Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I will be Brad Pitt so as we look similar.

Don't insult yourself, you're not that bad.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Took the beast out for a short spin tonight. It felt different. :) I couldn't manage the tri bars yet, but I knew that would be the case, I've never been a strong cyclist. Trying them was scary. In fact I think the only way I could be more unsafe on a bike is blindfold. This is gonna take work to master, but I'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Speaking of unsafe - I felt slightly terrified at times this past weekend knowing that my feet were clipped into the bike - terrified when going downhill, so I basically rode the brake the whole way (must check break pads...) - and terrified when trucks would honk when behind me on a highway and then speed by me. I think I feel in less control being clipped in, but I know I'm more powerful - I assume this feeling passes as I rack up the mileage. Also, what do you do in races at intersections when you have to watch for traffic? Do you stay clipped in and hope you don't have to stop? Or can you clip out super fast without panicking?

Clipping out becomes so natural you won't even have to think about it. But till then clip out as you come to intersections and leave your foot in position on the pedal and continue pedaling. During the summer I got what I thought was a wasp under my glasses, and in a panic I swerved off the road onto gravel. I was clipped out and standing before I even realised I had stopped. :)

Do you routinely clip out both feet or just one?

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Do you routinely clip out both feet or just one?
    Just one. (always the left foot)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just wondering where you got the Argon 18. Been eyeing up the Argon 18 E80 frame there a few 2011 models online going at good prices. Lovely looking bikes.

About the night time running I run on country roads as well and actually find it much safer than the day time. Cars actually slow down more and give you more space passing. I use this headtorch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-Trail-Runner-Running-Torch/dp/B00388PISK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1347444384&sr=1-1

and for a rear light clipped on an arm strap

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/4542/smart-lunar-r1-1-watt-rear-light-batteries-included-sale

They're both excellent lights and very bright. Some cars I've met have actually come to a stop, probably wondering WTF is this coming towards me at 11 o'clock at night.

I regularly cycle at night as well and find it quite safe though you'll need a better front light I also carry the headtorch handy as backup or if I need to change a tube. Much better than being on the turbo trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oryx wrote: »
    Just one. (always the left foot)

Starting off it might be better to unclip both feet when stopping, otherwise you might overbalance onto the unclipped side, especially if the surface is uneven - I'm speaking from experience here :D. Once you are more confident and can balance better with one foot clipped in then you could switch to removing one foot only.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Starting off it might be better to unclip both feet when stopping, otherwise you might overbalance onto the unclipped side, especially if the surface is uneven - I'm speaking from experience here :D. Once you are more confident and can balance better with one foot clipped in then you could switch to removing one foot only.

Good advice. Thanks!!!

griffin100 wrote: »
    The one time I fell off, that is what happened. In my haste I clipped out so violently on my left, that the bike keeled over to the right. :p

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Just wondering where you got the Argon 18. Been eyeing up the Argon 18 E80 frame there a few 2011 models online going at good prices. Lovely looking bikes.
    Thanks for the advice on the torches. If I can get over my reluctance to run on very isolated roads I might try it (but it isnt safe for more reasons than traffic, unfortunately).

I had been idly looking at secondhand bikes online, just researching really. I need a small frame, and they are not that common. This one just happened to come up, it suited, so I went for it. Taking a chance really, I only know the basics in terms of checking for issues.
    If only I could ride it now. I'm glad I have all winter to practice because its gonna be tough. If you have any advice for stability on a bike apart from training wheels I'll take that too!

Ran today. Just under 11k. Pushed it and for once it felt good. I'm still not up to the pace I want to reach, but its better. I felt strong today.

Swam 2k this evening. Again, a good session. I felt in control and relaxed, and that strong thing was still there. I love these kinds of days.

Nothing yesterday, life got in the way, and by the time the kids were asleep last night, I was pooped too and didnt bother with a planned turbo.

Did a short session this morning, and I hope to get something else done later in the day.

Got a sneaky swim in while my kids had lessons this evening. Not very long, 1k then a few short sprints but it felt grand.

The planned xc session was cancelled so I just did a run on my own. It should have been speedwork, fartlek or something but yet again my body decided 'I'm gonna give you bellyache and make you throw up if you do that to me' so today wasn't the day. I hate my digestive system. 11+ Kms. Nothing special.

