Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    My first rest day in weeks. And its lovely out! This sucks :)

What are they? :confused:

Good luck tomorrow. Hope you're carb loading on cake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

My first rest day in weeks. And its lovely out! This sucks :)

Yes it does. Wait until post IM recovery hits. I'll be watching you like a dog.
    Izoard wrote: »
    You are going to be an Ironman - swim kicking is just a waste of energy:).

+1 on this. It's all about the upper body.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I tried to tell the coach that but he was having none of it. But he does his first tri in a few weeks. That'll learn him. :) Am carb loading on greasy chips. Such a athlete :)

The very best to you for tomorrow. I know you're sort of using this as a training run, but I bet you will have a very good day and may surprise yourself. Your training has been savage, and it may start paying you a few early dividends. Sounds like you're going to have lots of boardsie company. Enjoy! :)

As usual, Dory was right. I did surprise myself with a 3 minute pb. 1.38.46 by my watch. Really great course, helped by knowing every inch of it. Also met some fine fit looking boardsies. Hi guys! *waves*.

Straight to the pool afterwards for a 1500m loosen out. Am a happy bunny today, Nowt left to do but siddown for the day.

• Advertisement

Awesome, awesome, awesome. You are right on target to kill this IM you got going on in Austria July 1. SOOOO happy for you. Your hard work is paying off....as it should. YOU ROCK!!!!!! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

1.38.46 by my watch. Really great course, helped by knowing every inch of it. Also met some fine fit looking boardsies. Hi guys! *waves*.

Great time, well done. Nice to meet you at the start. I had a feeling we would only be seeing you before the race.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great time, well done. Nice to meet you at the start. I had a feeling we would only be seeing you before the race.
    I really really didn't want to see you during the race. :) You were even too damn close at the turnaround! Nice to meet you guys too, even tho twas only brief.

Well done Oryx. Great running.

You really should consider doing a fall marathon. (maybe you already are?) You are getting in the shape of your life, and I would imagine 3 to 4 months between an IM and a marathon is sufficient recovery. I have no idea what your PB marathon time is, but you will smash it. Just my opinion...... ;)

• Advertisement

Am planning to do Dublin in Oct. If all else goes well. My one and only marathon time is 3.59. It would be nice to shave a bit off that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Great running Oryx.

For training/racing consistency yours log and training has to be up there. I reckon you're going to become the new voice in my head every time I want to slow down/miss a session... "Would Oryx be taking this easy?..." :D

Am planning to do Dublin in Oct. If all else goes well. My one and only marathon time is 3.59. It would be nice to shave a bit off that :)

With a half marathon time like that, now. I'd fully expect you to break 3:30.

I had about a half a dozen boardsies in my head telling me to dig in and push harder. I thought if they can suffer like they do, so can I :)

With a half marathon time like that, now. I'd fully expect you to break 3:30.
    Oh bugger. :)

Oh bugger. :)

My best advice to you is: check the elevation map first!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

As usual, Dory was right. I did surprise myself with a 3 minute pb. 1.38.46 by my watch. Really great course, helped by knowing every inch of it. Also met some fine fit looking boardsies. Hi guys! *waves*.

Straight to the pool afterwards for a 1500m loosen out. Am a happy bunny today, Nowt left to do but siddown for the day.

It was great to briefly meet you at the start, Dory had asked me to chat incessantly to you on the way round but you were way too fast for us! Well done on a super result, you’re in great shape.
    PS, I’m assuming I was one of those fit boardsies:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    It was great to briefly meet you at the start, Dory had asked me to chat incessantly to you on the way round but you were way too fast for us! Well done on a super result, you’re in great shape.
    PS, I’m assuming I was one of those fit boardsies:)
    Of course! And well done on the pacing. Dunno how you guys get it so spot on. Listening to you talk about races, youre all so precise.. 'In that race I was running 3.30 pace when.. ' :)

I was supposed to do a long bike today. But my body really didn't want to, yesterdays run could be felt more than expected. For some odd reason the turbo seemed a more attractive prospect, I wanted a head down, zone out session. Over two hours later it wasn't feeling so great but got some kind of a solid session done anyway. 2 hrs 15 in z2.

