Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU motorbike laws - Protests all over EU 25th Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 slashtom

MAG should be posting factually accurate information, with each claim backed up with links to the relevant proposal.

It is not much to ask that they share the sources of information that they used to research the document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

slashtom wrote: »
    MAG should be posting factually accurate information, with each claim backed up with links to the relevant proposal.

It is not much to ask that they share the sources of information that they used to research the document.

Do you not think the people responsible for formulating these proposals should be the ones to bring them to the people they will be affecting? Do you not think that the official EU documentation should be released to the general public in the same way literature on the Lisbon Treaty etc was provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

slashtom wrote: »
    MAG should be posting factually accurate information

Just to clarify:

I am a member of the MAG Ireland executive.

The OP referes to content posted or published by MAG UK. I'm not sure where it originated.

MAG Ireland is a separate entity to MAG UK, and while much information and expertise is shared between MAG Ireland & MAG UK, neither is responsible for the communications of the other.

MAG Ireland makes every effort to ensure it's communications are factual and accurate. All official MAG Ireland content is on www.magireland.org while our UK brethern run their own site at www.mag-uk.org. Both MAG Ireland & MAG UK are members of FEMA through which we lobby at EU level.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

Who is posting chinese whispers? MAG are doing something about this, hence this thread. Would anybody even know anything about these proposals if it wasn't for MAG?

MAG were the last ones to get on board!
    this info came from the UK & europe and was floating around forums for at least a week before I even heard MAG mentioned!
    we will see know if they actually do anything or if they just fill out member forms!:eek:

either way ALL bikers and bike fans need to get out there and protest!
    they are try to take away basic human rights and jobs if you read into this properly!
    every bike shop in town would close over night if bikes arnt aloud in urban areas!
    and thats only the effect of 1 of the proposed changes!
    We can not let this happen!

BlackBlade wrote: »
    MAG were the last ones to get on board!
    this info came from the UK & europe and was floating around forums for at least a week before I even heard MAG mentioned!

If you were following the MAG Ireland web site, or were a MAG member, you'd have seen this back in November of 2010;
    http://www.magireland.org/2010/eu-fema/eu-in-new-squeeze-on-bikes/

Floating around forums for at least a week? 'nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slimo

why not join me on bikerfm.co.uk tonight ten till midnight where we will be passing this info on to the masses .
    also get a request in or even a shout out ..

its tonight folks tune in and be part of the solution to this madness.

carsQhere wrote: »
    If you were following the MAG Ireland web site, or were a MAG member, you'd have seen this back in November of 2010;
    http://www.magireland.org/2010/eu-fema/eu-in-new-squeeze-on-bikes/

Floating around forums for at least a week? 'nuff said.

follow the MAG site :eek:
    what to see how many badges they sold ffs!
    they do nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buzzman78

did anyone here bout a meeting place for wexford cheers

follow the MAG site :eek:
    what to see how many badges they sold ffs!
    they do nothing!

This nothing? Or this one?

I'll tell you one area where MAG has made no progress this year and that's insurance. The post of insurance liason remains unfilled.

Fancy having a go at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I'll tell you one area where MAG has made no progress this year and that's insurance. The post of insurance liason remains unfilled.

Fancy having a go at it?

Sure then he/she wouldn't actually be able to moan about MAG :eek:

@buzzman - if there is nothing organised in Wexford yet you could always join in the Waterford one or just start a meet-up yourself. Just pick a fairly well known spot and post it up here. I think MAG are trying to post details of the demos on their site so the more information that's posted here or on other forums the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 buzzman78

sound il keep an eye on here

Fancy having a go at it?

HA HA FFS how thick are you!
    if these laws come in those parking spaces are no good to nobody as you wont be able to drive into town in the first place!
    besides as long as Im alive there has been bikes parking on princes street so what exactly did they achieve there???
    listen they may get the finger out now anyway!
    I spent 15 years in the bike trade and this is the first thing Ive seen them do and sure thats no good if its over ruled anyway!
    but where did all that membership money go?
    anyway step up weather your a common biker of a MAG man just get out and get the job done!

HA HA FFS how thick are you!

Why the personal attack? I am not the issue here. If you want to have a go at MAG that's fair enough. Just back up what you say. If MAG have done nothing, specify what was not done. I gave you an example there about insurance, but you'd sooner call me thick than address that?
    if these laws come in those parking spaces are no good to nobody as you wont be able to drive into town in the first place!

There's no EU proposal to ban bikes from urban areas. That's a domestic French proposal. There's no suggestion you won't be able to ride into town.
    besides as long as Im alive there has been bikes parking on princes street so what exactly did they achieve there???

Getting a formally recognised secure place to park your bike where a taxi can't knock it over. No more, no less.
    listen they may get the finger out now anyway!
    I spent 15 years in the bike trade and this is the first thing Ive seen them do and sure thats no good if its over ruled anyway!

MAG's been around in one form or another since the late 80's. It was MAG brought in Carole Nash. It was MAG opened the insurance market with a complaint to the competition authority. But like you say, you didn't see them do that.
    but where did all that membership money go?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the accounts are presented to the membership at the AGM, which you'd know if you were in MAG. If you're that keen to find out, turn up on the 24th with a valid membership and have a look. Details of the AGM are on the MAG web site.
    anyway step up weather your a common biker of a MAG man just get out and get the job done!

That much we agree on :D

Why the personal attack? I am not the issue here. If you want to have a go at MAG that's fair enough. Just back up what you say. If MAG have done nothing, specify what was not done. I gave you an example there about insurance, but you'd sooner call me thick than address that?

There's no EU proposal to ban bikes from urban areas. That's a domestic French proposal. There's no suggestion you won't be able to ride into town.

we get it automatically if they do IF you do your reading there!

Getting a formally recognised secure place to park your bike where a taxi can't knock it over. No more, no less.

you mean off side parking that nobody else wants with high theft rates!!

MAG's been around in one form or another since the late 80's. It was MAG brought in Carole Nash. It was MAG opened the insurance market with a complaint to the competition authority. But like you say, you didn't see them do that.

nope! ye mean they claimed to or jumped on the bandwagon after the ball got rolling JUST like this time!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the accounts are presented to the membership at the AGM, which you'd know if you were in MAG. If you're that keen to find out, turn up on the 24th with a valid membership and have a look. Details of the AGM are on the MAG web site.

yes I see they have it after the Think Bike demo!
    (ah lets rally while we are doing the accounts)

That much we agree on :D

we do indeed!
    I dont want mag to be ****e but up to this when was the last time you heard of them?
    I attend almost every major bike event in the country and you only ever see what 3 dudes selling membership at bike shows!
    I was a member for years and sure once ye have the badge you dont hear any more, I relly hope this changes in the future because we need some kind of organisation over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

Anyhow, I'll be there for the Dublin one (should have my tank fixed by the weekend).

we do indeed!
    I dont want mag to be ****e but up to this when was the last time you heard of them?

You're missing the point somewhat. MAG has been around all along. You clearly have it in your head that MAG "does nothing" where in fact what's been happening is that MAG has been doing things that you, for whatever reason, have not been aware of.
    I attend almost every major bike event in the country and you only ever see what 3 dudes selling membership at bike shows!

When they're not selling memberships at bike shows, they're doing stuff like this;
    http://www.magireland.org/2011/responses/nta-response/

Take a few minutes to to read this PDF from that post. That's the sort of stuff MAG is doing while you're not looking.
    I was a member for years and sure once ye have the badge you dont hear any more, I relly hope this changes in the future because we need some kind of organisation over here!

We have an organisation. Just because MAG is not out there kicking down doors doesn't meant nothing is happening. The high viz thing first came up in 2009. MAG responded to the RSA consultation at the time. We've been bashing away at it on and off ever since.

The other thing that people need to understand here is that MAG is five (some times six) part time volunteers doing a few hours a week except for Linda who runs the MAG office and does a lot more. If you can do it better, get stuck in there.

:eek:

ye got ye MAG are great you obviously get your bit out of it now back to busyness! :rolleyes:
    simplybam wrote: »
    Anyhow, I'll be there for the Dublin one (should have my tank fixed by the weekend).

;) good man and bring the masses with ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

ye got ye MAG are great you obviously get your bit out of it now back to busyness! :rolleyes:

;) good man and bring the masses with ye!

Will try, only got back into motorcycling very recently after a 15 year break, but will certainly bring everyone I know who has ever heard of a motorbike!

simplybam wrote: »
    Will try, only got back into motorcycling very recently after a 15 year break, but will certainly bring everyone I know who has ever heard of a motorbike!

just spread the word!
    A lot of bikers still dont know anything about this!
    I have a bit of time off and have been mailing clubs etc!
    and for our MAG rep here is a link I have been using

http://www.magireland.org/2011/slider/protest-rides-25th-september/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

even send a mail out to everybody in your email list everything counts at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navangang

Anything around trim,kells or navan happening??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'm on Cavan, Kells would be a runner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l.m

I think we should then go into city centre to somewhere like Dame street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

l.m wrote: »
    I think we should then go into city centre to somewhere like Dame street?

Thats a 4 hour commute for me.

(theres life outside the M50 you know.)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Pulled this link of the EC proposal from the MCN website. Nothing on our Gov sites (not surprising really). Its a bit of a long read but if you can't be bothered to read it don't moan about it.

Anyhow if you can't make one of the planned protests (and even if you can). Use the form attached by the UK DOT to protest to Leo, local TD's and your MEP's.

This insidious proposal has the potential to kill biking and everyone should let their elected representatives know this.

Do you want to be able to service your own machine?

Do you want the freedom to replace stock parts with aftermarket options?

Do you want non switchable ABS, bad enough on a road based machine potentially lethal on an off road capable machine?

Meets for protests all over the country Ill try post them all!

Dublin

Apple service station on the M1 @ 12pm southbound just after Balbriggan
    heading onwards for the M50- Redcow interchange meeting another group from south Dublin and on to city center

Cork
    Protest at Opera House,1.30,Sun 25th.
    Regional meets,rendevous at main event.
    Northside-Blackman Pub,12.30
    Southside-Topaz,Kinsale Rd 12.30
    Macroom-Layby on City side of town 12.00
    Mallow-Topaz,11.00.

Galway
    eyre square at 12.30 on sept 25

Waterford
    Clyde wharf, 1pm

WEXFORD

25th sep. 10am Mother Hubbards car park. Enniscorthy We will meet any one from there who wants to join the run in the car park by the riverside park hotel at 10.30. Then to Bunclody meetin in the town centre at 11.00. Then to carlow, we will meet another run outside abrakebabra at 11.30. From there all of us will head to waterford where we will meet the ride out there.

New Ross meet up
    For anyone interested in travelling to the Waterford protest with us, we will be meeting outside Richie Roche's bar, The Quay, New Ross between12 and 12.30pm on Sunday, 25th of September. From there we will travel to Clyde Wharf, Waterford where we will meet up with protesters from Waterford , Wexford and Carlow.

MIDLANDS
    MULLINGAR, TULLAMORE ,PORTLAOIS
    25 September · 12:30 - 18:00
    TOPAZ GARAGE TYRELLSPASS RD MULLINGAR THROUGH MULLINGAR TOWN , TULLAMORE ,PORTLAOIS

Antrim
    The NW200 pits
    Ballyreagh Road A2
    Portstewart
    we are meeting at 12.00pm with the intention of having a leisurely ride out along the Northwest 200 circuit at 1pm.

Ill update as info comes in!

CAN MODS STICKY THIS PLEASE!

306360_144430738983254_100002489860100_233679_7454583_n.jpg

306360_144430738983254_100002489860100_233679_7454583_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

@BlackBlade maybe do one for each protest, excellent image

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Motorcycle News: Motorway demo over restrictive EU rules http://z.thecivvie.org/pWj4y1

Join Ireland Weather Network

Advertisement