20 miles in the bag. Finally. I needed to get one of those done. It took 3hr 10 and included a few short stops (including a work of mercy finding the owners of a lost pet rabbit and getting it taken off the road - Dory would be proud) I definitely feel it, and it doesn't bode well for my marathon time but hell, the legs are good and you just never know what race day will bring. I live in hope. I'm owed some good bunny saving karma now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

20 miles in the bag. Finally. I needed to get one of those done. It took 3hr 10 and included a few short stops (including a work of mercy finding the owners of a lost pet rabbit and getting it taken off the road - Dory would be proud) I definitely feel it, and it doesn't bode well for my marathon time but hell, the legs are good and you just never know what race day will bring. I live in hope. I'm owed some good bunny saving karma now. :)

I always ran LSR's at a pace such that 22miles would equal my marathon race time. I would think you're still looking good for your "shall not be mentioned" goal time, based on todays LSR time. Were you dying at the end, or was your pace dropping, or anything else giving you warning bells?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I always ran LSR's at a pace such that 22miles would equal my marathon race time. I would think you're still looking good for your "shall not be mentioned" goal time, based on todays LSR time. Were you dying at the end, or was your pace dropping, or anything else giving you warning bells?
    I thought you dropped in to comment on my rampant rabbit episode. :) I haven't looked at my splits and they won't tell me too much as there are some serious climbs in the second half. So I don't know if I slowed, but I felt ok at the end. Tired, but good for more miles. I seem to be able to run like that all day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I haven't looked at my splits and they won't tell me too much as there are some serious climbs in the second half. So I don't know if I slowed, but I felt ok at the end. Tired, but good for more miles. I seem to be able to run like that all day :)

Well all seems in working order then, I'd say you should take a lot of comfort from today's LSR.
    I thought you dropped in to comment on my rampant rabbit episode. :)

Sorry to disappoint, normal service shall be resumed promptly, you insatiable cottontail courtesan :)

• Advertisement

The bunny gods are smiling upon you. :)

The time of 3 hours and 10 minutes INCLUDES the breaks? Or is the 3:10 all running time?

The bunny gods are smiling upon you. :)

The time of 3 hours and 10 minutes INCLUDES the breaks? Or is the 3:10 all running time?
    Includes the breaks. Which were short. :) minute or two apiece I reckon.

Includes the breaks. Which were short. :) minute or two apiece I reckon.

Ahhhhh....I see. **nods knowingly** ;) You're gonna nail the crap out of this marathon.

Ahhhhh....I see. **nods knowingly** ;) You're gonna nail the crap out of this marathon.
    Thank you for the P.M.A. I will remember it at mile 21, as the pain kicks in and I hate the world. I will think: 'but Dory said it would be ok, dammit!' :)

Thank you for the P.M.A. I will remember it at mile 21, as the pain kicks in and I hate the world. I will think: 'but Dory said it would be ok, dammit!' :)

You're totally gonna nail it, you IronWoman-Triathlete-Marathon Barbie you! :D

Got some excellent swim coaching yesterday, very helpful. Showed me just how broken my stroke is, now lets see if I can fix it!

Kettlebells yesterday evening. Murderous set, I think the coach was releasing his frustrations or something. :). Have moved up to a 16kg for some moves, I want to improve my strength over the winter season.

Rest day today. But I did venture to the pool just to remind my brain what I was taught yesterday, as advised. I also got a swim snorkel, as advised, so now I look even more of a useless dork in the pool than normal. But it does make kicking drills much more consistent. Is that worth looking idiotic? I really don't know.

A short sharp speed session this morning. 800s (well, half mile) with a one minute rest between each. I did 5. My speed was ok, but by the last one I felt like I was running through water, my legs were shot. It wasnt that my lungs couldnt cope, but my legs simply would not move any faster. It reminded me of my IM marathon. I didnt get to puke stage, but it did hurt. To the point that a guy walking his dogs stopped and asked me was I ok while I was doing my rest bit mid session.

The garmin is not 100% accurate on pace, but with a 1 mile warmup and a half mile cooldown, I did 4.3miles in 32.5 mins not including rests. Not fantastic at all, but at least I did it because I HATE intervals.

So...how's the training coming along?? You got your shoes all sorted for the big race? I remember I started thinking I needed new runners a few weeks out from my last (and only) marathon and even purchased a new pair, but I did resist wearing them after (I think) Raycun reminded me how foolish that would be. Of course I am thinking I need new runners.....
    I'm also thinking we need to answer the 17 year old boys' photos over on JB's thread with some of our own.

So....how's the training coming along? ;)

• Advertisement

Training is not good, Dory. Not good at all.

Advertisement