Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU motorbike laws - Protests all over EU 25th Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

thecivvie wrote: »
    @BlackBlade maybe do one for each protest, excellent image

Ill give it a go I just copied that one from the cork lads site!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Or ask him if he can supply without the header I guess

Join Ireland Weather Network

thecivvie wrote: »
    Or ask him if he can supply without the header I guess

good thinking batman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Just bumping this. Kicks off weekend after next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Looking forward to it. Gives me an excuse not to go "somewhere else".:)

• Advertisement

312564_2357160015991_1459950358_32644306_1392423000_n.jpg

.....................................................................................................

311324_2357160576005_1459950358_32644308_20086145_n.jpg

...................................................................................................

312354_2357479863987_1459950358_32644466_1570488288_n.jpg

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

How do I print those posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

It's a minor thing, but might want to change it to correct the spelling to "bureaucrat" instead of "beaurocrat" ? (It looks like a mix up with the slang term "Eurocrat" - for a bureaucrat in the EU).
    Errors like that look bad for something like this, if they're picked up on.

Edit: At work so can only see the posters in post 88 and 89

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Lads, taken from page 3 of this link http://www.irishbikerforum.com/forums/index.php/topic/90333-mag-ireland-demo/

Seems like a good idea.

MAG member Jon Strong has had success in his highly detailed challenge to some of the EU Commission's most lazy assertions about what's good for you and me as riders.

Now we can do something very simple that will help Jon press his case and shine a spotlight on the Commission's attempts to steam-roller further restrictions on bike design, modification and use.

The European Ombudsman ( responsible for checking whether the EU is playing the game fairly ) recently found that the European Commission unjustifiably refused to answer Jon's queries or to supply official documents relating to a range of issues that will have a big impact on biking, eg; the changes to EU Type Approval, the potential for a Europe -wide super MOT test and development of safety technologies that could threaten biking as we know it. Jon has also asked to be shown the evidence in favour of EU proposals for random/ regular roadside inspections of motorcycles and for the Commission to show whether it has properly considered the liberty issues.

ACTION

All that is needed to show the authorities that there is genuine public concern about this, is for enough people reading this or hearing about it via us guys to contact the Ombudsman asking for copies of Jon's original complaint and the supporting documents. That will make sure the complaint wont get buried.

GO HERE ; Ombudsman.europa.eu/shortcuts/contacts.faces

QUOTE Ref ; 0875/2011/jf in your request, just asking for it will send the right message.

The reason we need to do this are that the Ombudsman isn't totally convinced or supportive of Jon's efforts in trying to hold the Commission to account, he just needs some support from more members of the public i.e US!!

So please carry out the simple email, re-post onto other forums you may be members on, this is the nitty gritty behind the scenes stuff that we dont see much of, the real campaigning by the likes of MAG etc, intelligent gentlemen who also happen to be bikers, taking the fight to the EU and picking loop holes with their oppresive ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

I don't even have a bike but its terrible to see the government or the EU come along and try to ruin people's hobbies like this. It certainly isn't the only time they tried it.

It's in everybody's interest to protest against this even if they're not into bikes. Because once the motorbikes are gone the cars are next, and the scooters and then the bicycles and every other activity that incurs a risk of somebody getting hurt. Life might be very safe if all this stuff is banned but also not very interesting

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    It's a minor thing, but might want to change it to correct the spelling to "bureaucrat" instead of "beaurocrat" ? (It looks like a mix up with the slang term "Eurocrat" - for a bureaucrat in the EU).
    Errors like that look bad for something like this, if they're picked up on.

Edit: At work so can only see the posters in post 88 and 89

I copied these but did edit them I must have posted the ones I downloaded and not the edited version!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

BlackBlade wrote: »
    I copied these but did edit them I must have posted the ones I downloaded and not the edited version!!!

Well done Blackblade and anyone else who has contacted there MEP.

Here's the location of the report, you should take a glance over it if you have 30 mins to spare, some of the stufe sounds OK as they are pulling bikes into line with car emmisions wise but other stuff like the need for compulsary OBD (On Board Diagnostics) by 2018 on pretty much every bike except 50 cc mopeds seems a bit mad. there's no way ton add the expenses of that to a basic single cylinder commuter (125 - 400cc) thats doing between 80 and 150 mpg depending on how it's ridden.

To: liam.aylward@europarl.europa.eu, office@magireland.org
    Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 19:52:03 +0100
    Subject: Attn Laura Real - Re: Further information: Upcoming eu motorcycle anti tampering bill

Hello Laura and many thanks for your response.

I hope you don't mind me cc'ing the other MEP's on this response so they are aware of the fact finding you have undertaken to inform yourself and myself about the report location and the timeline of the dates.

Forecasts
    Forecasts procedure
    17/10/2011 EP: report scheduled for adoption in committee, 1st or single reading
    14/11/2011 EP plenary sitting (indicative date)

In lay mans terms does this mean the report is presented in it's final state to the commitee for voting approval and then if the report and it's recommendations are approved on 17/10 it goes on to 14/11 where it get's voted in to EU parlaiment regulation.?

Once again.

Thanks for your well resourced response.

Best regards

Chris Larkin

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:01 PM, AYLWARD Liam <liam.aylward@europarl.europa.eu> wrote:

Dear Mr Larkin,

Further to your previous email Mr Aylward has been informed that the vote on the Draft Report on "the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council Approval and market surveillance of two-or three- wheel vehicles and quadricycles" is due to be voted upon in the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee in October with a vote by the Parliament as a whole on the report as amended by the Committee in November. These dates may change depending on the meeting agenda.

You will find a copy of the Parliament Report on this issue at the following link: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+COMPARL+PE-464.815+01+DOC+PDF+V0//EN&language=EN and details of the legislative timeline here:http://www.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/FindByProcnum.do?lang=2&procnum=COD/2010/0271

Mr Aylward is not a member of the Committee responsible for this Report but he will have the opportunity to vote on the Report as amended by the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee in the Parliament in November.

As indicated previously he will be contacting the European Commission to raise the concerns of Irish motorcyclists in relation to this legislation with them.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Laura Real
    Assistant
    to Liam Aylward MEP

getting lots of replies from MEP's etc..
    I just hope they listen to the people and vote in our favor!

keep it up lads and spread the word! thumbsup2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 super22

hi just to let u know we are trying to get everyone to come to athlone on the 25th the galway run and the monaghan run to caven then to athlone we would like to know if the mullengar run will come to athlone to can u let me know thank u :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

312564_2357160015991_1459950358_32644306_1392423000_n.jpg

I'm in favour of the protests, and against many of the measures on the list.

But some of the items are not only ill-informed, but too late, as well.

First of all, mandatory headlights are already in, and have been for years, on all new bikes. And I would never ride a bike without them on anyway - and have done so for 25yrs.

Type Approval is already in. Everything needs to be Type Approved - cars, bikes, trucks, buses....... - what you are looking to change is the actual regulations within TA, not getting rid of it.

There are some things that are worth fighting for, and stuff that's already in isn't one of them. That's just banging your head off a wall.

A more concentrated, focussed approach will be more effective than a scattergun one.

Oh, and btw, getting a big meet, and convoy together, is a good idea. However if people start acting the Mick on the day - burnouts, and popping on the rev-limiter in traffic - as on the last 2 I was at - I can tell you, you might as well not turn up, 'cos Joe & Josephine Citizen will only have their anti-bike stance reaffirmed. Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RRaff

Where are the majority from Dublin area meeting up and does anyone know the final destination? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

IBF sent out this in an email today:

IBF thread: http://www.irishbikerforum.com/forums/index.php/topic/90333-mag-ireland-demo/page__p__608551__hl__demo__fromsearch__1#entry608551
    Mag Ireland thread: http://www.magireland.org/2011/slider/think-bike-demo-2011/
    If facebook is is your bag: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136655693096395
    There is a twitter thing: https://twitter.com/#!/magireland

So it looks like thie MAG meetup is going to be popular.

Think Bike Demonstration Ride meet at Wilton Terrace, Dublin 2
    Saturday 24th September 2011
    Departs Wilton Terrace 11:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 czech

got email today so will attend saturdays with Irish Biker Forum and MAG and hopefully join sundays also all in a good cause

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Am I the only one that finds it incredible that the organisations that represent bikers couldnt come together to show on one day, not saturday and sunday.

Edit: any chance we could add the ability to drive in the bus lane to the poster??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

For the Dublin spin on Sunday, you can meet the guys coming from the M1, just on the city centre side of the Red Cow Interchange, on the LHS, they will be passing there between 1.30 - 1.45pm.
    See you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Skimming through the thread I haven't seen it asked, so apologies if it has :

Should I be worried about turning up to the protest if my exhaust might not be 100% legal? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Should I be worried about turning up to the protest if my exhaust might not be 100% legal? :o

I would say you will be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry only seeing this now, stickied.

super22 wrote: »
    hi just to let u know we are trying to get everyone to come to athlone on the 25th the galway run and the monaghan run to caven then to athlone we would like to know if the mullengar run will come to athlone to can u let me know thank u :)

Why?
    would you not all be better going to dublin or cork?
    personally myself I think its bad enough it been on a sunday without going to Athlone it should be based in the capital end of!

Why?
    would you not all be better going to dublin or cork?
    personally myself I think its bad enough it been on a sunday without going to Athlone it should be based in the capital end of!

You gonna collect us all?

You gonna collect us all?

well eh you do drive a bike do ye?

if ye wanna keep driving it that much you might make it to one of the larger protests that matter more IMO

well eh you do drive a bike do ye?

if ye wanna keep driving it that much you might make it to one of the larger protests that matter more IMO

there is life outside the pale.

Dumpland Junkie town is a 4 hour commute for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

This post reaffirms why i won't be attending any protest. Illegal cans making huge noise will not do any favours with gen public who don't care about bikers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

ratracer wrote: »
    This post reaffirms why i won't be attending any protest. Illegal cans making huge noise will not do any favours with gen public who don't care about bikers anyway.

And what about boy racers who go around with their big loud exhausts, which are also illegal, they remove them at the time of their nct and put them back on as soon as they pass.

It is time to be there and show your face, so as to speak. The more that turn up, the more they will notice

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement

there is life outside the pale.

Dumpland Junkie town is a 4 hour commute for me.

ye we try to keep undesirables at bay!

make sure and tell the other 2 lads to drive in formation! ;)

Advertisement