Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rovers Away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xiam

THFC wrote: »
    Ye're both misunderstanding my point here, I've stopped following the LoI completely. I still keep track of the developments at Galway United and go to the odd game, but, I watch more of Spurs. I can easily hold a conversation about the players we (at GUFC) have, but I would have difficulty holding a conversation about the LoI as a whole. And 4/5 years ago GUFC were going through a decent spell, we looked 4/5 players short of pushing on for a title-run, it was also when Spurs started going on disastrous runs. So being called a fair-weather supporter is quite insulting. I watching quite a bit if La Liga now, do I support any if their teams? No. But I've much more an interest in that league than the LoI.

And PerryRoko you sound like the most arrogant, shallow supporter I've heard. It's like you support Rovers to abuse people that support foreign teams, why do you care so much?
    Bit of a contradiction there. Youve stopped going to games Completly but you go to the odd match?Enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

And PerryRoko you sound like the most arrogant, shallow supporter I've heard. It's like you support Rovers to abuse people that support foreign teams, why do you care so much?

Sorry if I've come across as abusive, it wasn't my intention. As for why I care so much, as I already said its because I care about football in this country, both the LoI and the national team. Both of which are put at a big disadvantage (in the case of many LoI clubs their very survival is in doubt) because we're the one nation in western Europe where people dismiss their own national football purely on the quality/entertainment factor you mentioned earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't watch the LoI because it's a shíte league.

Whatever about the team or league you want to support, I can't take any football supporter seriously who says things like about another league.

It's rude and arrogant.

And it's lost on the people that say it that if their club does a Leeds or City and ends up a few leagues down the ladder, you are a hypocrite if you don't jump ship to another top-level team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hate this ****ing argument. I've a friend who never shuts up about how people like me are ruining Irish football, or (as above) calling me a bar stool supporter for supporting Spurs ahead of Rovers or another LOI team. You know what i say to that? Go **** yourself.

I'll support whatever team i want, regardless of where i was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

BERBA wrote: »
    your some lad for throwing out the insults , who are you to lecture anyone? bit rich that coming from you....a bar stool supporter.
    A barstooler? I'd be willing to bet I've been to more Spurs & Galway United matches than you've been to either. I used to be a Galway United season ticket holder ffs.
    xiam wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there. Youve stopped going to games Completly but you go to the odd match?Enlighten me.
    When did I say I stopped going to games?

Let me clear this up, I don't follow the LoI, I've no interest in it, I think it's a sub-standard league, but I do follow Galway United to an extent. Mainly because my dad brought to the majority of home games for the best part of 7 years. I stopped going regularly about 5 seasons ago (long before their plight) because I grew uninterested in the league as a whole.

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    your some lad for throwing out the insults , who are you to lecture anyone? bit rich that coming from you....a bar stool supporter.
    A barstooler? I'd be willing to bet I've been to more Spurs & Galway United matches than you've been to either. I used to be a Galway United season ticket holder ffs.
    xiam wrote: »
    When did I say I stopped going to games?

Let me clear this up, I don't follow the LoI, I've no interest in it, I think it's a sub-standard league, but I do follow Galway United to an extent. Mainly because my dad brought to the majority of home games for the best part of 7 years. I stopped going regularly about 5 seasons ago (long before their plight) because I grew uninterested in the league as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 IgnatiusJ

Rovers fan here. I don't like the way these 'LoI v Premiership fan' arguments are framed.

I love attending football matches and the LoI is the highest standard that is available to me. I watch Premiership matches on TV same as everyone else, but it doesn't compare to being part of a club.

It's not just about the football, it's about the experience. It's the routines and traditions - meeting your mates for pre-match drink, bumping into the same people every week, knowing exactly what spot in the stadium is yours, the banter...there's no point in comparing attending matches and watching matches on TV because they are completely different experiences.

The match will hopefully be in Tallaght. The Rovers end will be packed with genuine Rovers fans. Hopefully the Spurs end will be packed with genuine Spurs fans.

If any of you lads happen to get tickets, I genuinely hope you enjoy the day. I hope you enjoy it so much that you realise that football is a better experience without a remote control in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ye're both misunderstanding my point here
    Were not misunderstanding your point, the reason you give for supporting Tottenham over your local side is that they play at a higher level. If they dropped to a lower level you would stop supporting them and in turn support someone at a higher level. Youve already done that with Galway. That sets you apart completely from real Spurs fans. And any other football fan really.

Its perfectly understandable, if you randomly picked Spurs to support you can just as easily do it a second time. We get it.
    IgnatiusJ wrote:
    If any of you lads happen to get tickets, I genuinely hope you enjoy the day.
    Thanks to Spurs' loyalty scheme, their tickets will end up in the right hands. Hope the (lunatic) blokes that travel from here weekly get sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

You all need to stop judging each other's teams and leagues

We all enjoy supporting our chosen clubs.

There's no right or wrong in this unless you carry a big chip on your shoulder.

Looking forward to the 2 Rovers games and hopfully a bit of slagging afterwards on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Can we stop this argument now? As was said earlier live and let live. Nobody has a right to judge someone on how they choose to live their life or spend their money. Rovers will be playing at home (rightfully so), lets just get on with the football. COYS!!!!

• Advertisement

You all need to stop judging each other's teams and leagues
    We are football fans, thats what we do. And yes, we do have several chips on our shoulder.

Im actually going to miss the home leg in Dublin as I will have emograted to NZ by that time. D'oh.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Were not misunderstanding your point, the reason you give for supporting Tottenham over your local side is that they play at a higher level. If they dropped to a lower level you would stop supporting them and in turn support someone at a higher level. Youve already done that with Galway. That sets you apart completely from real Spurs fans. And any other football fan really.

Its perfectly understandable, if you randomly picked Spurs to support you can just as easily do it a second time. We get it.
    Can you read? I've supported Spurs as long as I've supported Galway United. I started supporting Spurs because my aunt's brother-in-law used to play for them, so I thought I may as well support a team I actually have a connection to, rather than follow the masses and support United/Liverpool.
    And I think you'll find the majority of people start supporting Spurs randomly, i.e. got given their jersey as a present or saw them on the telly as a boy. So stop acting like a bellend and move on.

lol your aunts brother-in-law. Brilliant.

lol your aunts brother-in-law. Brilliant.
    Yea, my whole dad's side of the family emigrated to England in the 80's, it's not inconceivable that one of them would actually get married over there. Hopefully you'll be able to find some one on your traves to take away all that bitterness you have;).
    G'luck, enjoy the EL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

There must be an anouncement today, looking at the srfc forum, they are saying that temp seats are being installed:( in their Council owned stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xiam

indiewindy wrote: »
    There must be an anouncement today, looking at the srfc forum, they are saying that temp seats are being installed:( in their Council owned stadium
    Well if you look properly you will see when the announcement will be made!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

We are football fans, thats what we do. And yes, we do have several chips on our shoulder.

Im actually going to miss the home leg in Dublin as I will have emograted to NZ by that time. D'oh.

Not all of us :)

enjoy your football and concentrate on your own club

If the game is in Tallaght, the home fans get sorted first from members then season ticket holders..

As it should be and like any other football match in any country.

The Spurs supporters who go to the games and with the most loyalty points get the away allocation from Spurs.

If it is in Tallaght, I only need one ticket but if I'm entitled to two, I'll buy them and make sure the other one gets into the hands of a hoop without a ticket or even an interested neutral and not local Spurs supporters.

Not sure why any football supporter would disagree with this.

Anyway - no use in surmising as the decision will be made tomorrow and it's in the Aviva, everybody will get a ticket.

stovelid wrote: »
    If the game is in Tallaght, the home fans get sorted first from members then season ticket holders..

The Spurs supporters who go to the games and with the most loyalty points get the away allocation from Spurs.

If it is in Tallaght, I only need one ticket but if I'm entitled to two, I'll buy them and make sure the other one gets into the hands of a hoop without a ticket or even an interested neutral and not local Spurs supporters.

I also attend loi games, but dont see the point in blowing my trumpet about it

Anyway - no use in surmising as the decision will be made tomorrow and it's in the Aviva, everybody will get a ticket.

why do you bother posting in the spurs forum, just trying to rile the spurs fans here. Why not stick to the srfc ultras forum.
    you would think that rovers have one of the most loyal fanbases in the country based on what some of their fans are saying. milltown LOL, more protested about moving from there than actually attended the games, says it all for me

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I only need one ticket but if I'm entitled to two, .

If you were any sort of decent bloke, you'd get the 2nd ticket, bring me, I'd buy the pints, and we could have a constructive discussion about the outcome of the games ;)

UEFA decision due today. It will be on our site.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

why do you bother posting in the spurs forum, just trying to rile the spurs fans here. Why not stick to the srfc ultras forum.
    you would think that rovers have one of the most loyal fanbases in the country based on what some of their fans are saying. milltown LOL, more protested about moving from there than actually attended the games, says it all for me

You seem very bitter. Better luck getting a ticket for the home game against Rovers.

04KY wrote: »
    You seem very bitter. Better luck getting a ticket for the home game against Rovers.

Not bitter at all, just cant see why rovers "fans" are posting in the spurs forum attacking people for supporting spurs, considering how few true fans rovers actually have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

04KY wrote: »
    Not bitter at all, just cant see why rovers "fans" are posting in the spurs forum attacking people for supporting spurs, considering how few true fans rovers actually have.
    It was an informative post about an upcoming Spurs fixture. Nothing wrong with posting that here. Regarding the stated intention to give the spare ticket to a non Spurs supporter - why would one give a ticket to a fan of an opposing team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

if anything it's the choice of sick folk that enjoy getting their nuts kicked more often than getting them stroked :D

i lolled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Did UEFA not make a decision today ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

mushykeogh wrote: »
    4000 rovers fans? Wonder why they dont show up in tallaght every week to support their team?

despite an average home league crowd of over 4,200?

you are exactly the kind of patronising barstooler Rovers have no business in accomodating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

vellocet wrote: »
    despite an average home league crowd of over 4,200?

you are exactly the kind of patronising barstooler Rovers have no business in accomodating

Well i was there when Bray beat ye earlier on in the season and it was 2000 at a push.

(that was one of four rovers games ive been to this year by the way, and i dont actually go out drinking so less of the barstool garbage, good girl).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Well i was there when Bray beat ye earlier on in the season and it was 2000 at a push.

(that was one of four rovers games ive been to this year by the way, and i dont actually go out drinking so less of the barstool garbage, good girl).

It isn't barstool garbage. The Rovers story is a phenomenon. From bankrupt and homeless 5 years ago to the group stages of the EL. The English press get it - the Guardian now have a Rovers section on their website. The Italian press and fans got it last year, as did the Serbs this year. The only people belittling the best supported Irish club side in any sport and their success are Irish barstoolers. The real Spurs fans will be more than welcome, patronising fools like you will not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement