Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Would Trinity accept a year in Pharmacy as Pre-med, seeing as they only do a 5 year Med course and don't have a Pre-med year

Not sure for TCD but my friend did pharm in TCD for a year then skipped premed in NUIGalway so Im sure you could. He also got top of his year in 1st year xmas exams and he said it was because of doing pharmacy :)

So yea, Im sure they would let you (and by the way, they don't offer you the choice, I think they put you in the 5 or 6 year course and you can't switch. Not fully sure tho).

So if you're setting yourself up for a 5 year course, be sure thats what you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Also, the idea that girls do better in section 2 was proposed because girls tend to be better able to convey their feelings and emotions. At our age this is definitely true (eg. guys don't share feelings caus were hard :P). But thats not to say guys can't share/convey/understand emotions as well as their double x chromosome bearing counterparts :) Any guy who's going for a good english result will whiz through S2.

The idea thats boys are better at section 3 is supported by two ideas;
    -people who do higher maths are better at S3/logical questions,
    -more boys do HL maths

Now both of these are kinda true so on the bigger scale, boys will do better in S3 and girls will do better in S2 (despite re-standardising gender biased questions).
    But the 'bigger scale' usually has little significance when it comes to individual candidates. If you are a girl doing HL maths, or a guy who likes analyzing other people, these generalisations mean absolutely nothing :)

I have one friend who's a guy and got 65 on S2 this year (which is pretty good, not amazing) and a girl who got 85-90 (can't remember exactly) on S3 which is sick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Hi I am a repeat hpat candidate and am now sitting on an overall score of 748. I am literally diving myself insane going over the possibilities of how the points will increase! I would be delighted with Galway but is there any way that there could be a 20 point jump this year for Galway?

All the people that I have been talking to have done exceptionally well in the hpat With most being in the 90+ percentile, are the percentiles accurate or is there any way that more people are in the upper percentiles then it seems?

Finally I was wondering how many people going for medicine have honours Maths/ have done well enough in honours Maths to be eligible to count the 25 extra points!

Thanks! :)

I find it impossible to imagine a 20 point jump, but then I'm an optimist. If points jumped that high, you'd need to about 90th percentile to have any chance, regardless of LC score and everyone else would be the same. Which would mean only about 10% of students would get in. About 3000 sit the hpat I think, which would mean 300 students. Which isn't enough to fill all of the places (which were in the 300s I think, plus UCC which is about 75 give-or-take). So I'm going to be bold and say NO, Galway will not reach 748, or even 740.

However, my argument is watery to say the least :P

In relation to you wondering about the percentiles... Well, similar to my excellent example above, 10% of students are 90th percentile or above. I dunno, maybe you're in a HPAT nerd cluster, I dunno :pac:

And as for the HL maths bonusy people, that was before my day... How old and withered I feel... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

~33,000 leaving cert students Each year

Probability of getting an A1 in HL maths: ~ 6.9 %
    Probability of getting a B2 or higher in HL maths: ~36%
    Probability of getting over 500 points in the leaving: ~8%
    Probability of getting 80th percentile: ~ 20%

P(over 500 & 80th percentile): (0.08 x 0.2) = 0.016
    => 528 students

P(B2 or higher in maths, over 500pts, 80th percentile): (0.36x0.2x0.08) = 0.00576
    => 190 students

P(A1 in maths, over 500pts, 80th percentile): (0.08 x0.2x0.069) = 0.001104
    => 36 students

Numbers don't look to bad actually, the gross over/under simplifications might be cancelling each other out on both sides making these figures highly accurate!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Nazata wrote: »
    Yeah I did, I found it was very helpful for section 3, not really helpful for section 2 and slightly helpful for question 1.
    I guess I'll see if it really helped on Monday though....
    Can you tell me what the story is with getting into a UK college to study medicine? I'm seriosly thinking of signing up to do the UKCAT but do you only need it for some colleges? Do you have to do some kind of interview as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

Thanks kellogscoffee and hollinger! I am just PRAYING that I will get in and the points increases will be small! It will a long Wat until offers!

Does anyone know how many people with points under 550 got in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

jos360 wrote: »
    Also, the idea that girls do better in section 2 was proposed because girls tend to be better able to convey their feelings and emotions. At our age this is definitely true (eg. guys don't share feelings caus were hard :P). But thats not to say guys can't share/convey/understand emotions as well as their double x chromosome bearing counterparts :) Any guy who's going for a good english result will whiz through S2.

The idea thats boys are better at section 3 is supported by two ideas;
    -people who do higher maths are better at S3/logical questions,
    -more boys do HL maths

Now both of these are kinda true so on the bigger scale, boys will do better in S3 and girls will do better in S2 (despite re-standardising gender biased questions).
    But the 'bigger scale' usually has little significance when it comes to individual candidates. If you are a girl doing HL maths, or a guy who likes analyzing other people, these generalisations mean absolutely nothing :)

I have one friend who's a guy and got 65 on S2 this year (which is pretty good, not amazing) and a girl who got 85-90 (can't remember exactly) on S3 which is sick :P

I don't know that doing well in section 3 has any link to doing well in honours maths. I mean, I think honours maths is a walk in the park, but I only scored 53 in section 3. Maybe I'm an exception, I don't know, but I wouldn't make that assumption anyway.

I would be inclined to agree with girls generally doing better in section 2 and boys better in section 3 though, but I wouldn't say there's a huge difference based on gender.

Can you tell me what the story is with getting into a UK college to study medicine? I'm seriosly thinking of signing up to do the UKCAT but do you only need it for some colleges? Do you have to do some kind of interview as well?

Need it for all colleges except Oxford and Cambridge (which use the BMAT). The individual selection processes for the colleges are (I think) up to themselves, but most of them do require an interview. the deadline for UCAS (which is the UK version of CAO) was the 15th of October when I applied in 2010, and I think it's around the same time still. You have to do a personal statement on why you'd make a kick-ass doctor and why the uni would looove to have you around as a student and all that kinda stuff, the UKCAT and a prediction of your LC grades. Competition is pretty tough I think, it was too tough for me anyway :P

hollingr wrote: »

=> 528 students

P(B2 or higher in maths, over 500pts, 80th percentile): (0.36x0.2x0.08) = 0.00576
    => 190 students

=> 36 students

Numbers don't look to bad actually, the gross over/under simplifications might be cancelling each other out on both sides making these figures highly accurate!! :p

Hollingr makes maths fun :pac:

=> 528 students

=> 190 students

=> 36 students

8% of all LC students get over 500 points, but I think that figure would be higher for medicine applicants as generally people who apply for medicine are going to be higher achievers? I think that's a fair assumption to make, maybe 30% or more med applicants get over 500.

Do you not also think that maybe there's some correlation between doing well in honours maths and doing well in the hpat? I'm not saying there definitely is, but it's a possibility. There could also be a correlation between doing well in the LC and in the hpat.
    I don't think we'll ever know for sure if such correlations exist, but I wouldn't say they're unlikely.

• Advertisement

As I said, plenty of gross over simplifications in there!

Also remember that 3000 people take hpat, but that figure is calculated based on 33,000, a huge difference.

Also the maths figure I calculated is based on all l.c students, in reality far less actually even do honours maths.

I'm just guessing that the overestimations will roughly cancel out the underestimations!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

any hpat repeaters out there?
    do you thing taking a year out to focus on just the hpat is a smart idea?
    or how was the pressure of college with studying the hpat? I'm thinking of pharmacy ( all depending ) and defering for a year... any thoughts?:D

any hpat repeaters out there?
    do you thing taking a year out to focus on just the hpat is a smart idea?
    or how was the pressure of college with studying the hpat? I'm thinking of pharmacy ( all depending ) and defering for a year... any thoughts?:D

I have a few friends in Pharmacy and they are working very hard. It's a tough course with alot of hours so I don't think it's the best option if you want to repeat the hpat! You should be able to dedicate alot of time to hpat practice which you might not have in pharmacy! I'd reccomend differing for a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

How fast do the HPAT preparation courses fill up? When would one want to be signing up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

you can sign up until Christmas i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

you can sign up until Christmas i think

I suppose the better question is when did everyone start preparing for the HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Sorry I know I could find this out myself but I am too lazy...:pac:

What medicine colleges do Pre med?

and which courses can you do for a year then jump straight into first med without having to do Pre med?

Cheeeeeeeers

I went from 173 to 192 with intensive prep.

I had done a few drills and practise tests before getting the 173, but this year I put in a whole lot more effort.

Like any test, you can study for it but to go up significantly you need to put in ALOT of work. I would recommend starting practise as early as possible so you have more time to improve and figure out your strengths and weaknesses. It is a very intense exam and you need to build up to it slowly.

it's alot easier to go form 150 to 170 than it is to go from 170 to 190.. Also the test really does suit some people more than others and the best thing prep does for you is make you realise where your strengths and weaknesses are and what you need to work on most.

I suppose the better question is when did everyone start preparing for the HPAT?

Around the start of January for me. As hollingr said you need to put in a lot of work to bring up your score significantly, you might have to ask yourself if it's worth putting a huge amount of work in.

For me it wasn't, I did a practise test and figured I was around where I'd need to be so I didn't want to waste a lot of time on hpat prep when I could be putting it to better use. It's like a subject - if it's one of your weaker subjects you'll need to spend more time at it than if it's a stronger one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doctorbecs

Dublad93 wrote: »
    " For people in the 525+ range getting bumped up to 550, there are going to be very few who are actually hpat competitive."...that really isn't true to be honest with you, there is no real correlation between a really high lc score and a really high hpat score. People who get in the 525-550 range would be getting in and around the same as the people who get 625.

i agree completely here... just to give u a rough idea... the people in my course we all got in and around the 530-540 range in lc last year... that made us work extra hard on HPAT and not one of us are below 93rd percentile entering cao last year. as an example i only got 530 points and am sitting on 765 this year as are most of my course. you simply cannot rule out people who dont achieve the 550+s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

Hollingr makes maths fun :pac:

Maths IS fun! B)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

I repeated the hpat this year and went from 167 to 204. I signed up to a particular prep course at the start of September and tried to do 3-4 hours a week until December, then 7 hours a week with a practice exam at the weekend and gradually built it up and decreased my hours nearer the time so i wouldn't be sick of it on the day!! :P It's probably different for everyone but i thought consistency is definitely the key! And starting as early as September i felt in control (especially for a worrier like me! :P ) and didn't panic when things weren't going my way at the start! :) There's no harm in signing up early anyway and having an ole read through the guides would even get you more focused! :) Btw, best of luck! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Would Trinity accept a year in Pharmacy as Pre-med, seeing as they only do a 5 year Med course and don't have a Pre-med year

Do you mean fees wise? To be honest I can't see this working in the way that it does for colleges that have premed. For colleges that do premed, they see pharmacy as first year (free fees) and then first med as second year (free fees). If you did this in Trinity, it would be pharmacy as first year (free fees) and then first med would still be first year (cos its first year for everyone), so you're "repeating" first year, and therefore fees. However I really can't speak for Trinity, the best thing to do would be to ask on the Trinity forum or email their admissions office?

I hope that makes sense!
    NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Sorry I know I could find this out myself but I am too lazy...:pac:

What medicine colleges do Pre med?

and which courses can you do for a year then jump straight into first med without having to do Pre med?

Cheeeeeeeers

Read page 2 of this, it has all the info you need in that table: http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2012UGMed Entry.pdf

(When you're pasting in the link take out the space between Med and Entry, boards will censor it otherwise)

doctorbecs wrote: »
    i agree completely here... just to give u a rough idea... the people in my course we all got in and around the 530-540 range in lc last year... that made us work extra hard on HPAT and not one of us are below 93rd percentile entering cao last year. as an example i only got 530 points and am sitting on 765 this year as are most of my course. you simply cannot rule out people who dont achieve the 550+s

Again.. I never said they should be ruled out. I am one of them! :p

How many of those in the 530 range in your class also had A1's in maths?

doctorbecs wrote: »
    Dublad93 wrote: »
    " For people in the 525+ range getting bumped up to 550, there are going to be very few who are actually hpat competitive."...that really isn't true to be honest with you, there is no real correlation between a really high lc score and a really high hpat score. People who get in the 525-550 range would be getting in and around the same as the people who get 625.

765 is a huge amount of points but logically how many can be on 765. Also are you in medicine or what course are you in and how many people are getting these huge points? This is really freaking me out, do you therefore think that there could be a huge jump in points this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

765 is a huge amount of points but logically how many can be on 765. Also are you in medicine or what course are you in and how many people are getting these huge points? This is really freaking me out, do you therefore think that there could be a huge jump in points this year?

I think you've just been unlucky with all the people you've been talking to having high scores! :) Look at the graph, you can see how many people are on each score, and obviously for all those in the >90's you have thousands on less than that.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the points won't go to 765 anyway :P But no one can predict the points, its been a guessing game every year. They will probably go up by a few points, but in my opinion* they won't sky rocket like they did last year.

*I really hope my opinion is right, but don't hold me to it, k? :P

I think you've just been unlucky with all the people you've been talking to having high scores! :) Look at the graph, you can see how many people are on each score, and obviously for all those in the >90's you have thousands on less than that.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the points won't go to 765 anyway :P But no one can predict the points, its been a guessing game every year. They will probably go up by a few points, but in my opinion* they won't sky rocket like they did last year.

*I really hope my opinion is right, but don't hold me to it, k? :P

Thank you that was very encouraging! I am trying to study for college exams and this is driving me crazy! I want to do medicine so badly and I have myself convinced that points will rise by 20 and I'll miss out! Hopefully only a small rise will be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

I'm not sure where the 99th%tile started this year but I'd say somewhere around 200 so with Max LC points of 565 that make 765. There should only be 70 people in the 99-100th%tile and there's like 400 med places so points will definitely not go to 765 in any college! If all the people in the 90-100th%tiles got 565 that's 340ish people
    With a minimum of 754 and still there's places left, keep in mind only 0.3% of
    People get 600 points (or 625) and only 2.5% get between 550 and 595. So from all this rambling I think I've reassured myself that points can't go past 750 :P (and still I don't think they'll reach 750)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doctorbecs

Again.. I never said they should be ruled out. I am one of them! :p

How many of those in the 530 range in your class also had A1's in maths?

6a1s, 9a2s, 13b1s and i think 3 didnt do honours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pros_medhead

Hi everyone,

Stumbled upon this thread while panicking over my points and was majorlly reassured by all your predictions/estimates so thank you all so much for that!! You slowly send yourself insane estimating what the points could be esp with the bonus maths! had myself at rediculous conclusions it would rise to 770!? yeah i know...

Just want to give a shout to all the people who dont think they'll get med this year, or those who are on the borderline and dont know what to do next year...
    I was in the same position last year...
    only got 152 in hpat and only 530 in lc
    thought f my life, never gonna bother retrying for medicine, just gonna do law (!??? yeah i know, i know!!!)
    but i always thought if i didnt give it my best shot one more time id always look back and regret.
    Did biomed in UCD for a year, PURELY to focus on the hpat and be able to enter 2nd year med and it was a hugely successful choice for me, went up to 98th and am now almost 40 points above trinity last year.
    guys, whatever happens this year, if med is what u want, go for it, if u want it badly enough you'll get it...
    Also.. dont listen to people who claim 765 is 'common' and widely achieved... good for them... but the points aren't going up by any more than 10 im guessing (after basically reading this entire thread!)
    good luck in august guys, fingers crossed ye get what ye want!!

Advertisement