Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

after taking what hollingr suggested,i would adjust my previous prediction slightly, 1 st round offers should increase tcd by 5 to 746. ucd increase by 7 to 745 . ucc increase by 8 to 742 rcsi increase by 9 to 742, ucg increase by 12 to 741.
    i agree with hollingr that the increase will not be uniform as the students having the points for tcd will all be above 550(excluding hons maths) whereas at the other end ,alot of ucg students will be getting the benefit of 25 points with lc of 525 providing they get the 190+hpat .

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

rich but unhappy career

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    rich but unhappy career

you really ARE mr.fun huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jammiedodge

after taking what hollingr suggested,i would adjust my previous prediction slightly, 1 st round offers should increase tcd by 5 to 746. ucd increase by 7 to 745 . ucc increase by 8 to 742 rcsi increase by 9 to 742, ucg increase by 12 to 741.
    i agree with hollingr that the increase will not be uniform as the students having the points for tcd will all be above 550(excluding hons maths) whereas at the other end ,alot of ucg students will be getting the benefit of 25 points with lc of 525 providing they get the 190+hpat .

I realise you're just speculating on points, but your prediction of a 12 point increase for nuig (741) will mean that a person with 600 LC pts (560) and a 180 HPAT still won't make the cut at 740. or a person with 550 pts and a 190 hpat...I'm a pessimistic person myself when it comes to med points increases, but that seems a little high.

...and there's only a gap of 5 points between trinity and Nuig in your predictions, compared to the significant gap seen between them in previous years (up to a 11 point gap). There's always going to be students sitting on the high end of points (i.e. high 740s and 750s) but surely not enough to fill the 400+ places. or atleast i hope so.

My pessimistic guess would be 738/ 739 for nuig (which is not much lower than yours but 3 points is huge in med terms). It would mean i'll miss out so i'm praying it's a little lower than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

you really ARE mr.fun huh?[/QUOTE

money money money

• Advertisement

i hope you're right and i'm wrong,i know what you are saying but remember that this is the first year of extra 25 points which will put push the lower end of the points dramatically ,but the upper end will only go up 5 points,hence the spread between ucg and tcd will be much narrower .remember anyone who did the lc over the last years and years who got 525 points and a good hpat either this year or last year wil be competing for ucg ,rcsi
    hopefully im wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

i hope you're right and i'm wrong,i know what you are saying but remember that this is the first year of extra 25 points which will put push the lower end of the points dramatically ,but the upper end will only go up 5 points,hence the spread between ucg and tcd will be much narrower .remember anyone who did the lc over the last years and years who got 525 points and a good hpat either this year or last year wil be competing for ucg ,rcsi

It is interesting to hear other peoples views - I am sticking with my prediction of between 8 and 12 points increase....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

Would you say 748 would be enough for trinity? And also is there a certain no. Of places set aside for uk applicants or do we have to compete with them too?

I'm pretty sure that all EU applicants compete against each other... And with 747 I realllllly hope it's enough for Trinity!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Paralysis wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that all EU applicants compete against each other... And with 747 I realllllly hope it's enough for Trinity!

I'm on 747 too my third time around. I'll be beyond disgusted if it's not enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

My prediction is that the 25 bonus points will cause a tighter points spread between the courses since many more people will be hitting the 550 mark. I expect something like 738 for NUIG first round and 747 for trinity first round. And 737 on random selection for NUIG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Taco Chips wrote: »

I'm on 747 too my third time around. I'll be beyond disgusted if it's not enough :(

How do ye know what points ye have? Worse case scenario? I'm sure you did better than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

ChemHickey wrote: »
    How do ye know what points ye have? Worse case scenario? I'm sure you did better than you think.

Maybe they'd already done the LC and just repeated the hpat this year?

finality wrote: »

Makes sense... makes sense...

Darksider wrote: »
    My prediction is that the 25 bonus points will cause a tighter points spread between the courses since many more people will be hitting the 550 mark. I expect something like 738 for NUIG first round and 747 for trinity first round. And 737 on random selection for nuig

are you just making a guess or have you any reason to justify your assesment . i know my assesment is differant but i'm hoping your assesment will be the correct one.

My prediction is that the 25 bonus points will cause a tighter points spread between the courses since many more people will be hitting the 550 mark. I expect something like 738 for NUIG first round and 747 for trinity first round. And 737 on random selection for nuig

are you just making a guess or have you any reason to justify your assesment . i know my assesment is differant but i'm hoping your assesment will be the correct one.

A guess is all that anyone can make since no amount of maths can predict how things will actually turn out in the real world (especially considering how many variables there are which we don't/can't have accurate numbers for.)

I just came up with those numbers by considering the negligible change in hpat results from 2011 to 2012, factoring in the 25 extra points, and using my own reasoning.

I really doubt that nuig would reach 740 on first round as that would mean someone with 580 points would need a hpat result in the high 80s(percentile). I think there's unlikely to be enough people (getting those high points and also such a high hpat) to fill the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jammiedodge

hi... i agree with your logic that the points range between the universities will be tighter than the other years, considering most people will be hitting the 550 mark with the bonus points. However, i'm still very skeptical about it reaching 740 for NUIG (fingers and toes crossed that it doesn't!).

Last year, someone with 550 points and a 180 hpat would've got in pretty comfortably with 730. So I was thinking that since HPAT results have stagnated this year (i've ROUGHLY calculated from the 2011 hpat results graph that 587 people scored 180 and above, compared to this year where 576 people scored at 180 and above....yes, I was sad enough to do that :o), it would sort of hint that someone with 575 LC pts (555) and a 180 HPAT should have a shot at nuig at 735 (if the 25 points were the only factor).

but the other factor is probably the people from previous years on 520 and 530 who can now compete for a place this year with a good HPAT (if only we had numbers). and I still don't understand if there's a certain number of places reserved for students from the UK/EU or if everyone's on an equal footing.

My moments of optimism don't last very long... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I did the Leaving Cert last year, repeated the HPAt for the third time this year.
    finality wrote: »

Yes, exactly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Does anyone know if you need to have Garda Vetting fully processed before you can start your course?
    Or if you've applied and are waiting for them to finish can you begin the first term in medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Nazata wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to have Garda Vetting fully processed before you can start your course?
    Or if you've applied and are waiting for them to finish can you begin the first term in medicine?

You get all the forms from the college with your registration pack around the end of August/beginning of September. You can start college without having it finished, you'll just get a date that you have to have it handed in by.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know around what date the medicine courses begin and how many hours of lectures there are per week?

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, anyone know around what date the medicine courses begin and how many hours of lectures there are per week?

They'll start the same dates as first years of any course. The dates depend on the university, it can be anything from the beginning of September to October. If you look up academic calendar on the unis' websites they'll have it there.

Do you mean for premed or first med? Again it will vary per college. There are specific forums for each college under the Edu category, if you do a search you'll probably find threads about it!

hi... i agree with your logic that the points range between the universities will be tighter than the other years, considering most people will be hitting the 550 mark with the bonus points. However, i'm still very skeptical about it reaching 740 for NUIG (fingers and toes crossed that it doesn't!).

Last year, someone with 550 points and a 180 hpat would've got in pretty comfortably with 730. So I was thinking that since HPAT results have stagnated this year (i've ROUGHLY calculated from the 2011 hpat results graph that 587 people scored 180 and above, compared to this year where 576 people scored at 180 and above....yes, I was sad enough to do that :o), it would sort of hint that someone with 575 LC pts (555) and a 180 HPAT should have a shot at nuig at 735 (if the 25 points were the only factor).

but the other factor is probably the people from previous years on 520 and 530 who can now compete for a place this year with a good HPAT (if only we had numbers). and I still don't understand if there's a certain number of places reserved for students from the UK/EU or if everyone's on an equal footing.

My moments of optimism don't last very long... *sigh*

all eu students compete equally.
    the only problem with your reasoning of someone with 180 hpat and 575 lc having a good chance is that this year ,this score would be less than all the scores of lc of 525-545 (before adding hons maths),with hpat of 186-182 accordingly,unlike last year. so the equivalent hpat of 180 last year would be 185 this year, to negate the effect of the 25 bonus maths.
    does that make sense !!!!!!!!!
    so 185 hpat +lc 550 (before extra maths points) =740 ( close to my previous prediction)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

You get all the forms from the college with your registration pack around the end of August/beginning of September. You can start college without having it finished, you'll just get a date that you have to have it handed in by.

Thanks QueenOfLeon, that's good to know considering the arduous waiting times for garda clearance... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

Is there an equivalent to Freshers Week/actual Freshers week in Ireland (Trinity)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Can someone give me an estimate of how many students attempt the hpat each year???

Is there an equivalent to Freshers Week/actual Freshers week in Ireland (Trinity)?

As far as I know every college has a freshers week/fortnight. Depending on the college though you might still have lectures and stuff on that week.
    Leinsterr wrote: »
    Can someone give me an estimate of how many students attempt the hpat each year???

Around 3000 apparently.

Leinsterr wrote: »
    in 2011 ,3,400 sat hpat. this year 3600 sat hpat .this is another reason that my prediction seems to be more pessimistic than others,sadly

in 2011 ,3,400 sat hpat. this year 3600 sat hpat .this is another reason that my prediction seems to be more pessimistic than others,sadly

But think of the students who have only sat it for the sake of sitting it and those who saw the result of the Hpat and changed courses. LOADS of my friends who scored from 150-180 changed their CAO because they don't think they'll get med. I;m sure the same happened all over the country.

But think of the students who have only sat it for the sake of sitting it and those who saw the result of the Hpat and changed courses. LOADS of my friends who scored from 150-180 changed their CAO because they don't think they'll get med. I;m sure the same happened all over the country.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that 735 is the absolute minimum NUIG could go to this year. That means the smallest hpat score one could possibly get in with is 170 which is around 72nd percentile. So that means at the moment there are around 1000 people competing for the ~600 (i think?) places in medicine. Honestly if someone scored over 180 they shouldn't really be too worried provided their exams went well.

did you do the hpat btw?

• Advertisement

I'm gonna go ahead and say that 735 is the absolute minimum NUIG could go to this year. That means the smallest hpat score one could possibly get in with is 170 which is around 72nd percentile. So that means at the moment there are around 1000 people competing for the ~600 (i think?) places in medicine. Honestly if someone scored over 180 they shouldn't really be too worried provided their exams went well.

did you do the hpat btw?

Yeah? I don't know why people would change and what not... I'd leave it top and then just accept like 7th choice on my CAO if not.

No... I didn't... I'm just trolling trying to comfort people. Not working though... :L

Advertisement