Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think Europe/Ireland would be like if Hitler won ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

a healther economy and the fifth line of Dublin metro is under construction this year. We are ruled by politicians who know what they are doing.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

- Unemployed people would serve the army and invade other countries
    - The Church wouldn't play such a significant role
    - Free childcare, like schools and universities (but run by the ruling party)

And as usual, if you don't do what the government tells you to do, you are in big trouble.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

charlemont wrote: »
    Germany just wouldn't have the manpower or resources to keep such an empire afloat for long as the east of Ural Russians,
    Yea one of their biggest blunders was to exclude their enemies enemies when they could have brought them into the fold in the "fight against bolshevism". White Russians a good example. They were big into thinking about Rome, but Rome got to where it was by bringing anyone who wanted to be Roman in to the fold. So for a long time it was better to with them than agin them.
    USA and Britain could regroup,
    Well if Adolf hadnt signed up to the axis I reckon the Americans would have held back. Enough Americans weren't that pushed about fighting another war in Europe.
    but no occupation of Britain as in fairness the Brits would slaughter anyone who attempts to occupy their land and the Germans would know that.
    Oh right just like the Poles who fought in ditches to repel the Germans. The British held out as much by luck as judgement(and bravery), but they had no special slaughter genes. Look at the Channel Islands.
    Once Hitlers dies the Reich would weaken and its rule outside Greater Germany would collapse due to possible German burnout and disinterest but the borders of Europe would be different and we would all be watching Le France want the German settlement zone back.
    Maybe yea that seems a likely outcome. Or they would have done a Soviet Bloc type thing with satellite states, looking to Berlin/Germania for their lead. I'd say the latter more likely myself. The resulting cold war between them, the Russians and the Americans would have been interesting. After the original hoopla had died down I suspect the Americans and Germans would be more joined against the Soviets.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭rounding tattenham Corner

if he got rid of the gypos, he would have been alright by me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

better roads
    most people would speak german by now i'd say

And Irish would def. be extinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty sure the british empire was formed by the descendents of those people so not really the same situation at all! (I could be wrong with my time-line though).

The real truth of the matter is here:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/England
    England has been invaded at various points throughout its history. Fortunately, every invader mysteriously became English when they took over, thus leaving England undefeated. This was extremely lucky as in 1066, the bloody French won their first (and last) war against England and a large seed known as William the Conker took over. He was followed by a long line of foreigners brought over solely to ensure that their puny, inbred, foreign bodies were not irreparably damaged by an encounter with a typical cock-mad English slag. For generations, these arrogant, workshy Europeans steadfastly refused to learn the native tongue; hence if asked to speak the Queen's English, you are actually being asked to speak German.
    England's history is filled with wars, many of which are explained later on in the article. It has had nearly as many wars in its history as America has had in the last 10 years! This shows England could be considered to be a war-mongering country, but we all know really it was always someone else's fault. Those unarmed tribesmen looked at us in a funny way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We'd all be on Boards.de

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

The Germans would have been first to have nuclear intercontinental weaponry

After that Russia and the US would be wiped out in short order, and large areas of the globe would be uninhabited

When you think of how close the V-2 was from mass deployment it really was a close thing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

D1stant wrote: »
    The Germans would have been first to have nuclear intercontinental weaponry
    They had the rockets alright, but were way behind the US with the payload itself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Feck the book, just watch the movie:

Part 1:

Meh, the film changed the plot of the book significantly in some cases from what I remember and not for the better.
    Gneez wrote: »
    Fatherland by robert harris was also terrible, it's a generic-evil-nazis-are-evil kind of book

Both books do well to instil 'white guilt' into the reader however, so read if you've got that liberal victim-complex that's oh so popular to have these days.

Actually Fatherland is really just a detective book set in an alternate version of history. It's very much a detective book first and foremost. As an aside, Nazism doesn't come across very 'evil' in it per se, more dystopian or Orwellian if that makes sense.

Ffs, I hate people trotting out the 'white guilt' bull****, it's such a load of bollocks. What reason could anybody posting here possibly have to feel guilty about Nazism and, reading between the lines, presumably the Holocaust. The entire idea is fcuking absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

We'd all get to marry lovely Germany women :D

Niiiiiiiiice :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

whiskeyman wrote: »
    We'd all be on Boards.de

'Now Ve are Talking, Ja.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Morlar wrote: »
    'Now Ve are Talking, Ja.'

"Boards.de - Jetzt redest du"

Not quite the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Omacron

German women, stern...stern but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Well Hitler wasn't exactly fond of Catholics either. I reckon that when he ran out of Jews to blame for everything, he would have turned on the Catholics.

I.E....we'd all be dead....we don't even number 6 million.

