Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rovers Away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrfantastico

alright lads dont mind that ****ing eejit "real fan" proper rovers supporter here been a member for the last 4 years and such,unfortunatley(for spurs) the game looks like it will be going ahead in tallaght,for once uefa and the people at F.A.I.lure are helping us :P so it will be in tallaght,ill be going to WHL at the end of september,btw all here are more than welcome to come to rovers matches hopefully if yous lads get tickets yous will see what match day experience is like at rovers friendly fun good football(some people have you believe that all irish football is **** its not lol) and great atmosphere. oh yeah good luck in the rest of you europa league games but ill be using every sort of black magic against spurs when we are playing them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

amusing side-show provided "realfan"

Made me laugh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭vellocet

Game is 99% going to be in Tallaght. Why would Rovers take a financial risk to accommodate Irish based opposition fans and hand over competitive advantage? All three games have to be played in the same venue and if the great Irish sporting public (tm) continue their boycott of domestic football, they could lose their arses.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

The Club has today been advised by UEFA that a decision regarding the venue for our Match Day 6 Europa League Group Stage fixture at Shamrock Rovers will be made next week.

Fans are advised as always not to make any travel arrangements until such time as details are confirmed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Hard to argue with the loosing home advantage point. But if it were me as owner of SR I would be pushing the Aviva all day. In this day of LOI clubs going under I couldnt turn away from the difference in money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Obviously the financial rewards for Rovers opting to play the Spurs tie at the Aviva would be massive, however the same can not be said for the ties against PAOK and Rubin Kazan.

What kind of attendance could they expect for games against the Greeks and Russians at the Aviva? 12-15,000 in the Aviva would feel like a library as opposed to atmosphere of 5-6,000 packed into Tallaght.

Uefa would insist that all the ties were played at the same venue to ensure a level playing field, which is fair enough.

From a Spurs fan aspect, I'd love the game to be at the Aviva but I feel the bigger picture dictates that they should use Tallaght.

ziedth wrote: »
    Hard to argue with the loosing home advantage point. But if it were me as owner of SR I would be pushing the Aviva all day. In this day of LOI clubs going under I couldnt turn away from the difference in money.

All three games have to be in the same venue. So that is that. Rovers need 20,000 more punters at each game to break even on rental and loss of matchday earnings (won't be their chippers and bar). Will not happen for 2 of the 3, so its a risk not worth taking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

looks like spurs old boy rohan rickets will be playing for rovers. heard he signed today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Am I the only person confused by the thread title?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Looks like it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Spurs home games are at White Hart Lane...
    This is an away fixture for Spurs in SRFC Tallaght/Avivia Stadium....;)

Just like SRFC away game againt Spurs will be in London innit mate;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

davycc wrote: »
    Spurs home games are at White Hart Lane...
    This is an away fixture for Spurs in SRFC Tallaght/Avivia Stadium....;)

No shit Sherlock!

By the way, it's going to be in Tallaght, thankfully, as I couldn't stomach thousands of Irish football fans cheering on a multi million pound foreign team playing against a team of mostly local lads, most of whom are on part-time contracts. But that's just me :)

No shit Sherlock!

By the way, it's going to be in Tallaght, thankfully, as I couldn't stomach thousands of Irish football fans cheering on a multi million pound foreign team playing against a team of mostly local lads, most of whom are on part-time contracts. But that's just me :)

None are on part time contracts now the season has been extended....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

No shit Sherlock!

Well how has any of that anything got to do with the "thread title confusing you":D

Dont be getting sidetracked....

Though personally Im glad its on in Tallaght.Thats the way it should be IMHO.

The place will be hopping and Im sitting the fence as a joint SRFC/Spurs fan.;)

Cant wait for kick-off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Its a pity that it will probably be played in Tallaght, surprised that the RDS hasnt been mentioned, surely they could get 18,000 in for the 3 games, hope rovers dont squander their euro loot by paying big bucks for has beens like Ricketts

indiewindy wrote: »
    Its a pity that it will probably be played in Tallaght, surprised that the RDS hasnt been mentioned, surely they could get 18,000 in for the 3 games, hope rovers dont squander their euro loot by paying big bucks for has beens like Ricketts

If you think Rickets is on big bucks you have no idea what is happening in Tallaght. He is on peanuts till December and if he works out, a better contract will be offered.

