Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm cramping randomly just about everywhere.

Ah yes, cramping in unusual places at inopportune moments is certainly something I've had to get used to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm currently 56kg. Jaysis. Almost half your weight. Maybe my ma has a point :)

And I agree, 12 hours isnt tough anymore. Its just normal. Doing less would seem weird.

It would have been half my weight a few weeks ago! I could make an excuse that I'm 6ft 4" but unless your 3ft 2" it doesn't hold :o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

griffin100 wrote: »
    Ah yes, cramping in unusual places at inopportune moments is certainly something I've had to get used to ;)
    Stop putting BAD pictures in my head. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I always considered it a complement when your told your too tin, its a true sign your getting fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BennyMul wrote: »
    I always considered it a complement when your told your too tin, its a true sign your getting fit.

The trick then is to grab whatever fat you can find and jiggle it "nah I could do with losing this, look"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The trick then is to grab whatever fat you can find and jiggle it "nah I could do with losing this, look"

That would probably involve grabbing another person in Benny's case (e.g. me at our club pool session :rolleyes:). He's a lean machine already :cool:

56kg Oryx :eek: - I didn't think the scales went that low :D. However I didn't think the alarm clock setting went as low as it does also but I'm learning otherwise :) I hope you'll still be strong enough to drag me over the IMAT finish line when you spot me on your warmdown....after your massage....after your dinner....Those kettlebells ought to be good for something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Maybe yer mum needs to have you over for a few more home cooked free meals? ;)

Of course I had to do the conversion - 123 pounds. How tall are you?

I'm 5' 6". So not emaciated. I was lighter than this from the training i did my first time doing tough guy. :)

RedB wrote: »
    That would probably involve grabbing another person in Benny's case (e.g. me at our club pool session :rolleyes:). He's a lean machine already :cool:

56kg Oryx :eek: - I didn't think the scales went that low :D. However I didn't think the alarm clock setting went as low as it does also but I'm learning otherwise :) I hope you'll still be strong enough to drag me over the IMAT finish line when you spot me on your warmdown....after your massage....after your dinner....Those kettlebells ought to be good for something!
    You are rocking the training and much faster than me right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

You are rocking the training and much faster than me right now. :)

Sounds like smack talk to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Sounds like smack talk to me!

Reverse smack talk is all we're getting up to around here :D......unless.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RedB wrote: »
    Reverse smack talk is all we're getting up to around here :D......unless.....:rolleyes:

Bloody killing each other with compliments so you are:)

Bloody killing each other with compliments so you are:)
    Were just saving it up. Come the start line on race day we will be squaring up to each other like sumo wrestlers. :)

I'm 5' 6". So not emaciated. I was lighter than this from the training i did my first time doing tough guy. :)

Actually, you are about perfect for a female triathlete. The two calculations I use as a general yardstick (for women) is....100 pounds for the first 5 feet, plus 5 pounds for every inch after that, minus 5 - 10%.....AND/OR.....weight divided by height in inches, and you want the result to be between 1.8 and 2. For the first calculation, your weight would be between 123.5 and 117 pounds (you are 123 pounds)....and the second calculation you are 1.86. I say you are one fit chickie!!! :)

Jaysus by your calculations I need to lose a lot of weight. :D

You pacing Sunday RQ?

Ran 10k last night. Felt ok. Not fast 52 mins. As usual speed has deserted me. Turbo this morning. Up thru hard gears 3 mins per gear no rest interval. Gritted teeth session.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Me too. :eek:

Me too. :eek:

Okay, okay, okay......it's also VERY acceptable to be within zero to 10% of the weight calculation (100 pounds at 5 feet plus 5 pounds for each additional inch), so no worries there (and a wee bit more could be right for you - we are all different in what works best for each of us). Hope that helps ladies!!! :)

You pacing Sunday RQ?

Nope. I was pacer coordinator. Would still like to make it down and maybe run the half at about 1:45 pace. Don't think I'll make it though. :(
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Okay, okay, okay......it's also VERY acceptable to be within zero to 10% of the weight calculation (100 pounds at 5 feet plus 5 pounds for each additional inch), so no worries there (and a wee bit more could be right for you - we are all different in what works best for each of us). Hope that helps ladies!!! :)

Haha no worries. I'm only 5'2'' and a couple of pounds heavier than Oryx but if I lost the weight that would fit me into your equation I'd lose half my muscle mass. Could do with dropping a bit of body fat but I wouldn't want my swimming to deteriorate so can't be doing that. :D

• Advertisement

Aha! So I can blame my weight for my pathetic swimming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

If high weight or body fat made a good swimmer, then I'd be heading to London this summer and cleansweeping golds for Ireland in the games. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I once read somewhere that people with higher body fat float better because fat is less dense than muscle. It's probably rubbish but it makes me feel better when I see some very overweight people glide up and down my local pool while I struggle along :D

Speaking of struggling along, this morning swim coach was trying to get me to adjust my kick and it just wasn't working. I can think about my arms OR I can think about my feet. I just can't think about both at the same time. So I think his lovely efficient technique is going to take some time to master. With all the kick related chatter it was a short swim today. 1800.

I channelled my inner Dory tonight, spinning away happily on my turbo listening to the best music. I drew the line at watching sport, I don't think I'll ever go that far. 55 mins at a handy z1/z2 effort. Bliss.

I channelled my inner Dory tonight, spinning away happily on my turbo listening to the best music. I drew the line at watching sport, I don't think I'll ever go that far. 55 mins at a handy z1/z2 effort. Bliss.

If you ever come over here and visit me, I'm taking you to a professional hockey game and you will LOVE it!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    If you ever come over here and visit me, I'm taking you to a professional hockey game and you will LOVE it!! :D
    Jesus, that sounds like a threat! :)

Jesus, that sounds like a threat! :)

Nah...a threat would've sounded like this...."....and you will LOVE it DAMMIT!!". ;)

My first rest day in weeks. And its lovely out! This sucks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Speaking of struggling along, this morning swim coach was trying to get me to adjust my kick and it just wasn't working. I can think about my arms OR I can think about my feet. I just can't think about both at the same time. So I think his lovely efficient technique is going to take some time to master. With all the kick related chatter it was a short swim today. 1800.

You are going to be an Ironman - swim kicking is just a waste of energy:)

sounds like things are boiling up nicely for you - I think you'll be flying come the Double Oly.

Advertisement