Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU motorbike laws - Protests all over EU 25th Sept

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

ratracer wrote: »
    This post reaffirms why i won't be attending any protest. Illegal cans making huge noise will not do any favours with gen public who don't care about bikers anyway.

Ah yes, because there are some bikers who fit loud exhausts to their bikes then you're going to use that as an excuse not to attend. Well don't come on here moaning about any new laws that are put into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

thecivvie wrote: »
    And what about boy racers who go around with their big loud exhausts, which are also illegal, they remove them at the time of their nct and put them back on as soon as they pass.

It is time to be there and show your face, so as to speak. The more that turn up, the more they will notice

It's also quite easy to do that on a bike to if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Wow. I have zero interest in bikes but even too me the stuff in the op is crazy.
    Good luck with the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ah yes, because there are some bikers who fit loud exhausts to their bikes then you're going to use that as an excuse not to attend. Well don't come on here moaning about any new laws that are put into place.

No, if there was a reasonable point to argue over I would consider it. I drive my bike quite happily every day, in all weathers (which will be more than can be said for a lot of others) and i'm overly bothered by any of the proposals. Some of the mass hysteria on here is just ridiculous.

There is no way any law will come into place saying you can't service your own bike. Doesn't happen for anything else with an engine.
    Race cans are marked not road legal because they are not road legal.
    Big difference between road legal tyres and race tyres.
    DRL's make sense and are already the law.
    Hi Viz: Whether us bikers like it or not, we have a smaller visiblity than cars. Does it not make sense to give yourself every chance of being seen by the lunatics with steering wheels in their hands?

I have never moaned about anything here before, i have offered my opinion on a comment. Is that not the whole purpose of sites like this in the first place?

No, if there was a reasonable point to argue over I would consider it. I drive my bike quite happily every day, in all weathers (which will be more than can be said for a lot of others) and i'm overly bothered by any of the proposals. Some of the mass hysteria on here is just ridiculous.

There is no way any law will come into place saying you can't service your own bike. Doesn't happen for anything else with an engine.
    Race cans are marked not road legal because they are not road legal.
    Big difference between road legal tyres and race tyres.
    DRL's make sense and are already the law.
    Hi Viz: Whether us bikers like it or not, we have a smaller visiblity than cars. Does it not make sense to give yourself every chance of being seen by the lunatics with steering wheels in their hands?

I have never moaned about anything here before, i have offered my opinion on a comment. Is that not the whole purpose of sites like this in the first place?

So do you use your ability to predict the future just in relation to new laws being proposed or for other things?

And you are missing the point that is being made. Yes there are plenty of extras that are illegal to have on road bikes, the proposal is to make these extras illegal on all bikes, be it a race bike or not. Won't that just do wonders for countless sections of the motorbike industry?

Why should we be told what to wear on the bike? There are no regulations about protective gear but they are trying to bring in regulations about hi viz? So as long as I have my hi viz singlet on me I'm all set for the road regardless of what other gear I have on?

Are you willing to be the only type of road user that the gardai can plug something into your bike and possibly prosecute you for something they don't actually catch you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

"I can confirm that the RSA has not dropped the position outlined in the Motorcycle Action plan. We do intend to seek to introduce the measure in 2014, subject to consultation with motorcyclists and industry on the most appropriate type of hi-vis material and possible solutions."

- Brian Farrell, Communications Manager, Road Safety Authority, in an e-mail to MAG UK about mandatory high viz, Monday 19th September 2011.

This is the first official verification MAG has had since the publication of the National Motorcycle Safety Action Plan 201-2014 that the RSA has already decided on a course of action for which there is no compelling evidence of effectiveness.

The RSA has oficially confirmed it - You are going to be forced to wear a long sleeve high visibiliy jacket in 2014. So is your pillion if you carry one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

carsQhere wrote: »
    "I can confirm that the RSA has not dropped the position outlined in the Motorcycle Action plan. We do intend to seek to introduce the measure in 2014, subject to consultation with motorcyclists and industry on the most appropriate type of hi-vis material and possible solutions."
    - Brian Farrell, Communications Manager, Road Safety Authority, in an e-mail to MAG UK about mandatory high viz, Monday 19th September 2011.

This is the first official verification MAG has had since the publication of the National Motorcycle Safety Action Plan 201-2014 that the RSA has already decided on a course of action for which there is no compelling evidence of effectiveness.

The RSA has oficially confirmed it - You are going to be forced to wear a long sleeve high visibiliy jacket in 2014. So is your pillion if you carry one.

If a Numpty pulls a SMIDSY, its your fault if you weren't dressed like a garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

It's also quite easy to do that on a bike to if needs be.

True but are they banning them on cars? No.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Anyone come accross any you tube videos or the like from Today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

There is no mention of it anywhere. Nothing on youtube, news websites or forums. Did it go ahead today at all?? No matter, I'll still be doing the Galway one tomorrow anyhoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Nice one!! Looks and sounds good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Good look with the protest tomorrow lads, I've to work all day so won't be able to make it..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

hi on the 25th we are meetin at balbriggan apple station .. can any meet up at swords and then off to the m50 ect or every go to balbriggan ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alanlawlor

Simply blaming car drivers for not paying enough attention is a cop-out - it is a 2-way street (forgive the pun!) and I cannot see any problem with legislation enforcing wearing a hi-vis jacket/vest or mandatory keeping your lights on all the time while driving.
    (a) a hi-vis vest costs 5 euro and could be worn over your jacket
    (b) I am a car driver and always keep my lights on
    - anything that make you more visible on the road is not a bad thing and motorcyclists (and pedal cyclists) are more vunerable on the road than car users.
    Regarding the other bits of legislation - they are nonsense and I agree with the other points of protest - why can not the governments introduce an NCT-style test for bikes ? To check lights, brakes and other essential safety-aspects of the bike are up to standard? A 20-year old custom bike with so-called racing modifications could well be far safer than a 6-month old bike with failing lights or brakes - a test of each individual bike periodically would be a fairer approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

alanlawlor wrote: »

Totally agree also think walkers should have to ware hi-vis as well. in the dark.

ps i hope your lights are working and that they are on dims there is nothing worse than someone with broken or strong lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Simply blaming car drivers for not paying enough attention is a cop-out - it is a 2-way street (forgive the pun!) and I cannot see any problem with legislation enforcing wearing a hi-vis jacket/vest or mandatory keeping your lights on all the time while driving.
    - anything that make you more visible on the road is not a bad thing and motorcyclists (and pedal cyclists) are more vunerable on the road than car users.
    Regarding the other bits of legislation - they are nonsense and I agree with the other points of protest - why can not the governments introduce an NCT-style test for bikes ? To check lights, brakes and other essential safety-aspects of the bike are up to standard? A 20-year old custom bike with so-called racing modifications could well be far safer than a 6-month old bike with failing lights or brakes - a test of each individual bike periodically would be a fairer approach.

(a) The problem isn't really that bikers are invisible the problem is most drivers don't look! Most bike clothing already has hi vis markings on them. How come no one seems to have seen this!
    (b) i have no problem with lights always on the lights have been on on my bike since i started biking.

The problem with an NCT for bikes is that like the car test it will be used to put perfectly safe old bikes or modified bikes off the road. If the test only looked for safety defects it would be ok but when they start measuring emissions and failing bikes for using non standard parts. It becomes a problem for bikers. It would also increase the already expensive costs for biking in Ireland. The NCT for cars was brought in to encourage people to buy new cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Simply blaming car drivers for not paying enough attention is a cop-out - it is a 2-way street (forgive the pun!) .

Lovely 1st post.

You are a cop out,as you dont want to deal with the facts.:rolleyes:

Car drivers dont pay enough attention,FACT.

Maybe do your homework and research 1st before posting anymore posts on this topic.Because you really dont have much of a clue about the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    The problem with an NCT for bikes is that like the car test it will be used to put perfectly safe old bikes or modified bikes off the road.

Rubbish... it would be used to put unsafe and/or anti-social bikes off the road!

..every other country manages to do it!

Just after seeing it on RTE News now.They showed the bike rally into Leinster House today

Some stupid moron on a either a Blade or an R1 doing big burnout on the path and road outside Leinster House.

Theres allways 1 idiot that will make it look like all bikers are like that.

Complete tw^t and Idiot.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just after seeing it on RTE News now.They showed the bike rally into Leinster House today

Some stupid moron on a either a Blade or an R1 doing big burnout on the path and road outside Leinster House.

Theres allways 1 idiot that will make it look like all bikers are like that.

Complete tw^t and Idiot.

But sure what difference does it make if anybody thinks that about us?

