Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

USA
    JustinDee wrote: »
    Romania might be more domestic in its player pool but Namibia is comprised of players playing in South Africa (for the Namibian team in Vodacom Cup and for South African sides themselves), France and England.

Fair enough, but the majority of the Namibian squad do play domestically. Also depends if you consider the Welwitschias a domestic team or not. Those Namibians that do play abroad don't play for top level teams. Jacques Burger is the only player in the squad who actually actively plays for an international quality club. That being Saracens. Two players play Currie Cup rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ireland by less than 20
    Looks like O Gara is firmly in the driving seat to start at 10 v the Eagles :pac:

RonanOGara_QueenstownSkylineLuge.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Looks like O Gara is firmly in the driving seat to start at 10 v the Eagles :pac:

RonanOGara_QueenstownSkylineLuge.jpg

Judging by the orangeness that is DOC in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

USA
    Very worried about this game injury-wise. From watching America play in the past they seem to go out to really injure other players. Considering how riled up they will be on the Sept 11 10 year anniversary this could translate into a lot of injuries for the Irish team ahead of such a vital clash.

1.Court
    2.Flannery
    3.Buckley (cant believe I actually have to select him)
    4.O'Callaghan
    5.Cullen
    6.Leamy (ditto)
    7.Jennings
    8.Heaslip
    9.Reddan
    10.O'Gara
    11.Earls
    12.D'arcy
    13.McFadden
    14.Bowe
    15.Kearney

would be the team I'd put out under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

That's crazy talk Rory. We've been beyond bad in the last 4 games and many of the players you aren't selecting are in desperate need of game time. He should and will pick close to or full strength.

• Advertisement

USA
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    That's crazy talk Rory. We've been beyond bad in the last 4 games and many of the players you aren't selecting are in desperate need of game time. He should and will pick close to or full strength.

Expect injuries then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    RoryMc23 wrote: »
    Expect injuries then.

USA do not "go out to injure" players.

Besides, if he doesn't play a close to full strength team and get them actually playing some decent rugby we've no chance against Aus.

USA
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    USA do not "go out to injure" players.

Besides, if he doesn't play a close to full strength team and get them actually playing some decent rugby we've no chance against Aus.

I've watched them numerous times, they really do. Perhaps injured isnt the right word but they are involved in a disportionate amount of illegal tackles whenever I've watched them. Anyway I don't need to argue that point, we will see that I am right in a few days. I would definitely rest Healy and Ross anyway (who both have a lot of game time anyway and are in form) and O'Driscoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland by less than 20
    I've watched them numerous times, they really do. Perhaps injured isnt the right word but they are involved in a disportionate amount of illegal tackles whenever I've watched them. Anyway I don't need to argue that point, we will see that I am right in a few days. I would definitely rest Healy and Ross anyway (who both have a lot of game time anyway and are in form)

If you are not right, we'll remind you. ;)

USA
    If you are not right, we'll remind you. ;)

The best scenario, is a lot of illegal tackles, no injuries and many US yellow cards. Then I will have been proven right and Ireland will have won comfortably. A win-win situation for all (except USA and PodgeIRL obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

Ireland by 20-40
    The best scenario, is a lot of illegal tackles, no injuries and many US yellow cards. Then I will have been proven right and Ireland will have won comfortably. A win-win situation for all (except USA and PodgeIRL obviously)

Why is that the best scenario? Surely no illegal tackles, no cards and Ireland winning comfortably with no injuries would be better?

Why would you wish for cards and bad play from the USA?? Bad form.

* Also, in all my years involved in rugby I have never once heard anyone say USA go out to injure players or that they make a lot of illegal tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SalmonLeap

I've been watching the USA a fair bit this year (followed the Churchill Cup this year) and I have to also say, I did not get the impression that the USA were playing dirty or were out to injure their opposition. I'm not sure where one can get that impression. Even if it was true for a USA team in the past I'm not seeing it in their current form.

Surely even all the bitter supporters here are just hoping for 80 minutes of quality Rugby, hopefully some skillful surprises from a USA side that doesn't get to play on a major stage much, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

USA
    I think we'll scrap it by less than 10 points.

USA
    Why is that the best scenario? Surely no illegal tackles, no cards and Ireland winning comfortably with no injuries would be better?

Why would you wish for cards and bad play from the USA?? Bad form.

* Also, in all my years involved in rugby I have never once heard anyone say USA go out to injure players or that they make a lot of illegal tackles.

I wasn't being serious.

I've admitted that the term going out to injure is the wrong term but they tend to tackle quite illegally, some of it gets picked up and most doesn't.

Ireland by 20-40
    I wasn't being serious.

I've admitted that the term going out to injure is the wrong term but they tend to tackle quite illegally, some of it gets picked up and most doesn't.

In what ways are their tackles illegal? Just curious as to what you mean so that I can look for it on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

shuffol wrote: »
    If Ireand beat Australa it'll be one of the greatest victories in Irish rugby history, surely thats reason enough to have a proper cut at them.

how so? last time we played australia they were home advantage, and we had one of the worst teams we have had in a serious game in the past 2 years and they only beat us by 7 points.

The time before that we drew 15 all.

I really think people are hyping up australia a bit too much(dont get me wrong, they are a bloody brilliant team), but in the past 2 years they have lost to scotland, and samoa, drew against england and ireland. They do with out a doubt have the ablilty to step it up against france and new zealand which we dont seem to do, but it is not beyond hope to go out there and beat them nicely if we have a full team and play with the intensity we are capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Fair enough, but the majority of the Namibian squad do play domestically. Also depends if you consider the Welwitschias a domestic team or not. Those Namibians that do play abroad don't play for top level teams. Jacques Burger is the only player in the squad who actually actively plays for an international quality club. That being Saracens. Two players play Currie Cup rugby.
    There are least seven in the squad who play Vodacom Cup. Another plays for a Top 14 side. Another plays for Safafracens.
    The Namibian also contracts a number players centrally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Ireland by less than 20
    I'm a little worried over the game being on 9/11!!!

We SHOULD beat them but lets not get complacent here.

We are perfectly capable of beating AUS, especially if Quade "Hot and Cold" Cooper decides to fuck the ball away in contact which he did for the whole 3N. He did maybe 2 good things for 5/6 bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ireland by less than 20
    :rolleyes:

Bull. Rugby is raidly growing in the states and within the next ten years they have the potential to overtake the Pacific Islands in terms of standing. Much like Japan are on the verge of doing now.

Seven members of USA World Cup Squad are currently signed to top level clubs. (AVIVA Premiership, Pro12, Super Rugby and Top 14). Mike Petri and Robbie Shaw are on trial with top clubs. (Dragons & Scarlets) One or two older players also have experience with clubs of this calibre. (Paul Emerick - Ulster & Dragons, Todd Clever - Lions and Mike MacDonald - Leeds Carnegie )

So clearly, the USA are acres ahead of the likes of Namibia and Romania. Both of which possess a squad largely composed of semi professional domestic based players.

Scott La Valla was seriously good at Ulster. He would have got a full time contract here but couldn't get a U.K. work permit. He is at Stade Francais.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Ireland by 20-40
    i'm going for Ireland by 40 plus points, the US have Russia 4 days after they play us, realistically EOS will be targeting that game as the one they can win so wont have their strongest team on field for full 80 against us. We've had a stinker of a preseason but i'm hopeful of a few early passes sticking on sunday and all of a sudden us looking like we can create and take try scoring chances.

i hope we play smart and leave the ball carrying to our best carriers, Ferris, Healy in close and SOB and Heaslip in broken play. POC and DOC to focus on clearing out rucks to ensure we have quick ball for our backs, Flannery to start and run a well oiled lineout. Kearney, Trimble/Earls & Bowe to score lots of trys out wide as the US tire and the game breaks up.

• Advertisement

Ireland by less than 20
    jacothelad wrote: »
    Scott La Valla was seriously good at Ulster. He would have got a full time contract here but couldn't get a U.K. work permit. He is at Stade Francais.

Didn't realise he had any exposure at Ulster. He was Trinity captain and quite a good leader at that considering he's only 23.

AFAIK he's actually signed for Stade's U23 Academy team, and not the first side.

He's equally able at 4,5,6 and is one of the scariest looking players with a ball in hand I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

USA
    anybody know when the team is being announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Batigol

Ireland by less than 20
    bamboozle wrote: »
    i'm going for Ireland by 40 plus points, the US have Russia 4 days after they play us, realistically EOS will be targeting that game as the one they can win so wont have their strongest team on field for full 80 against us. We've had a stinker of a preseason but i'm hopeful of a few early passes sticking on sunday and all of a sudden us looking like we can create and take try scoring chances.

Equally our terrible preseason and the fact it's EOS could see the US go full strength and really get up in our faces the first 20mins to try and cause an upset.

After the last world cup I'm just hoping that they do themselves justice and actually turn up from the 1st minute in all the games. Only starting to play in the 2nd half has become far too common for Ireland :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ireland by less than 20
    Didn't realise he had any exposure at Ulster. He was Trinity captain and quite a good leader at that considering he's only 23.

AFAIK he's actually signed for Stade's U23 Academy team, and not the first side.

He's equally able at 4,5,6 and is one of the scariest looking players with a ball in hand I've ever seen.

He played a few games and was captain of the Ravens once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Batigol wrote: »
    Only starting to play in the 2nd half has become far too common for Ireland :mad:

More the opposite actually.
    Argentina, New Zealand in November, France and England in Six Nations and then England this August - All matches where the first fifteen was Ireland's.
    Sustainability and conversion of the initial upper-hand into points was the issue. Not a late-show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

USA
    wonton wrote: »
    how so? last time we played australia they were home advantage, and we had one of the worst teams we have had in a serious game in the past 2 years and they only beat us by 7 points.

The time before that we drew 15 all.

I really think people are hyping up australia a bit too much(dont get me wrong, they are a bloody brilliant team), but in the past 2 years they have lost to scotland, and samoa, drew against england and ireland. They do with out a doubt have the ablilty to step it up against france and new zealand which we dont seem to do, but it is not beyond hope to go out there and beat them nicely if we have a full team and play with the intensity we are capable of.

Australia will be coming in on a high after beating the All Blacks and winning the tri nations. Ireland will be coming in on a low after four successive defeats. The only thing in our favour I can see will be the lowered expectation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland by less than 20
    In what ways are their tackles illegal? Just curious as to what you mean so that I can look for it on Sunday.
    There is an impression that because American football is so common in America that American Ruby players are failed American Football players. Due to this there is a feeling amoung rugby fans that Football tackles are used by American Rugby players including what would be high tackles in Rugby. Its not true imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Anyway..................back to the rugby.

Ireland by 20+ and get our campaign off to a good start!

Ireland by 20-40
    lmao wrote: »
    Anyway..................back to the rugby.

Ireland by 20+ and get our campaign off to a good start!

I can't make up my mind, either Eddie and his Eagles will be pumped up for this game and go all guns blazing or they'll concentrate on the Russia game. Due to the fact it's EOS in charge he might not let the sentiment of the date take over and rest some guys for Russia.

If we perform like we're capable of, I reckon it's a 30+ victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

With that attitude no one could joke about anything. You really are a dour ****.
    banned.
    back on topic people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement