Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A 64mph gust at Dublin Airport.

Quite impressive really.

74mph at Malin Head

But the gusts here seem to be very short lived, literally a few seconds so unlikely to be damaging. Some were so short that I wonder if the anemometer has time to spin up & record them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

There is a shocking unconfirmed report of a large caravan having being sighted floating in the middle of Clew Bay. :eek:

It is thought it could be a slave ship having been blown off course from the trade winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Not wrote: »
    The 'wind' is not even ruffling the blades of grass :rolleyes:

Theres not much grass there but it is moving in the same direction as him in fairness .

Still stormy here at the moment, no huge waves yet really , just moderate ones and some crashing off cliffs. Tide is pretty low at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Pangea wrote: »
    Theres not much grass there but it is moving in the same direction as him in fairness .

Still stormy here at the moment, no huge waves yet really , just moderate ones and some crashing off cliffs. Tide is pretty low at the moment.

That must be a renegade blade then so in the foreground :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

A 64mph gust at Dublin Airport.

Quite impressive really.

There was a tree down earlier at Northwood, partially blocking the main avenue through the park. Be careful there , some of the trees are quite old.

• Advertisement

Even at peak winds the waves in Galway bay were not especially high. I think that the wind was too gusty - not enough sustained wind. So the seas are chaotic rather than high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Keep an eye out on the roads for flying debris, a car in front of me clattered a piece of plywood on the motorway this morning. Plywood more or less exploded showering my car and people behind me with shrapnel. Luckily no accident or damage to cars, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Discodog wrote: »
    Were there any reports of thunder especially with the temperature staying so high ? I wonder if the still relatively strong sunlight, that's breaking through in the West, will trigger any convective activity & squalls ?

EDIT I reckon that Donegal pic is rigged. You would need a serious windspeed to hold a man horizontal & it would be very difficult to hold a camera steady.

Ah you're winding us up surely?? Of course it's rigged, he held onto the sign and jumped sideways!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apparently we have about 6,000 homes without power here in Donegal. Thankfully I'm in one of the more sheltered areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Gust wind speed chart updated up to 1.pm: (Malin Head data from 6am now included)
    174113.JPG

A linear decline at Belmullet whereas speeds are fairly constant at both Oak Park and Dublin Airport. Malin Head doing well although speeds seem to be flattening out over the last couple of hours here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wind about 1/3 of what it was since 8am here in Cbar. Either is blowing itself out or gone out for the lunch! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭crushproof

Keep an eye out on the roads for flying debris, a car in front of me clattered a piece of plywood on the motorway this morning. Plywood more or less exploded showering my car and people behind me with shrapnel. Luckily no accident or damage to cars, i think.

Lucky you weren't crusing around in a convertible!

Pretty hectic in Dun Laoghaire harbour, 2 yachts have ripped off their moorings and clattering against the pie while another yacht was bowled over and capsied by the waves, fun time to be out for a healthy stroll along the pier! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my weatherstation maxed at 50.9kmh (a new record recorede 48 in may) considering its fairly sheltered thats pretty windy

http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/start.html

2 miles outside donegal town (still have electric)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The amount of seaweed along Salthill Prom earlier suggests that the sea was definetely out onto the road earlier during 6am high tide,huge pools of water in Blackrock too.I live in Salthill and the amount of sand on my window right now is incredible,havent seen it like that before.Im heading down at 6pm for this evenings high tide.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wind back from lunch. Not as bad but still blowing a nice one.

It seems like the only real difference between this storm & typical Autumn gales will be the duration of the winds & not the strength. Most gales blow themselves out pretty quickly whereas it still looks like it will be windy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

In kilkee now just back from a walk up the cliffs. WOW is all i can say, the strength in the wind is crazy and its a constant force, like a permanent gust or something. The waves look great tooka few video but probably not great as on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My hunch about the duration of the wind being the most notable thing about this system, rather than the strength of the wind, seems to be correct. In a major storm we get gusts of well above 90 mph. Actually in a normal Irish winter it's not unusual for Belmullet to gets gusts in the high eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXFe9fbyj28

conditions earlier on the coast near louisburgh, nothing spectacular...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

My hunch about the duration of the wind being the most notable thing about this system, rather than the strength of the wind, seems to be correct. In a major storm we get gusts of well above 90 mph. Actually in a normal Irish winter it's not unusual for Belmullet to gets gusts in the high eighties.

That's true Nacho - it's been so long I think we've all forgotten what the Atlantic is capable of throwing at us.

Today was certainly nothing to get excited about, on this part of the coast anyway
    Here in Galway city the strongest winds occurred between 9.00-9.30am with a gust of 56mph and mean speeds of 33mph
    Since then I've been recording gusts of between 33-43mph with an average of 22mph

As Discodog pointed out earlier, what is most surprising the height of the waves in the Bay - very unimpressive - scroll down to the Bowwaves webcam
    http://www.bowwaves.com/sea_area_forecast.php

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max of 58km/h recorded earlier. Not surprised it was nothing spectacular
    Data from www.waterfordcityweather.com

Fionagus wrote: »
    As Discodog pointed out earlier, what is most surprising the height of the waves in the Bay - very unimpressive - scroll down to the Bowwaves webcam
    http://www.bowwaves.com/sea_area_forecast.php

It is a bit strange especially as it was windy on Saturday & Sunday so with the full moon, tides, SW winds, one would of expected much higher seas.

But also it appears to have cleared to very few showers so no squalls.
    All in all quite different to a typical Autumn storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Discodog wrote: »
    It is a bit strange especially as it was windy on Saturday & Sunday so with the full moon, tides, SW winds, one would of expected much higher seas.

But also it appears to have cleared to very few showers so no squalls.
    All in all quite different to a typical Autumn storm.

I was just about to post the same thing. The few showers we had here today we had some high gusts but apart from that it hasn't been as windy as I would have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Max wind I recorded here so far today in Dundalk, Co.Louth was 73 km/h @ 8:52am. For the last hour the winds are 20 - 40 km/h, 992 hPA, 15.8c

Still very stormy here, strong gusts still, no sign of it dieing down. It will be interesting when high tide comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It seems Cork City's more or less escaped it entirely. There was a little bit of gusting but nothing very dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think what made this seem like less of an event than it was is because it has been a predominately dry and partly cloudy day with good spells of sun.

If you had this wind coupled with heavy rain there would be a different feeling.

It came as forecasts although gusts along the north coast have been around 8-10 knots short of what some expected. The rest of country got gusts as i would of expected of upto 65mph. I would have perhaps expected to see a 70mph gust in Dublin but that was the tops.

I think what made this seem like less of an event than it was is because it has been a predominately dry and partly cloudy day with good spells of sun..

Less of an event in Dublin/the East maybe but we got plenty of rain with the wind down here with zero sunshine all day.

Will RTE be on the weather again tonite apologising for the East not getting the wind :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Plenty of blowing rain here throughout the day, seems to be falling once it hits the high terrain in central Donegal. Nothing compared to Scotland though where there must be some pretty bad flooding north of Glasgow by now

As others have said though its more the duration than the strength thats notable, still no sign of it letting up here

Advertisement