But sure what difference does it make if anybody thinks that about us?

Well because of that moron biker,the average non biking joe public who watches that on the News will think that we are all like that.

Stereotyping and the whole "tarnish with the same brush" thing.

That protest today was to highlight how serious bikers are and also to show that bike laws dont need to be fcuked up anymore.

That moron on that bike doing that burnout,will be seen all accross Europe,and he will make the exact opposite of a serious statement that the bikers wanted to make today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

si_guru wrote: »
    Rubbish... it would be used to put unsafe and/or anti-social bikes off the road!

..every other country manages to do it!

If it did just that it would be acceptable. If it uses the NCT model which is a joke it would not do just that.
    Anti-social bikes would get round it by doing the annual exhaust swap. There is already laws in place that if enforced could put dangerous and antisocial bikes off the roads, bikes are legally required to be roadworthy. It would also put 2 strokes and older bikes that aren't up to newer emission laws, nothing to do with safety off the road. It could potentially put custom bikes and street fighters off the road.
    Every country doesn't do it and the ones that do aren't great examples to follow in my opinion.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    If it did just that it would be acceptable. If it uses the NCT model which is a joke it would not do just that.
    Anti-social bikes would get round it by doing the annual exhaust swap. There is already laws in place that if enforced could put dangerous and antisocial bikes off the roads, bikes are legally required to be roadworthy. It would also put 2 strokes and older bikes that aren't up to newer emission laws, nothing to do with safety off the road. It could potentially put custom bikes and street fighters off the road.
    Every country doesn't do it and the ones that do aren't great examples to follow in my opinion.

Sure the car NCT system is totally corrupt and fcuked up,as was shown on RTE by PrimeTime recently.

Well because of that moron biker,the average non biking joe public who watches that on the News will think that we are all like that.

Stereotyping and the whole "tarnish with the same brush" thing.

That protest today was to highlight how serious bikers are and also to show that bike laws dont need to be fcuked up anymore.

That moron on that bike doing that burnout,will be seen all accross Europe,and he will make the exact opposite of a serious statement that the bikers wanted to make today.

I wasn't there today to prove how "serious" I am, neither were any of the bikers I was protesting with :confused: I was there to try to get some sort of publicity for more draconian rules and regulations being forced upon bikers yet again.

I don't see how someone doing a burnout (and I'm sure he wasn't the only one) reflects badly on the biking community.

And in fairness to your man if that burnout is seen "all across Europe" then isn't that publicity for what we were all protesting for :confused:

I really am genuinely puzzled by why you think it's such a big deal.

I wasn't there today to prove how "serious" I am, neither were any of the bikers I was protesting with :confused: I was there to try to get some sort of publicity for more draconian rules and regulations being forced upon bikers yet again.

I don't see how someone doing a burnout (and I'm sure he wasn't the only one) reflects badly on the biking community.

And in fairness to your man if that burnout is seen "all across Europe" then isn't that publicity for what we were all protesting for :confused:

I really am genuinely puzzled by why you think it's such a big deal.

Im a biker myself btw.

The wrong type of publicity,thats the whole point and thats very clear to see,from what RTE News showed.

You dont see protesting taxi men doing donuts on the road,or farmers in their tractors ploughing up Killdare Street.

But 1 complete idiot of a biker sends out the wrong message on the news with his stupid antics.:mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Im a biker myself btw.

The wrong type of publicity,thats the whole point and thats very clear to see,from what RTE News showed.

You dont see protesting taxi men doing donuts on the road,or farmers in their tractors ploughing up Killdare Street.

But 1 complete idiot of a biker sends out the wrong message on the news with his stupid antics.:mad::rolleyes:

So because someone does a burnout the public will think we deserve all of these new rules and regulations?

So because someone does a burnout the public will think we deserve all of these new rules and regulations?

Potentially YES.

Alot of the general public think that bikes and bikers are dangerous,and showing this on national news does nothing to help bikers and how they are viewed by others.

This also got beamed around the world today and the fatcats in the EU really will potentialy be licking their lips with stupid carry on like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

IMO it's not that big a deal Paddy but I would say it wasn't the wisest thing to do. I can't imagine the EU fat cats are licking their lips :p over a burn out.

Seems the RTE report is getting mixed up with the proposals. It mentioned rule to ban 7 year old bikes from urban areas was an EU proposal but wasn't it actually just a French one?

Advertisement