Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ireland by less than 20
    I don't think McFadden's passing game suits the 12 position, all indications from his Leinster and Ireland selections suggest him a very talented runner in wide channels.

Though as iv said before it is scary the lack of any quality 12's in this country.

Ireland by less than 20
    Stev_o wrote: »
    I don't think McFadden's passing game suits the 12 position, all indications from his Leinster and Ireland selections suggest him a very talented runner in wide channels.

Though as iv said before it is scary the lack of any quality 12's in this country.

*psst, look North. There's plenty en route...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Luke Marshall or JJ Hanrahan are hopefully going to be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ireland by less than 20
    I always thought of Fitzgerald as a successor to BOD since following his careers a number of years ago. I still think he is a natural 13. He has the footwork needed for 12 but still think he is a natural 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

With the few injuries still on the horizon, it is not that easy to chose Ireland's best 15. I don't think we can use USA game to give players game time, we must pick our best available team in order to have a proper cut at Oz. It is far too early for Flannery to be brought straight back into team, Best had a fantastic 6 Nations are his leadership skills, fringe defence and scrummaging ability are going to be needed against Oz. Fla to get last 20 mins perhaps. Starting him would be a terrible decision and would not be fair on the player himself in fact. I actually think we have a better chance beating Oz with ROG in team, we are going to have keep it tight against Oz and perhaps ROG is better game manager with Sexton to come on after 60. I think Trimble and Bowe are our best wingers, Trimble has had a fantasic start to season and must play. Earls is fantastic going forward but Trimble is unquestionably the better defender. Earls is probably where Trimble was four years ago in terms of his defensive ability. If Earls starts against Oz he is going to be targeted, have no doubts about that. If we want to keep BOD at 13, then Paddy Wallace has to start in Gordon's absence. Kearney to complete team if fully fit. So that is how I see it, I am very optimistic about Ireland's chances, I think a semi is not out of the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ireland by less than 20
    My predicted team:

1. Court
    2. Flannery
    3. Ross
    4. POC
    5. DOC
    6. Ferris
    7. Jennings
    8. Heaslip

9. Murray
    10 Sexton

11. Trimble
    12. McFadden
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

My predicted team is

Buckley
    Flannery
    Ross
    POC
    DOC
    Ferris
    SOB
    Heaslip
    Reddan
    ROG
    Trimble
    Wallace
    BOD
    Bowe
    Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ireland by less than 20
    *psst, look North. There's plenty en route...

There's a whole one. Placing the hopes of the nation on Marshalls shoulder is quite the load. Bar him who's looking to step up to be our next 12? Whitten will never get any further then he has unless he somehow manages a breakout season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Stev_o wrote: »
    There's a whole one. Placing the hopes of the nation on Marshalls shoulder is quite the load. Bar him who's looking to step up to be our next 12? Whitten will never get any further then he has unless he somehow manages a breakout season.

Eoin O'Malley has shown well when he's been given a shot.
    Nevin Spence is going to be a great player.
    Darren Cave is still only 24, has had a lot of injuries but he's a quality centre.
    Plenty of coaches have seen potential in Luke Fitzgerald at 12.

I know what you're going to say, these guys are not out and out 12s but neither was D'Arcy until he was five years into his pro career.

There's plenty of talent coming through; it's up to the coaches to develop them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland by less than 20
    McFadden is a 13.
    Wallace is a 12.

They are very different positions.
    McFadden was the 2nd choice 12 for Leinster this season behind D'arcy. In big games when BOD was out Fitz and EOM both got chances at 13 while McFadden was left on the bench or played another position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

McFadden was the 2nd choice 12 for Leinster this season behind D'arcy. In big games when BOD was out Fitz and EOM both got chances at 13 while McFadden was left on the bench or played another position.

