretty good with pep talks. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Don't get downhearted, think of the what you have achieved in such a short time and the fun you have had along the way. Perhaps you are putting yourself under a bit too much pressure to perform and this may be having the opposite effect of what you want to achieve.

You are an ironwoman who has battled all of the elements to succeed, dont let a few bad days win. Take the few days out, enjoy your family etc and come back fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sorry to read this but good call. Rest up, clear the head. Refresh in your own good time.

• Advertisement

Spike Milligan has 'I told you I was ill' carved on his tombstone.

Thats kinda how my body has felt all week, the fading feeling Ive had for weeks came to a head in a pretty spectacular meltdown last weekend. So, for the week, I've been resting and wondering if I will ever feel normal again. I'm not sick, just worn out. All the signs point to low iron levels, which I'm taking a supplement for, as I am too tight to pay out to my doctor who doesn't understand the requirements of sports fitness anyway.

I tried a gentle run, which I can complete, but slowly, with a chilly sweat up my back. Its not good.

I have a 10k tomorrow which I am doing as its a charity gig and I cant get out of it. But it wont be pretty. As for the marathon, all bets are off. And whats worse, I dont even care.

Bring on the I-told-you-so's. I'm ready. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Oryx, you gave me some great advice on SBR thread:

You need an off season or you’ll burn out’

I took that advice on board (two weeks ago now). The result – need two more weeks off. Am so enjoying not being a slave to training, numbers, pace……

I have ruled out any medical issue and think a visit to G.P. maybe the best option for you. It may not be low iron levels. Hopefully something minor. You have had a remarkable season and your body needs an off season. Take care and please don’t be so hard on yourself. Go out and run free, smile and enjoy the 10km. Don’t beat yourself up for doing it or for not achieving the best result, that will come.

I was planning my off season for November but my body has other ideas. And to be honest I'm doctor phobic. For good reasons tho I know, I know. Youre right. Sigh.

Excellent advice by Shell to Run - and you defintely need and DESERVE some down time. I know I am teetering on the edge right now from not having a break in quite some time and I have promised myself to only run/swim/bike for fun in the 4 to 8 weeks after the marathon next weekend. I am not going to watch my pace...it will all be for enjoyment and adventure, and all at my leisure.

You mention the iron supplement. I, too, take an iron supplement....and have recently re-added a daily multi-vitamin and improved my diet because I was feeling like crap all the time. I figure garbage in, garbage out...so I have been off the M&Ms and junk, and eat more fruits and fresh vegetables plus added more carbs (potatoes) and protein (eggs and chicken) to my daily diet and I have to say I feel a thousand times better. Do not rule out seeing your doctor as that is the most sound advice, but evaluate a few things and make any changes you have in your control to make yourself healthier. :)

Aye Aye Sir. Already doing those things. Too late, granted. But still I'm doin em. I never want to feel like last Sunday again.

• Advertisement

Never too late. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sorry to hear you're not feeling the best Oyrx. Hope you have a good day at the 10k tomorrow. You've had an epic season, no wonder you are wrecked.

Oryx, since Austria which I must remind you had over a 20% dropout rate I feel that you have been hard on yourself over speed etc. You can feel very proud of yourself for finishing what will go down as one of the hardest days in IM.

Now it is time to switch off your competitive side for a bit and get yourself well again, do the odd event, spend some time doing light training and we look forward to having you back to 100% soon.

oh and remember: "you don't have to go fast, you just have to go" ;)

Thanks Brick. I kept that in mind for the run earlier. It was windy with pouring, sideways rain, so not ideal conditions, and a hilly course to boot. All set to be punishing. A totally local turnout so lots of familiar faces.

I kept it easy for the uphill start, and felt good for the first few Kms. Then we hit the hills which started with a long drag and built into some leg killing climbs. At about 7k I was pushing it a bit on a hill and my hr seemed to go a bit crazy and I got a wowzer of a dizzy spell, so had to keep that under control and relax a bit for the rest of it. Legs were tired for the latter half, and I am missing a lot of my oomph. I finished in 47.07 and that was as much as I'm capable of right now.

I'm happy I got it done without a disaster, in a time that is closer to what I know I can do. I need to run with a hrm for a bit so I can see what the palpitations are all about. But at least I'm not totally borked.

I'm happy I got it done without a disaster, in a time that is closer to what I know I can do. I need to run with a hrm for a bit so I can see what the palpitations are all about. But at least I'm not totally borked.

Yeah I think thats a good idea. I have only done a couple of runs since Hardman but I have stopped using the HRM, just want to run on feel for a little while. Enjoy your Sunday. Maybe try and get the feet up for a bit later on with a nice glass of wine and a bar of dairy milk. :D

Yeah I think thats a good idea. I have only done a couple of runs since Hardman but I have stopped using the HRM, just want to run on feel for a little while. Enjoy your Sunday. Maybe try and get the feet up for a bit later on with a nice glass of wine and a bar of dairy milk. :D
    You KNOW what I like :):)

You KNOW what I like :):)

Female & wine & chocolate = Bliss :D

10k in 47.07? I do believe that's faster than my PB. Sweet jesus, I hate to see what you are capable of when you're "on".

Dory Dory wrote: »
    10k in 47.07? I do believe that's faster than my PB. Sweet jesus, I hate to see what you are capable of when you're "on".
    It must be a while since you tried a 10k ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have a 10k tomorrow which I am doing as its a charity gig and I cant get out of it. But it wont be pretty. As for the marathon, all bets are off. And whats worse, I dont even care.

That's how I felt about vitruvian and DCM it's a sure fire sign you need a break I think. Assume you're still doing the marathon, just for the fun?

Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Advertisement

I've paid for the mara, I may as well get the goody bag.

I just heard I won female vet today. The joys of a small field. :)

I've paid for the mara, I may as well get the goody bag.

I just heard I won female vet today. The joys of a small field. :)

Life really does begin at 40

47.07 on a crap day?? And a win??? 4 weeks to marathon...pop those iron pills and shake off that down in the dumps attitude soldier.....get some extra sleep and enjoy running without worrying about the damn watch. Zero expectations, but embrace the race. You'll be more than grand....and you'll prob blow most of us away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

+1 on all the above. 47.07 is a time I would dream of being able to do some day. Fair play to you, that's some going when you're not feeling well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You should wear all your medals for the DM race. And start right up the front, you earned that right.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    +1 on all the above. 47.07 is a time I would dream of being able to do some day. Fair play to you, that's some going when you're not feeling well.

I'd take your off day performance anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

I wish my good races were as impressive as your bad races! :(

Ive not been posting here much because if people want to listen to a whine they can just watch xfactor audition videos.

Things are mixed middling as my granny used to say. Were back into the winter swim sessions, which are great. On Tuesday, we tried tumble turns. I tumble, but I dont turn. It just makes me hit the pool floor a lot. But I managed a few in the deep end this morning that went ok, I end up going the right direction eventually, probably because the pool floor is another four feet away so its harder to hit. Short swim distances this week, focus is on doing it right, rather than doing lots of it.

I havent been on my bike in 3 weeks, which is shocking. Shows which is my most hated discipline though! But they say you never forget, so hopefully this weekend Ill put things right on that score and get a bit of mileage in.

And running. Well, long sloooow runs are ok, they just wipe me out afterwards. But short fast runs are just not happening this week. Everything I try is very slow, very laboured, and very hard.

Fatigue is still my best friend but me, him and the sofa are getting along just fine. We invited Brad Pitt and Moneyball along last night and shared a bar of dairy milk. It was special.

So ends todays whinefest. Many more to follow. :)

Club 5k tt tonight (running). Gave a time of 23 mins and took off alongside two lads I know are solid runners. We stayed neck and neck the whole way, I think we dragged each other along, no room to slack off the pace at all. We only broke ranks for the sprint finish. Managed 22.25 for 5.2k which I'm dead happy about given the way things have been going. This running with other people lark is cool. :)

• Advertisement

Ive not been posting here much because if people want to listen to a whine they can just watch xfactor audition videos.

Things are mixed middling as my granny used to say. Were back into the winter swim sessions, which are great. On Tuesday, we tried tumble turns. I tumble, but I dont turn. It just makes me hit the pool floor a lot. But I managed a few in the deep end this morning that went ok, I end up going the right direction eventually, probably because the pool floor is another four feet away so its harder to hit. Short swim distances this week, focus is on doing it right, rather than doing lots of it.

I havent been on my bike in 3 weeks, which is shocking. Shows which is my most hated discipline though! But they say you never forget, so hopefully this weekend Ill put things right on that score and get a bit of mileage in.

And running. Well, long sloooow runs are ok, they just wipe me out afterwards. But short fast runs are just not happening this week. Everything I try is very slow, very laboured, and very hard.

Fatigue is still my best friend but me, him and the sofa are getting along just fine. We invited Brad Pitt and Moneyball along last night and shared a bar of dairy milk. It was special.

So ends todays whinefest. Many more to follow. :)

you took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

Impossible to get going with some regular training again.

Advertisement