Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 banter212

Hope everyone is ok with their scores.. for everyone who did well congrats but for anyone who is disheartened take today to gorge on some ice-cream and watch telly and then forget about it.. there's always next year if you really have your heart set on med! A friend of mine came up from the 40th to the 80 somethingth percentile after repeating last year and is now studying in galway :) ps this thread kept me sane waiting for the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

sorry to ask this but whats the chance of trinity(because it is 5 years over ucd's 6, ive already lost a year) with 750 overall?
    I know im on the boarder.
    i went from 35 to 91 percentile with 150-
    190 this year. i'm doing human health and disease this year if anyone wants to know about it. it was good for a repeat year like i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

spasmaster wrote: »
    sorry to ask this but whats the chance of trinity(because it is 5 years over ucd's 6, ive already lost a year) with 750 overall?
    i went from 35 to 91 percentile with 150-190 this year. i'm doing human health and disease this year if anyone wants to know about it. it was good for a repeat year like i did.

Could you tell me how you found it actually? Thinking about doing HH&D and repeating the HPAT.

190 this year. i'm doing human health and disease this year if anyone wants to know about it. it was good for a repeat year like i did.

Trinity was 739 last year. The Hpat results seem to basically have remained the same this year so that combined with the fact there's bonus points for honours maths i'd say it'll go up to around 745 so hopefully you'll get it :)

To be honest i hated it, but i would have hated every other couse apart from med( iv'e wanted to be a surgeon since i was 5).
    The hours for the first half arn't bad, like 21 or so. the curriculem was split into maths(dont do after christmas),
    pshycology ( not after christmas),
    bio-chemistry and biology.
    In the last 6 weeks there was only about 9 hours a week of classes. I enjoyed the hours so i could study for the hpat. i did 3 hours a day the month leading up to it.
    I picked it so i could do grad med only. it's in its third year so no one knows what are the likley jobs, dont let that deter you, there might be many.
    There are about 34 people in it. Many people like it but at least 15 repeated the hpat and i don't know how many will be leaving next year. In the second year there are classes with the med students from first year, so you get to do some med stuff.
    But for me the course was only ever a means to medicine, you might end up loving it.
    As for not getting good results, I was there last year, i know what it was like, I hope you can carry through to those who didn't get it.

Best of luck with all your decisions.

• Advertisement

banter212 wrote: »
    Trinity was 739 last year. The Hpat results seem to basically have remained the same this year so that combined with the fact there's bonus points for honours maths i'd say it'll go up to around 745 so hopefully you'll get it :)

Thanks man, it realy means a lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lads, how did you people get better at the HPAT? What with the day that's in it, I was looking at real questions properly for the first time, more out of curiosity than anything, and like...I'm awful. Really awful. I mean, Section 2's alright and 1 isn't spectacularly awful but 3...*shudder*

Really hope the HPAT goes in the next year -_- I'm good at the Leaving Cert...this, not so much. :p How the feck is guessing (in my case) the middle picture of a sequence going to determine whether anyone's going to be a decent doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I'd say you have a very good chance. I'm on 747 and going for Trinity too so I hope anyway!

Slow Show wrote: »
    Lads, how did you people get better at the HPAT? What with the day that's in it, I was looking at real questions properly for the first time, more out of curiosity than anything, and like...I'm awful. Really awful. I mean, Section 2's alright and 1 isn't spectacularly awful but 3...*shudder*

Really hope the HPAT goes in the next year -_- I'm good at the Leaving Cert...this, not so much. :p How the feck is guessing (in my case) the middle picture of a sequence going to determine whether anyone's going to be a decent doctor?

I sat the HPAT for the first time this year. I remember looking at the questions too for the first time and not having a clue how to do section 3 :pac: but then i did the ***entry prep course and i think it really helped ( however they'll always be some pick the middles you'll have to guess!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

You think that with HEAR you'll have a chance? I got 170 and had completely given up but if HEAR can make that much of a difference then maybe I shouldn't give up completely.

Or am I being unrealistic? Can someone put this into perspective for me?

i know someone who got less than 700 on hear and got in but it all depends on applicants etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

e1994 wrote: »
    Got the exact same as you.. Please say there is hope for us!!

Wait I got 179 and 80th percentile as well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doctorbecs

My score is just so horribly plain.. Like I might just scrape in with a LC but ugggggghhhhhh my dreams are over (for now at least)

So... Second choices everyone?

i did biomed in ucd for a year while repeating the hpat, if u get it on repeat u go into stage 2 (no premed) med... best decision ever great basis for medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKF

What do you think NUIG will be this year?

JamieKF wrote: »
    What do you think NUIG will be this year?

I'd say around 733-735 :) I'm thinking of going there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

Man Utd lost to City and I got 150 in the HPAT.

this day sucks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I sat the HPAT for the first time this year. I remember looking at the questions too for the first time and not having a clue how to do section 3 :pac: but then i did the ***entry prep course and i think it really helped ( however they'll always be some pick the middles you'll have to guess!) :D

Hmmm, wasn't really relishing the prospect of paying It Who Must Not Be Named's extortionate fees but I guess it beats repeating. I dunno, loads of time to think about it yet I suppose. :pac:

Hmmm, wasn't really relishing the prospect of paying It Who Must Not Be Named's extortionate fees but I guess it beats repeating. I dunno, loads of time to think about it yet I suppose. :pac:

Book with a friend and you get a 40% discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKF

Thanks! So what do you think will be the minimum number of points required this year for Medicine in any college, factoring in the bonus points for maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Book with a friend and you get a 40% discount :D
    It's still extortionate. :P

If you want to torture yourself with guessing points, look back over past years and see how applicant number increases/decreases have affected the points proportionally for medicine. You'll have to factor in fluctuations in the average HPAT score to get a fair comparison. You must also be aware of colleges changing their intake (as far as I'm aware, intake in 2012 will be the same as 2011 - but look it up.) Then you can try and guess what the HL maths will do to the points - I think they'll cause an increase greater than 5 points due to all the people being brought into the 550-625 range thanks to the bonus points. Guessing the maths really is a wildcard.

I wouldn't advise you do it, but if you want to, you should get a reasonable accurate estimate, giving or taking a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If you're good at section 1 and 2 you can still do well without doing spectacularly in section 3. Section 3 was always going to be weaker for me, my scores in the end were 69 80 53 - so I'd say try not to worry too much about section 3, it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. I think I only got 13 questions in it right in the practise test I did. :P

• Advertisement

Ok, just a really quick question.

I got 170, which is the 69th percentile... If I get the 550 points is there any way that the HEAR scheme (if I get it) would bring me up to where I need to be?

Or am I just kidding myself at this stage? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ok, just a really quick question.

I got 170, which is the 69th percentile... If I get the 550 points is there any way that the HEAR scheme (if I get it) would bring me up to where I need to be?

Or am I just kidding myself at this stage? :/

Are you doing honours maths? How likely are you to get 600 points?

Your absolute max with those 2 is 735.

I think no matter what the predictions and speculations are, anyone with a fairly decent HPAT and a good Leaving Cert will be hopeful until the day the offers are out. I'm not going to make any predictions as to the points, there are speculations all over the place, and we really don't know. Obviously 735 would have got you a place last year, so you're not completely out of it, it will all depend on how the points go.

If you did qualify for the HEAR scheme, 735 would probably be more than enough. I don't know exactly how they calculate the HEAR points, and they only allocate a certain number of places for it in each college, but that is higher than what got in last year from HEAR.

Are you doing honours maths? How likely are you to get 600 points?

Your absolute max with those 2 is 735.

I think no matter what the predictions and speculations are, anyone with a fairly decent HPAT and a good Leaving Cert will be hopeful until the day the offers are out. I'm not going to make any predictions as to the points, there are speculations all over the place, and we really don't know. Obviously 735 would have got you a place last year, so you're not completely out of it, it will all depend on how the points go.

If you did qualify for the HEAR scheme, 735 would probably be more than enough. I don't know exactly how they calculate the HEAR points, and they only allocate a certain number of places for it in each college, but that is higher than what got in last year from HEAR.

I am doing honours maths, which makes 600 more achievable for me than it would've been without it. :)

I suppose there's just no way to know for certain until we get the offers! :') Thanks for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

k guys help needed here, so this is my first time doing this and i got 132, i was thinking if HEAR does apply to me then do i stand a good chance? I dont mind NUIG or anything.
    oh and i am capable of pulling a good score and i do higher maths aswell. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

You can get in on 15% lower points but i wudnt hold my breath on it im in da same boat as u except im under dare but medicine is so compeditive dat hear and dare only work for like 10 r 15 poinTs short sorry guess we will be repeatin da hpat next yr =P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emilyh

I only got 77th percentile. Had absolutely worked myself to the ground with Hpat. Everyday for an hour and more! This test is so flawed and unfair!
    I got 45-61-70 and this would have been enough for 2 years ago but now that everyone CAN study for it (which they said you dont need to) then the percentiles are only ever going to get higher and higher until in a few year times(if they dont get rid of it before then) everyone will need 95th percentile plus.
    There is no justification in this test. How can the LC not prove that a student is hard working,committed and can deal under time pressure?
    I still cannot understand how this test can pick the 'cream of the crop' of doctors. The Irish universities need to bring in interviews so that they can see the true personalities of people, something which is not possible through a piece of paper.

I congratulate the second timers who finally beat this unfair system and are going to achieve their goal. Hopefully I will find myself in your position this time next year because there is a very very very slim chance that I could possibly get in anywhere.

And to those lucky few who excelled first time round, i envy you all.

And of course my fellow disappointees, lets just try and work together to achieve our dream and fingers crossed I will be sitting next to you in a lecture hall in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

emilyh wrote: »
    I only got 77th percentile. Had absolutely worked myself to the ground with Hpat. Everyday for an hour and more! This test is so flawed and unfair!

Hopefully I will find myself in your position this time next year because there is a very very very slim chance that I could possibly get in anywhere.
    Eh, the 77th percentile is plenty to get into medicine with a good Leaving Cert (I got in being in the 72nd percentile last year!). You're still very much in the race. The chance is anything but "very very slim" unless you've done absolutely nothing for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

does anyone know where to find the figures for how many people applied to medicine/took hpat over the years (including this year)

edit: found the cao stats for medicine this year, which includes graduate entry so it's hard to say if the rise is because of gmeds or not. would be much more useful to have the hpat number of candidates..

2012 2011
    14,711 14,276 -- Medicine Applicants -- difference is + 435 3.05%
    3,719 3,591 -- Medcine as 1st preference -- difference is +128 3.56%

As for the hpat results being lower this year - I don't think it's going to be enough to effect any drop or alleviate any of the increase due to honours maths.. 181 gets you 83rd percentile in both 2012 and 2011, whereas in 2010 when points were lower 181 was 91st percentile.

By these figures and the fact that the leaving cert bell curve means results don't fluctuate too much year on year, an increase in points for medicine is definitely on the cards.. not great news for people like me sitting on 737 points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HA!

It is almost impossible to know what the points for medicine will be this year since the points for maths are changing. Being realistic they will invariably go up.

Being someone who went up 20% in the HPAT last year I agree that the whole thing is a joke. There should be interviews and personal statements like they do with the UCAS in the UK.

Someone earlier said they everyone would need 95%+ to get into medicine. This person obviously has no idea how the HPAT works. The % is your RELATIVE score in comparison to everyone else that sat the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

80th percentile........Happy enough I suppose!! Would ye think this is enough with a good leaving cert for RCSI (first choice) - I got 590 in the mocks.....:confused:
    BTW Congratulations to eneyone who did really well and to thoser who aren't as happy.......there are more than one way to get in, even if it does mean one extra year!!

Advertisement