Shoe on other foot and Spurs got Barca in the CL. WOuld you move the games to Wembly to 'accommodate' the Londoners who want to gawp at Barca?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PerryRoko

Who the hell are you to judge anyone though? This whole debate gives me heartburn. If someone is happy supporting Spurs,Arsenal or the New York Red Bullsl and have never even been to a game what way does that impact on your life?

You see the thing is, if you support Irish football, what you do does impact on our (sporting) lives. The Times yesterday reported that €145million is spent by Irish people watching the likes of Spurs play in England. If a third of that money was put in to Irish football, imagine the state of the game here. Remember, we're the only country in western Europe where people do what you do, and refer to multi-millionaire Russians or Brazilians playing in London as "we" and "us". If you started calling lads from Waterford or Tipperary we and us then Irish clubs wouldn't be struggling to survive, and we'd have a lot more teams doing what we (Rovers) are doing in Europe. The first hint of stability and a rising fan base, and boom, it takes three years to make the group stage.

I'm sure some of you support the Irish national team, and would over the English national team. Could you imagine how much better off the Irish side would be if we had a squad of players playing regularly in Ireland. Of course your Robbie Keane's and Shay Given's will go away and play for the biggest clubs in Europe, but the Irish team would be a hell of a lot better off if guys like Darren O'Dea or Keith Andrews were playing every week, and in group stages of Europe rather than sitting on a bench in the UK. That's something nations like Denmark, Norway and Sweden are all able to use to their advantage in their national teams.

Until people stop using roundabout excuses to validate the fact they're only interested in glory hunting ("there's no LoI team in my immediate vicinity, so naturally I can only support a team even further away, who coincidentally just happen to have the worlds best players playing for them and are on TV every week so I can watch them if I'm not too busy on a Wednesday night") then Irish football will continue to stutter.

But just watch, once Rovers (and other teams) start having a bit of success, the likes of the Dubliners who refer to a game in Dublin as being "away" will start coming back to Irish football. Suddenly the excuses required to make yourself watch succesful glamorous football in the UK wont be as necessary as we offer a similar product at home.

The great Irish sports fan, eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jmcc001

PerryRoko wrote: »

But just watch, once Rovers (and other teams) start having a bit of success, the likes of the Dubliners who refer to a game in Dublin as being "away" will start coming back to Irish football. Suddenly the excuses required to make yourself watch succesful glamorous football in the UK wont be as necessary as we offer a similar product at home.

Sorry mate this is a spurs supporters club so we class white heart lane as a home game, so every game out side of w h l is away ,its simples ;)

Interesting that that's the point you took issue with out of the above post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hatch99 wrote: »

Emotional attachement to tallaght, cmon man, you sound like a hoop now :D , they say they have an emotional attachment to Milltown, Ringsend and a few more places, sure it's still a council stadium afterall ;)

This is pretty arrogant sounding to be fair.

It's your forum fair play but it's mad to expect us - a members owned club - to factor in Irish Spurs supporters when we're deciding where to play the game. Extra money is alway welcome but we don't need it so bad that we'll take the match out of Tallaght. You may think it's nuts not to milk it and dilute our home crowd with local Spurs fans but we're proud of our board for doing what they promised us they would do: build the club in Tallaght for the community and prioritize Rovers supporters and the local community when it comes to the big games.

As it is, the temporary seats are being put in up in Tallaght at this minute and it's hopefully looking good for there anyway.

Rovers made a small profit last year and this season will make some money from the CL and EL qualifying rounds, group stage qualification and the sale of our full back to Villa.

Rovers are not flush by any means and no LOI club can turn down money but having the game in Tallaght is, in the words of our board, the right thing to do. Not only in terms of the cost of renting the Aviva and conceding competitive advantage but on very large matter of principle.
    mushykeogh wrote: »
    4000 rovers fans? Wonder why they dont show up in tallaght every week to support their team?

That's actually in and around our season average attendance since we moved to Tallaght with the big derbies and European game being sell-outs or close to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Jmcc001 wrote: »
    Sorry mate this is a spurs supporters club so we class white heart lane as a home game, so every game out side of w h l is away ,its simples ;)
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

endabob1 wrote: »
    :eek:

Ssssh ! The rovers fans will mock us :P

You see the thing is, if you support Irish football, what you do does impact on our (sporting) lives. The Times yesterday reported that €145million is spent by Irish people watching the likes of Spurs play in England. If a third of that money was put in to Irish football, imagine the state of the game here. Remember, we're the only country in western Europe where people do what you do, and refer to multi-millionaire Russians or Brazilians playing in London as "we" and "us". If you started calling lads from Waterford or Tipperary we and us then Irish clubs wouldn't be struggling to survive, and we'd have a lot more teams doing what we (Rovers) are doing in Europe. The first hint of stability and a rising fan base, and boom, it takes three years to make the group stage.

I'm sure some of you support the Irish national team, and would over the English national team. Could you imagine how much better off the Irish side would be if we had a squad of players playing regularly in Ireland. Of course your Robbie Keane's and Shay Given's will go away and play for the biggest clubs in Europe, but the Irish team would be a hell of a lot better off if guys like Darren O'Dea or Keith Andrews were playing every week, and in group stages of Europe rather than sitting on a bench in the UK. That's something nations like Denmark, Norway and Sweden are all able to use to their advantage in their national teams.

Until people stop using roundabout excuses to validate the fact they're only interested in glory hunting ("there's no LoI team in my immediate vicinity, so naturally I can only support a team even further away, who coincidentally just happen to have the worlds best players playing for them and are on TV every week so I can watch them if I'm not too busy on a Wednesday night") then Irish football will continue to stutter.

That's all fair enough, one thing though.

There's one thing you're way off on. Being a Spurs suppoerter is anything but glory hunting. We haven't won the league since 61 and we haven't challenged for the title since 85. How many trophies have Rovers won in this time ?

I've been to over 100 games and seen more losses then wins. Trust me, being Spurs is not an easy option.

I think the key to all of this is just to live and let live. I tried LOI a few seasons ago and it just didn't do it for me. I wouldn't put it down in any way though, Each to their own I say.

It must be very difficult watching yourselves compete with AC Milan and Inter Milan, watch the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea every week, sign players like Jurgen Klinnsmann and Dimitar Berbatov, and play in the biggest competitions in the world. Having to settle for just the odd FA Cup or League Cup, played at Wembley Stadium in front of 80,000 people really isn't the stuff of glory at all.

(to answer your question, I was born in 1985 and in that time (barring the league title of that year and the Cup win the next two years which don't live too long in my memory) I've seen us win one league title, last October, on goal difference. I don't remember too much of our only other title in 1994 either)

It must be very difficult watching yourselves compete with AC Milan and Inter Milan, watch the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea every week, sign players like Jurgen Klinnsmann and Dimitar Berbatov, and play in the biggest competitions in the world. Having to settle for just the odd FA Cup or League Cup, played at Wembley Stadium in front of 80,000 people really isn't the stuff of glory at all.

I suppose it depends what your definition of glory is.

Yeah, it was great playing the Milans last season. But remember, that was the first time we played in Europe's top competition since 61/62

And yes, it was great signing the likes of Klinsmann and Berbatov, but I can tell you that it was also very painful when they left to go to bigger clubs where they could win things regularly.

So you see, Spurs is not a the choice of a glory hunter, if anything it's the choice of sick folk that enjoy getting their nuts kicked more often than getting them stroked :D We tend to land a cup every 10 years or so, that's about as good as it gets, not that I'm compaining, I just enjoy watching us play.

Anyway, fair play to you for getting behind your local team and good luck to your boys this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

(to answer your question, I was born in 1985 and in that time (barring the league title of that year and the Cup win the next two years which don't live too long in my memory) I've seen us win one league title, last October, on goal difference. I don't remember too much of our only other title in 1994 either)
    Get off your high horse ffs. I don't watch the LoI because it's a shíte league. About 3/4 years ago I was more a Galway United fan, now I'm (much) more a Spurs fan, why? Quality. Yes, I'd much rather watch Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, Lennon and Dawson play week in week out rather than Mikey Gilmore, Bobby Ryan and Gary Kelly. So what. It's hardly a big surprise. And if poeple like you are what remain of teh LoI bunch I don't think I'll be going back.

Enjoy the EL, delighted a LoI team finally made the breakthrough but the behaviour of the Rovers fans following the achievement is a bit embarrasing tbh.

THFC wrote: »
    Get off your high horse ffs. I don't watch the LoI because it's a shíte league. About 3/4 years ago I was more a Galway United fan, now I'm (much) more a Spurs fan, why? Quality. Yes, I'd much rather watch Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, Lennon and Dawson play week in week out rather than Mikey Gilmore, Bobby Ryan and Gary Kelly. So what. It's hardly a big surprise. And if poeple like you are what remain of teh LoI bunch I don't think I'll be going back.

Enjoy the EL, delighted a LoI team finally made the breakthrough but the behaviour of the Rovers fans following the achievement is a bit embarrasing tbh.

You make the point very well. For some people being a football supporter is about the following your team through thick and thin, pitching in to play a part, knowing your club and being involved in it. For others like yourself its something to watch on the telly and take an interest in, and occasionally take a holiday over to sit and watch in a massive arena, and when the quality dips you'll move on. I'm sure you'll say your Spurs till you die and all that, but I wonder how many less Leeds United fans there are in Ireland compared to 10 years ago, and how many new Chelsea or Tottenham fans there are.

If you pitch in, are actively involved in, actually support your club then fair enough (although there's no excuse for an Irish, Chinese or Malaysian to start calling people "Scouse prick" or "Manc twat" :eek: ), but as I'm sure you must appreciate, there's an awful, awful, awful lot of Irish people who watch MotD and the odd live game, travel over to watch Liverpool twice a year and think that somehow they're as big a supporter as a season ticket holder who knows the players, travels all over the country every week and actually helps to support his club. They're the people that we at Shamrock Rovers would like to keep out of our game with Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Get off your high horse ffs. I don't watch the LoI because it's a shíte league. About 3/4 years ago I was more a Galway United fan, now I'm (much) more a Spurs fan, why? Quality. Yes, I'd much rather watch Van der Vaart, Modric, Bale, Lennon and Dawson play week in week out rather than Mikey Gilmore, Bobby Ryan and Gary Kelly. So what. It's hardly a big surprise.
    So by this logic, if Spurs run into disastrous financial trouble and drop down the leagues below the level we play at (league 1 say), you would stop supporting them.

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You make the point very well. For some people being a football supporter is about the following your team through thick and thin, pitching in to play a part, knowing your club and being involved in it. For others like yourself its something to watch on the telly and take an interest in, and occasionally take a holiday over to sit and watch in a massive arena, and when the quality dips you'll move on. I'm sure you'll say your Spurs till you die and all that, but I wonder how many less Leeds United fans there are in Ireland compared to 10 years ago, and how many new Chelsea or Tottenham fans there are.

If you pitch in, are actively involved in, actually support your club then fair enough (although there's no excuse for an Irish, Chinese or Malaysian to start calling people "Scouse prick" or "Manc twat" :eek: ), but as I'm sure you must appreciate, there's an awful, awful, awful lot of Irish people who watch MotD and the odd live game, travel over to watch Liverpool twice a year and think that somehow they're as big a supporter as a season ticket holder who knows the players, travels all over the country every week and actually helps to support his club. They're the people that we at Shamrock Rovers would like to keep out of our game with Spurs.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    So by this logic, if Spurs run into disastrous financial trouble and drop down the leagues below the level we play at (league 1 say), you would stop supporting them.

Incredible.

Ye're both misunderstanding my point here, I've stopped following the LoI completely. I still keep track of the developments at Galway United and go to the odd game, but, I watch more of Spurs. I can easily hold a conversation about the players we (at GUFC) have, but I would have difficulty holding a conversation about the LoI as a whole. And 4/5 years ago GUFC were going through a decent spell, we looked 4/5 players short of pushing on for a title-run, it was also when Spurs started going on disastrous runs. So being called a fair-weather supporter is quite insulting. I watching quite a bit if La Liga now, do I support any if their teams? No. But I've much more an interest in that league than the LoI.

And PerryRoko you sound like the most arrogant, shallow supporter I've heard. It's like you support Rovers to abuse people that support foreign teams, why do you care so much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

And PerryRoko you sound like the most arrogant, shallow supporter I've heard. It's like you support Rovers to abuse people that support foreign teams, why do you care so much?

your some lad for throwing out the insults , who are you to lecture anyone? bit rich that coming from you....a bar stool supporter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement