Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

eddiem10 wrote: »
    MIDWEST NEWS HAS REPORTS OF ELECTRICITY OUTAGES IN THE NORTH MAYO AREA THIS MORNING – IN THE ENNISCOE AREA AND OTHER AREAS IN THE CROSSMOLINA REGION.

THE ESB AS YET, HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY REASON FOR THE DISRUPTION TO SUPPLY. :D:D:D

I have family in Crossmolina, must see what the story is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

irish1967 wrote: »
    All over here now I'd say calmed down a lot and brightened up on the last half hour.

Hmm, are you sure??
    Latest Met Éireann forecasts for the Regional Airports, valid 1000 - 1900 Z:

Donegal Airport: SW 55 gust 75 knots
    Sligo Airport: SW 45 gust 65 knots

More here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Ok here's the latest from your rover weather reporter - just walked the dogs by the sea near Galway !

Skies clearing & wind starting to edge NW.

Winds as low as 10mph at times but then longer gusts to 30mph & two very short "punches" at 40mph & 47mph. The higher gusts only lasting for a few seconds - just enough to measure them.

Also it felt like the strongest gusts were coming more from the SW even though the clouds are moving WNW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There's barely a light breeze here in Cork city.............

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Very windy along the Shannon in Athlone. Some power outages across the bridge. One tree down from what I could see, some shop signs blown over to the other side of town which made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

137kmph gust of wind recorded at Aran Island, Donegal:eek:

Got that off the irishweatheronline site...should probably read Arranmore

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Definitely worse in now in the last hour, spent the last 20 mins trying to secure 20ft planks as they were been lifted up in the air even with 10 4" solid blocks left on top of them!! They now have 30 blocks on top, hope the hell that holds them!!!

Still power here, for now!!! Tide is on its way in in the next few hours so we can expect the peak of it then. Always see that around here, when the tide comes in the wind hits hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Gusts here of 60 - 74 km/h so far, hope it doesn't get much worse.

Few classic whistling gusts and sustained rumble here the last 20 minutes, definitely kicked up a notch on the beaufort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

There's barely a light breeze here in Cork city.............

Gentle breeze my WS says :) 23.4km/h currently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

137kmph gust of wind recorded at Aran Island, Donegal:eek:

Got that off the irishweatheronline site...should probably read Arranmore

I wonder who recorded that. No station there I think.

• Advertisement

No sign of it dieing down here, winds getting stronger now.
    Nuala Carey said winds will get even stronger up here in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wind must have shifted a bit here then Pangea. If it shifts from SW to WSW I become sheltered. Definitely not a strong here ad at 10.30ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

jus after gettin very windy again around here in the last half hour ..

pity my new weather station hasnt landed yet !! bet it will land tomorrow when this is over :(

Again I ask people to keep this thread for technical discussion, forecasts and observations only, and use the chat thread for all other discussion.

And for the sake of those users on their phones, if you're posting an observation, please put in your location, as your profile location does not come up in the mobile version of boards.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

wind has shifted in the last hour to westerly here ,(foxford)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Very windy here in Thurles : 35-40mph winds and blowing consistently.
    edit : temperature is 15 celsius and it is dry at the moment. Winds veering west/south westerly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Satellite animation I did up for IWO for the last 18hrs or so of the northeast Atlantic region.
    Katia-ani.gif
    You can almost see the surge of strong westerly winds developing and aiming for Ireland as the low pressure moved off the northwest coast.

Image source: Meteogalicia

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Gusting 49 knots in Dun Laoghaire, peak gust just a few mins ago.

http://www.dlharbour.ie/weather/index_24hrs.php

Wind's getting quite dangerous here now.

This was taken from Donegal Daily

9wap2.jpg

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/09/12/updated-donegal-in-the-eye-of-hurricane-katia-storm/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

http://http://www.windfinder.com/report/donegal_airport_carrickfinn

Link to Carrickfinn aerport in Co. Donegal. Not sure what exactly the red vertical lines are on the graph but at a guess i would say gusts.... and therefore Violent storm 11 force gusts...

• Advertisement

Here are live metars for Donegal and Sligo Airports

http://www.dawn-it.com/met/

Highest gust on 11am met reports 56 knots at Dublin Airport:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Highest gust on 11am met reports 56 knots at Dublin Airport:

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

that was 12:00 .. malin was 65

Pangea wrote: »
    Wind's getting quite dangerous here now.

This was taken from Donegal Daily

9wap2.jpg

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/09/12/updated-donegal-in-the-eye-of-hurricane-katia-storm/

That guy was lucky he didn't crack his head open on the bottom of that sign while he was performing that stunt!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

06Z this morning.
    Rtavn001.png

And into Tuesday morning
    Rtavn181.png

Looks like we'll have strong winds through the day and into tomorrow morning, albeit not as strong as we currently have

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Were there any reports of thunder especially with the temperature staying so high ? I wonder if the still relatively strong sunlight, that's breaking through in the West, will trigger any convective activity & squalls ?

EDIT I reckon that Donegal pic is rigged. You would need a serious windspeed to hold a man horizontal & it would be very difficult to hold a camera steady.

John mac wrote: »
    that was 12:00 .. malin was 65

Thanks, defo need new glasses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A 64mph gust at Dublin Airport.

Quite impressive really.

74mph at Malin Head

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

That guy was lucky he didn't crack his head open on the bottom of that sign while he was performing that stunt!

surly thats a photoshop job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Discodog wrote: »
    Were there any reports of thunder especially with the temperature staying so high ? I wonder if the still relatively strong sunlight, that's breaking through in the West, will trigger any convective activity & squalls ?

EDIT I reckon that Donegal pic is rigged. You would need a serious windspeed to hold a man horizontal & it would be very difficult to hold a camera steady.

The 'wind' is not even ruffling the blades of grass :rolleyes:

Advertisement