Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ireland by less than 20
    Ireland by 30 or so points. I expect they run the ball a good bit.

I also think the team has some backline moves they are keeping quiet on to burst out in the world cup. You may see these in the USA game. Just a feeling and some rugby jornos are thinking similar.

A nicely composed match is needed. No frantic stuff. Just simple effective rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Ireland by less than 20
    Predict a 20-40 victory for Ireland. Should get the 4 tries for the bonus point but no real battering for USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ireland by less than 20
    God these thread always descend into c**p and then is 20 pages long. Anyway I cant see EOS sending out US to try and injury players. Still most of squad that Eddie would have used in his time.

Can see a good match, well good to the point of Ireland getting a good win. 20+ points and get some of the players on the fringes some time on the pitch and also some of the players who need game time getting a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

USA
    I expect a very fired up and committed performance for the Eagles given the day that's in it but reckon they will fall away in the last 20 minutes Ireland by less than 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I expect to see something along the lines of:

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. DOC
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Reddan
    10. ROG
    11. Trimble
    12. Wallace
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

We'll win by about 30 points I think. USA are no great shakes and EOS has already said that his focus will be on the Russian game. If we fail to put away the Eagles handsomely we should be very worried; they're not a good side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

USA
    I think Ireland will win by 15-20. Bearing in mind the dross of the past four weeks and the fact its our first game of the WC, I dont see us putting in an earth shattering performance. Ireland 31-USA 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ireland by less than 20
    I wonder will we see these secret back line moves Gaffneys been plotting or will we continue with the ploy of playing poorly on purpose to lull the Aussies into an even bigger false sense of security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Ireland by less than 20
    Less than 20? I think some people are forgetting how poor the US rugby team actually are. We have had a bad few games but they were against some of the best in the world. We will be running the tries in.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

GerM wrote: »
    I expect to see something along the lines of:

1. Court
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. DOC
    5. POC
    6. Ferris
    7. SOB
    8. Heaslip
    9. Reddan
    10. ROG
    11. Trimble
    12. Wallace
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

We'll win by about 30 points I think. USA are no great shakes and EOS has already said that his focus will be on the Russian game. If we fail to put away the Eagles handsomely we should be very worried; they're not a good side.

Maybe put Jennings in for O'Brien to give him a bit of gametime? Apart from that I'd agree with the team, although maybe Sexton for O'Gara but that's debatable as always. :P

Ireland by less than 20
    Thought SOB was unlikely to be fit for this game anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    We'll beat USA though I've no idea by how much. Kidney's Ireland side have never exactly cut loose all that much so I think the USA will be a real indicator or where we stand in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

my team for usa would be :-

kearney
    bowe
    darcy
    odriscoll
    earls
    sexton
    boss
    healy
    best
    ross
    cullen
    o'connell
    ferris
    jennings
    heaslip

anyone who has played in North america , will know how physical the americans are , really need a physical response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Thought SOB was unlikely to be fit for this game anyway?

That was the outlook alright but he was able to take full part in training today along with Kearney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ireland by less than 20
    thebaz wrote: »
    my team for usa would be :-

kearney
    bowe
    darcy
    odriscoll
    earls
    sexton
    boss
    healy
    best
    ross
    cullen
    o'connell
    ferris
    jennings
    heaslip

anyone who has played in North america , will know how physical the americans are , really need a physical response

Not doable. Healy is un-available for this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ireland by less than 20
    In all serious this is the single worst side in the tournament bar none. They play like robots and really struggle to to cope with unexpected things. The one thing they'v got going for them is 9/11 which no doubt will provide them with extra motivation but we should easily put a 20 point margin on them if the weather stays good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ireland by less than 20
    9/11 shouldn't even be brought into it. There will be a nice one minute silence/clapping before the game and then the Eagles will be smashed by Ireland. It doesn't matter how emotional the day will be for the players or how pumped they might be, I just cannot see it mattering. I watched two of their warm up games against Canada and this team would be beaten if we played Niall Ronan from 1 - 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    USA are concentrating on the Russian game anyway. This game is all about performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Podge_irl wrote: »
    This game is all about performance.

for us too tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

I thinks it's the 9/11 coupled with Eddie O Sullivan thing that has fans a little niggly about a possible upset.

USA's preseason has been as bad as Irelands though.

Saying that I still don't think Ireland will by as high as the bookies line of 37 points. 21-28 I think will be the margin.

Ireland just need to get through it without losing any belief in themselves if the media get on their backs for not blowing USA away

As for next match against Australia, in a perverse way I think they should not target this match too heavily. For me I believe Ireland should look to peak against Italy & the following week again against South Africa in the quarter finals. That's a match we CAN win as long as the top players are still standing fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Ireland by 20-40
    shaggykev wrote: »
    I thinks it's the 9/11 coupled with Eddie O Sullivan thing that has fans a little niggly about a possible upset.

Saying that I still don't think Ireland will by as high as the bookies line of 37 points. 21-28 I think will be the margin.

Ireland just need to get through it without losing any belief in themselves if the media get on their backs for not blowing USA away

As for next match against Australia, in a perverse way I think they should not target this match too heavily. For me I believe Ireland should look to peak against Italy & the following week again against South Africa in the quarter finals. That's a match we CAN win as long as the top players are still standing fresh

Sorry are you saying you expect the line to come into 21-28 points or is that what you would have set it at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

shaggykev wrote: »

Sorry are you saying you expect the line to come into 21-28 points or is that what you would have set it at?

No I think Ireland will win by 21-28 points. It wouldn't surprise me to see the H'cap line set by the bookies fall to closer to 30 points before the match starts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

USA
    Stev_o wrote: »
    In all serious this is the single worst side in the tournament bar none. They play like robots and really struggle to to cope with unexpected things. The one thing they'v got going for them is 9/11 which no doubt will provide them with extra motivation but we should easily put a 20 point margin on them if the weather stays good.

OK so if we dont put a 30+ points margin on these guys we can safely say we are in real trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ireland by less than 20
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    OK so if we dont put a 30+ points margin on these guys we can safely say we are in real trouble?

A win is a win and at the end of the day WC winners don't look back at their campaign and say well we didn't put X amount of points on Y so therefore this undermines our victory.

That said you can't take away from the fact we are playing the worst team in the tournament and that realistically playing a decent game we should put a 20+ margin on them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

USA
    decisions wrote: »
    Judging by the orangeness that is DOC in the background.

For a brief moment I was thinking "what the f*ck is Macaulay Culkin doing on tour with Ireland?"

Ireland by less than 20
    Ireland need to beat these by a lot for their own confidence going forward. A tight nervy game and there's problems later on in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

USA
    Grimebox wrote: »
    Less than 20? I think some people are forgetting how poor the US rugby team actually are. We have had a bad few games but they were against some of the best in the world. We will be running the tries in.

Scotland, England and a French team that are unable to play a solid eighty minutes are not some of the best teams in the world. I think your totally overlooking Ireland's pitiful preformances against England and France in the AVIVA. Ireland by 20.

Ireland by less than 20
    Scotland, England and a French team that are unable to play a solid eighty minutes are not some of the best teams in the world. I think your totally overlooking Ireland's pitiful preformances against England and France in the AVIVA. Ireland by 20.

They're the best in the northern hemisphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

USA
    They're the best in the northern hemisphere

Who, Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ireland by less than 20
    They obviously are some of the best teams in the world if they're in the top 5.
    Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

When's the team announcement?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement