Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You're an IronMan, numpty is not in your vocabulary.

And regarding your marathon training - I doubt very seriously that cutting today's run short by .8 of a mile will do any damage to your race day prep and performance. You have a HUGE training and endurance base you are working with, and running talent oozes out of your ears. You'll be grand. The head torch is an idea - I tried it and hated it, but you may find it's not so bad. Do you have a treadmill? If so, you could always get in a few miles before the sun comes up then scoot outside to finish up when it's light.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have a tready but I hate it. If you check my IM training you'll see I ran in a thunderstorm rather than use the thing. I don't know how you did those long sessions on one. Weirdly, a treadmill also seems to have a nasty effect on my tummy, no idea why. But another reason to hate it!

Today I did an early 45 minute xc sprint session. Then I did a short non wetsuit swim in the sea (with two seals and ten other crazy people). Then I did a 28k hard bike. Then, I got in the car and drove to do an ariel assault course fifty feet in the air, which took two hours to get around. The zip line at the end was cool tho. Now I am sunburnt and very tired. But hell of a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

When do you rest?

When do you rest?
    I've just sat down for the first time since 6am. So I think right about now. :)

• Advertisement

Yawn.

I went back to kettlebells last night, after a month off. Oh dear. It was not good. In spite of an 'easy' session (or so I was told) I suffered badly on things like squats and ALL the overhead stuff. Though a double arm (12kg each arm) military press x12 was always going to be a bit much for my puny shoulders to take. Ditto the double bench press.

Ah well. It can only get better. Oh, and I hurt really bad today. I missed that. :)

If you've got puny shoulders, nothing will do more for that "V" shape than laps and laps of butterfly!

Oh, and since you have officially transitioned from triathlon mode to marathon mode, I believe you are now dubbed Marathon Barbie. ;)

^^ do you notice any official transition to marathon training? Cos I don't. :) And I never learned butterfly.

Today I have doms so bad I'm lying down and it still hurts. :(

I got up to run after posting that ^ and it is a good job it was early and noone could see me. Painful legs mean you jog like a brokelegged chicken. Or at least I do.

A very slow session today, neither fast enough or long enough to count for much. My legs felt like I had been hobbled and I just couldnt pushi it. But there were blue skies and I had the Coronas singing softly in my ears so it was pleasant if nothing else.

And I am not Marathon Barbie. I'm more like one of those cheap imitation chinese dolls you get in the pound shop whose legs fall off if you play with them. (And all the guys are thinking of blow up dolls now)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Oryx wrote: »
    (And all the guys are thinking of blow up dolls now)

Yea - your now a mind reader aswell :D

• Advertisement

Double day today. Swim tonight. Just working away on my own. Did about 900m of mixed drills, then a series of 100m lungbusters, and finishing with a 300m sprint. (well, it was a sprint to me!) 2k total. Nice swim.

^^ do you notice any official transition to marathon training? Cos I don't. :) And I never learned butterfly.

Today I have doms so bad I'm lying down and it still hurts. :(

Do I notice any official transition to marathon training? Just that I have less pressure on me with swimming. I am now back to using swimming as a recovery, so no godawful pace clock keeping me honest at the moment. It's all happy times in the pool. ;)

I will say that my marathon training is different this time around - for the first marathon I ran more miles and stayed true to the official marathon plan. This time I was training for a triathlon for 8 or 9 weeks of the 16 week plan, am still cross training more than I did for the first marathon, and I'm not staying as true to the plan. We'll see how this translates. My legs feel as good as they have in a long time - running is hard on my body, especially my legs - but I know my mileage is way down. Just hope the quality is high and makes up for it. Time will tell.

I'm just not hitting my marathon schedule at all. Which is worrying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Will the 6 months of strict training for IM its hard for the mind and body to slip back into it for another event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

In my opinion a schedule is just a piece of paper. Maybe take a couple of days rest, go for a walk perhaps and nothing else. Get your head right and focused on the DCM and don't be wrecking your head over how slow you think you are in the pool or on the bike. They will be there to concentrate on after the DCM. That's what I would do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What's Marathon Barbie's target, anyway? I mean, you know you can knock one out, so dedicated training would only be dictated by specific targets?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What's Marathon Barbie's target, anyway? I mean, you know you can knock one out, so dedicated training would only be dictated by specific targets?
    I mentioned a target earlier but I have no clue if I'm near it. Current performance would indicate no.

I mentioned a target earlier but I have no clue if I'm near it. Current performance would indicate no.

Jeez, I'm too lazy to go trawling back through your log. I'll just assume it's 3:15.

I don't even want to mention it again cos I'm not good for it but it sure wasn't 3.15. So for now I'll settle for doin the distance and quit wrecking my head about times!

Ah, I'll just make the effort to read back then. At least you periodically insert pics of yourself covered in mud, to keep the research interesting.

But no more mentioning-time pressures. Gottit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

For what it's worth. Unless you've lost the ability to run full stop I don't see any reason why you can't still go for that time I thought you'd be able for. Still plenty of time. Are you going to do a half marathon or anything again before DCM?

Nothing on the cards except two charity 10ks which i kinda have to do. My xc training buddies are trying to get me to do hell and back mid October. So far I've managed not to enter it. Tho it would provide more photography for Kurt. :)

Nothing on the cards except two charity 10ks which i kinda have to do. My xc training buddies are trying to get me to do hell and back mid October. So far I've managed not to enter it. Tho it would provide more photography for Kurt. :)

Loath as I am to turn down the opportunity to gawp at more pics of dirty Oryx, I'm with RQ on this. With your endurance base, there's enough time to prepare for a marathon time you'll be proud of.

I tried out a short tempo run today. Just pushing that little bit harder. I didnt use my watch for pace, just went by rpe - conversation would have been difficult. :) My mind does tend to drift a bit and I slow down, that's something I need to work on. 6.75k in 34, including the warm up into it. Not spectacular, but at least it feels like the right kind of work.

Today was xc day, the usual weekend group thing. On the warmup/recce lap I felt like the effort was a bit high (it should not have been) and on the actual run (3 laps) I struggled all the way. Left for dead by a guy I can usually beat, and I had to work hard not to get passed by anyone else. As the run progressed I felt worse, till on the last loop around, my legs were totally cooked and I wanted to throw up. I walked up one steep incline that is always tough, but I can usually jog it. I dropped out early and even walked back to my car - I NEVER walk back to my car. Somethings up today, so all I can do is chill and start again tomorrow.

Whenever I have a session like that I always wonder if I've lost something....am I going backwards, getting slower? But don't you know, not too long after that depressing session I usually have another one that proves just the opposite. Funny how that works. Take it easy today (and make sure you're not getting sick), and you'll probably be better and tougher than ever tomorrow. :)

Ah yeah. I'm learning not to sweat about the bad days. The wheel will turn and I'll have a good day again. Anyway. I'm happy this evening. I brought a new baby home. Its small, and shiny and beautiful and I only hope I can ride it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ok, I'll assume it's a new bike before my imagination gets the better of me :)

Tell us more about it........

I can't post a pic but its a tiny argon 18 e112. Cosmic carbon wheels. I've never ridden an aero position and have a lot to get used to. Took a chance on the size as I never got a fit done, and it needs a bit of tweaking and a few bits and pieces. But I have a winter to play with it and get it moulded to me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oh I'm jealous, that's a nice bike. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement