Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Early swim this morning. No drills or anything because I wasnt awake enough. Straight swim of 2k planned. At 1950, coach, who was on the pool deck, stopped me and said 'right, I need a 100m tt. Off you go'. (I had vaguely noticed the others were going off in stages, but thought I was being left to do my own thing.) I think my dirty look to him was obvious even behind the goggles. Nothing for it but get going and swim it, but I did hold a bit back at least for the first 50, by trying to power my arms rather than burst a lung, which I only did in the last 25. Ended up 10 seconds off my best pace, which is pathetic but I really didnt try, if Im honest.

2100 today, bringing me a squeak closer to my swim green.

In other news, (I had forgotten) I got into the prizes in the half mara, somehow. Second in the vet category. Woo hoo. Nice one Eoin. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on the half prize!! Woo hoo!! And I've been noticing you nearing the green in the swim - you go girl!! And you're inching ever higher up the SBR ladder. I'm cheering you on - and with your peak training getting ready to hit, you're gonna blow us all away!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Congrats on the half prize!! Woo hoo!! And I've been noticing you nearing the green in the swim - you go girl!! And you're inching ever higher up the SBR ladder. I'm cheering you on - and with your peak training getting ready to hit, you're gonna blow us all away!! :D
    I wont blow you away, lol. Your pool is now OPEN!!!!!

And one of the guys was asking how the training was going.... said it was ok, so he asks 'and the 150km rides, how are you finding them?' Eh, what 150km rides? I havent done any yet.... Cue a confused smile from him, as he thinks 'she aint taking this seriously!'.

Oryx wrote: »
    And one of the guys was asking how the training was going.... said it was ok, so he asks 'and the 150km rides, how are you finding them?' Eh, what 150km rides? I havent done any yet.... Cue a confused smile from him, as he thinks 'she aint taking this seriously!'.

Proof is in the pudding. He'll see how freakin' serious you've taken this when you come across the finish line in one piece and with a more than respectable time in your pocket. Cue the confused smile from him then. ;)

• Advertisement

Proof is in the pudding. He'll see how freakin' serious you've taken this when you come across the finish line in one piece and with a more than respectable time in your pocket. Cue the confused smile from him then. ;)
    Well I did decide to play the blonde card after that, when another chap mentioned that it was the run thats the hard bit anyway. Told him 'sure thats just a wee jog at the end, Im not worried about that at all!' Keep em guessing. :p

Another quick and dirty turbo session last night. Just a steady spin while listening to Seasick Steve, of all things. This was a handy enough session just to ease out the legs out before Sunday. Legs do feel heavy today, lets just hope they get a bit of spring in em before the race!

Smash it tomorrow. I think I've heard it's a sprint (?), so give the swim a good lashing, then the rest will be a cake walk for you. :)

I'm doing the Oly. First time in a 50m pool too! Will give it a lash. :)

A 50 meter pool is slightly more taxing on the system than a 25 meter/yard pool, so pace well, STAY RELAXED and don't freak if you are a bit more tired than you normally are for that distance. No worries for you - you'll do great!

• Advertisement

Well. That was a saga. Sick last night. Wrecked this morning. Not a good start to the day.

Did a few lengths to warm up, the 50m pool was nothing to worry about, I quite liked it. But the congestion was awful. I was on top of other swimmers to the point of walking about five times. It never really got sorted so a disappointing 35 min swim. It was freezing and blowing a gale outside so a two min transition to get a jacket on.

The bike started well in spite of gusting high wind which made the going tough. But at 25k I had my first ever puncture.. to the front, thankfully. I've never had to fix one before so new territory here. Had a bit of a kerfuffle with the gas but the pump saved the day. Lost about 12-13 mins and was disheartened continuing on. Bike split was a woeful 95 mins. But what can ya do? The wind nearly blew me off on the way back. Tough conditions, but at least no rain.

A minute and a half got me thru t2, and I felt good starting the run (probably cos of the little rest mid-bike :) ). Ran the first half in 25 and 24 for the second so am delighted with a negative split even if the time needs work!

Official finish time of 3.04 but I take consolation from the fact that I know I'm better than that, but today wasn't my day to get it in the results. Lets just hope I am spared any more mechanicals for a while!

The race itself was efficient, well run, no frills or mollycoddling, and the best race tshirt I ever got. But I need to let the memories of issues and the godawful long drive to it fade before contemplating it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Thought that was you punctured as I past. Giant bike Easton wheels and a marshall in tow?! Rotten luck. Good to see you got on with it and finished well.

Horrible, and bloody scary out there on the bike. Don't think I've ever raced on a nice calm day!!

The marshals always stop for helpless girlies. He didn't help tho. Just freaked me out that I'd fckd up the valve. (I hadn't) :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My biggest fear in a race. I reckon I'd just say 'fcuk this' and give up if I got a puncture. :D

As for the swimming, that's what puts me off a pool tri. Haven't done any long distance TT's so haven't a notion what my time would be. Dread that I'd be stuck in a lane thats too slow for me.

Well done for continuing on, awful day in the big smoke. If it was anything like that in Limerick I'd not have been a happy racer.

No rain thank god but Jesus the wind was fierce. Reminded me of Antwerp last year. Not good! And when I ran out from the pool I did a little squeal when the wind hit me. :) You don't log your swimming but I know you've been hitting big distances. I'm sure youd be good for a strong swim. Nothing stopping you doing a 1500 to see where youre at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nothing stopping you doing a 1500 to see where youre at.

Only laziness :D Swimming is so up and down for me, surely the most frustrating discipline.

Only laziness :D Swimming is so up and down for me, surely the most frustrating discipline.
    At least you get the up bit sometimes. :) I never learned properly as a kid and I think its a mountain to climb trying to master swimming as an adult. You always know the ones who learned as children. They never lose it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done yesterday oyrx, sounds like ye all had an epic battle against the elements. Cant believe it about the thumbtacks, crazy stuff. I think like RQ I would have just given up then and sulked home.

Sulking would have meant a 15k walk home :)

Did kbs last night. Squats were murder, and a 2.5 min clean and press per arm beat me. Coach has said to me that I need 'functional screening', as I seem to have a few issues where form is off. Sounds technical and sure why not. It can only help.

Just updated the sbr, two greens, finally. It will be a loooong time before I get that third one. Other than that, Im tired today, the weekend took it out of me. Calves and quads are tight and feel like they got beaten with sticks. So all normal for week 22 of an IM plan, then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hard luck in Joey, and congrats on the Greens, its a nice feeling :D

Congrats on the two greens, Wonder Woman. And can you believe only 8 more weeks left in your plan??!! :):eek:

Congrats on the two greens, Wonder Woman. And can you believe only 8 more weeks left in your plan??!! :):eek:
    Today, I can. Sometimes it feels like its flying by, other times not. Because Im tired this is a not day. :)

I'm looking out at the weather (rain, wind), and looking at the plan for this week, and its Tuesday, and Ive ONE hour done, and I ache... and sigh, it seems impossible to do 13 hours in the next five days. But nonetheless, on we go, its gotta be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Today, I can. Sometimes it feels like its flying by, other times not. Because Im tired this is a not day. :)

I'm looking out at the weather (rain, wind), and looking at the plan for this week, and its Tuesday, and Ive ONE hour done, and I ache... and sigh, it seems impossible to do 13 hours in the next five days. But nonetheless, on we go, its gotta be done!

1 Hour more than me :(, nothing done since last friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

But nonetheless, on we go, its gotta be done!

Great attitude imo, stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ahh, hard luck with the mechanical...

Although, why anyone does pool triathlons escapes me... If it is too cold for OW, it is too cold for tri:)

Izoard wrote: »
    Ahh, hard luck with the mechanical...
    It had to happen sometime, Im glad it did - now I know I can cope with it. Have two new tyres to fit this week for practise as well (say nothing about stable doors and horses....) I said quite happily to the marshal on Sunday that finally I had popped my puncture cherry. Think he thought I was mad.

A short swim session because we had a 750 tt tonight, and I did a pathetic thing. 13 lengths in, I quit. I had wanted to quit from early on cos I thought it was going so badly and I felt like c rap. Totally wrecked. And when I went to pass someone and then immediately had to pass another, I blew up and couldn't keep going. But our beloved coach wouldn't let me get out. He gave me a metaphorical kick up the arse, and told me to get going again. So I did. Swam it out and got to the end. And whaddya know, my time was a few seconds below my recorded pb including the 20 second hissy fit in the middle. So maybe it felt hard cos it was going well.. Lesson learned. Or maybe two lessons. One: Never quit. Two: Never let your mind defeat your body. I thought I had that one mastered but obviously not. And I love my coach :)

I'm all verklempt. *sniff, sniff* ;)
    Way to shake it off and pull yourself together. :)

And speaking of pools, mine registers a lovely and near tropical 85 degrees on the PDA. Heading out now for what I hope is a long session. :D

• Advertisement

I don't know what that means but I hope it means your kickin my ass too. Cos I deserve it. :) Have a lovely balmy swim. Your day in the chilly Irish sea will come. I promise. :)

Advertisement