Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options
  • 03-09-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

200px-Ireland_rugby.pngrugby-world-cup-2011-logo1.jpg?w=310&h=207usa_rugby_logo.gif

IRELAND SQUAD:

Forwards:
    Rory Best, Tony Buckley, Tom Court, Sean Cronin, Leo Cullen, Stephen Ferris, Jerry Flannery, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Shane Jennings, Denis Leamy, Sean O’Brien, Donncha O’Callaghan, Paul O’Connell, Mike Ross, Donnacha Ryan,

Backs:
    Tommy Bowe, Isaac Boss, Gordon D’Arcy, Keith Earls, Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Geordan Murphy, Conor Murray, Brian O’Driscoll (c), Ronan O’Gara, Eoin Reddan, Jonathan Sexton, Andrew Trimble, Paddy Wallace.

USA EAGLES SQUAD:

Forwards:
    Inaki Basauri, Chris Biller, Todd Clever, Pat Danahy, Eric Fry, JJ Gagiano, Nic Johnson, Scott LaValla, Mike MacDonald, Brian McClenahan, Mate Moeakiola, Shawn Pittman, Hayden Smith, Louis Stanfill, Phil Thiel, John van der Giessen.

Backs:
    Paul Emerick, Tai Enosa, Colin Hawley, Nese Malifa, Taku Ngwenya, James Paterson, Mike Petri, Blaine Scully, Junior Sifa, Andrew Suniula, Roland Suniula, Kevin Swiryn, Tim Usasz, Chris Wyles.

Finally the showpiece event of rugby begins. After 2 years of huffing and puffing from game to game, the Irish team's mettle will be truly tested. Like 4 years ago, there will no place to hide from the media and supporter spotlight if the team underperform. After the Grand Slam success of 2009, Ireland were expected to push on to better things. Since the glory day of Cardiff, it simply hasn't happened for the men in green The side has become lethargic and lackadasical, the backs have taken to passing the ball from side to side to no avail with no inventiveness that can be associated with New Zealand, Australia and France (on occasion). Midfield defences could afford to be at ease as a simple drift defence was all that was required to stop an Irish attack in its tracks.

The main difference between the Ireland of today and the Ireland of 2009 is the conversion of chances into tries. During the Grand Slam run Ireland did not create many scoring opportunities but most were taken with impressive poise. Think back to Wales vs Ireland, where the visitors had 3 try scoring opportunities. Fitzgerald was a marginal forward pass away from scoring in the first half while O'Driscoll and Bowe converted the other 2 chances, the rest is history. Unlike the 3 teams mentioned above Ireland are not a naturally creative team. It is therefore necessary that Ireland rediscover their ability to be clinical in the red zone, when the odd opportunity arrives.

This game will be a special occasion for the United States team (nicknamed "The Eagles"). It goes without saying that the first game of a major competition of this magnitude will be a wonderful moment for the players but the day of this fixture also marks the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks. This was an event that had a profound effect on the American psyche, if not the world psyche. This kind of incalculable motivation has the potential to push many players past their normal level of ability (remember Munster vs All Blacks). Eddie O'Sullivan has stated that the fixture against Russia on Thursday 15 September is the priority but he wants to put out a strong team against Ireland to have a decent start to the competition.

USA's Strength - Back Three
    James-Paterson-Highlanders-2011_2612698.jpgChris-Wyles-in-action-against-Racing_2545700.jpgTakudzwa-Ngwenya-burns-David-Wallace_2448959.jpg
    James Paterson, Chris Wyles, Taku Ngwenya and Kevin Swiryn (not pictured) could be a threat. (c) Sky Sports/Planet Rugby

The Eagles will likely rely on their back three combinations for scores. Paterson, Wyles and Swiryn are all professionals playing at top level clubs while Takudzwa Ngwenya needs no introduction. One of the fastest wingers in world rugby, it's doubtful any of the Irish wings fancy being up against him in a one on one situation! The other three are proven try scorers in Super Rugby, Aviva Premiership and Top 14. Whether the Eagles possess the quality at halfback and at centre to deliver the ball to these dangerous runners will be a concern. In Todd Clever, the Eagles have a backrower with enormous potential. You could say he plays the Sergio Parisse role for the Eagles, the other players look to him to spark something special.

Irish Concerns
    5f291__54968161_wallace_ground_466.jpg
    David Wallace's absence is a massive blow to Ireland. (c) INPHO

It is imperative that Ireland get back on the horse for this game. They cannot expect an easy first 20 minutes against Australia to get their bearings. A disquieting point surrounds the number of Irish players with injury/fitness issues. Cian Healy looked battered during the warm up games and now has an eye injury. With David Wallace out, it's vital that the backrow trio of Ferris, O'Brien (it's essential he plays if available) and Heaslip is fit and firing. With skepticism surrounding Paddy Wallace's abilities and Keith Earls' form, Gordon D'Arcy along with Brian O'Driscoll need to prove their match sharpness.

Many times during the warmups Paul O'Connell and Sean O'Brien stood alone in the pack when it came to standing up to the opposition. A tactic of "Give the ball to Seanie" won't cut the mustard against top teams. The forwards need to start working harder and find some controlled rage to unleash onto the opposition. The kind of endeavour we saw when the Irish pack devoured their English counterparts 4 years ago at Croke Park. As mentioned before the backplay in recent times has been one dimensional and uncreative. A lot rests on the shoulders of Jonny Sexton and Ronan O'Gara to create opportunities for the outside backs to flourish.

It's important that a near full strength Irish team is selected for this. Many of the star players can come off the bench if need be but Ireland needs to find form before facing the mighty Australia. Ireland will never match Australia's blissful style of play but on form they can certainly create a difficult environment where Australia will struggle to play their natural game. The Eagles should be fired up but Ireland's quality should (Jinxs must be avoided here, remember Namibia & Georgia!) shine through to earn a comfortable victory. How Eddie O'Sullivan would love to get one over his former employers but it is an unlikely scenario. I predict Ireland by at least 25 points.

The hour of reckoning is nearly here, I can't wait. Let the World Cup campaign begin!

I'd like to see (assuming everyone is available):
    Healy, Flannery, Ross, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Ferris, O'Brien, Heaslip;
    Reddan, Sexton, Trimble, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Bowe, Kearney

Bench: Best, Court, Cullen, Jennings, Murray, O'Gara, Murphy/Earls

Player pics taken from PR/Sky Sports/INPHO. Logos from various sources. Squads taken from speartackle.co.za

Everything else is my work.

Prediction? 327 votes

Ireland by 40+
    0%
    Ireland by 20-40
    6%
    PaulwNooptifoxtailTristramArmaniJeanssMagilljayteecorkSproutstwinytwoSomeFoolbamboozleMCD.bossa_novaCiaran-IrlA DisgracePhatPiggins0Default0IcemancomethGracelessly Tomflynninio 22 votes
    Ireland by less than 20
    39%
    micosavonesfDempseyColinJennings[Deleted User]EKRIUQAgent SmithPonsterBig Nellyfunky penguinHippoAkrasiaKeyzerOtacongally74GoldsteinmikeruurdsCacoMachawingnut 128 votes
    USA
    51%
    NemesisPeter BBlitzKriegMr.ApplepiesomaPalefaceBigConmufflerparasitetommycahirscarySuprSiefbraven136moby2101spoonquad_redRaiserNukemapplehunter 170 votes
    Neil Francis
    2%
    markestroverjoyceFreeOSCAR[-0-]acalmenvoyheybabynizo888 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Super op thomond. Ireland by 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Ireland by less than 20
    cheers

CMON IRELAND

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Excellent post by thomond and super summary of Ireland's first opponents and task in hand. Just hope prediction is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Ireland by 20 plus, I'd expect a committed and spirited display by USA and they may match Ireland for the first twenty minutes or so but once Ireland make the breakthrough and start scoring tries and pulling away they'll have no answer. It is imperative we get off to the best possible start we can and to be ruthless, remember Namibia four years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

USA
    The return of the Thomond preview. First positive sign for Ireland since WC preparation began.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Hopefully bounce back from the last few bad results with a decent win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I hope Clever pulls out some **** like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKZE1VwhJU

Edit: Boards wouldn't let me put the link in through the youtube option.

Ireland by less than 20
    David900 wrote: »
    I hope Clever pulls out some **** like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKZE1VwhJU

Edit: Boards wouldn't let me put the link in through the youtube option.

perhaps not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Team I'd like to see:
    Court, Best, Ross, Cullen, O'Connell, Ferris, Jennings, Heaslip
    Boss, Sexton, Trimble, D'Arcy, McFadden, Bowe, Kearney

Ireland by 15-30. Unless there is to be a huge improvement / player-lead mutiny it'll be at the lower end of that.

• Advertisement

Ireland by less than 20
    theboss80 wrote: »

same as above ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ireland by 20-40
    USA and Russia look to be the weakest two of the 20 teams by a long distance.
    One or the other just might prevent a dour Italy getting a bonus point win but the entire group is going to come down to Italy v Ireland on the 2nd October.

Everything that comes before it is a sideshow and a rehearsal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SalmonLeap

As a dual citizen, and with an eye towards always going for the underdog when there is any kind of choice, I'm 100% behind the USA for this match. My only legitimate sources of hope for seeing quality from them is the anniversary involved firing them up, and for the ball to get to Ngwenya as much as possible. He is easily the most exciting figure on the USA side.

For every other Ireland match I'm of course all behind the boys in green, but come Sunday at 7:00am, I'll be in my white Eagles RWC jersey (I assume they'll be in the white one, in a moment of weakness I picked up both) cheering them on.

For rugby to progress at all in the USA, there has to be an exciting, charismatic win, such as what Irish cricket has occasionally pulled out. Ideally they'd scalp a powerful team in a surprise win but I can't see that happening. However, with their focus on USA v Russia, even if it's two weak sides, if it's an entertaining match I can see some real Rocky IV appeal firing up potential USA fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

theboss80 wrote: »

Why didn't he put the ball under the posts????

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

USA
    The entire group is going to come down to Italy v Ireland on the 2nd October.

Everything that comes before it is a sideshow and a rehearsal.

Nonsense - demonstrates a complete lack of ambition and optimism. There is no way that this Irish team should lose to Italy at a neutral venue. We can't let our recent lack of form and confidence mask our inherent superiority over the Italians.

The key match is very definitely and very obviously versus Australia.

No. Australia will beat us. They could hammer us. That match is about saving face and not picking up injuries or suspensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

USA
    tolosenc wrote: »
    No. Australia will beat us. They could hammer us. That match is about saving face and not picking up injuries or suspensions.

Again, a complete lack of ambition and optimism. Which is disappointing considering it's our biggest match since Cardiff '09.

Australia are a better team, but they can be got at.

I'll save the rest for the Ire v Aus thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ireland by less than 20
    At the opening Leinster home match the night before, first session since the Heineken Cup and Magners League final with all the lads so will be struggling in the morning. Is coverage starting at 7 with game at 7.30??

Would like to see Buckley, Cronin, Cullen, Ferris, Jennings get a run out. No point playing our best team in case of injury

In backs, Murray and O'Gara, Tommy Bowe to get fitness up. McFadden and Murphy/Kearney depending on who needs game time the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Nonsense - demonstrates a complete lack of ambition and optimism. There is no way that this Irish team should lose to Italy at a neutral venue. We can't let our recent lack of form and confidence mask our inherent superiority over the Italians.

The key match is very definitely and very obviously versus Australia.

Hrmm... I dunno if I agree with that. Any team can lose to any team. That's why sport is interesting. And I definitely hope the Irish team truly do have that 'one game at a time' mentality.

Ireland could lose to Australia, USA, Russia, or Italy. Not because they are better teams (with the exception of Aus), but because if they switch off they can lose the games for themselves. I've seen teams thinking all they need to do is turn up on the day and watch them give away penalty after penalty, and before they know it the ball is being strangled off them and they lose their ability to play decent rugby.

Ireland need to approach the USA game for what it is: A Rugby World Cup Match. They need to be on top of their game, and be very clinical against a side that will no doubt want to cause some damage. Eddie I'm sure will be thinking he knows the side very well and what happens to them under the WC pressure....

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

duckysauce wrote: »
    perhaps not

Ah its only a bit of craic.
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    Why didn't he put the ball under the posts????

Because that wouldn't make a great clip?
    SalmonLeap wrote: »
    As a dual citizen, and with an eye towards always going for the underdog when there is any kind of choice, I'm 100% behind the USA for this match. My only legitimate sources of hope for seeing quality from them is the anniversary involved firing them up, and for the ball to get to Ngwenya as much as possible. He is easily the most exciting figure on the USA side.

For every other Ireland match I'm of course all behind the boys in green, but come Sunday at 7:00am, I'll be in my white Eagles RWC jersey (I assume they'll be in the white one, in a moment of weakness I picked up both) cheering them on.

For rugby to progress at all in the USA, there has to be an exciting, charismatic win, such as what Irish cricket has occasionally pulled out. Ideally they'd scalp a powerful team in a surprise win but I can't see that happening. However, with their focus on USA v Russia, even if it's two weak sides, if it's an entertaining match I can see some real Rocky IV appeal firing up potential USA fans.

I really hope that Ireland target Ngwenya in this match. Everyone knows he is fast in attack but from what I've seen from him for Biarritz, he is a complete liability in defence and under a high ball.

• Advertisement

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Again, a complete lack of ambition and optimism. Which is disappointing considering it's our biggest match since Cardiff '09.

Australia are a better team, but they can be got at.

I'll save the rest for the Ire v Aus thread!

You call it optimism, I call it fool hardiness.

Ireland are in a dogfight with Italy to get out of the group, and failing to face up to that reality could well see Ireland go out of the tournament in the group stages again.

Ireland by less than 20
    Come on to fúck!

All analysis and rationality goes out the window once this game kicks off, and I'll firmly believe we can win the WC if we finally get our asses out of 2nd gear and get some plays working and show that the backline is not just defensively sound.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland by less than 20
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    At the opening Leinster home match the night before, first session since the Heineken Cup and Magners League final with all the lads so will be struggling in the morning. Is coverage starting at 7 with game at 7.30??

Would like to see Buckley, Cronin, Cullen, Ferris, Jennings get a run out. No point playing our best team in case of injury

In backs, Murray and O'Gara, Tommy Bowe to get fitness up. McFadden and Murphy/Kearney depending on who needs game time the most.
    Personally I think the full first team should be played to get themselves and try to click ahead of the Australia game

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

best try of the last world cup!

http://youtu.be/yqWHFnwdtVU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

It most certainly is nothing of a kind. Top of the group is the target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ireland by less than 20
    If Ireand beat Australa it'll be one of the greatest victories in Irish rugby history, surely thats reason enough to have a proper cut at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's an uphill climb for us but I wouldnt doubt Ireland having the where with all to beat them. I think we should be targetting a win in all pool games and come out of the pool as top seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

USA
    USA and Russia look to be the weakest two of the 20 teams by a long distance.

:rolleyes:

Bull. Rugby is raidly growing in the states and within the next ten years they have the potential to overtake the Pacific Islands in terms of standing. Much like Japan are on the verge of doing now.

Seven members of USA World Cup Squad are currently signed to top level clubs. (AVIVA Premiership, Pro12, Super Rugby and Top 14). Mike Petri and Robbie Shaw are on trial with top clubs. (Dragons & Scarlets) One or two older players also have experience with clubs of this calibre. (Paul Emerick - Ulster & Dragons, Todd Clever - Lions and Mike MacDonald - Leeds Carnegie )

So clearly, the USA are acres ahead of the likes of Namibia and Romania. Both of which possess a squad largely composed of semi professional domestic based players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

So clearly, the USA are acres ahead of the likes of Namibia and Romania. Both of which possess a squad largely composed of semi professional domestic based players.
    Romania might be more domestic in its player pool but Namibia is comprised of players playing in South Africa (for the Namibian team in Vodacom Cup and for South African sides themselves), France and England.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement