Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ze Bulli

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have you tried leaving the coil down a bit or up a bit? experiment a bit with the position of the coil in the a2 classic mode before you give up on it

honestly cant imagine a difference in airhole position as small as you say it is would have that huge a difference in performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yep, tried up, down, close to posts, away from posts, 3 strands, 4 strands, different voltages, different wick..,,,,,I actually got a better vape having the hole on the same side as the coil but still not brilliant. The vapour was good but lacked flavour.

I'll drill a hole in the right place and put some tape or something over the hole that's there now next week just to see. If that solves it I'll fill the hole.

derra used a chopstick to fill the airhole on one of his before

I've learned quite a bit about the tank during all my messing around over the last few days actually. I was leaving the legs long and lifting the coil around and above the screws originally. I'm keeping the turns real close together and lifting up the middle of the posts now. What a difference. Its much easier to do it when Ive wound the wire around the screws before tightening. The flavour is great, the vapour is absolutely outstanding. I can chain vape using mesh with a hole down the centre and it doesn't lose a beat. No harshness to the flavour either. It's lovely and soft but really 'full'.

I'm dying to have a go with the classic with a hole in the second ring but I'd have to rip this set up apart to try it.......

Suppose I could always just remove the upper section and stick on the classic section. The hole would be in line with the coil then and I could just take a toot and see what it's like......

just buy another bulli :p

• Advertisement

Ha, ya must be joking. Between the RDA and the Bulli I have everything I need. Especially if I can get the classic working.

Not buying anything else for a long time.......

Okay. I drilled a 1mm hole in the right place this time. It's a good bit better but still disappointing in terms of vapour and still too strong in flavour/harshness. Looks like it performs best if the coil is down towards the base for me.

Bit too harsh for me still though. Might try an o-ring next week just to try fine tune it. The tank beats the hell out of it in terms of vapour. Tons of vapour from the tank but I must admit that the flavour is not quite as clean for some reason.

The Classic seems to be very fiddly if you have to mess with getting the coil at exactly the right height but I'll give it a go next week.

http://frink.nuigalway.ie/~mordeth/bulli/

heres some pictures i took of where my coil is in relation to the posts

i didnt resize them so they wouldnt lose any quality, awkward enough to see properly with something that small

Thanks Sir Digby! Mine looks exactly the same except I only had small loops. I'll put an o-ring in next time and fine tune it and maybe that'll fix it.

Looks like that airhole position is key. It was a huge improvement but just didn't have time to mess any more with it. If its that key, it might be difficult to get it right drilling the hole myself.

Thanks Sir Digby! Mine looks exactly the same except I only had small loops. I'll put an o-ring in next time and fine tune it and maybe that'll fix it.

Looks like that airhole position is key. It was a huge improvement but just didn't have time to mess any more with it. If its that key, it might be difficult to get it right drilling the hole myself.

• Advertisement

I made a genesis style set up with the Bulli tank and it rocks! Absolutely rocks. Single mesh wick/2 strands of wick for flexibility. Moved the long screw and spacer to the other pole and put the short screw in the other post.

nice
    i'm actually interested in getting an a2-t if it can be done in genesis mode... sounds nifty

although I wonder how fast you'll fly through 1ml of juice using it as a genesis

Not too bad I think. Not much faster then the tank, I think. I'll know tomorrow. Man, this is great and pretty easy to set up cos I've never done genesis style before.

Revision..........it was great until I took the tank off and the wick came with it. It was a nice experiment but too hard to get the wick stable with the tank. A few go's and it will be better.

Edit: I took out the strands and used mesh on its own and rolled it a bit thinner on top so that the spike section doesn't grip it as tightly and will turn. Working well again now. Probably better if I could put a spacer on the ground post so that I don't have to have the wire on an angle to the screw at the base.

By the way, I took out the spike section a while back and I'm not sure it's at the right angle to the airhole. It's either right or off by 45 deg. That could probably affect airflow because the airhole is under one of the cut out sections of the spike base. Difficult to get it out and back in again so don't want to go at it unless I know it's wrong.

Edit 2: gets a bit easier after a bit of messing around. The great thing about the mesh is that you can just take it out, roll it again and screw it back into the coil so you aren't wasting heaps of wick. I've got a nice set up now. Rolled a bit slimmer going through the spike and I can even take off the whole upper section without the mesh twisting. Fantastic flavour after the first ml or two.

decided to fiddle about with my aluminium bulli last night and made up a coil with 4 wraps of .15 nichrome, trying to get a decent low ohm coil that was a little higher than what i'd get with six wraps of .20 nichrome

ended up around 1.6ohms, which is decent but the weird thing for me is the vapour and flavour are much improved. i would have assumed more wraps of wire = more vapour, I know the resistance would affect the flavour but I'm used to the variations in flavour from going up or down a watt or two, this improvement feels more coil dependant than based on the resistance.

another weird thing.. i'm having to drip more often. I wonder if having six wraps on the coil in the bulli was too tight for the small space in there.. maybe I was making it too tight and it just wasn't vapourising the juice as efficiently as it should, so I was getting longer than I oughta before needing to redrip.

luckily enough I have a few metres of .15 kanthal so I'll have plenty of time to try it out and see if I do prefer this to .20 nichrome, still pretty surprised by it. always just assumed more wraps was better, up to a point.. sure as hell wouldn't have assumed 4-6 wraps was that point.

I got the classic working too. The original hole was right (if a bit off in terms of centreing). Think I was winding the coils too close when I was at it originally and I was getting a cold as well so the TH was brutal!

I'm using 5 turns of 0.15 kanthal and 4 strands of 1mm wick @ 4v with a bit wider spacing between the coils.

The tank is a fantastic bit of kit though, but a little muted in flavour. Vapour is outstanding from it though.

The Bulli stuff really does take a lot of work to get right but works great when you get it right. Suits the twist well too.

what resistance you getting with 5 turns of .15?

yeah derra said that about the classic tank alright, it's supposed to wick the juice real well though. should vape till almost dry. funny you say that about the bulli, I found that about the RDA.. and I still wouldn't be confident I could get it working right every time :)

Not sure.....multimeter is in work but I expect its around 2.0. Yeah, there's a 'fuller' vapour from the tank but the taste is not quite there either with wick or mesh. The tank is kinda long as well. I'd still prefer the tank overall cos its easy to set up and the draw is nicer but the classic is easier to fill and holds more too I think.

I hate the mouthpiece in the classic though. Whistle tip with small hole.

yeah, thats a huge reason why I dont think i'll ever use them
    it's no hassle to just carry a 5-10ml bottle in your pocket and drip whenever you want to

if I had a spare drip tip adapter I'd send it on to you so you could try the classic in dripper mode. I prefer it to the RDA, although it doesn't have the capacity the rda does

every juice I have is better with only 4 wraps of wire on the coil

my whole world has just been turned upside down

• Advertisement

You have to get your hands on a Bulli tank Digby. I know you're big into the vapour aspect and I must say, the vapour from the tank is absolutely unbelievable compared to the classic. The coil is so much closer to your mouth with the tank I suppose. I remove the baffles from the mouthpiece and it gives a lovely draw.

The funny thing is that I spent 2 weeks barely resisting throwing it in the bin until I got it licked. When you get to grips with it though, it's very forgiving.

Just use a mesh only feeder wick with a hole through the centre and its wicks perfect.

Looks great on a twist too. It's my go to now ahead of the RDA.

Off topic but......got the VH Genesis today - what a difficult atty to set up it is! The top of the coil is hot spot central. Just cant seem to master it yet..............

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Off topic but......got the VH Genesis today - what a difficult atty to set up it is! The top of the coil is hot spot central. Just cant seem to master it yet..............

Try leaning the top of the coil towards the centre post to minimse the distance between them. After oxidising your mesh drop some liquid on it and set it alight then rub the top half of the wick in cotton wool...some small bits should stick. Also, don't have the wires around the coil too tight as they'll cut into the oxidisation. You can also try moving the wire that's giving the hotspot slightly with a cocktail stick. Another way is to wrap your wire around a drill bit or similar...one that fits snugly into the coil hole. When it's in attach the bottom and top wires to their respective nuts, remove drill bit, pulse with an ego battery or vv on low voltage about 5 times. Insert your coil and you should be good to go and hotspot free.

Thanks! I'll have another go later if I get a chance. Worst yoke yet to get right.......but a nice bit of kit.

Tried the drill bit method but the flipping 2mm drill bit didnt fit down into the tank........maybe the bit is slightly bigger or the hole slightly smaller. Used a paper clip and the mesh until it fitted snugly into the hole but not too snug. Took it out and put 5 wraps of 0.2 kanthal around the wick (with paper clip still inside) and tightened from the top first and then the base. Flicked it on at 3.2v and the whole coil went red rather than just the top bit. Loaded up with juice and it vaped well with a slight metallic taste. Took off the top and set it on fire with a lighter for a minute or so and blew it out. Stuck the cap back on and it's working great! Multimeter is in work so I'll check what resistance is tomorrow.

This is one solid bit of kit though. Feels really well built and my air hole is aligned correctly out of the box too. I'm using the clear tank on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Feels really well built and my air hole is aligned correctly out of the box too.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: Got such a fit of laughing when I read this piece :D:D:D:D
    Soz just a warped sense of Welsh humour ;)

Tried the drill bit method but the flipping 2mm drill bit didnt fit down into the tank........maybe the bit is slightly bigger or the hole slightly smaller. Used a paper clip and the mesh until it fitted snugly into the hole but not too snug. Took it out and put 5 wraps of 0.2 kanthal around the wick (with paper clip still inside) and tightened from the top first and then the base. Flicked it on at 3.2v and the whole coil went red rather than just the top bit. Loaded up with juice and it vaped well with a slight metallic taste. Took off the top and set it on fire with a lighter for a minute or so and blew it out. Stuck the cap back on and it's working great! Multimeter is in work so I'll check what resistance is tomorrow.

This is one solid bit of kit though. Feels really well built and my air hole is aligned correctly out of the box too. I'm using the clear tank on it.

Interesting way to do it with the paper clip but whatever works is good. You really should strip everything down when you buy it and give it a good wash in soapy water, rinse it out and let it dry overnight to get rid of any machine oil from the factory....that's probably the metallic taste. It'll probably disappear anyway after the first tank is used. I have the clear tank too...good value at £1...plus I picked up the repair kit. Mine wasn't too well built and took a bit of work....isolators were shot and had to grind down the top cap in order to align it properly plus the nuts don't look the best. Still, good value at the price and if you can get it working well you'll get most genesis atties working right.

Another trick which seems to have worked but I dont know whether or not it's a "good" thing by the experts or not? After I get the coil/wick pretty good I set it on fire. It burns away nicely (if it's wicking properly). When the whole coil and wick have turned orange I blow it out and the whole thing glows evenly after that. I suppose it's a kind of in-situ oxidation?

Filling this thing is a real pain though............faffing about with an allan key and the bottle with the blunt needle..........

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

After just buying one of Gryzors bullis I'm glad I've been reading this thread the last few months :-) looking forward to playing

• Advertisement

Filling this thing is a real pain though............faffing about with an allan key and the bottle with the blunt needle..........

Block the filling hole with a tissue and fill slowly thru the coil

Advertisement