Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done today! You're hubby is one tough cookie - sounds like a keeper!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done today! You're hubby is one tough cookie - sounds like a keeper!
    Normally he hates the amount of training I do. I did wonder if this was an attempt at reverse psychology that backfired. :)

Its a strange feeling to train while feeling sleepy tired. I blame the lost hour yesterday. In for a swim this morning. At every break I kept wanting to rest my head on the pool deck and close my eyes for a minute. :) I knew the body wasn't up for epic distance today so I plugged away at 100m drills; kick, catch up etc, working on my weak points which are my kick and the last part of the stroke. Once I got past 1500 in total I kept it going as a straight swim. I ended up doing 2550 total. More than expected.

Kettlebells this evening woke me up. Good hard session but a bit of craic going on too. A cruel core session at the finish with ten non stop minutes of work. Pull ups and dips to finish. We are a competitive lot, everyone trying to beat everyone else till the numbers get silly and we're all weak from the effort. Fun.

I deliberately missed my turbo set this morning. My body was aching and I hadn't slept well because of a lingering cough. Its not cos I is a wuss. I swear. :)

Yet more swimming tonight. Before the swim we had 2 x minute sets of pushups. I managed 36 and 35. Christ but it hurt. The swim was 4 x 25 warm up. Then sets of 100s with 10 sec rest. The idea was to see how many we could do in the time, and last time we did this 6 weeks ago I had done 21. The three of us in the lane were evenly matched and we shared the lead out. We all did 20 sets. Was a bit meh about that till the coach mentioned that the time allowed was 7 mins shorter than before. So a bit of a result. :) Good session, 2250 including swim down. Am pleased that this felt ok after the swim yesterday and the hard kb set. I just hope I don't bomb tomorrow like I did last week!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    I deliberately missed my turbo set this morning. My body was aching and I hadn't slept well because of a lingering cough. Its not cos I is a wuss. I swear. :)

Sometimes it's reasons, not excuses. :)

What a glorious day. I couldnt just do a turbo set today, it would have felt like sacrelige to waste such a lovely morning. So I went for an hour run instead. It was chilly to start but I kept running through these delicious pockets of warm air which were like the first hint of summer. :) My legs were heavy and I could feel the physio's thumbprints from the session I had yesterday, but otherwise the body felt good.

Im mildly fascinated at the effect that all this training is having, physically. I'm getting abs. And biceps. That makes me laugh. Years of pushups situps and crunches, and who knew that 17 weeks of an IM plan is all it takes. :) Doubtless Ill turn to putty again once I take the pressure off!

Turbo this mornin while looking out at the sun. No time to get out for a ride so this had to do. One hour, involving spinups, one leg and then out the saddle intervals, one min, then two etc totalling 16 mins of work, about 10 recovery.

In other news, my ancient pc just died and when I opened it up a cable had a date on it.. 29th march 2004. It died on its birthday, how weird is that?

Very weird. Hmmm.....our state lottery here is worth over a half billion dollars right now and the next drawing is tomorrow night. I may have to buy a ticket with those numbers on it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

In other news, my ancient pc just died and when I opened it up a cable had a date on it.. 29th march 2004. It died on its birthday, how weird is that?

Wow that's really freaky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Bally8 wrote: »

Wow that's really freaky!

If you win the billion lottery any chance you'd pay off the Irish national debt so I don't have to pay this household tax by Saturday!!!

In better other news my car just passed its NCT. Makes up for the deceased computer just a little. :)

As the NCT was finished quicker than I thought I managed to get a sneaky run in this evening. Just 40 minutes but better than nothing. Brings my week back on track.

I'm becoming obsessed with numbers and targets and heartrates and hours and distances. I count swim lengths in my sleep. Triathlon does wonders for your mental arithmetic. :)

Swim. No drills just a straight up swim with a few stops to be sociable. Today was one of those clumsy days when it feels like I never even learned to swim. Technique was all over the place. I swam like a drunk, even veering into the lane rope more than once. Thankfully either noone noticed or they were all too polite to say. :) 2100 in 55 mins. Ho hum.

Saturday
    Straightforward run. 10.8k, just under an hour. Felt grand, not much to say, just regular training fodder.

Sunday
    Up ridiculously early to head to the beach for a sandy sprint time trial. 400m lap, 5mins to see how many times you can get around in the soft sand. I felt awful with tum issues but was about 50m better than the last test. Horrid test tho, I bloody hate it. The session continued with xc laps through the woods. That bit I enjoyed. 50 mins total time.

Back to town to start my main set of the day, long bike. Had planned a rough route which I knew was somewhere over 80k. I felt strong starting out and made good time for the first 50k. After that I was into the wind more but tried to keep the pace up. Only really felt sluggish towards the end and I did enjoy this ride. I remember asking last year how to cure the boredom of long rides and the answer was 'work harder'. I'm finding out this is true, once I get my head down and work I don't notice the time at all. 89.5k in 3 hours 45. Not amazing but that time includes a few stops. The biggest thing is I felt fine finishing this, and could have run (but didn't I needed to get home!)

Week 17 ends about 25 mins over target time. Swim was up. Run bang on target. Bike was down. Kbs made up the difference. Feeling good and looking forward to next week.

Nice work! You are one tough lady!

All I knew going to the pool today was that I planned a long swim. Only one other (very courteous) swimmer in the swim lane. Great. Started with 500 wu. Then 300 kicking drills because I hate them so they must be good. Then 600 paddle and pull. After that I just got stuck into a straight swim. I'm trying to crank up the numbers now, just so that mentally, I know I can do it. Once I got to 3k I did a bit of backstroke to ease out my shoulders (left one gives me gyp). 3250 total in 100 mins. My longest swim yet. In January the longest I'd ever swam was 2.1k. So I think its building ok, for a pleb.

I did the last kb session of the term tonight and it was mental. We had to do 30 reps of ten moves. So 300 overall. The moves were
    Pressups
    Military Press
    Double arm swing
    Single arm swing
    Cleans
    Press
    Squat
    Bent over row
    Deadlift with high pull
    and one I can't even recall right now!

It was tough but not as hard as I had expected. We did snatches and some other stuff that took more out of me. During one move where you had to kneel when in press position I felt my back twinge. It was already aching from the swim so probably weak. Kept going but mindful of it. Hope its nothing to worry about. Finished the set with a 3 min plank. Except one or two of us didn't stop. More of this competitive ****e :) Got to four and a half mins before quitting. Coach beat me dammit! Pull ups and dips at the end just to make sure absolutely everything hurts tomorrow. :)

Fingers crossed the back is only muscle fatigue. Body don't fail me now!

Thankfully I had no back issues today. :) I yet again skipped any early morning session. Body is usually so whacked after kbs any training is not going to be worth much. So I saved it for tonights swim.

Word to the wise: never trust your coach when he promises an easy session. Theres ALWAYS a catch. Tonights catch was the 100m tt he casually threw into the session. He expects balls out effort and these short tts kill me. I'm not built for speed, give me a 1500 tt any day of the week! But sure I gave it a lash. My last one was a pathetic 1.51 and my pb is 1.47 (yeah I know I swim like a rock). Last time I burnt out by 50m so this time I tried to pace it better, so I could finish strong. I laughed my socks off when he told me I had managed a pb by one second! :) Am well pleased tho coming off the back of a hard day yesterday. Didn't think I'd get close.

give me a 1500 tt any day of the week!.

I may have to remind you of that at some point. ;)

(nice work on the swimming!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

We did snatches and some other stuff that took more out of me.

Reminds me of the quote when commentator David Coleman was at an Olympic Ladies weight lifting competition - "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

Training looks to be going really well for you and whenever I've missed a few sessions and read your log I feel suitably guilty. When's the next race?

• Advertisement

Because Eoin Ryan is a very nice man I should have an entry to the wexford half mara on the 22nd. The week after that its Joey Hannan Oly. And I've got to admit, my snatch is a bit weak. But my bent over row and swinging more than make up for it. ;)

I turboed this morning. Same ol same ol. 72 mins most of which were spent sweating. The rest was spent trying to find an annoying creaking sound on the bike. And thankfully it turned out to be the saddle and not my knees. :)

Got a spare hour this evening while no 1 was doing football, so I took a jog around town. Sweet Jesus but it was cold. It took ages to warm up, my first two Kms were 5.4mins simply because I was so stiff with cold! Once the body temp came up so did the speed, marginally. 9k in 49 mins. A very enjoyable plod. Even when my run coach drove by, shouting out the window that I was going too slow. :)

I went to bed early last night. I slept like a log. So why do I feel so sleepy right now that all I want to do is curl up and snooze?

Did some sleep-turbo earlier. High(ish) cad session. I struggle so hard with this set. 100 rpm does not come naturally to me and to be honest I didn't maintain it much. Was more like 95 most of the time. Did 5 mins higher effort towards the end. I'd love to be all precise and say it was 87.25% of LTR and I put out power of blahdiblah but stats are not my forte either. It remains to be seen how well my non technical approach will work come D day. :) I don't plan to wear a heart strap on the day as I think it might only give me one more thing to fixate on. I reckon I'll race better by feel than by hooking myself to the numbers.

Early swim set. One of those days.. I could feel how tired my quads were as I walked across the pool deck to get in. :) I swam this as a straight set because I had neither the time nor the motivation to work out a proper set. Coach was in the pool working with the sharks on some trick kicking technique. I didn't ask to join in because it seemed to require the ability to adjust your kick stroke. I'm still at the stage where I struggle to keep the arms and legs going at the same time at all! As soon as I mess with my flutter kick rhythm it all goes to pot. I will have to work on that eventually though. I just don't know if now is the best time to screw with the limited technique I have.

2050 covered today which may not sound much but seeing as I was ready to bail at 500 and I had to grind this out, I'm ok with it.

Another day, another early training session. The theme for this week seems to be 'train while still half asleep'. No matter how much sleep I get, the body wants more. :)

Ran this morning. A hilly 13.6k in 73 mins. My legs felt like I was in the last stage of a HIM, heavy and tired. I tell myself this is normal.. This is what you expect to feel at this point.. so htfu and get on with it :)

Plan for today was a four hour bike and/or to hit 100km. Started out slightly later than I would have liked and a bit more hungover than I would have liked too. :) My legs felt heavy but the miles had to be done. Thankfully it was dry and cool. Perfect bike weather. :)

First section was into the wind but I thought once I changed direction after 25k I would get a break but no. Weather is weird and about 70% of the route was battling the breeze. The last 10k was the toughest bit, all uphill into that incessant wind. Total 103.7k in 4hrs 19. Felt fine finishing and enjoyed the ride. So even if I'm still slow I'm not trashed which is something.

Hours for this week were a half hour over target. Bike and swim up. Run way down. That needs fixing!

Great going Oryx. I had the same idea today, didn't realise how windy it was till I turned around to come home and had the wind behind me. :eek: I was so pissed off with my slowness on the way out I ended up only doing 3 hours though. ;)

I was repeating Dorys advice in my head, that the wind was a great training tool. You probably did the same distance anyway lol.

I was repeating Dorys advice in my head, that the wind was a great training tool. You probably did the same distance anyway lol.

Did I feck. About 3/4s of it. :pac:

• Advertisement

And I've done nothing today but eat Oreo cookies and feel this let down from being so focused for 16 weeks. Oh, and I spent about 3 hours working on my race report only to try and copy and paste it to my log and have it look like crap. Will retype the entire thing later this evening directly to my thread. Good god today sucks. I think I would have preferred to be out biking with you ladies - wind and all. :(;)

Advertisement