When did Fitz play 13?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ireland by less than 20
    When did Fitz play 13?
    away to Saracens in the group stages of the HEC

EDIT I don't think McFadden played 13 once last season. Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Ireland by less than 20
    Mcfadden primarily played 12 last season, most times he played it was with him at 12 and EOM at 13. Doubt he'll make a test level 12 myself. TBH I dont think long term Mcfadden will ever be more than a utility player for Leinster and Ireland. Maybe he'll be D'arcys successor at 12 but for me Macken has more potential at 13 and likewise Conway and Kearney on the wings. Hard to know where Fitz'll fit in but on form I rate him higher than Mcfadden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

USA
    Eoin O'Malley has shown well when he's been given a shot.
    Nevin Spence is going to be a great player.
    Darren Cave is still only 24, has had a lot of injuries but he's a quality centre.
    Plenty of coaches have seen potential in Luke Fitzgerald at 12.

I know what you're going to say, these guys are not out and out 12s but neither was D'Arcy until he was five years into his pro career.

There's plenty of talent coming through; it's up to the coaches to develop them.

a repatriation of downey wouldnt be out of the question. D'arcy ticking on, i could see him heading to munster tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

rockman15 wrote: »
    a repatriation of downey wouldnt be out of the question. D'arcy ticking on, i could see him heading to munster tbh.

James Downey is 30. His ship has sailed.

Edit: Just read the second half of your post, are you crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

USA
    When did Fitz play 13?
    away to Saracens in the group stages of the HEC

EDIT I don't think McFadden played 13 once last season. Anyone know?

About the only instance I can think of is when he replaced Drico in the Racing game in the RDS, but don't remember if Horgan moved to 13 or Ferg did. Given his try at the end if the game I'd say Horgan went to 13?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ireland by less than 20
    Hopefully Elwood gives McSharry some opportunity to show himself off in the Pro12. Was disappointed that he didn't get a start yet.

EDIT: Don't know if this has already been put up..
    From RTE
    Sean O'Brien has vowed to continue flattening opponents at the World Cup, declaring: "If there's no hole, I'll make one."

The bulldozing Leinster flanker is currently Ireland's outstanding performer with his destructive ball carrying seeing him crowned European player of the year.

Having consistently left a trail of defenders in his wake since nailing down his place in the team during this year's RBS 6 Nations, he has become a marked man.

The 24-year-old knows he will come under close scrutiny from Ireland's Pool C rivals, but will deal with the attention in his own unique way.

"Looking for space is important to ball-carrying, as is evasion and getting your legs pumping when you hit contact," he said.

"There are lots of ball carriers in this World Cup and I'm sure we'll all be marked closely.

"That happened to me towards the end of the Six Nations. In the third game there were more lads coming towards me.

"But that creates opportunities for those around me - if we're smart enough to take advantage.

"I'm sure opponents will mark me up pretty well. That's something you have to deal with. If there aren't any holes, I'll just have to make one."

O'Brien is likely to start at openside when Ireland announce their team for Sunday's opener against the USA in the early hours of Friday morning.

The serious knee injury sustained by David Wallace against England last month has left a vacancy in the number seven jersey.

O'Brien has just recovered from his own knee problem and the management may yet decide not to risk him in a match Ireland are sure to win.

But if asked to fill Wallace's shoes, he is confident he will be able to adjust him game.

"I'm comfortable in all three positions in the back row. It doesn't bother me where we play," he said.

"I'm pretty happy at seven, I've played plenty of games for Leinster there.

"Playing at seven does reduce your capacity to carry a bit. You have to look after the ruck and link up with the backs more.

"At six you have more of a free role and you can come onto the ball a little harder. I have to adapt to that, but it's only a minor tweak to my game."

O'Brien's ball-carrying prowess could see him become one of the stars of the World Cup and Ireland's most destructive player is eager to prove himself.

"When you're on the world stage playing against the best, it's time to test yourself out and see where you are in your career," he said.

"I'll know a lot more about myself at the end of this tournament. Absolutely I feel ready to rise to the occasion.

"I'm relaxed and confident about coming up against anyone."

Ireland lost all four of their warm-up internationals in the build up to New Zealand and need a statement of intent when they face the USA in New Plymouth.

"We were disappointed with what happened last month. We played some nice rugby at times, but were sloppy," said O'Brien.

"The lads are out to prove a point against the USA. If we do the basics well and stay focused we will do well."

Should Ireland decide to give O'Brien another week of recuperation, Shane Jennings will start at openside with Stephen Ferris and Jamie Heaslip completing the back row.

Cian Healy is doubtful because of his eye injury so Tony Buckley is likely to slot in at loosehead with Tom Court's versatility keeping him on the bench.

Geordan Murphy is on standby should Rob Kearney be rested for Australia, while Eoin Reddan and Connor Murray are battling it out for the scrum-half duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If Sean O Brien ever needed a motto, he has one now...

"If there's no hole, I'll make one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

WeeBushy wrote: »
    James Downey is 30. His ship has sailed.

Edit: Just read the second half of your post, are you crazy?

You realise he meant that he could see Downey going to Munster, right? At first, I read it as D'Arcy going to Munster... Downey is the last thing Munster need, another crash-ball merchant at 12 would be a step backwards and the IRFU aren't going to facilitate it with a central contract.

So, reports this morning are that Healy is definitely out (no surprise there), but that O'Brien, D'Arcy and Kearney are all fit to play so some good news anyway. I'm slightly alarmed by the reports that Murray is in line to start...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

All aboard the rumour train.

Supposed team that is being posted on LF:

Murphy, Bowe, BOD, D'Arcy, Earls, Sexton, Murray
    Court, Best, Ross, DOC, POC, Ferris, Jennings, Heaslip

Subs: Fla, Buckley, Ryan, Leamy, Reddan, Rog, Trimble

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

GerM wrote: »

Would be happy with that tbh, bar perhaps Earls and Ryan. I reckon Geordan Murphy could be pushing for a starting spot ahead of Robnoxious, would love to see it happen too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

USA
    Hagz wrote: »
    Hopefully Elwood gives McSharry some opportunity to show himself off in the Pro12. Was disappointed that he didn't get a start yet.

That's because he is playing the immensly talented centre that is 20/21 year old Eoin Griffen instead. Who has his jersey locked down for the season with Connacht, form permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

BOTH sides will commemorate the tenth anniversary of the September 11 Twin Tower attacks before Ireland’s opening World Cup match with Eddie Sullivan’s US Eagles at Yarrow Stadium on Sunday.

“We have agreed with the US team and the Rugby World Cup committee to have a moment of silence; I think it will be 30 seconds,” Irish team manager Paul McNaughton has confirmed.

“Officially it will be in memory of the rugby community who died in 9/11, but obviously there was a wider tragedy than that.

“We’ve also agreed with the American team that both teams would wear black armbands on the day as well.”

I think the Americans will be riled up. Should be an Interesting match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

cronin_j wrote: »
    I think the Americans will be riled up. Should be an Interesting match!

Except for the 12 players that aren't American born. ;)

I really think the 9/11 aspect will have little or no relevance once that whistle blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I really think the 9/11 aspect will have little or no relevance once that whistle blows.
    Thats right. Once the game kicks-off, its the more focused team that will make the dents, Sept 11th or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland by less than 20
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/14835008.stm

Healy the only absentee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Ireland by 20-40
    Luke Marshall or JJ Hanrahan are hopefully going to be the answer.

JJ Hanrahan is an outhalf who's filled in at 12 for the Irish U20's, saw him play for UL Bohs a few times and apart from decent place kicking and a big physique for a young lad i didnt see much else, but he's got time on his side. Macken and Sheridan at leinster need to start living up to the hype also.

Marshall, Spence, O'Malley and Collie O'Shea on the Leinster academy are good 12s. O'Malley needs to pass more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Ireland by 20-40

do we need both Ryan and leamy on the bench?
    Murray is not ready yet judging from his brief appearances so far. Far from ideal to start halfbacks who havent played together before, Reddan and Sexton should start. trimble deserves to be starting ahead of Earls, bowe needs to start to get game experience.

wicked looking backrow.

• Advertisement

Ireland by less than 20
    best and only chance to let Murray have a competitive game before we might need him and have no choice but to play him though!

Ryan on the bench unfortunately makes some sense considering we'll want to get Ferris off once the game is won, and then Leamy will probably play at 7 for a while too.

Still liking my USA bet though. Can see them keeping us frustrated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement