Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

well to be honest im struggling to pay my fees and cant get SUSI so its like a really nice opportunity :) (i read u dont pay school fees) , who knows people can change in a few months maybe by second year ill turn into a genius especially if i spend all of summer studying for all of the tests im gonna fail (messing ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

How bad are schols actually? I mean I'd like to say I'll go for them but realistically speaking I doubt I'm smart enough :P Need to get through the summer exams first!

Oh and with 1006 Scortho Henman didn't have an essay last year (Cicely and Ryder) even though he had one every year beforehand.. They probably caught a lot of people with it so I think covering all bases will be neccessary unfortunately :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/schol_search.cgi?Course=016&acyear=2012

The exams are held in January and they're a bit above the standard of the 2nd year annual exams. The biggest challenge is the layout of the papers though. Paper 1 has two modules PH2001/PH2003 and Paper 2 spans three modules PH2004/PH2006 and PH2009 (Whose amount of content isn't far off JF Physiology). Paper 3 is a set of five questions (Pharmaceutics, Chemistry, Practice, Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy) based on a set of papers you have to read on a particular topic. Last year was diabetes, this year was asthma, next year who knows.

Having to study so many different modules for a single paper is just unimaginably horrible. To give you an idea of what it was like, check out what was being said back in January: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82529877#1887 The day before the exam I was very seriously considering to just forfeit, cut my losses and just enjoy the last week of the christmas holidays. The fact that they're optional makes it all too easy to lose your resolve.

They're pretty intense but with five people this year, they're far from impossible. I'd highly recommend doing the exams, even if you're not completely confident you'll get a first. At the very least, you'll be well-prepped for most of the Michaelmas term material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    How bad are schols actually? I mean I'd like to say I'll go for them but realistically speaking I doubt I'm smart enough :P Need to get through the summer exams first!

Oh and with 1006 Scortho Henman didn't have an essay (Cicely and Ryder) even though he had one every year beforehand.. They probably caught a lot of people with it so I think covering all bases will be neccessary unfortunately :P

Henman didnt have an essay?! Sweet jesus thatd been a tough exam. Cicely's one is ethics and crap wasnt it.

I knew i wasnt schols material from day one. When I saw some of my friends struggle and burnout from the study I decided Id be better off enjoying my time! considering no one from my year got them Ive no regrets.

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    well to be honest im struggling to pay my fees and cant get SUSI so its like a really nice opportunity :) (i read u dont pay school fees) , who knows people can change in a few months maybe by second year ill turn into a genius especially if i spend all of summer studying for all of the tests im gonna fail (messing ;))

Sure see how you get on.

On the fees do you have to pay the full whack or the reg? I dont get susi either, i end up doing 2 twelve hour shifts at the weekend to pay for mine

• Advertisement

Yeah his question was almost the exact same every year which would've been nice :P Cicely's stuff is ethics kinda stuff, code of conduct, community and hospital pharmacy. I wouldn't be surprised if she had an essay and then it'd be a toss up between Ryder and Henman.

Schols sounds like great craic :P As long as its Michaelmas term only I might try keep on top of it and see what happens. It'd be no harm keeping on top of SF stuff by the sounds of it. I'll try get through first year first however :D

Brings back memories... last year before the PH1006 exam we all spent the morning learning a pre-written answer for Henman's set of three questions (Because they hadn't changed for so many years).

The minute we turned over the papers... "ah for fucks sake" :p

I did Cicely's essay which was strangely reminiscent of English Paper I back in the LC.

Scortho wrote: »
    Sure see how you get on.

On the fees do you have to pay the full whack or the reg? I dont get susi either, i end up doing 2 twelve hour shifts at the weekend to pay for mine

7000 euro a year if it doesnt increase :'(

How bad an idea would it be to just learn for 5-6 of the SAQs for Physiology and learn the MCQs? I figure it'd be better to know 60% of it pretty well instead of having a basic understanding of 100% since the questions are so specific.

Scortho, how was the Microbio MCQ last year if you can still remember it?

What kind of questions are asked?

• Advertisement

Scortho, how was the Microbio MCQ last year if you can still remember it?

What kind of questions are asked?

It was great...I ended up back in August redoing the ****ing thing!

I totally neglected it until the day before when I realised that there was a lot in it. Repeat went well though....concentrate on the latter part of it than the first part unless microbes and fungi are of interest to you.

The latter part was stuff like vaccines and viruses which at least were more relevant to pharmacy. Mcqs were grand! I thing it was quarter neg marking so at that rate your better of guessing the ones you don't know. According to gus I'd have passed first time had I done that!:/ there were some tricky mcqs though that unless you knew every lecture inside out, you were going to end up guessing them or leave them blank.

7000 euro a year if it doesnt increase :'(

In that case move into the 24 hr reading room. I didn't realise it was that high! You could get notes of a scholar as well.

How bad an idea would it be to just learn for 5-6 of the SAQs for Physiology and learn the MCQs? I figure it'd be better to know 60% of it pretty well instead of having a basic understanding of 100% since the questions are so specific.

I'd be of the same mind. Do as much as you can without neglecting the other subjects. No point in getting a first in physiology and failing 02 and 03.

There are topics that come up all the time. Look back over the last few years and see what topics came up the most. From recollection cardio and pregnancy make a regular appearance.

Hi everyone,
    I am sitting the Leaving Cert in June and Pharmacy is 2nd on my CAO (Veterinary being first) but I'm thinking of switching it to first due to wider career options, possibilities to work internationally etc
    How do you guys find the course? Is it enjoyable? I am doing HL Chemistry, Biology and Maths and they are my favourite classes.

Hi everyone,
    I am sitting the Leaving Cert in June and Pharmacy is 2nd on my CAO (Veterinary being first) but I'm thinking of switching it to first due to wider career options, possibilities to work internationally etc
    How do you guys find the course? Is it enjoyable? I am doing HL Chemistry, Biology and Maths and they are my favourite classes.

What area are you interested in.
    Community pharmacy or hospital.

It is a good course that has great opportunities but if you're more interested in community or hospital pharmacy I'd recommend the RCSI.
    If you really like science and would have an interest in working in industry then if recommend trinity.
    A Lot of what we do on the course is orientated towards industry as opposed towards clinical pharmacy which is annoying considering most of us will end up doing clinical pharmacy.

On the international opportunities it really is only the eu and Canada that your qualified To work in. Both the US and Austrailia require further exams of which the exams in the US are hard to sit.

What's the PH2003 MCQ like? What sort of questions are asked?

I don't understand why they can't just put up a sample MCQ for some of these papers instead of leaving it a surprise.

What's the PH2003 MCQ like? What sort of questions are asked?

I don't understand why they can't just put up a sample MCQ for some of these papers instead of leaving it a surprise.

Some of the questions are grand and some are tricky! It's only 10 though so it ain't too bad.
    Did sasse not go over them in the tutorial?
    I think one or two were similar to the 06 ones but I left them blank!:)
    Make sure to tick the I don't feckin no box for the ones your not sure of as they dock you one mark for that...something to do with us being future professionals and admitting when we don't know!
    A few of my friends came out neg. on it which was a bit awful...pushed a few into the repeat category.

It could be worse. 3004 is 2 hour mcq exam with 36 mcqs....nearly one for each lecture!:/

guys roughly how many hours of study are you doing per day at this stage of the year :)

guys roughly how many hours of study are you doing per day at this stage of the year :)

12 ish!:( and a lot of wasted time on boards.

Why do you ask?

you cant be serious, 12??????
    i do a third of that :'( omg!

• Advertisement

dont u like take breaks and stuff, in fairness i was expecting u to say 8 or something. how do u do it like when do u wake up and stuff :D

12ish as well but I burn out at the end :P I'm not getting much done though :pac:

12ish as well but I burn out at the end :P I'm not getting much done though :pac:
    u too jack :o

thats it then tomorrow im doing 13 hours straight!!!! >:(

13 hours straight is a bit much :P Just make a plan and stick to it. If we do the work now we won't have to repeat (hopefully). Honestly the LC was a walk in the park in comparison.

true i miss it so much never taught id say this but the taught of studying in summer is too much :O

this is an email from aine kelly:

Read the question carefully and answer specifically what is asked. No marks are given for irrelevant information.
    Don’t question sport or try to predict questions – there is absolutely no pattern or formula to the way we set questions each year.
    If you are asked specifically for a table/flow chart/diagram etc then provide one.
    It is fine to answer questions in bullet point form. However, if you are asked to ‘describe’ a mechanism, prose style would be required.
    If you know the material in the lecture slides, you are sure of passing and getting a good mark. Students who do background reading in relevant sections of the recommended textbooks and understand that material have a better chance of achieving excellent marks.

apparently the slides alone are enough to get a good mark which might be around 60 so if u want dont waste too much time looking for detail in the book

dont u like take breaks and stuff, in fairness i was expecting u to say 8 or something. how do u do it like when do u wake up and stuff :D

Study from 8 until 2 then take one hour then study form 3 until 6 and take an hour then 7 until 9 take an hour and do one last hour of study!
    I'd normally take a 5-10 min after each hour just to give me a quick rest and then back into it.

How do I do it? Lets just say I've spent far too much time in the hamilton library in July and August to know that I have to do it!
    Oh and I want to change my car so being able to work more will increase the budget!:)

Unless you're looking for a first from physiology, the slides and mcqs should be fine. Jack will tell you how much I used my old physiology book!:D

13 hours straight is a bit much :P Just make a plan and stick to it. If we do the work now we won't have to repeat (hopefully). Honestly the LC was a walk in the park in comparison.

I definitely agree! I've more notes for one module than I did for my entire lc. One module consists of 3000 slides as well (I was bored....;/)

• Advertisement

Ah Physiology.. Personally I like to end the day with it.. Ya know something to look forward to :P I find with some of the lecturers you'll be fine with the slides but I read the chapter anyway to try make it stick.

Did you even open that Physiology book? :P

Advertisement