Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

Unfortunately i'd say that's almost a certainty.

didnt people get in with like 545 last year? so they will be up around 580?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

kitty9 wrote: »
    will the points go up for pharmacy in TCD this year cos of honours maths?
    Unfortunately i'd say that's almost a certainty.

It shouldnt realy matter cause you'l get 25 extra. Most courses will go up by 25.

spasmaster wrote: »
    It shouldnt realy matter cause you'l get 25 extra. Most courses will go up by 25.

true yeah. just better get at least a B1 in maths plus the A1s in Bio, Chem, Ag Science, Economics and German/English

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

didnt people get in with like 545 last year? so they will be up around 580?
    They did on the second round yes.

As for 580, i'd say that'd be the maximum it would go up to. 570 the minimum.

They did on the second round yes.

As for 580, i'd say that'd be the maximum it would go up to. 570 the minimum.

OK I know what I must aim for now seeing as the HPAT knocked me out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

@above: bonus points apply to a previous sittings of the leaving cert if you are using them. I did mine in 2003 and get bonus points this year.

Here's a quote from projectmaths.com:

Thanks for those figures, still it's impossible to try an accurately predict anything from them.. Worth mentioning that it's only paper 2 for project maths this year, so half the maths mark is still falling under the old system.

The only changes I see that are possible due to the bonus marks are:

- small number of people with 550+ getting an extra 5 marks which would indicate a 5 mark increase MAX. Also remember that the majority WON'T be getting a 5 mark increase, much more likely is that a large number of these students will get a 1-3 point increase.

- people in the 520+ range being brought up to 550 and being able to compete if they have excellent hpat results. They are going to bring up the hpat percentile requirement, since there are just more people in and around 550 competing for places.

I can't see any logical reason for a 20 point increase though, it just doesn't make sense! somewhere between 5-10 is not beyond the realms of possibility, but I would expect it to be somewhere closer to 5 than 10!

hollingr wrote: »
    @above: bonus points apply to a previous sittings of the leaving cert if you are using them. I did mine in 2003 and get bonus points this year.

Thanks for those figures, still it's impossible to try an accurately predict anything from them.. Worth mentioning that it's only paper 2 for project maths this year, so half the maths mark is still falling under the old system.

The only changes I see that are possible due to the bonus marks are:

- small number of people with 550+ getting an extra 5 marks which would indicate a 5 mark increase MAX. Also remember that the majority WON'T be getting a 5 mark increase, much more likely is that a large number of these students will get a 1-3 point increase.

- people in the 520+ range being brought up to 550 and being able to compete if they have excellent hpat results. They are going to bring up the hpat percentile requirement, since there are just more people in and around 550 competing for places.

I can't see any logical reason for a 20 point increase though, it just doesn't make sense! somewhere between 5-10 is not beyond the realms of possibility, but I would expect it to be somewhere closer to 5 than 10!

so are you around 25 now, if you don't mind me asking? :)

i did my leaving in 2008 did science in trinity, and now did the leaving this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys i saw alot of posts saying if i get 600 or 580 points, isnt the rule of getting the maximum of 565 in medicine still apply??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    guys i saw alot of posts saying if i get 600 or 580 points, isnt the rule of getting the maximum of 565 in medicine still apply??

It still applies - they probably are just talking about pre-scaling

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

guys , is there any indication of the people who have changed there CAO's and not going for medicine anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Yes but if you get 600 that is still 10 points more than someone who gets 550, that's that they mean

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Helloxoxo wrote: »
    I'd guess somewhere between 5 and 10 probably like 7

guesses like this went on last year and everyone was wrong so quite simply you can give it up and concentrate on LC instead!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

Yes but if you get 600 that is still 10 points more than someone who gets 550, that's that they mean

oh so the max for medicine is still 565??!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

oh so the max for medicine is still 565??!

'Tis

so are you around 25 now, if you don't mind me asking? :)

i did my leaving in 2008 did science in trinity, and now did the leaving this year.

27 ! :eek:

Best of luck with gettin in! Trinity would be my 1st choice with mature entry, I think it's a great college overall. Living in front square on campus there was one of the best years of my life! Just waiting on the letters for mature entry.. any day now..
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

27 ! :eek:

Best of luck with gettin in! Trinity would be my 1st choice with mature entry, I think it's a great college overall. Living in front square on campus there was one of the best years of my life! Just waiting on the letters for mature entry.. any day now..
    :)

Really hope you get in hollingr, your posts on here have been really helpful.