Did kettlebells as usual last night. Again, my focus was missing, I kept messing up some of the more complex moves. And during the 25 pushups we did I just wanted to curl up in a foetal positon and rock quietly. :)

Body is sore today, pretty much everywhere. I havent ached this much in ages, but then again, I havent tried that hard in ages (Sunday) either.

This is week 21 of 30. First of the peak phase. 7 weeks of training, 3 weeks of taper to go. I'm feeling pretty good, but a little nervous of the toughest weeks in the plan which are facing me now. Home life is fraught enough, this will put an immense amount of pressure on an already busy situation. This week I have Joey Hannan, so I will miss another long bike this weekend. But still plenty of time to get the distance cycles in.

Am looking forward to it and dreading all it in equal measure. But still keeping in mind that this is not about one day, but about the whole shebang that gets you there, which youve got to enjoy or theres no point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on your PB Oryx. know how the aching feels when you have pushed further than before :rolleyes: Looks like I'll make it down for Joey afteralll but just as a spectator as I'm too late to enter. I'm going to enjoy he bordie spotting for a change :D Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Well done on your PB Oryx. know how the aching feels when you have pushed further than before :rolleyes: Looks like I'll make it down for Joey afteralll but just as a spectator as I'm too late to enter. I'm going to enjoy he bordie spotting for a change :D Best of luck with it

I don't know about you Oryx, but I'm reading this as an invitation to a carb loading meal on Saturday night and the promise of cake at the finish line. What time do you want us all round on Saturday MCOS??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I don't know about the Cake at the finish but I have no problem feeding a few boardies on Sat night. It would be late though. 4 pm Cirque du Soleil at the O2, then take the young fella for pizza and then drive back to Limerick. I could whip up a round of Risotto or Roast Veg Coucous in 30 mins though :)

I don't know about the Cake at the finish but I have no problem feeding a few boardies on Sat night. It would be late though. 4 pm Cirque du Soleil at the O2, then take the young fella for pizza and then drive back to Limerick. I could whip up a round of Risotto or Roast Veg Coucous in 30 mins though :)

Didn't realise cirque was here again. Would be awesome to see that, not going at those prices though. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Am looking forward to it and dreading all it in equal measure. But still keeping in mind that this is not about one day, but about the whole shebang that gets you there, which youve got to enjoy or theres no point.

.....and its important not to loose sight of this ;)

Club swim session tonight. I already knew there would be a 1500 tt tonight but like I said a few weeks ago that distance doesn't bother me as much as the shorter ones. I'm built for comfort, not for speed. :) Coach was doing his best 'bad cop' impression, trying to goad us into working hard. Pep talk and warm up over, off we went.

It took me about ten lengths to settle into it, I had started at the back but at that point I got past one of the guys. (we were banned from letting others through, if you wanted to get past you had to swim past/over/under - no manners in a race). I know I slowed a bit in the second half in spite of pushing on, but yer man couldn't catch me at least. :) When I finished the coach didn't say anything but once he cracked a rare smile I knew I'd done ok. Over a minute faster than my pb, and nearly two minutes faster than the last tt. Finally, progress. I'm still slower than most, but at least its moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice PB. Well done. Best of luck this weekend.

The stormy weather woke me early this morning, which was just as well, I had to do an early turbo. One hour, 10 mins w/u, 10 mins single legs, then pushing up through the gears two or three mins per gear, and back down again. Then a 5 min cool down.

I know, I know, Im avoiding high cadence stuff AGAIN. And you always avoid the stuff thats hard, when its what you should concentrate on. I will do that session tomorrow. Promise.

6 degrees and raining this morning. Lovely weather for a run. I didnt have lovely legs for a run though. Had to run this one pretty slowly, especially the last few kms. I have a niggly muscle strain that I hope isnt going to turn into anything. Will get Joey out of the way then see the physio next week if its still a bug. (too late to get anything done now).

10.85k in 61 mins, which included two stops to massage my leg.

• Advertisement

Well a promise is a promise, so I did my high cad session this evening. Tho it was short cos I had a late start (kids!). 50 mins total including wu and cd. Better than nothin!

Advertisement