Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

I'm a repeat student from last year, expecting my score to drop quite a bit, as I noticed a lot of people saying it was 'easy' in my exam centre, yet I found it harder than last year. By that I mean that Section 1 and 2 were harder and Section 3 was easier.

What really surprised me was I got the exact same score! So it looks like I won't be getting in again this year, but it's weird to get the same. But what was stranger was that I was 89th percentile last year, but 90th this year, so the average may have slipped, which I never expected. (It's bizarre I know, but I'm annoyed I didn't get higher.)

But with a combination of bonus points for Mathematics and the points always increasing, I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum to get in is the high 740's, so I'll would be off a few points this year. This isn't a prediction as such as you really never know and it seems far too complex to work out, but there is always that increase by the looks of it. This increase may only be a few points. We'll have to play the waiting game as usual to find out.

If you don't get it, it may seem like the worst thing to happen to you. I know I was pretty annoyed not to get in, even worse that I had the points to get in but due to random selection I didn't, so I wasn't 1 or 2 points off, I was actually on the boundary!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Crush525 wrote: »

But with a combination of bonus points for Mathematics and the points always increasing, I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum to get in is the high 740's

Dont the points go up every year due to rises in hpat scores ?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Crush525 wrote: »
    I'm a repeat student from last year, expecting my score to drop quite a bit, as I noticed a lot of people saying it was 'easy' in my exam centre, yet I found it harder than last year. By that I mean that Section 1 and 2 were harder and Section 3 was easier.

What really surprised me was I got the exact same score! So it looks like I won't be getting in again this year, but it's weird to get the same. But what was stranger was that I was 89th percentile last year, but 90th this year, so the average may have slipped, which I never expected. (It's bizarre I know, but I'm annoyed I didn't get higher.)

But with a combination of bonus points for Mathematics and the points always increasing, I wouldn't be surprised if the minimum to get in is the high 740's, so I'll would be off a few points this year. This isn't a prediction as such as you really never know and it seems far too complex to work out, but there is always that increase by the looks of it. This increase may only be a few points. We'll have to play the waiting game as usual to find out.

If you don't get it, it may seem like the worst thing to happen to you. I know I was pretty annoyed not to get in, even worse that I had the points to get in but due to random selection I didn't, so I wasn't 1 or 2 points off, I was actually on the boundary!

Well technically you did do better in relation to everybody else...so well done :D fantastic score!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

spasmaster wrote: »
    Dont the points go up every year due to rises in hpat scores ?

Yeah, so the only increase this year could be due to higher maths OR an increase in applicants (but i dunno if there was one)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I'd say both. Our career guidance teacher seems very in the know and guessed 747...let's see if he's right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

I'd say both. Our career guidance teacher seems very in the know and guessed 747...let's see if he's right!

747 for which course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adrenaline junkie

What are the marks for each section (1, 2 and 3) of the exam does anyone know? I want to see how I did in each of the sections. I don't think they are evenly marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

What are the marks for each section (1, 2 and 3) of the exam does anyone know? I want to see how I did in each of the sections. I don't think they are evenly marked.

The max score for each section is 100. However, if you got 50/100, this does not mean you got half of the questions right. The questions are weighted according to a marking scheme that is not published.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 browniess

Has anybody here had re-checks on hpat results or know of anyone who has? I'm really on the borderline with my result and am really considering a re-check, even for the possibility of getting a 1 or 2 point raise. My section 3 score was lower than i expected it to be-- i know it's hard to predict.

but obviously there's the chance that i could drop too.
    and the idea of shelling out 80 euro doesn't please me either.

Any opinions or stories?
    I repeated the hpat this year btw...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tophat

Hi all,

Got 175 in the HPAT the other day, a percentile of 76...pretty devastated, as I dont think I'll be able to do medicine, even with honours maths...I dont know what to do now, except to keep working hard at the lc. Im considering repeating the hpat next year, and apply to the cao again, but perhaps I should cut my losses and just start first year of my second choice. Any experience/ advice from those who've found themselves in similar situations would be much appreciated.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

I find it hard to see an increase to 747 for any course really. With hpat scores the same or slightly lower this year, a massive rise in points as seen last year seems unlikely. Fewer people sat the hpat this year too. Add to that an extra 20 undergrad places in Galway, points could even drop, if it weren't for higher Maths. I reckon an overall rise of 4 or 5 points, except for Galway which might only go up 2 or 3...

eia340600 wrote: »
    I find it hard to see an increase to 747 for any course really. With hpat scores the same or slightly lower this year, a massive rise in points as seen last year seems unlikely. Fewer people sat the hpat this year too. Add to that an extra 20 undergrad places in Galway, points could even drop, if it weren't for higher Maths. I reckon an overall rise of 4 or 5 points, except for Galway which might only go up 2 or 3...

Are you sure about the 20 extra undergrad places in Galway? They were added last year if that's what you're thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

Does anyone know how many places there are exactly for undergraduate medicine?

Does anyone know how many places there are exactly for undergraduate medicine?

372 plus whatever UCC has...its the only one that doesn't mention it on qualifax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AnnoyedStudent

Help! Someone in my school claims to have gotten 98 percentile but I don't believe her. She is not particularly intelligent and she didn't say what she got until today. She said she hadn't opened hers yet yesterday but I think she just wanted to see what others got before making up her score to seem great. I've heard her lie about test results before too. Another girl in our year genuinely got 98% and I think this is unfair on her. Noone else seems to think she's lying but I'm sure she is. She initially said she got 97 percentile earlier in the day but later changed to 98. If that's not dodgy, what is? WHat should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Help! Someone in my school claims to have gotten 98 percentile but I don't believe her. She is not particularly intelligent and she didn't say what she got until today. She said she hadn't opened hers yet yesterday but I think she just wanted to see what others got before making up her score to seem great. I've heard her lie about test results before too. Another girl in our year genuinely got 98% and I think this is unfair on her. Noone else seems to think she's lying but I'm sure she is. She initially said she got 97 percentile earlier in the day but later changed to 98. If that's not dodgy, what is? WHat should I do?
    Report her to the fraud department in the nearest Garda station, obviously.

Are you sure about the 20 extra undergrad places in Galway? They were added last year if that's what you're thinking about?

I spoke to a lecturer there at the open day last Saturday and she said spaces were going up in 12/13 from 99 to 119. Did that happen past year already?

Report her to the fraud department in the nearest Garda station, obviously.

But I don't want to challenge her and look like an idiot if I'm wrong. And everyone else in my year will think I'm jealous or a sore loser or something. I wish I knew her candidate number so I could check her score myself

eia340600 wrote: »
    I spoke to a lecturer there at the open day last Saturday and she said spaces were going up in 12/13 from 99 to 119. Did that happen past year already?

Yup, the places for Irish undergrads went up last year to 119.
    But I don't want to challenge her and look like an idiot if I'm wrong. And everyone else in my year will think I'm jealous or a sore loser or something. I wish I knew her candidate number so I could check her score myself

It doesn't matter what she got, concentrate on your own score and LC! It'll all come out in August :P

It does matter though when she takes away from my score and others' scores. It's totally disgusting. I despise liars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

It does matter though when she takes away from my score and others' scores. It's totally disgusting. I despise liars

Seriously what does it matter? You sound like you just want all the glory and attention...she's just kidding herself anyways if she is lying! And remember...innocent until proven guilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Hey,

Just wondering is there a prize/bursary etc. for getting the top score or anything?

Maybe you're right but I'd prefer proof that she was 'innocent'

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

Ara she will get caught in her web of lies sooner or later its karma after all =D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

Hi :) I didnt get med last year and it was a huge knock! I then went into science and repeated the hpat! i put a huge amount of work in and managed to increase my hpat percentile from 40 to 95! I am now on 748 points but am now beginning to worry that points will skyrocket and i still wont get in anywhere! Does anyone have any insight into or thoughts on how much the points will increase! thanks :)!

tahina wrote: »
    Ara she will get caught in her web of lies sooner or later its karma after all =D

You're right :) I know myself that I did better than her haha

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys seriously before looking at ure posts no one mentioned abt this medicine points rise. chillax, i doubt that the lowest is going to be 747 or whatever. dont be worried esp. those of u who have got ureselves a score in the 740's or even 730's. last yr 725 got in!!
    and btw im seeing some great results here, this yr was my first yr doing the hpat n ill b sitting my lc for the 1st time dis yr and tbh i did study a lot for this but i didnt do good, i plan to repeat the hpat net yr so any advice and tips would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

You're right :) I know myself that I did better than her haha

Omg da amount of sad faces in skool afta da results wer unbelievable it was like sum1 died

Hi :) I didnt get med last year and it was a huge knock! I then went into science and repeated the hpat! i put a huge amount of work in and managed to increase my hpat percentile from 40 to 95! I am now on 748 points but am now beginning to worry that points will skyrocket and i still wont get in anywhere! Does anyone have any insight into or thoughts on how much the points will increase! thanks :)!

I can't see the points skyrocketing at all this year. I'd say a 4 or 5 point rise is likely but past that there's no justification. Applications are down and hpat scores are the same or down. The only thing raising scores is higher Maths and that will only bring points up by about 5 because the vast majority getting med are scoring over 550 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

I would recommend starting college and doing one of the biomed courses and then just working really really hard at the hpat. Do all the practice tests you can get your hands on and then make sure you dissect each one after you do them! spend the most amount of time on section 3 as that is where you can improve the most! Good luck and it is doable! after i got 40th percentile i had myself convinced that i just good at the hpat but i suppose just working at it can improve your score! :)

Advertisement