Out of interest, what are the rest of your choices in order of preference?

thanks, you too!

on my cao at the moment i have:

1. RCSI
    2. UCD
    3. TCD

Nothing else on the cao.. I will change the order of preference if I get an offer for mature entry in TCD, but I know RCSI look foul upon not having it as first choice when you are going for mature entry so didn't want to take any risks this year and give myself the best chance to get in.

thanks, you too!

on my cao at the moment i have:

1. RCSI
    2. UCD
    3. TCD

Nothing else on the cao.. I will change the order of preference if I get an offer for mature entry in TCD, but I know RCSI look foul upon not having it as first choice when you are going for mature entry so didn't want to take any risks this year and give myself the best chance to get in.

So the fees for RCSI didn't put you off?
    As a mature student living in Dublin I'm trying to work out if RCSI + no rent > Galway/Cork and rent. I assume that's why you've left Galway and Cork off yours?
    By the way, I've heard great things about UCC med.

By the way, I'll be applying next year when I'm 27 too, so you're not alone.

• Advertisement

ah well, if all else fails I'll be eligible to apply as a geriatric student in another 30 yrs or so! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aftermanydays

Hi
    I am a UK student based in Scotland, hoping to go to TCD for medicine. This forum has been an enormous help in getting me through Hpat. I think I've scored highly enough to make my first choice - provided I get my predicted A level grades. What I am not sure about is whether there is a quota of non-Irish students. The literature isn't clear, somewhere I read about "proportionality", but it's not really explained. Does anyone know the answer?

Hi
    I am a UK student based in Scotland, hoping to go to TCD for medicine. This forum has been an enormous help in getting me through Hpat. I think I've scored highly enough to make my first choice - provided I get my predicted A level grades. What I am not sure about is whether there is a quota of non-Irish students. The literature isn't clear, somewhere I read about "proportionality", but it's not really explained. Does anyone know the answer?

I don't, but I know people who applied from the UK last year and they just had to get the right number of points and were in, so presumably there's no quota or the points would be different?

I'm an A-level applicant too, out of interest, what grades and HPAT are you looking at to get in? Because by my calculation with my HPAT (191) i really need A*A*A*A with an A* in maths! :S

Paralysis wrote: »
    I don't, but I know people who applied from the UK last year and they just had to get the right number of points and were in, so presumably there's no quota or the points would be different?

I'm an A-level applicant too, out of interest, what grades and HPAT are you looking at to get in? Because by my calculation with my HPAT (191) i really need A*A*A*A with an A* in maths! :S

You should be fine, even with A*AAA, that equates to 556 (including bonus points for Maths) +191 Hpat = 747. It should be enough even with 'inflation'.

I got 204 (don't know how) and hoping to get A*A*AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 moll_bangers

lads i think hollingr deserves three cheers for the support theyve given us throughout the ENTIRE thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

To the uk students, do you mind if I ask why you want to study medicine in Ireland?

finality wrote: »
    To the uk students, do you mind if I ask why you want to study medicine in Ireland?

My whole family's Irish, and I love Dublin, and want to move back, i'd be happy to go to the places in the UK that I got into, but TCDs really my 1st choice

finality wrote: »

To be honest, initially it was to widen my chances of getting into med school, because we are limited to four applications through UCAS. However, the more I looked at Trinity, the more I liked it and when I was rejected by Cambridge and Imperial, it became my top choice. I've got cousins over there too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 browniess

hollingr,
    your posts have given me a lot of reason to be optimistic...
    still believe i'm going to miss out by 1 or 2 points (or more).

I just wanted to point out that there was an 8 point increase between 2009 and 2010, even though there was hardly any fluctuation in hpat percentiles (from what i read, i could be wrong), similar to this year, and of course without the added maths bonus points. it could have been due to the number of applicants.

NUIG 2009: 712
    NUIG 2010: 719*
    (the cao site is closed at the moment for me to confirm this, but i think that's right)

I guess it all comes down to this years leaving-certers, which doesn't fill me with hope either seeing there will be points/ grade inflation in maths this year. well, no point speculating I guess. mildly hopeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

browniess wrote: »
    hollingr,
    your posts have given me a lot of reason to be optimistic...
    still believe i'm going to miss out by 1 or 2 points (or more).

I just wanted to point out that there was an 8 point increase between 2009 and 2010, even though there was hardly any fluctuation in hpat percentiles (from what i read, i could be wrong), similar to this year, and of course without the added maths bonus points. it could have been due to the number of applicants.

NUIG 2009: 712
    NUIG 2010: 719*
    (the cao site is closed at the moment for me to confirm this, but i think that's right)

I guess it all comes down to this years leaving-certers, which doesn't fill me with hope either seeing there will be points/ grade inflation in maths this year. well, no point speculating I guess. mildly hopeful

There was about a 10 point raise in the higher percentiles.

Advertisement