Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RADON99

dynamot wrote: »
    Hi guys, can someone clear this up for me. I was gutted with my Hpat score of 159 (an increase of 2 points from last year!) but when i totted up my points they seemed too high

LC score 560 ----> 552 med points
    Hpat score ----> 159
    bonus for higher maths
    > 25

totaling 736

That is higher than galway last year isnt it?

sorry man but it works like
    your LC score 585
    >557 med points
    Hpat score ----> 159

totalling 716.. sorry man , hopefully you're not too disappointed because it's certainly not the end of the world. Go into another a course and you may end up loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

RADON99 wrote: »
    sorry man but it works like
    your LC score 585
    >557 med points
    Hpat score ----> 159

totalling 716.. sorry man , hopefully you're not too disappointed because it's certainly not the end of the world. Go into another a course and you may end up loving it

cheers, knew being in the 52nd percentile couldn't have been that good!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

CM182 wrote: »
    Is there any hope for me if I got 178 (80th percentile)?

Got the exact same as you.. Please say there is hope for us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ambaiste

Got 180 last year, 178 this year. Gutted. Was up ten on section 2 from last year and section one let me down!! Left with a combine 731. Hoping for HEAR scheme but other than that, completely hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Went down so much from last year. Absolutely devastated. :'(
    Do these results mean I'm not capable of med, that I'm not intelligent enough, that I'm a failure? :'(
    Most likely (since I don't know you) no, no, and definitely no.

Unfortunately you are competing in a broken system. The HPAT has been nothing short of a complete disaster in terms of course selection. The evidence that repeats are favoured more then first time candidates is overwhelming at this stage, and I really don't see the HPAT being continued into next year (the reason I suspect the results came out early this year was so they could announce a change in time for September next year.)

On top of that, bar the ability to perform under pressure, what exactly the HPAT even measures and whether it measures it accurately is questionable.

To all those bitterly disappointed, it will pass. You need to recoup quickly and get on with doing well in your LC. You have plenty of options - but remember the rules of or the HPAT itself may very well change for next year. You can take a year out, get a job or something and just do the HPAT, repeat both the HPAT and LC, or do another course and repeat the HPAT in that course if you like.

I know plenty of people in college who decided to do an undergrad course and repeat the HPAT over the year, but actually found that they loved the undergrad course they were in and decided to hold off and do postgrad medicine if they still wanted to. Funny how feelings change!

For postgrad medicine, yes it's more expensive, but ultimately assuming all goes well you'll be at the same place you would be at the end of undergrad med in only 8/9 years. Might seem a long time, but it's only 2-4 years longer - and you'll have had a hell of a lot more experience at life and (most likely, depending on your undergrad) science by then.

To those of you that did well, congratulations, but now back to study! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wilryan92

absolutely gutted:( doing pharmacy this year in college and decided to repeat the hpat, taking in account for the annual increase in points for it and the increase in points for maths i think ill be like ten points off this year i would think. disgusted the leaving didnt go as well as i hoped it would last year.
    Concerning what jumpguy said, i agree its not the end of the world, for anyone who didnt get it this year, you can always do a post grad if you still wish, one of my friends sister did biochem and shes going into medicine next year and another one of my friend's brother is doing it at the moment over in scotland after becoming a physio and practising as one for a few years, tbh i think thats what i hope to do, maybe give the hpat another lash but ill see. There's nothing wrong with being even more qualified and for anyone who goes into a science course it will make it all the easier when it comes to it so dont be too down. I'll give those of ye who are doing the leaving one bit of advise i wish someone said to me last year, dont leave anything behind you so when youv it done you can say you couldnt have given it any more, theres nothing worse than seeing your results and knowing you could have done better

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKF

Could someone please tell me what percentile 175 is in?

Thanks!

J
    K
    F

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

JamieKF wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me what percentile 175 is in?

Thanks!

J
    K
    F

My friend got in the high 170s and that was 77 she said, so i'd imagine it's 75-77ish

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

I got 173 and that was in the 73rd percentile... any hope? I do have honours maths and am fairly confident I can get 580+ points...? So devestated atm... :(

How many sat the HPAT this year?

Also, is Trinity most people's first choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Congrats everyone. Those who got in the 80th percentile, don't feel bad, that's actually an extremely good score! One of my close friends got 169 points but he still thinks he can get med.! All ye can do now is put the head down for the next 5 weeks and who knows what you can achieve!

But my god, the atmosphere in school today was dreadful. The sight of people hiding away to cry to themselves at random stages during the day was so bad to watch :( My friend, when I asked him how he'd done, was on the verge of breaking down and tbh, I nearly felt like crying for him! He got 202 in his mock hpat and to go down to 169 was just awful. But hey, he's still optimistic and although it's a long shot, he's still going to do his very best to get medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

So, if I wanted to start a course and re-do the HPAT next year, what is my best option for a course? Which crosses over with Med the most? Human Health and Disease, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

I am starting to study for next year now, I must redeem myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Does anyone know what percentile 170 is?

dmca93 wrote: »

Low 70s I would say 173 is the 73rd :pac:

dmca93 wrote: »

69th

Did you do it last year too?

I got 173 and that was in the 73rd percentile... any hope? I do have honours maths and am fairly confident I can get 580+ points...? So devestated atm... :(

I am in the exact same boat. I will keep you in my prayers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKF

What do people think will be the minimum points requirement this year in any of the colleges?
    Bearing in mind that HPAT results have stayed the same. Also the bonus points for maths may or may not have a huge effect. A lot of Med applicants in previous years would have taken ordinary level maths and now these students have really been forced to take higher level which may reduce their score and having to concentrate on that subject may affect their other subjects as well.

What do people think will be the minimum points requirement this year in any of the colleges?
    Bearing in mind that HPAT results have stayed the same. Also the bonus points for maths may or may not have a huge effect. A lot of Med applicants in previous years would have taken ordinary level maths and now these students have really been forced to take higher level which may reduce their score and having to concentrate on that subject may affect their other subjects as well.

Just FYI, i've been studying the percentile curves for 2011 and 2012, (cus i'm cool like that) and the points have decreased by 3 or 4 points since 2011, in general. Not massive, but critical for us on the borderline!

Quite possible but too optimistic for most people on this thread ;)
    I can see the points rising about 10 for each with random selection becoming the norm....Real fair :P

• Advertisement

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Quite possible but too optimistic for most people on this thread ;)
    I can see the points rising about 10 for each with random selection becoming the norm....Real fair :P

Considering HPAT results have dropped a bit, i'd say an increase of max 7/8, but most likely 5, but this may just be wishful thinking.

Paralysis wrote: »
    Considering HPAT results have dropped a bit, i'd say an increase of max 7/8, but most likely 5, but this may just be wishful thinking.

Stop just stop i have already resigned myself to the fact that I am doing Science next year haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cathal94

Hi guys, can someone clear this up for me. I was gutted with my Hpat score of 159 (an increase of 2 points from last year!) but when i totted up my points they seemed too high

Hpat score ----> 159
    bonus for higher maths
    > 25

totaling 736

That is higher than galway last year isnt it?

I got 159 too. I was very disappointed but what can you do. I'm still hoping that with a good lc, the bonus maths points and the fact that I qualify for HEAR under all 6 categories that I still have a chance. Keep the faith!

cathal94 wrote: »
    I got 159 too. I was very disappointed but what can you do. I'm still hoping that with a good lc, the bonus maths points and the fact that I qualify for HEAR under all 6 categories that I still have a chance. Keep the faith!

You think that with HEAR you'll have a chance? I got 170 and had completely given up but if HEAR can make that much of a difference then maybe I shouldn't give up completely.

Or am I being unrealistic? Can someone put this into perspective for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dawsongA

So, if I wanted to start a course and re-do the HPAT next year, what is my best option for a course? Which crosses over with Med the most? Human Health and Disease, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy or something else?

I didn't get medicine after the leaving cert, missed out by just 4 points, but I ended up reluctantly doing physiotherapy and I now I must say that I absolutely love it! It might sound cheesy but it is the best thing that could have happened for me! Definitely happened for a reason.

As far as course content goes we have some lectures with the Med students, and so many modules are similar if not the same as them.

I have made friends that I know I will stay close to for a long time to come and I've had experiences that I never thought I would! College is incredible no matter what course you do. Its about developing as a person as well as getting the course you want. I have applied for medicine again, hoping that the extra 25 for maths will benefit me somehow, but I now know it really really isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work out. There's always postgrad.. And doing a course like physio gets you involved in so many clinical areas and gives you experience in pretty much every aspect of the hospital. And again the people really are great!

I've been in that place before where getting medicine is the be-all and end-all of everything and you feel like all your hopes lie on just one day, but trust me, no matter where you are in September you are headed towards one of the best experiences of your life.. I envy you starting all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

cathal94 wrote: »

Hpat score ----> 159
    bonus for higher maths
    > 25

totaling 736

But I don't think you add 25 to the overall do you? The maximum is 565 for your leaving is now, so you getting 560+25 is 557 then adding your 159 makes 716?

dawsongA wrote: »
    I didn't get medicine after the leaving cert, missed out by just 4 points, but I ended up reluctantly doing physiotherapy and I now I must say that I absolutely love it! It might sound cheesy but it is the best thing that could have happened for me! Definitely happened for a reason.

As far as course content goes we have some lectures with the Med students, and so many modules are similar if not the same as them.

I have made friends that I know I will stay close to for a long time to come and I've had experiences that I never thought I would! College is incredible no matter what course you do. Its about developing as a person as well as getting the course you want. I have applied for medicine again, hoping that the extra 25 for maths will benefit me somehow, but I now know it really really isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work out. There's always postgrad.. And doing a course like physio gets you involved in so many clinical areas and gives you experience in pretty much every aspect of the hospital. And again the people really are great!

I've been in that place before where getting medicine is the be-all and end-all of everything and you feel like all your hopes lie on just one day, but trust me, no matter where you are in September you are headed towards one of the best experiences of your life.. I envy you starting all over again!

Thank you SO much for this. Of all the things that I've read and had said to me today this is by far the best. I'm still disappointed but I just feel better knowing that doing a different course won't be terrible! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dawsongA

Thank you SO much for this. Of all the things that I've read and had said to me today this is by far the best. I'm still disappointed but I just feel better knowing that doing a different course won't be terrible! :)

No problem at all!! :) there is a certain clarity that comes with leaving the old LC behind you. Best of luck with everything though, but no matter what, it really does all work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

I know this has been asked a million times already but...
    guys, can someone speculate on what the point will rise by next year? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

I know this has been asked a million times already but...
    guys, can someone speculate on what the point will rise by next year? :o

I'd guess somewhere between 5 and 10 probably like 7

Advertisement