Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Spose if they get rid of the alien invasion the damn thing will break again. This happened back in august too.

Can we have our Dooncarton and Mt. Gabriel radars please, instead of this farce. :(

swirl.jpg

That's the new Shannon rain shield at full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

snow ghost wrote: »

apolagies for going off topic but....why do they call themselves midwest radio:confused: when they cover donegal mayo galway..surely it should be northwest radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Winds have picked up again in strength with some nice strong prolonged gusts here in West Limerick.

Seems about the same as 0500 this morning.

Nice and warm though and still dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We have a gust to 60mph in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

fryup wrote: »
    apolagies for going off topic but....why do they call themselves midwest radio:confused: when they cover donegal mayo galway..surely it should be northwest radio

They only really cover Mayo now, 'the West' - as a traditional term for a part of this island - is essentially Connacht and Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Really getting going here in south Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Fionagus wrote: »
    As is the usual when we have a combination of wind and high tide in Galway City the car park at Toft Park/Aquarium is currently flooded. ...

Im surprised the car park is still flooded. Its low tide at about 12, and high tide isnt till 6pm this evening. It was a good thing so that the peak of the winds came near low tide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Im surprised the car park is still flooded. Its low tide at about 12, and high tide isnt till 6pm this evening. It was a good thing so that the peak of the winds came near low tide!

That piece of land floods every time we get a bit of a blow & high tides in Galway - a daft place to put a car park :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That little shortwave to the southwest of the main low may need to be watched cautiously, could kink them isobars very tight.

Watch it. Dont think it will cause too much fuss over it this run.

Rtavn181.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Latest Met Éireann forecasts for the Regional Airports, valid 1000 - 1900 Z:

Donegal Airport: SW 55 gust 75 knots
    Sligo Airport: SW 45 gust 65 knots

More here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Su Campu wrote: »
    Latest Met Éireann forecasts for the Regional Airports, valid 1000 - 1900 Z:

Donegal Airport: SW 55 gust 75 knots
    Sligo Airport: SW 45 gust 65 knots

More here

75 knots is 86.31 mph..impressive..will it go over 90?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

We have liftoff here in Dublin 15. It's been very windy all morning but we're on another level now. The entire building I'm in is shaking the wind is so strong. No joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

All over here now I'd say calmed down a lot and brightened up on the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17DravoEAl0

gusts are a little stronger now though since i filmed this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

After a relatively calmer hour here things are picking up again and getting persistantly windier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

fryup wrote: »

They don't cover Donegal, NorthWest Radio used to cover Donegal, it was a sister radio station to Mid West Radio. Ocean Fm has replaced it.

irish1967 wrote: »
    All over here now I'd say calmed down a lot and brightened up on the last half hour.
    Still Stormy here. I'm sure theres more to come Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Chart showing wind gusts in Knots at 3 select met stations since 5am (apologies, missed out on 9am reports :o)

174096.JPG

Up to 10am. gusts seem to be declining in strength a little a Belmullet, but increasing at Dub Apt and Oak Park

Edit: updated to 11am. Gust speed leveling off a little at Belmullet, now declining at Dub Apt but continuing to increase at Oak Park

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

kyub wrote: »
    It's been very windy all morning but we're on another level now. The entire building I'm in is shaking the wind is so strong. No joke!
    Same here, it's really getting strong now, don't think my fence can cope with much more of this wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Cork Time 11:13 12/0911

@02:30 I'm showing a gust of 58.7kmh [31knotts approx]

Currently Sunny with winds of 18kmh DRY

DRY, no rain recorded since midnight????

993 hPa rising from a low of 983 @ 03:09 [today].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lilymc

kyub wrote: »
    We have liftoff here in Dublin 15. It's been very windy all morning but we're on another level now. The entire building I'm in is shaking the wind is so strong. No joke!

Same here in Dublin 8... building is shaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Gusts here of 60 - 74 km/h so far, hope it doesn't get much worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

11 oc Malin finally tops at 60KT Mace 59 and Mullet 56.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

L
    Fionagus wrote: »
    That piece of land floods every time we get a bit of a blow & high tides in Galway - a daft place to put a car park :rolleyes:
    I love the warning picture with the submerged car! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Gust of 79.5km/h here in Dundalk

www.dundalkweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Getting some serious gusts here now, Castletroy, Limerick, seems stronger than earlier... giving the auld wooden panels on my fence a good testing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

"At about 11:00 BST, a gust of 74mph was reported at Castlederg, County Tyrone"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-northern-ireland-14879075

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

MIDWEST NEWS HAS REPORTS OF ELECTRICITY OUTAGES IN THE NORTH MAYO AREA THIS MORNING – IN THE ENNISCOE AREA AND OTHER AREAS IN THE CROSSMOLINA REGION.

THE ESB AS YET, HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY REASON FOR THE DISRUPTION TO SUPPLY. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met Eireanns latest forecast said very windy tomorrow for the North with severe gusts. 65 Knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Some serious gusts here in salthill at the moment not many walking the Prom today!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eddiem10 wrote: »
    MIDWEST NEWS HAS REPORTS OF ELECTRICITY OUTAGES IN THE NORTH MAYO AREA THIS MORNING – IN THE ENNISCOE AREA AND OTHER AREAS IN THE CROSSMOLINA REGION.

THE ESB AS YET, HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY REASON FOR THE DISRUPTION TO SUPPLY. :D:D:D

I'd say it's those damn wire pixies again!

On a weather-note, there are now some fairly strong gusts in Cork City centre. First ones I've noticed this morning (11:31am). It was quite windy at around 3 or 4 am too.

Advertisement