Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think Europe/Ireland would be like if Hitler won ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I imagine there'd be a lot less travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

And lots of blonde people with blue eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

You could never know, predicting an alternative history is like predicting the future to many unforeseeables which makes it all impossible.

But it is safe to say he never would have won because in any history he had no interest in "Jewish Physics" so the allies were always going to get the Abomb first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Hitler, as only one poster has mentioned, was not interested in the West. He wanted a German Empire in the East. Had he taken over the West he would have probably set up puppet regimes ( as with Vichy) but eventually withdrawn the troops, after the victory. Of course the Western countries would not be allowed to re-arm, but there would be no mass genocide as there wasn't in France. His racial theories on "whiteness" were very specific - anti-Jews and Slavs. Irish were considered second tier Aryans.

He was more hostile to the Church than Wibbs seems to suggest, as is clear by the extermination of the entire Catholic hierarchy in Poland. However I dont think that would have happened in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Fringes would be more acceptable and wouldn't just be for saps that listen to bands that don't exist yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Einhard wrote: »
    Read Fatherland by Robert Harris. Gives a good idea of a post-Nazi Europe. It's chilling in "banality of evil" kind of way.

Feck the book, just watch the movie:

Part 1:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We'd all have free Hugo Boss suits and shiny boots.

Nazis!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

LighterGuy wrote: »
    If they won ..
    - We would most likely be speaking german..

As a second language maybe.

Given their obsession with classifying people into groups based on (sometimes bizzare notions of) race/nationality I doubt they actually wanted the entire continent fluent in German as it would then make the task of identifying who was actally German far more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Einhard wrote: »
    Read Fatherland by Robert Harris. Gives a good idea of a post-Nazi Europe. It's chilling in "banality of evil" kind of way.

Feck the book, just watch the movie:

Part 1:
    Is that a young rupert perry jones ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

kincsem wrote: »
    We would all be driving Mercedes cars.

Next quesion?

Nah, Volkswagen Beetles.

We'd all be gay hairdressers who shop in Spar.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Endemic arthritis...from all the Goosestepping. Ooh, that has to hurt after a while.Me knees are turning to jelly just thinking bout it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The allies would be remembered as those tyrants that dropped atomic bombs on two cities full of innocent civilians in a last ditch act of desperation to turn the tide of the war and good old Adolph would be thought of as the hero who freed europe, simples. There's a good chance nobody would have to complain about Isreal oppressing anyone either :pac:

Not sure how it would have affected Ireland since we were neutral, although I'm sure we'd have been invaded eventualy, guess there wouldn't be any non-white immigrants, speaking german would be more common but unlikely as common as english still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

We'd probably have alot better infrastructure, not had the celtic tiger and most likely would have either reverted to Irish as our language or else adapted German, the North would never have happened as we'd be united under Hitler. Israel would not have occured and there would be alot more peace in the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The CIA would have won eventually anyway. Wikileaks would be more interesting.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

People would be more efficient. And blonde, we would all be blonde :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Omacron

We'd be screwed the Germans would have developed the atom bomb and tested it in Ireland where the geographical location as far west from Germany as you can get and the prevailing winds would minimize fallout for them. On the upside they'd probably leave the survivors alone as most of the island would be radioactive and full of mutants arguing with their second head to have one more drink for the ditch. Think Mad Max Thunderdrome and Father Ted rolled into one.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

All the post war Catholic church abuse towards children in this country wouldn't have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

The Man in The High Castle is a good book giving an alternative history like this. It's set in the USA though, and I don't remember any specific mention of Ireland.

I'd say we'd be a protectorate with a very strong German military presence. This is because the USA would be Japanese or still American, and we would be very very important strategically. Ireland would have very strong infrastructure. Irish people would be low status, comfortable and brainwashed and basically cheeky but basically servile tourist attractions for the German soldiers taking time off. All trad music and mysticism. The idea of Germany defeating the evil brits and providing for us would probably be the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Germany just wouldn't have the manpower or resources to keep such an empire afloat for long as the east of Ural Russians, USA and Britain could regroup, I reckon Germany would have signed treaties with these counties and pulled back to Greater Germany, Possibly having rights to access British military facilities but no occupation of Britain as in fairness the Brits would slaughter anyone who attempts to occupy their land and the Germans would know that.
    Once Hitlers dies the Reich would weaken and its rule outside Greater Germany would collapse due to possible German burnout and disinterest but the borders of Europe would be different and we would all be watching Le France want the German settlement zone back.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

charlemont wrote: »
    Germany just wouldn't have the manpower or resources to keep such an empire afloat for long as the east of Ural Russians, USA and Britain could regroup, I reckon Germany would have signed treaties with these counties and pulled back to Greater Germany, Possibly having rights to access British military facilities but no occupation of Britain as in fairness the Brits would slaughter anyone who attempts to occupy their land and the Germans would know that.
    Once Hitlers dies the Reich would weaken and its rule outside Greater Germany would collapse due to possible German burnout and disinterest but the borders of Europe would be different and we would all be watching Le France want the German settlement zone back.

Like they did with the Angles, Saxons, Vikings, Normans, I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

The man in the high castle was a terrible book, written by someone who was clearly losing his mind, it's disjointed and large parts of it make little sense.

Fatherland by robert harris was also terrible, it's a generic-evil-nazis-are-evil kind of book

Both books do well to instil 'white guilt' into the reader however, so read if you've got that liberal victim-complex that's oh so popular to have these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

History is a fact based pursuit and speculation and "what ifs" don't belong with it. the possibilities are truly infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We wouldnt have rodent children running around with their hands down their pants and tracksuit bottoms tucked into their socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plenum

My guess would be we would all be wearing striped pyjamas and have skinheads. In one of his speeches he referred to Ireland as a cabbage patch...
    But doesnt Germany tell us what to do now anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The way the heirarchy was structured almost guarantees a Nazi German wouldn't have survived Hitler's death anyway. He would be dead of old age by now. There's speculation that he may have had the beginnings of Parkinsons.

A few authors have suggested Adolf Eickemann would have been the most worthy successor. Goering was a liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Gneez wrote: »
    The man in the high castle was a terrible book, written by someone who was clearly losing his mind, it's disjointed and large parts of it make little sense.

Fatherland by robert harris was also terrible, it's a generic-evil-nazis-are-evil kind of book

Both books do well to instil 'white guilt' into the reader however, so read if you've got that liberal victim-complex that's oh so popular to have these days.
    Nope you're completely wrong and therefore you are clearly losing your mind ;) It was very good.
    All major plot points were decided by use of the I Ching apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Firstly, the Nazis would have controlled the Church. In Germany, I'm pretty sure that any bishops who didn't join the party before the war either died or got the sack.

Secondly, the south of Ireland would be a popular tourist spot of Nazi officers. They loved the occult, and it is believed that they had a few burial sites marked throughout Europe where German officers would have sex with their wives in the belief that if they conceived a child on top of the burial site, their child would contain the ghost of past warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Ahh, perhaps I should have read this thread first. It would have explained OP's comment on the Dale Farm thread. OP seems to have a Nazi complex, but then again, his username is giving a hint.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jayteecork wrote: »
    Like they did with the Angles, Saxons, Vikings, Normans, I suppose?

Pretty sure the british empire was formed by the descendents of those people so not really the same situation at all! (I could be wrong with my time-line though).

Advertisement