Although Hitler himself wasn't Catholic, both his parents were. He would have had to kill them if they had been alive at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Although Hitler himself wasn't Catholic, both his parents were. He would have had to kill them if they had been alive at that stage.
    he was, he even wanted to be a priest

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The real truth of the matter is here:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/England
    the normans were not french,they were [norsemen] a tribe of vikings from norway who lived in a part of france.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I actually think it would not be all that different to today. Taking Robert Harris's Fatherland as a closely researched alternate history, and thats likely the best researched alternate timeline.

1. Germany wins WWII. There is greater Germany. France, Italy, Spain, Ireland, UK, Norway, Sweden, etc are 'vassal states'.
    2. Adolf Hitler begins suffering from senility/insanity in his mid 1960's. This takes us to 1955. An internal coup takes place in the Nazi party, but Hitler remains as a figurehead. Hitler dies around 1969/1970 aged 80-81 years, but was not seen in public since 1967.

3. At this point in time, we have to take into account the East German experience, because it does bear similarities in being a totalitarian regime, with tight controls on its populace. Lets take a look at the factors involved.

(a) Germany is economically prosperous, but this comes at the price of enslaving surrounding countries.
    (b) Which state is likely to kick off.....and remove the shackles.
    (c) There WILL be localised revolts in Poland, Bohemia, Moravia, Slovakia, Baltic regions, Finland will certainly kick off. I see Finland removing the German yoke being the catalyst for the downfall. This takes place in 1971-1972.
    (d) Since Israel does not exist as we know it, the Yom Kippur war does not take place. The Middle East looks completely different. The Jews that have survived the holocaust are mainly in Asia, America and Canada. The truth about their elimination gradually emerges as a result of the events in (c), since a paper trail does exist. Some of those who survived through passage via Russia reveal what happened. The Russians assist.

Beyond 1975-1985 there is a gradual regression to the circumstances that exist today. These mainly take place through technology and liberalisation. The Nazi regime gradually implodes as it loses control, fear is reduced, there are mass protests, and the control and enslavement of vassal states is reduced.

Several differences I think.

(a) The Middle East is much more politically/economically stable.
    (b) The Holocaust is blamed on the Soviet Union until 1985-1990 when revelations take place.
    (c) Latin America is not all that different to now.

In Ireland:

Nothing to see.....initially very right wing and fascist, secret police, but thats not tolerated too easily. Its essentially like a resumption of the British occupation. A United Ireland does take place under a pseudo dictator who arrests and shoots many of the Unionist/Loyalist faction.

There is persecution of the Catholic church for its anti-Nazi stance. In fact, like Poland in the 1980's, this becomes the focus for a civil rights movement, insurrection, strikes, and liberalisation.

I've only scratched the surface here.

hitler believed that the german was a perfect race,blond blue eyes ect,everyone else was second class,the catholic church did not oppose hitler,in fact in many ways it suported the nazi party,taking gold and even prests running prison camps,they also used nazi slave labour,and it is well recorded that not one catholic nazi has ever been excommunicated,yet some of the judges who presided over the war trials had been threatened by the pope to be excommunicated,see the hidden holocaust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

DecentBee wrote: »

Ireland was also described as perfectly suited to military operations because of its "excellent network of roads"

Don't think the Nazis did very thorough research.

oh but they did , compared to the roads in Poland Ukraine Belarus and Russia ours WERE very good , the Germans lost so much time attacking and retreating on the steppes with NO roads- Ireland would be a much much better place for blitzkreig . life of brian quote springs 2 mind " what did the brits ever do for us ? " well for one thing roads !!!! and roads so good even Hitler liked them :D

Ireland was also described as perfectly suited to military operations because of its "excellent network of roads"

In the context of 1940's Europe, Ireland road network was one of the best and most extensive in terms of its coverage. Its misleading to look back with the eyes of 2010 at 1940.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I wouldn't be shelling out 25 quid a week for German lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    They even had their own vision of a Jewish homeland for a while albeit in Madagascar
    :eek:You really do learn something new everyday.

As long as I live, I will never understand or comprehend the Nazi hatred of Jews, or antisemitism in general. Frankly speaking every Jewish person I have encountered has been well educated, articulate, informative, cultured, good company. Thats on an individual basis.

Of course there are also financially illiterate psychopaths such as the current incumbents at the Federal Reserve such as Bob Bernanke, and the former chairman Alan Greenspan, upon which......I am sure many could express very colourful language towards.

The Madagascar plan was not feasible, which is why the Nazis decided on the Final Solution.

Still....the alternate history debate is interesting. Ireland becoming Independent a second time around in the 1970's makes for interesting discussion.

Advertisement